Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Avatar the Movie

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight_zero36 View Post
    Well, for me I love Avatar and I like Titanic. I mean Titanic mainly has love as its most powerful theme, whereas Avatar has many aspects.
    For me, it's the opposite - love Titanic, like Avatar. I saw Titanic three times in theaters, but have no desire to pay to watch Avatar a second time. Avatar's most powerful theme is also love - love your planet and those who share it with you. There's no doubt that Avatar is a groundbreaking visual spectacle, but although its message was intended to be deep and applicable to the current goings on, the true feel of depth was somehow lacking. I concur with xJadedx and yittz's comments.

Actually, "I See You" is somewhat similar to "My Heart Will Go On" if you listen to it closely (some parts sound similar).
    James Horner suffered a lapse in creativity? Titanic's soundtrack is better.

I thought of Michael Jackson's "Earth Song" while watching Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    For me, it's the opposite - love Titanic, like Avatar. I saw Titanic three times in theaters, but have no desire to pay to watch Avatar a second time. Avatar's most powerful theme is also love - love your planet and those who share it with you. There's no doubt that Avatar is a groundbreaking visual spectacle, but although its message was intended to be deep and applicable to the current goings on, the true feel of depth was somehow lacking. I concur with xJadedx and yittz's comments.
    Add me to the list.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://s.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/web02/2010/1/3/22/james-camerons-pocohontas-err-avatar-16167-1262575848-25.jpg')
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Haha- it's the opposite for me. I went to watch Avatar twice in theater, but could only watch Titanic once in a while. I thought Titanic focused too much on Rose and Jack's love (that is the soul purpose, needless to say), while Avatar captured other varieties. I don't know if it was the idea that I've seen so many melodramas and K-dramas that made me like Titanic less than Avatar. I don't know, I just kind of missed the epic side of Hollywood, until I watched Avatar. Then I knew what I was missing out on.

The storyline may be very similar to other movies, but if I remember correctly, none of them gave me the definition of epic. It's like a combination of several good themes combined to create the grand prize .

James Horner suffered a lapse in creativity? Titanic's soundtrack is better.

I thought of Michael Jackson's "Earth Song" while watching Avatar.
    Yes, definitely agree. When I first heard Titanic's theme song, I fell in love with it. On the other hand, I had to watch Avatar to actually 'feel' for the song. At first, I thought the song was rather boring, honestly. Though, both soundtracks add to their beautiful moments ahhh.

I think I would have to watch Titanic once more to judge fairly, perhaps I might change my mind (from the last time I remember it wasn't my favorite).
    Last edited by Sunlight_zero36; 01-10-10 at 01:18 AM.
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

What I've noticed is that both of Cameron's Titanic and Avatar have recieved a backlash from a minority of people, in response to their success. That has sort of reminded me of the Tall Poppy Syndrome we have here in Australia. People can't seem to accept that a movie was great. We see a good film we enjoyed which does not recieve as much critical or commercial success as another film, and hence, we undermine the success of said successful films.

It's somehow as though we don't like the fact that something can be so acclaimed and the idea of 'overated' floats in our heads. But I truly believe there is no such thing as 'overrated' in this world. All things are worthy of praise and recognition.

It was not simply Avatar nor Titanic's visuals which stunned me (although I admit it was the largest contributing factor to why I enjoyed both films) but also the stage desgin, and soundtrack, costume design. Plot is a very important element, yes, but not the definitive, which I think is why it is important to look at films wholelistically.

Haha- it's the opposite for me. I went to watch Avatar twice in theater, but could only watch Titanic once in a while. I thought Titanic focused too much on Rose and Jack's love (that is the soul purpose, needless to say), while Avatar captured other varieties. I don't know if it was the idea that I've seen so many melodramas and K-dramas that made me like Titanic less than Avatar. I don't know, I just kind of missed the epic side of Hollywood, until I watched Avatar. Then I knew what I was missing out on.
    If you really haven't seen anything epic until Avatar, then you have missed A LOT.

The storyline may be very similar to other movies, but if I remember correctly, none of them gave me the definition of epic. It's like a combination of several good themes combined to create the grand prize .
    When you say "none of them", what movies are "them"?

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    What I've noticed is that both of Cameron's Titanic and Avatar have recieved a backlash from a minority of people, in response to their success. That has sort of reminded me of the Tall Poppy Syndrome we have here in Australia. People can't seem to accept that a movie was great. We see a good film we enjoyed which does not recieve as much critical or commercial success as another film, and hence, we undermine the success of said successful films.

It's somehow as though we don't like the fact that something can be so acclaimed and the idea of 'overated' floats in our heads. But I truly believe there is no such thing as 'overrated' in this world. All things are worthy of praise and recognition.
    Some people are like that but I can honestly say that I couldn't careless about the level of success and I'm sure I'm not alone. What matters is what I see and hear and I sincerely did not like Titanic nor Avatar that much. I enjoyed the movies, Avatar more than Titanic, but both did not have a big impact on me. Their success have nothing to do with my opinion.

It was not simply Avatar nor Titanic's visuals which stunned me (although I admit it was the largest contributing factor to why I enjoyed both films) but also the stage desgin, and soundtrack, costume design. Plot is a very important element, yes, but not the definitive, which I think is why it is important to look at films wholelistically.
    That I agree, it's just that those same elements that you like so much about Avatar are the reasons I did not like it more. From the moment I saw the trailer for the first time, I knew that I would not like Avatar that much because I dislike the arts and design of the Na'vi and the other species on Pandora--I really can't stand their look, they are annoyingly ugly to my eyes. Well done but ugly. As for the soundtrack, I don't remember a second of it. That's how much it had an impact on me. So if the plot is predictable, the acting is ok, I'm indifferent to the characters, the soundtrack is forgettable and I dislike the arts and design, then what is left for me to like? The only thing I liked about the it are the special effects. I watched it in 3D on a huge IMAX screen and that was impressive. So I take Avatar as what it is, an enjoyable ride.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21 View Post
    If you really haven't seen anything epic until Avatar, then you have missed A LOT.
    Perhaps, you have misunderstood me due to my phrasing. I meant to say that I have not seen an epic Hollywood movie for a LONG time. Now, I watch a lot of movies and I change from Korean dramas to Hollywood movies depending on my mood- haha. I don't remember any movie these past couple of years that made me feel great such as Avatar. Sure, there might be a lot of good or greater movies out there that I have yet see, however, Avatar is my favorite amongst the ones I've viewed so far (and I've seen a lot).

When you say "none of them", what movies are "them"?
    By "none of them" I meant previous movies that people are saying Avatar is ripping off from. Namely speaking, they are Pocahontas, Fern Gully and Dances with Wolves. I have seen them and none of them are even comparable to Avatar. Now, let's not talk about the animation and all. I'm just saying how they presented the idea to viewers. I just didn't get the outstanding rush I felt while watching Avatar.

Personally, I think every movie is a rip off of another. We should just learn to accept it .

That I agree, it's just that those same elements that you like so much about Avatar are the reasons I did not like it more. From the moment I saw the trailer for the first time, I knew that I would not like Avatar that much because I dislike the arts and design of the Na'vi and the other species on Pandora--I really can't stand their look, they are annoyingly ugly to my eyes. Well done but ugly. As for the soundtrack, I don't remember a second of it. That's how much it had an impact on me. So if the plot is predictable, the acting is ok, I'm indifferent to the characters, the soundtrack is forgettable and I dislike the arts and design, then what is left for me to like? The only thing I liked about the it are the special effects. I watched it in 3D on a huge IMAX screen and that was impressive. So I take Avatar as what it is, an enjoyable ride.
    Avatar and Na'vi are ugly? Wow -haha... hard to believe because I thought they were exotic and beautiful. The arts and design and his creativity are absolutely stunning. IMO, their appearance are not describable haha... maybe after watching the movie, I've discovered a new civilization. Though to certain extent, I didn't find them attractive at first. They grew on me as I became more attached to the film. The soundtracks might be forgettable (except for the theme song ), however, when you're watching that movie along with the sound blasting it's just wow. Overall, I don't get how someone cannot get emotionally touched haha.
    Last edited by Sunlight_zero36; 01-10-10 at 07:56 PM.
    -

Overall, I don't get how someone cannot get emotionally touched haha.
    Well, everyone has got different measurements and expectations and there's nothing in this world that can please everyone.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Well, everyone has got different measurements and expectations and there's nothing in this world that can please everyone.
    I know that fact .
    -

I found the Na'Vi very sexy.

My fav though has to be those rhino like animals. I was going hell yeah when they did the stampede thing.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    +1

My fav though has to be those rhino like animals. I was going hell yeah when they did the stampede thing.
    I liked how Neytru shot that evil bastard with her arrows in the end. The whole cinemas began applauding that scene, ahahaha.
    Last edited by Sourplum; 01-11-10 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    I liked how Neytru shot that evil bastard with her arrows in the end. The whole cinemas began applauding that scene, ahahaha.
    He's so badass though.

I gotta respect a guy if he'd rather shoot a missile before he worries about having no oxygen. Jumping into his mech before putting on the fire on his body.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    He's so badass though.

I gotta respect a guy if he'd rather shoot a missile before he worries about having no oxygen. Jumping into his mech before putting on the fire on his body.
    That badass commando bastard is like the red ants found in some obscure corner at my home. They'll bite you to ward you off when you stepped into their terrain despite the fact that they'll be dead the next minute under my finger almighty.

Add me to the list.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://172.31.254.242/s.buzzfed.comm/static/imagebuzz/web02/2010/1/3/22/james-camerons-pocohontas-err-avatar-16167-1262575848-25.jpg')
    That's a good one!
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-11-10 at 11:14 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Oh yes indeed, very attractive (call me crazy haha).

I also loved that part!
    Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post

That's a good one!
    Was that sarcasm haha?
    -

No, it's not sarcasm. I posted that 'cos I find it funny. And, what a convenient change.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    He's so badass though.

He might be the typical trigger happy general, but he appealed to me. He'd be the type of boss you are willing to fight for as a soldier - strong ideals, clear directions, efficient, tough and lead by example.

Member of TC fanclub.

He might be the typical trigger happy general, but he appealed to me. He'd be the type of boss you are willing to fight for as a soldier - strong ideals, clear directions, efficient, tough and lead by example.
    Hmm in a way that is very disturbing, especially when you see the points of what his strong ideals are on - specisism (), a general disrespect and snotty attitude to a different culture, lives and nature.

Although I have to say I am impressed he did kept to his side of the deal with Jake (the legs-fixing part).
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 01-12-10 at 04:32 AM.

Yittz, yes, that's all good but I'm not sure if I'd like to work for a psycho. Hmm.... likely not.

Here's something for everyone to chew on. The racism factor in Avatar:-

Some see racist theme in alien adventure 'Avatar'

Mon Jan 11, 2010, 9:40 am EST

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....ture-avatar-ap
    Source: Yahoo news. The Associated Press
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-12-10 at 05:07 AM.

I don't think the general is a psycho. He merely has very different values.

I mean as a simple minded soldier, haha, not me. I am all hippy and hash smoking.

Member of TC fanclub.

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I don't think the general is a psycho. He merely has very different values.
    Is it? He has very extreme and manipulative personality. No doubt he fulfilled his promise in the leg-fixing part verbally. He also tried to finish the guy because Jake's loyalty had him picked "the opposing side". Who is he to decide to end the guy's life despite a betrayal, per se? Clearly, he was all out to kill (as long as you're in his way).

The Na'Vis were aggressively nature-loving, nature-respectful people, yet in his words, the tribe was defamed as a terrifying bunch of nightmare (which, to an extend, sounded like a "war-engaging" bunch too, IMO). Even if he isn't psycho, he still projects a sicko (pushy) persona, no less. Does he not cast a shadow of a puppet master?

Conclusion, as admirable as a commando he can be, I'm not keen to be his puppet.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-12-10 at 06:45 AM.