Thread: When do people stop becoming a blur?

Default When do people stop becoming a blur?

Weird thread title I know.

When weak martial artists watch master fighters fight, they're always a blur and they don't even know what's happening. But why is this? When you gain super inner strength, your eyes don't suddenly see better or process information faster in your brain. Xu Zhu with 3 billion years of inner strength still could barely see Jiumozhi and got kicked a couple times without even realizing it. So I assume it must be conditioning, where the more you watch people fight, the less blurry they become.

But then how come some people like Wuji can come out and not see everyone else fighting as a blur? He has great inner strength, but he's never seen anyone fight before, nevermind awesome techniques that the elite people he fought with had. He should have seen them blurry, and got stabbed by a sword don't you think?

Think of it as a plot device.

For example, JY described Xu Zhu running by as 'a blur'.

The human eye can catch shotgun pellets and mortar shells (object much smaller then an adult human) moving through the air at several hundred kph. For a human sized object to become 'a blur', they have to be travelling at stupid speeds like maybe 600-900 kph?

At that kind of speed, when Xu Zhu runs past you, you'd better be more worried about the wind blast then his 'blurness'.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Agree pretty much.

Funny how how we try to use physics in some things, but others things is just meh let's not even bother.

At other times, top masters fighting are described as plain and simple looking because it’s a contest of inner strength. The plainer a fight looks, the more intense it is.

The description “blur” may not be literal.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

The way I see fights between masters: they each produce stances and stances which can attack/defend against the other's stances regardless of what the other person uses (top quality techniques) and they do this in a blur. They don't really need to SEE and then REACT.

It seems they can see each other though.

Otherwise, hidden projectiles might be a bit too powerful. Someone like Ouyang Feng would have long ago killed the ethical Greats if they could only react to certain motions such as the elbow moving upward they aim to protect the top half of their body etc. They'd have to be able to kind of see it for a lot of things to make sense.

I would think close hand to hand combat does not require seeing. Projectiles, would be a lot easier to notice and deflect considering the time and sound it will make compared to close combat.

Well I'm talking about launching a sneaky projectile from close range from a sleeve or something while engaging in close combat

I believe that with alot of experience you can come to anticipate what's going to happen from experience. If you've seen techniques done enough times, you know what they look like just from the start up of the technique.

Which is why attacks said to come from predictable angles takes them by surprise, it doesn't conform to what they're use to, like OYF's hand stand fighting.

Then there's also the logical openings you leave with each technique. If your technique protects your head while leaving your legs vulnerable. You can predict that their next attack is likely to be aimed at your legs.

Vision and hearing are automatically upgraded in people with high inner power, so they would be able to perceive the "blur."
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

My original post already states that is not the case with Xu Zhu, as he has the most inner strength out of anybody and he could not see being kicked 3-4 times. It was only after the fact that he realized he'd been kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Well I'm talking about launching a sneaky projectile from close range from a sleeve or something while engaging in close combat
    I still believe that involves considerable more motion than normal stances. Drawing projectile out, aiming and throwing. Even then, maybe the other master's 'flawless' technique would allow him to block/deflect/catch the projectile.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    I still believe that involves considerable more motion than normal stances. Drawing projectile out, aiming and throwing. Even then, maybe the other master's 'flawless' technique would allow him to block/deflect/catch the projectile.
    It shouldn't be very hard to conceal a couple needles in your sleeve, and in the middle of a stance, exert your energy into your sleeve while you're waving your arms from bottom to top or something, and sending them out. I'm sure even average folk like us could come up with a method of doing this; it wouldn't have much power, but with inner power it should be pretty deadly if they really can't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    My original post already states that is not the case with Xu Zhu, as he has the most inner strength out of anybody and he could not see being kicked 3-4 times. It was only after the fact that he realized he'd been kicked.
    You do need to concentrate your ki for the boost to come out as demonstrated by YBQ loading up his internal energy in XAJH.

It seemed like Hong Qi Gong was able to watch elite experts fine even when he was devoid of inner energy, since he could easily tell Huang Yaoshi was holding back against the Quan Zhen masters. This along with Xu Zhu not being able to see makes me think it's more of a conditioning and getting used to thing than it is reliant on inner strength.

But then Wuji who has no experience can see techniques so I don't know.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

once you get high inner power, your reactions improve, but for seeing fast moves, you must still train your eyes. even through shi potian had gained high inner power, he still couldn't avoid ding dang's strikes. he needed to train for a few days after which he had gotten used to fast movements and was able to follow them. HQG had years of experience and gained back a little inner power, so he was capable of following the fight.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Think of it as a plot device.

For example, JY described Xu Zhu running by as 'a blur'.

The human eye can catch shotgun pellets and mortar shells (object much smaller then an adult human) moving through the air at several hundred kph. For a human sized object to become 'a blur', they have to be travelling at stupid speeds like maybe 600-900 kph?

At that kind of speed, when Xu Zhu runs past you, you'd better be more worried about the wind blast then his 'blurness'.
    Not necessarily true, the key words here are angular velocity. Even if an object moves at a relatively slow 'normal' speed but at a huge angular speed with respect to the observer, it is still seen as a blur. Angular velocity is inversely proportional to the distance between the observer and the object so it's possible for Xuzhu, running at 2-300 kph, to be seen as a blur 'cause the distance between him and the dudes who were observing were just several tens of meter.