Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dook Goo Kau Bai ANTI-Glorification Thread

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    How many people actually think Dugu is a match for Sweeper anyway?
    I think many YG fans think so (at least IMHO).

Oh, in case you are wondering. I subscribe to the theory that a big part of the DGKB hype is because of YG fans who wish for YG to be elevated-by-association.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post

Oh, in case you are wondering. I subscribe to the theory that a big part of the DGKB hype is because of YG fans who wish for YG to be elevated-by-association.
    Indeed, and if that isn't enough, he's got the Ling Wu Chung/SPW fans too.

And because Jin Yong is so deliberately vague and obtuse in characterizing Dook Goo Kau Bai and his skills, there's a great amount of plausible deniability for them to exploit.

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post

I just think a dude who creates a martial arts that can propel a weakling such as Yang Guo to Greats level in a month should get major props. As well as the benefit of the doubt. It's stretching it much more to for him to be a quack as suggested many times by some people *ahem ahem* than it is for him to be the ultimate swordsman of the JY universe. He has after all shown he has reached amazing levels in both inner strength through HIS and technique in DG9J.

On a side note Ken, would you really be annoyed if some Dugu debate/discussion got going on here as this is an anti-glorification thread? I'll stop if you wish, but I figure discussion is always welcomed and I really don't have a new subject to make for a thread.

On a side note Ken, would you really be annoyed if some Dugu debate/discussion got going on here as this is an anti-glorification thread?
    Yes, I would.

However, if anybody would like to start a general Dook Goo Kau Bai thread or even a Glorification Thread, I wouldn't object.

Well, actually I *would* object, but I'd keep that to myself and just bite my tongue (or fingers, actually).

Okey dokey !

Yet in threads where we list super powerful figures or whatever...HS constantly comes up while the Greats are nowhere to be mentioned. He is overrated as well....or at least without proof.

I never said Dugu is SM level, it doesn't seem anyone is. I do think that he is most likely #2 of actual characters named. How many people actually think Dugu is a match for Sweeper anyway?
    Not exactly true. HS does not get nearly the amount of reverence as Dugu or let's say... Creator of KHBD.

Even listing Dugu as #2 is absurd because we know barely anything about him. He's as mysterious a character as creator of QKDNY, KHBD, 9 Yin etc.. These guys don't nearly get rated like Dugu does. Characters like him shouldn't even be ranked seriously. Fun rankings don't hurt though.

Regarding YG's progress in 1 month, did you also think of the 16 years when YG seemed to make small improvements?

We're not supposed to discuss it here !

But regarding the other creators, Dugu has two separate martial arts in two separate novels that boosted the protagonist to the top levels within a really short period of time. He also gets considerably more text space in descriptions compared to the other two. It's really not absurd at all to think he would be given more recognition than the other two. His description is also more impressive. From just merit of his two arts, I think it isn't absurd at all. Can he be proven #2? Of course not. But absurd is much too strong of a word.

It might be true that both DG9J and HIS have huge diminishing returns, but it's not really a fault. If someone who studied DG9J/HIS for a month fought someone who studied 9 Yin for a month he would trounce them. If they end up exactly equal 20 years later, then DG9J/HIS is superior because for the first 20 or so years, you had more benefits. I'm not saying that's the case at all, but I'm just pointing out that it's not really a counter to YG's decreased improvement. If 9 Yin/KHBD etc take you to a higher level at the very end, then that's a different story, but we don't know that. For now, the super uber boost within a month is definitely a positive of Dugu's two arts that we know 9 Yin cannot do. Hong Qi Gong had Guo Jing recite 9 Yin and he said it would be years even under his tutelage with 9 Yin before him + Huang Rong could compete with Ouyang Feng on the island.

I just think a dude who creates a martial arts that can propel a weakling such as Yang Guo to Greats level in a month should get major props. As well as the benefit of the doubt. It's stretching it much more to for him to be a quack as suggested many times by some people *ahem ahem* than it is for him to be the ultimate swordsman of the JY universe. He has after all shown he has reached amazing levels in both inner strength through HIS and technique in DG9J.
    Haha! I don't argue about DGKB being intended by JY to be a major bada$$.

I just refuse to accept him being anywhere _near_ Sweeper Monk levels.

I mean, would Sweeper Monk be 'extremely surprised/pleased' by RWX's martial arts? Not saying that SM likes these kind of things, but I mean RWX's level is enough to make DGKB 'happy' but to SM, it would probably make no difference if it was RWX or JMZ he was flicking away with his sleeve.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

I'm sure you know this by my previous posts, but yeah I place nobody anywhere remotely close to SM because he dismantled XYS and MRB. But I don't really think Dugu is very far from #2 if not definitely there.

But I don't really think Dugu is very far from #2 if not definitely there.
    *Runs around screaming, pulling hair out of head, wondering why people can't follow the simplest instructions.*

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    *Runs around screaming, pulling hair out of head, wondering why people can't follow the simplest instructions.*
    I am antiglorifying him from #1 to #2

We're not supposed to discuss it here !

But regarding the other creators, Dugu has two separate martial arts in two separate novels that boosted the protagonist to the top levels within a really short period of time. He also gets considerably more text space in descriptions compared to the other two. It's really not absurd at all to think he would be given more recognition than the other two. His description is also more impressive. From just merit of his two arts, I think it isn't absurd at all. Can he be proven #2? Of course not. But absurd is much too strong of a word.

It might be true that both DG9J and HIS have huge diminishing returns, but it's not really a fault. If someone who studied DG9J/HIS for a month fought someone who studied 9 Yin for a month he would trounce them. If they end up exactly equal 20 years later, then DG9J/HIS is superior because for the first 20 or so years, you had more benefits. I'm not saying that's the case at all, but I'm just pointing out that it's not really a counter to YG's decreased improvement. If 9 Yin/KHBD etc take you to a higher level at the very end, then that's a different story, but we don't know that. For now, the super uber boost within a month is definitely a positive of Dugu's two arts that we know 9 Yin cannot do. Hong Qi Gong had Guo Jing recite 9 Yin and he said it would be years even under his tutelage with 9 Yin before him + Huang Rong could compete with Ouyang Feng on the island.
    Oh well, hijacking happens all the time .

I don't really think having TWO skills in TWO seperate books means much. Especially not with LHC, whose level is lower than RWX, who in turn has no claim on Greats.

Not saying HIS/DJ9J has a fault being diminished returns, it's more saying they are not nearly as amazing overall, the big picture.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    Even listing Dugu as #2 is absurd because we know barely anything about him. He's as mysterious a character as creator of QKDNY, KHBD, 9 Yin etc.. These guys don't nearly get rated like Dugu does. Characters like him shouldn't even be ranked seriously. Fun rankings don't hurt though.
    Ah, but would you suddenly cry foul if people ranked him barely above great level?

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, remember?

Quote Originally Posted by ChanceEncounter View Post
    Ah, but would you suddenly cry foul if people ranked him barely above great level?

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence, remember?
    I wouldn't actually. There is no evidence any of his students surpassed Greats level.

But generally, given your phrase, as I said before, there shouldn't be any serious ranking made for characters like DGQB.

Don't make me need to use this thread again, people...

Oops. Too late.

Why dont you hate the creator of 9 Yin as much as Dugu?

He shares a lot of similar qualities.

Most people automatically put him in legendary awesome way above Greats level, he technically has not proven himself in battle (on screen) just as Dugu has not, all he has as proof is the 9 Yin manuals, and 9 Yin doesn't even seem as awesome as Dugu 9 Swords or Heavy Iron Sword to boot.

His name isn't as cool though, so maybe that's why he has less fans and thus less hate from anti-fans.
    Many years ago, people put Huang Shang and DGQB were put on a par. Now,any people seem to equate DGQB with SM. However, I never hear people comparing HD with SM. In fact, I don't see much about HS at all.

Just because every once in an all too frequent while, people need to be reminded.