Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Avatar the Movie

Default Avatar the Movie

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.jeffreyethomas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Avatar-poster.jpg')

If you are going to watch this movie please pay a bit more and watch the 3D version as not doing so doesn't do this movie justice at all. The use of 3D in this movie is not gimicky but to create an immersive effect pulling the viewer into the beautiful world of Pandaro and it's inhabitants.
    Cameron has done magic here and created an utterly believable world and the various beings that live on it.
    No point retelling this story here as by now everyone who's internet should have heard of it.
    My point is.... Watch it!!!!

And here's the wiki

I've been looking forward to watching this movie. The trailers look really neat. Plus, James Cameron has a very good track record. Wrote the script and directed the movie, I have high hopes for this movie. Truly hope I won't be disappointed.

And will definitely catch this in 3-D.

im gonna go watch this but not in 3d for me, i only go watch pixars or disney on 3d

it looks very boring to me. i don't think i'd waste my money on it.

I just saw this. To sum it up, I'm very impressed with this movie.

Visuals are stunning, I saw it in 3D, and it is mind blowingly immersive science fiction jungle. Everything glows, you could screen shot half the movie and use it as a background wallpaper. The music was good.

The story is an interesting one. It basically boils down to the capitalist/industrialists trying make a quick but massive profit at the expense of the natives. Not too different from America's history I would imagine. But the characters are interesting.

Another way to look at this movie is the Last Samurai... but with bug eyed blue elves. It still carries well, the characters are interesting. The protagonist is an annoying meathead at the start, the villain is pure badass and the native aliens are hippy tree huggers.

I enjoyed the lore they built into the alien world. Like a mini version of the Star Wars universe or the Wuxia counterpart, enough to encompass 1 movie.

All the mourning and crying is annoying because crying gets you nowhere. But when it comes time to kick ***, it does rile your blood.

Overall, this is a good movie, sets the standard for what a good action movie should be like.

Actually, can anyone tell me whether the difference would be a major one if I watch the non-3D? I know the ticket $ is quite a difference.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

I haven't seen the 2D one to compare. But I can't imagine this movie not in 3D, it's just beautiful. It makes very good use of 3D.

Cmon, you want to see scenery like this alive.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.scifiscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/avatar_day.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2009/7/27/1248707533410/James-Camerons-Avatar-200-001.jpg')

Haha! Thanks, Banh Mi! But it is really challenging to get two tickets in a decent row. Not really a matter of the ticket $.

Well, I'll take your suggestion!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Is it really? Either you have seating allocations and buy the ticket early. Or if not, go to the cinema earlier than everyone else.

We went as a group of 5 today, but luckily we lined up early and grabbed good seats.

I hate watching movies in 3D, but I did it with Avatar and glad I did. Undoubtedly one of the best movies I've seen.

From all the crazy hype going around, this was probably the only movie that has surpassed my expectations on every level.
    Last edited by Happy Kadaw; 12-19-09 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Is it really? Either you have seating allocations and buy the ticket early. Or if not, go to the cinema earlier than everyone else.

We went as a group of 5 today, but luckily we lined up early and grabbed good seats.
    The film just opened so the good seats were like, mostly taken up. I ended up sitting at the front row, which induced simulation sickness in me.

It was a great movie, but I could have enjoyed it better. Sigh.

it looks very boring to me. i don't think i'd waste my money on it.
    You are missing out!
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

GO WATCH IT!!!
    it is an amazing movie. 3-d imax is a must if u want to watch it. I cant imagine how it will be without the 3-d affect. Words cant describe this movie. the first scene of the forest put me in 'wow's
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

It was a great movie and thought-provoking. But the 3D glasses provided to us, for view of the visual effects, is annoying.

I saw the movie in 3D today, though I stopped wearing the glasses, because they hurt my eyes. But even without the 3D glasses, the movie's visuals were beautiful. I liked the movie a lot, even though it was quite predictable.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

The Na'vis culture appear so much like the tribal race of Africans, IMO. I like how they utilize their gifted senses and strong connection with the nature.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 12-20-09 at 04:53 AM.

I thought it was funny how the whole avatar project costs so much money and requres so much investment. But they didn't think to tag each of their avatars with some GPS. Sure, it wouldn't work within the flux, but atleast that would give good ol Corporal Sully some incentive to move away from the flux and be found quick smart.

omg i love this, i have experience everything when watching this movie, smile, a little bit of tears, angry and all other love this i give this 5 star

I thought it was funny how the whole avatar project costs so much money and requres so much investment. But they didn't think to tag each of their avatars with some GPS. Sure, it wouldn't work within the flux, but atleast that would give good ol Corporal Sully some incentive to move away from the flux and be found quick smart.
    Well, the oldest reason in the books will be the answer to your question...

Without that stupidity, there will be no story to tell! XD!
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

You mean GPS for tracking device? One need several satellites constantly orbiting a planet like a moon for a GPS system to be working. They are just a private mining company and not there for terraform and population expedition. I'm sure launching a satellite is not in their main agenda huhu

I just saw this movie in 3-D on an IMAX screen, you can't do better than that. Visually, it was stunning. Story-wise though, it was predictable. It's not the best movie of the year, let alone one of the best movie I've ever seen. It was nonetheless worth my $17.00. Avatar is like a cool roller coaster ride.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?