Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Avatar the Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    Avatar is like a cool roller coaster ride.
    It's more like a cliff climbing experience where at some point of time, you nearly fell off the cliff. But you feel satisfy when you've reached the peak of the cliff.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by rosely View Post
    You mean GPS for tracking device? One need several satellites constantly orbiting a planet like a moon for a GPS system to be working. They are just a private mining company and not there for terraform and population expedition. I'm sure launching a satellite is not in their main agenda huhu
    Put this in perspective. They sent personnel on a 5 year trip for a 6 year tour. That is a huge time and effort investment. The avatar project is also said to cost a crap load by itself. Satelites are getting cheaper and cheaper to launch, it is speculated in the next 10 years having your own personal satelite would be as accessible as having a website. I don't think it would be too hard by the 22nd century.

They are a mining company..... with massive battle ships and mercenaries, a research/genetics department etc. They also have GPS already, that's why the flux is screwing up their navigation and they had to rely on sight when inside the flux. How also did they gather information on the mineral deposits throughout the planet if they didn't have some form of global positioning system.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Put this in perspective. They sent personnel on a 5 year trip for a 6 year tour. That is a huge time and effort investment. The avatar project is also said to cost a crap load by itself. Satelites are getting cheaper and cheaper to launch, it is speculated in the next 10 years having your own personal satelite would be as accessible as having a website. I don't think it would be too hard by the 22nd century.

They are a mining company..... with massive battle ships and mercenaries, a research/genetics department etc. They also have GPS already, that's why the flux is screwing up their navigation and they had to rely on sight when inside the flux. How also did they gather information on the mineral deposits throughout the planet if they didn't have some form of global positioning system.
    Well. you are talking about earth. Pandora is not earth. The gravity is different etc. Pandora itself is a moon satellite, orbiting a gas giant, one of three gas giant that are themselves orbiting a bright sun - Alpha Centauri A.

In a comparison with earth system:

Sun >> Alpha Centauri A
    Earth >> One of the 3 gas giant (Polyphemus)
    Moon >> Pandora

so if you want to add a satellites system, that is like launching a satellites on the moon.

That is like a fourth level satellite. Imagine the hectic of all the conflicting gravities. Don't you see all those floating giant rocks, not moving at all. The gravity on Pandora is not normal that is why all Na'Vis are tall and huge, not enough light, hence bioluminescence like those animal on deep sea. Now you know why Cameron spent lots of his time in submersible filming all those creatures for all these years .

For a working GPS like on earth, it need 24 to 32 satellites for it to be working perfectly fine so that it can track anything on earth. It's all depends on the size of the planet.

From an economic point of view, with the inhabitable condition for human to stay on Pandora, is it worth it to launch Global Positioning System which will not be used after that, just to track some avatars hehe. I'm sure their space ships got very effective scanning system, that can scan Pandora planet for that Unobtanium deposit. There is no need for Global Positioning System for that matter.
    Last edited by rosely; 12-22-09 at 07:15 AM.

They have the technology to keep track of congregations of natives, A blue print of the planet and what lies beneath the surface. You're not selling me on the idea that they can't keep track of a hugely costly project.
    Last edited by Banh Mi; 12-23-09 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Actually, can anyone tell me whether the difference would be a major one if I watch the non-3D? I know the ticket $ is quite a difference.
    Not sure where you're planning to watch it, but where I am, there's only a $3 difference. I'd say it's worthwhile to watch it in 3-D.

I agree. The idea of the story is very similar with "Last Samurai". And what Na'vi culture? They're simply African Or is it Indian?^^

But nevertheless, I enjoyed the movie and the breathtaking imaginary world in 3D! Love the glowing plants^^
    Last edited by loislane; 12-26-09 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    Not sure where you're planning to watch it, but where I am, there's only a $3 difference. I'd say it's worthwhile to watch it in 3-D.
    I watched it in Singapore! And I took the advice from Banh Mi to watch it in 3D. The difference I paid was SGD$4.50. I planned to watch it a second time, also in 3D. I think the movie deserves it.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

My heart broke the second time as I watched my favourite male character die again.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Watched it last night with a friend in 3D. I was truly amazed at the visuals. Very awe-inspiring. James Cameron and his team did a breathtaking job and every penny of the $300 million budget was well worth it. The action sequence was quite exciting. I admit, I was on the edge of my seat.

Since my eyes are not used to the 3D glasses, I got a bad headache afterward. Going forward, I don't think 3D is for me. This movie in regular format might not be as cool, but at least I won't have to deal with the headache.

Regarding the story, nothing spectacular since the storyline is very predictable and reminiscent of Cameron's other movies. Dialogue was sometimes corny and cliched. The acting was passable, again, there won't be any awards given out. Overall, I quite enjoyed the movie. I was disappointed with the storyline, but the visuals blew me away.

Rating:Overall Grade B
    Story C
    Acting B-
    Direction A+
    Visuals A+

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    My heart broke the second time as I watched my favourite male character die again.
    Who is your favorite? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post

Since my eyes are not used to the 3D glasses, I got a bad headache afterward. Going forward, I don't think 3D is for me. This movie in regular format might not be as cool, but at least I won't have to deal with the headache.

Who is your favorite? Just curious.
    Simulation sickness too, maybe? I sat in the middle row yesterday and that still wasn't safe enough for me. Still got a minor headache, but it's still a sickening feeling.

My favourite is Tsu-tey.

Simulation sickness too, maybe? I sat in the middle row yesterday and that still wasn't safe enough for me. Still got a minor headache, but it's still a sickening feeling.

My favourite is Tsu-tey.
    I had to remove the glasses a couple times (during the non action scenes) to rest my eyes .

Ah Tsu-tey, I didn't think he would be among the casualty list. It was quite sad to see his end. I don't think I have a favorite character, but I was really impressed by the red flying creature Jake commanded near the end. Forgot its name.

I had to remove the glasses a couple times (during the non action scenes) to rest my eyes .

Ah Tsu-tey, I didn't think he would be among the casualty list. It was quite sad to see his end. I don't think I have a favorite character, but I was really impressed by the red flying creature Jake commanded near the end. Forgot its name.
    The name's Turuk.

The name's Turuk.
    That's the name!
    Reminds me of the pokemon character, Charizard.
    How do you remember all the names, Guo Xiang?

That's the name!
    Reminds me of the pokemon character, Charizard.
    How do you remember all the names, Guo Xiang?
    No idea, but they didn't seem that difficult to remember.

I remember that the clan leader's name was Eytu-can too. *bragging time*

This movie is extremely well done. Needless to say, the effects and graphics are outstanding. The storyline is familiar and some may say it is repetitive, but I must say it's presented in a way out of the ordinary.

I actually enjoyed the plot and the whole story development a lot. In a sense, it is not repetitive because all we know is the beginning and the ending (not to say if any of the characters might sadly die). The most important part is how they accomplish their goals (which is the middle). This is what captivated me and anticipated me.

The characters are very easy to follow, since Neytiri, Jake and the Na'vi brought life upon their characters. As weird as it sounds, their bonding and love for each other blew me away. There was so much emotion running through those pixel like characters haha. Amazing casts indeed!

It's been a while that I haven't watched such an amazing film in theater. Haha- this movie has been on my mind since last week, and I'll be going to see it in IMAX 3D to get the full awestruck that people have been receiving.

I give praise to this movie for giving me such an exciting journey through Pandora.
    Last edited by Sunlight_zero36; 12-29-09 at 05:04 PM.
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

just saw it in 3D, 1 word: epic
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Watched this movie twice, the 2nd time in 3D version. The graphics and special effects is great, although the plotline was a bit predictable.

To be honest, I was a little disappointed by the 3D because I expected more. Not that it's not good, just not good enough.

Breathtaking. The visuals blew me away. I'm not sure I've ever had such a fun movie experience in my life.

The plot, some will call predictable. But that does not take away from the neat characterization done. Grace was one of my favorites. It was SO SAD to see her die. I WANTED HER TO LIVE!!

James Cameron does not disappoint here. And, if Avatar does NOT win BEST PICTURE at the Golden Globes, you'll hear from me!

The stunning graphics made everything acceptable - predictable storyline, cliche characters, ok acting. This movie takes you on a journey, and you know it's a success when viewers wish they could be part of pandora's world.

I doubt there will be a movie in 2010 that will give me the same experience as Avatar did.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Am I the only person who wasn't as impressed by Avatar as everyone else I know?

I mean, I loved the graphics - those were beautifully done. I'm sure Avatar will sweep all the visual effects awards. But other than that, the movie was average. The plot, characters, everything was predictable. If it wasn't for the visuals, I doubt the movie would have gotten as good reviews as it did. Now, there is nothing wrong with a film just focusing on great artistic visions. But that alone doesn't make it the best movie of the year or something, which is what a lot of people seem to think it is. Avatar was a visual masterpiece, but that's it.
    Last edited by xJadedx; 01-02-10 at 12:48 PM.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.