Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Avatar the Movie

I would disagree that the storyline and characters are cliche.

click to show/hide spoilers
    You could say a character like Tsu-tey is cliche because he is similar to other characters in films before him - you know, the overprotective, proud, arrogant, untrusting guy?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think every character in any film, book, or game could be seen as 'cliche' to a degree.

I'm not sure if anyone was touched by the story but I was.

I found myself crying when the forests were destroyed and when Grace died, cheering with the rest of the cinema when that evil military dude got killed in the end, and all the other emotions the film evokes.

Perhaps my bias for the film is clouding my judgement. I don't know. ^^

And, is cliche always so bad? And how much does that take away from the film?

I'm also surprised no one mentioned the character development.

We saw Jake, a young, naive man fresh into the military. And as the movie progressed, we saw him questioning himself, falling in love, changing motives. Yes, we knew it was going to happen, but I particularly enjoyed the character development. Tsu-tey, who started off arrogant and untrusting gradually becomes a loyal friend to Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourplum View Post
    I would disagree that the storyline and characters are cliche.

You could say a character like Tsu-tey is cliche because he is similar to other characters in films before him - you know, the overprotective, proud, arrogant, untrusting guy?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I think every character in any film, book, or game could be seen as 'cliche' to a degree.

I'm not sure if anyone was touched by the story but I was.

I found myself crying when the forests were destroyed and when Grace died, cheering with the rest of the cinema when that evil military dude got killed in the end, and all the other emotions the film evokes.

Perhaps my bias for the film is clouding my judgement. I don't know. ^^

And, is cliche always so bad? And how much does that take away from the film?

I'm also surprised no one mentioned the character development.

We saw Jake, a young, naive man fresh into the military. And as the movie progressed, we saw him questioning himself, falling in love, changing motives. Yes, we knew it was going to happen, but I particularly enjoyed the character development. Tsu-tey, who started off arrogant and untrusting gradually becomes a loyal friend to Jake.
    I was extremely fond of the storyline and I don't get why people would say this is an average and ordinary plot. So what if there are no grand twists? Now, don't give an excuse saying that this movie is repetitive or a version of a combination of previous ones.

Honestly, if that was the excuse then all the other movies such as Star Trek and Star Wars would be copying each other or any other marvel superheroes have the same goals and deliver the same message. Big DEAL.

On top of that, people who are comparing this to The Dark Knight are obviously off. Batman is AN OFFICIAL character that has been created a long time ago and many movies have been remade, while James Cameron simply made these living creatures that appear to be so real out of his own imagination.

I thought the character development was fine. I mean, I felt emotions rushing through me when the Na'vi and humans were battling against each other. If you don't feel that ... then well, that's perhaps the main reason why you wouldn't enjoy this movie in the first place. In simpler terms, it's not your type.
    Last edited by Sunlight_zero36; 01-03-10 at 12:01 PM.
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

I never said I didn't enjoy the movie or that it was bad. I saw it twice in theatres, and it needs to take a fairly enjoyable movie for me to do so (and the only movie before this I saw twice in the theatres was The Dark Knight, which I love).
    This was a very good movie. Was it one of the best of the year? Not necessarily. The main thing that made this movie great was the visuals, which were products of Cameron's creativity. Part of the reason it was able to evoke the kinds of emotions it did is because of how vividly the visuals worked. The human eye receives perhaps the most salient perceptions, and this is why the movie worked very well. Take away the visuals, the story itself will not be as touching or unique.
    The characters, although unique in appearance, bear the same archetypes as many movies before it. The morals of the movie, while good, are again not originals. If you want to look at recent movies, District 9 touched upon many of the issues Avatar did (plus some more).
    So in the end, I liked this movie quite a bit. I just don't think it's the best of the year (at least not for me), and I think that the hype it's getting is a bit overrated.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

I actually think otherwise. i think it is under rated due to the fact that people look for excuses to make this movie not as good as it is. sure the story line was used many times by other movies but every movie is different in their own way if u look deeper into movie instead of summarizing it. I was actually turned away from the movie when the first critics came out about the simple plot and how the movie was over hype. For me it isnt really the plot that makes this movie so enjoyable but everything. i see that this movie brought some ground breaking technology that i have never experience in a movie before.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

Nice show ~ but I have to say the 3D isnt really much, and I supposed you wont missed much even if you go for da usual 2D. But I'd got to thank Guo Xiang and remember_Cedric for giving me the go-ahead and accompany me to watch the 3D version.

(Kiss ya both darlings!)

Likewise, why can't people accept that the plot and the characters were team-carried by the jaw dropping visuals? Why can't people accept that the storyline and its characters alone aren't going to win the film any awards.

How can you not say the characters are cliche? Almost everyone of them is familiar and used several times before. I don't mind cliche for this particular film and I enjoyed the interaction between them.

The plotline? Who could not predict the flow of the film from the moment he was welcomed in to their world? We don't even need the spoiler tag. Nonetheless I enjoyed the journey even though I could predict each step 10 steps back. Why? Because the visuals made each step unique. The visuals changed a childhood fairy tale into a emotional experience for all ages.

And btw on Dark Knight: It was so great for the very reason that so many remades have been done before it. The plotline had twists and turns, and that Joker, coupled with Heath Ledger's performance is epic. Sure the antagonist in Avatar is a tough badass, but DK's Joker would still mind rape him.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Excellent film!

I could forgive the slightly predictable storyline and script simply because the visuals were so good. Some of the scenes (e.g. the floating mountins) were ridiculously awesome.

Was it just me or did any of your eyes feel slightly wierd at the beginning cause I felt like my eyes were adapting to the 3D at the start if you know what I mean.

if only they can do some adult hood stuff come true with this technology as well.
    i know some of guys know what I mean and want the same thing.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, it will only be enjoyable if you can watch it in the comfort of privacy.
    I am a pessimist, but I think people like me!

I have watched it the second time, except this time in 3D. Even knowing the story ahead, I was still drawn into Pandora and Jake Sully and Neytiri's journeys. I came out of the theater not as numb as the first time, but close enough. The 3D somewhat felt similar to the 2D. Perhaps, it was because during the first time I saw it, I had no expectation of how grand it could be. I would seriously consider watching this the third time in theaters, but haha I'd be a loser to waste more money.

Hopefully, there will be a 3D version for us to buy!

This has been the most addicting film for me, since a long time. Actually, I don't reckon watching another movie that made me feel so much.
    -

Avatar has so far made $1.1BILLION at the box office. Will it surpass Titanic's $1.8 BILLION in revenue? :O

Avatar has so far made $1.1BILLION at the box office. Will it surpass Titanic's $1.8 BILLION in revenue? :O
    I really hope so! It's so much better than Titanic (not that Titanic was bad).

By the way, how long are movies usually in theaters for?
    Last edited by Sunlight_zero36; 01-09-10 at 10:58 AM.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight_zero36 View Post

By the way, how long are movies usually in the theaters for?
    About two weeks?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Question: when do you need to wear 3D glasses? Is it for the 3D version, IMAX 3D version, or both?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

By the way, how long are movies usually in the theaters for?
    I still like Titanic better.

It depends on how popular/profitable the film is, but usually it's at least a month. Avatar will no doubt be in theaters for months and months.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Question: when do you need to wear 3D glasses? Is it for the 3D version, IMAX 3D version, or both?
    Both

Fantastic moofie!

thoroughly enjoyed it! Didn't feel like 3 hours at all

Anyways peace out.

------

West side, when we ride, we come quipped wit game
    내가 황제라면, 모든 단어에 의미를 부여하기 위해 사전을 만드는 일 부터 시작할 것이다.

AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.

Ok, going slightly off topic, forgive me...

but speaking of Titanic, ever since I heard the themesong, "My Heart Will Go On" I can't get it out of my head! lol

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Yeah, for both because if you don't.. you're going to be seeing many images haha.

Quote Originally Posted by cristal entity View Post
    Fantastic moofie!

thoroughly enjoyed it! Didn't feel like 3 hours at all

Anyways peace out.

------

West side, when we ride, we come quipped wit game
    Was it too short or too long? I thought it was so short haha... it felt like about half an hour for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    I still like Titanic better.
    Well, for me I love Avatar and I like Titanic. I mean Titanic mainly has love as its most powerful theme, whereas Avatar has many aspects.

Ok, going slightly off topic, forgive me...

but speaking of Titanic, ever since I heard the themesong, "My Heart Will Go On" I can't get it out of my head! lol
    Actually, "I See You" is somewhat similar to "My Heart Will Go On" if you listen to it closely (some parts sound similar).
    Last edited by Sunlight_zero36; 01-09-10 at 11:03 AM.
    -

Was it too short or too long? I thought it was so short haha... it felt like about half an hour for me.

Haha, yeah it was a bit short for me XD
    내가 황제라면, 모든 단어에 의미를 부여하기 위해 사전을 만드는 일 부터 시작할 것이다.

AkA: strife_au in the old mythic golden era of SPCNET pre-2007... Pioneer and architect of chaos... The legend lives.

Was going to see it last night, but got off work late and weather got bad. Now I think all my friends have seen it.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」