Thread: Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen

Default Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen

ok i hope it's not double thread

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/6306/chenzhen2.jpg')

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Donnie yen
    Shu Qi
    Anthony Wong
    Huang Bo

The film is a continuation of the 1995 television series Fist of Fury, with Donnie yen reprising his role as Chen Zen. Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen will be set in Japanese-occupied Shanghai, seven years after the apparent death of Chen Zen, who was shot after avenging his teacher (Huo yanjia) in Fist of fury

credit:wikipedia

Trailer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3wL...eature=related
    Last edited by 12blbl; 09-20-10 at 08:56 AM.

This is a very good show. This Chen Zhen is not so blood thirsty as other versions in that he doesn't kill every Japanese or even many. The end fight in the dojo is magnificent compared to other versions.
    Seems his spell as Ip Man had rubbed off on Donnie as he'd incorporated Wing Chun centre line fast punches into his fighting.

click to show/hide spoilers
    Shu Qi is a Japanese spy and she dies in the end.

yes it's very good movie, and the storyline was more complex than Ip Man,
    i like the first scene where chen zen fought with soldiers in the war, i wish the end fight was little bit longer though, shu qi is very pretty in here

next, Shaolin temple (2010) trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsdtD...eature=related
    seems interesting ^^
    Last edited by 12blbl; 10-01-10 at 11:22 AM.

i'm really looking forward to this movie! at kungfucinema, there are some not so good reviews. i'm glad you guys enjoyed it.
    ---------
    Shellie

lets see....... A+ director, A+ cast, my fav action actor Donnie yen in here, = excellent movie for sure.................. not quite....

seriously, the actors are great. anthony wong does his thing as usual, shu qi is solid, shawn yue appears for 1min, donnie yen is great in the action sequences (there are tons in here), but the plot? trash, straight up trash

seems like the script was written in 3 hours and they just went with it. come on, i doubled checked who directed the film. its andrew lau, the mastermind behind infernal affairs......, i expected at least a mediocre plot. im highly disappointed.

this is the plot:
    chinese must unite, japan is evil. donnie yen single handedly take down every single japanese in shanghai. over. (call it propaganda or call it history, but its repetitive, we've seen the same plot from fearless, ip man, etc etc) ok, its still understandable.

but then u throw in shu qi's character in here, who is compeltely useless to form a semi love relationship, which was not convincing. then u throw in random events from the head cop officer, random events from anthony wong which didnt even matter much, random event from donnie's brothers + family which was jsut rushed in, and the death of the head newspaper guy (who was never introduced in the movie), but they made it a bigger scene than donnie's family dying and shu qi dying? unacceptable.

this seems like one of those cheap film just to get box office money while donnie yen is hot, and also a propaganda film.

the only reason to watch this is the action sequence, i give this a 4/10
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

The martial arts final fight with the Jap guy are a clone of Ip Man. The movie falls way shot of originality.

I just watched it on the weekends and I hated it. Most disappointing movie of 2010 for me.

Great beginning when Donnie runs around avoiding the bullets but the rest of the story baffles me.

Reasons why I hated it:
    (1) Donnie and Shu Qi have no chemistry at all. Didnt feel anything from him when she died at the end.
    (2) Anthony Wong was underused but he did a great job.
    (3) The storytelling is terrible. The story skips from WWI to China pre-Japanese invasion without explaining what went on in between. How did Chen Zhen learn to play a piano? How did he get the money to play the rich playboy and invest in the "Casablanca""? Stuff happens for no real reason. If the Japanese Colonel wanted to duel Chen Zhen to the death, why did he kidnap him and totuire him only to let him go? Maybe bad editing. Too many loopholes. Too many characters but not enough impact.
    (4) End fight was terrible. It was anti-climax and did not show off the skills of either martial artist. It lasted like 4 minutes and was boring. Hated the batman ending.
    (5) Yasuaki Kurata appeared for 1 min to clean his sword and get kicked by Donnie Yen. It was a crappy guest role and a waste fo talents since he still is very fit for his age and can do stunts. At least get him to fight a bit more before dyiing. Great disappointment considering his fight against Jet Li in "The Legend Of the Fist".
    (6) Was Chen Zhen "Batman" or the "Green Hornet"? Dont get why he has to dress up.
    (7) Hate the one-dimensional Japanese characters.'I mean in the Jet Li version, it showed a range of Japanese characters and depth of their motives and feelings towards the war. But in here, they are just all evil for the sake of it.

Things I liked about it:
    (1) Anthony Wong
    (2) Shu Qi singing was good.
    (3) The display of agility by Donnie in the beginning.
    (4) The outdoor set is great. Is it the same one as "Bodyguards And Assassins"?

I rate it a 5/10. i would watch it for fun but dont expect too much.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly