Thread: Memories of driver's training

Default Memories of driver's training

Hard to believe, but it's been twenty years since I became licensed to drive.

I still have some fairly vivid memories of driver's training back in high school. The training itself was fun (after all, I was sixteen and just getting behind the wheel for the first time in my life), but there was one scary moment. When I was receiving driver's training, three students would share a car with the instructor. Each of the students would get fifteen minute turns driving the car. On one occasion, one of the other two kids in the car with me was simply a nervous wreck...or maybe he just had REALLY bad coordination.

Luckily, we didn't crash, but for fifteen minutes, I seriously wondered if I was going to survive (and judging from the look on his face, so did the driving teacher).

In my neck of the woods, only the driving instructor and one learner are allowed in the car. No passengers or other learners.

I didn't encounter any incidents during the learning/training phase, but I remember nearly having an accident when I was taking the practical driving test. The guy in the car in front of me (another learner) jammed his brakes suddenly, and I jammed mine too. That killed my engine, but thankfully, the tester (a uniformed guy in dark shades and no smile) did not fault me for that.

Years later, I'm extra nice to learners who are practicing their skills on real roads.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

My first lesson, I was taken to a real street in real traffic. The guy just took me to switch seats to the driver seat and go… He kept yelling at me for mistakes LOL. Then I found out he wasn’t even the main teacher that I THOUGHT I was signed up for. That muthereffer said nothing when I first met him and called him by the name of the main teacher, so I thought he was him. After I found out, I switched. The main guy was much better. I passed the road test on my first try.
    What are you fighting for? Just mix them into pissing beef balls, stupid.
    SOD Pt. 7 updated Jan. 6, '08

Jiang Bao's Karaoke Corner

I remember getting yelled at by my driver's ed teacher for braking for some pigeons that were in the middle of the street. She said that's what the car horn is for.

1st test drive, about to get out when another banged his car into mine. the tester passed me but failed the other driver.

2nd test drive on round about, and every car in front stopped so I did too but the car behind braked too late, and the lady driver caused road accident and traffic jam. She didn't have a valid driver license.

3rd test on the road, and stoped at traffic light. Opposite way, two cars coming and one speeding. Third one trying to avoid being hit, and guess what, the second hit the first and the first banged into me.

Until today, I never drive despite having a valid driving license.
    May my Earendil be Light in your Darkness when others Died out.

Quote Originally Posted by jiang bao View Post
    My first lesson, I was taken to a real street in real traffic. The guy just took me to switch seats to the driver seat and go… He kept yelling at me for mistakes LOL. Then I found out he wasn’t even the main teacher that I THOUGHT I was signed up for. That muthereffer said nothing when I first met him and called him by the name of the main teacher, so I thought he was him. After I found out, I switched. The main guy was much better. I passed the road test on my first try.
    During one of the practice rounds, the teacher (an old man) kept telling me to dash/rush past junctions and amber lights: "Go, go, go, don't let him (i.e. the driver coming out the junction, parking lot or whatever) get onto the road!" Really weird, so I basically ignored him at places where I could be nice, courteous and safe to myself and other road-users.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    I remember getting yelled at by my driver's ed teacher for braking for some pigeons that were in the middle of the street. She said that's what the car horn is for.
    No need to honk at pigeons. Just drive into them and they'll disperse even before you get really near.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 12-23-09 at 07:01 AM.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

It seems most driving instructors are jerks and good patient teachers are in the minority. This original guy made someone else I know who took him cry (a girl). The guy was just nasty and impatient. He made me feel like I would never pass it. Instead of explaining what I did wrong, he would just yell at me for screwing up and ask rhetorically if what I did was correct. Why don’t ya explain what I SHOULD have done instead. It’s not like I know what is the correct action and purposely F’ed it up.

It didn’t help that he could speak English or Cantonese properly either… Hard to understand. Unreal but true. It’s really amazing that I managed to pass my first road test thinking back. I wasted half of my lessons with that bad teacher before I realized that he wasn’t the teacher that people recommended. I was wondering why someone would recommend that dude to me all that time LOL.

My instructor was a great guy, his only problem is he's not punctual. Other than that, he'll tell jokes at his own expense and everything to get you to relax so you can drive comfortably.
    He almost never loses his patients and keeps a calm even voice.

Hell, when I went for the test, the person grading me was his friend. And they were telling jokes between each other, just so I would relax.

Tester: He was standing in line one day when an old Asian lady tapped him on the shoulder and asked a question. I told her that ugly man doesn't work here, I'll help you out.

Instructor: And I go "That's not what you said last night in bed."
    The old lady, she just gave me a look of sympathy and patted me on the back.

Tester: She probably thought it was true.

I never took driver's ed in high school. I waited till I was past 18 and took the permit test then get train by those driving instructors. I had two paid instructors. The first guy was sort of a jerk so I stopped going with him after the first lesson. The second guy was much older and so much more patient. I ended up getting trained by the second instructor and I was grateful to have him. I'm a timid person so I needed a calm and positive person to teach me and the second guy was just that. I was a mess when he took me out on the freeway for the first time but he didn't show any sign of anger or anything so I made it through.
    Less Than Perfect

I had no training. Just observed my mom and picked it up naturally. Town had little traffic; great place to practice driving. I miss South Dakota.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I have just completed driving school for the 3rd time...HAHAHA...as far as memories go..hmmm my first driving teacher insisted on holding my right hand (on the wheel or on the stick) throughout the entire drive. I don't know if he was flirting with me or in fear for his life.

My second driving teacher...he served me a couple of backhanded compliments about my appearance and intelligence :\

My last driving teacher was a woman complimented me on my youth and beauty and intelligence LOL!

Now that I think about it...I am surprised that I wasn't so adversely affected by the two earlier experiences!
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I have just completed driving school for the 3rd time...HAHAHA...as far as memories go..hmmm my first driving teacher insisted on holding my right hand (on the wheel or on the stick) throughout the entire drive. I don't know if he was flirting with me or in fear for his life.
    Hahaha I cracked up imagining the teacher with a Freudian slip saying to you "you there! put your hand on my stick! I mean THE stick!"

---

I only got close to an accident once. At a curved road, I didn't turn the wheel enough and went into the opposite lane... luckily everyone was going slow so the oncoming car was able to brake and the driver gave me a WTF dumbass look. I totally deserved it.

My first few lessons were a nightmare. The instructor couldn't speak English OR Cantonese without a very heavy accent. This basically admitted by non-refusal that he was the boss of the driving school that I had heard good things about (First time met him, I called him Mr. ___, assuming he was the boss, and he didn't correct me) I kept wondering how the hell this guy got such good reviews. I finally found out through the secretary that he wasn't Mr. ___. From then on, I specifically requested Mr. ___. From then on, it was smooth sailing.

Passed my road test on the first attempt.