Thread: Ancient korean/Japanese drama recommendations?

Default Ancient korean/Japanese drama recommendations?

Hi, I like to watch ancient korea/japanese drama. This refers to drama set in the ancient days, where the costumes the people wear are in the ancient form.Example of such drama: Ju mong, Queen Seon etc.Do recommend me dramas of such nature. Preferably those with some historical facts in them, but open to all ancient forms of dramas.

Damo is a really good sageuk drama! It's the best kdrama I've watched so far. The plot is fast paced at just 14 episodes. I also loved Hwang Jin Yi about gisaengs who are similar to japanese geishas. Both dramas star Ha ji Won who is amazing!! If you haven't watched either dramas you definitely need to.

Quote Originally Posted by s.gal83 View Post
    Preferably those with some historical facts in them, but open to all ancient forms of dramas.
    There are no dramas with "historical facts", it's like 1% fact and 99% fiction.
    For example, Daejanggeum was created with single line of record. All we know is that Daejanggeum existed and worked as a royal doctor, that's it. Yet you have a 50-episode epic drama about the life of Daejanggeum on TV.

Even Japanese historical drama like Tenjijin has accuracy problems, because these shows are boring if they are 90% accurate to historical records.

In terms of historical accuracy, I would say Chinese stuff is probably the most accurate, except they are not as fun to watch as "fantasy" dramas from Japan and Korea.

Beside Jumong, other ancient korean dramas I like are:

- Kingdom of the Winds (story about Jumong's grandson, also played by same actor that played Jumong, Song Il Gook)
    - Iljimae (Played by Lee Joon Ki, the pretty guy in movie the King and the Clown!)
    - The Mighty Chil Woo (Eric Moon Jeong Hyuk)
    - The King and I (Oh Man Seok, Jun Hye Bin)

Two ancient Korean dramas I would recommend are:

- Painter of the Wind
    - Jejoongwon (it's about the first modern hospital built during the Joseon period)

And one ancient Japanese drama I'd recommend is: JIN. However, it's about a surgeon going back to the past and altered (by speeding up the process) the advancement of medicine--so you can throw the historical accuracy out the window. But it's really good so you won't regret it.

Are there any korean drama series relating to Baekje? The kingdom established by Jumong and Susu's sons. Thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    Beside Jumong, other ancient korean dramas I like are:

- Kingdom of the Winds (story about Jumong's grandson, also played by same actor that played Jumong, Song Il Gook)
    - Iljimae (Played by Lee Joon Ki, the pretty guy in movie the King and the Clown!)
    - The Mighty Chil Woo (Eric Moon Jeong Hyuk)
    - The King and I (Oh Man Seok, Jun Hye Bin)
    Interestingly, I have watched all these too.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Are there any korean drama series relating to Baekje? The kingdom established by Jumong and Susu's sons. Thanks much.
    a few shows focus on three kingdoms (Goguryeo, Baekje and Silla) period came to my mind

Seodongyo (or ballad of seo dong) .. abt 30th Paekche emperor and Princess Seonhwa. Princess Seonhwa was the sister of Queen seon deok in actual history. This character was not mentioned in Queen seon deok at all. This is same director as Queen seon deok/ Dae Jang Geum. Great show.

Tae Wang Sa Shin Gi (or Legend)... about King Gwanggaeto the Great, the 19th king of Goguryeo. Great show, great custom (on par with jumong if not better). Best of all, it's only 24 episodes.

Emperor of the Sea (or sea god).. about Jang Bogo who was born a slave but rose to the highest ranks of Silla dynasty. It received a lot of good comments but i find it a little draggy. Song Il Gook did so well in this show and he was offered as first lead in Jumong after this show.

Shin Don .. Shin Don was a Buddhist priest who both Queen Nokuk and King Gong Min depended on for advice in ruling Koryo. King Gong Min was the 2nd last in Goryeo dynasty.

Dae Joyeong - about a Goguryeo general and founder of the kingdom of Balhae. It was shown on KBS World before.

Ja Myung Go (or princess ja myung go).... story about Princess Ja Myung and Prince Hodong. Prince Hodong is a generation after Jumong's grandson (kingdom of the winds). This show has low rating and was shortened to 39 episodes.

The Iron Empress / Empress Chun Choo... about the third empress of the Goryeo era.

Thanks, moon1.

Seodongyo (or ballad of seo dong) .. abt 30th Paekche emperor and Princess Seonhwa. Princess Seonhwa was the sister of Queen seon deok in actual history. This character was not mentioned in Queen seon deok at all. This is same director as Queen seon deok/ Dae Jang Geum. Great show. Looks interesting.

Tae Wang Sa Shin Gi (or Legend)... about King Gwanggaeto the Great, the 19th king of Goguryeo. Great show, great custom (on par with jumong if not better). Best of all, it's only 24 episodes. Watched

Emperor of the Sea (or sea god).. about Jang Bogo who was born a slave but rose to the highest ranks of Silla dynasty. It received a lot of good comments but i find it a little draggy. Song Il Gook did so well in this show and he was offered as first lead in Jumong after this show. Watched

Shin Don .. Shin Don was a Buddhist priest who both Queen Nokuk and King Gong Min depended on for advice in ruling Koryo. King Gong Min was the 2nd last in Goryeo dynasty. Have not heard of this series.

Dae Joyeong - about a Goguryeo general and founder of the kingdom of Balhae. It was shown on KBS World before. Have not heard of this series. Sounds interesting

Ja Myung Go (or princess ja myung go).... story about Princess Ja Myung and Prince Hodong. Prince Hodong is a generation after Jumong's grandson (kingdom of the winds). This show has low rating and was shortened to 39 episodes. By right, it should be an interesting series because it is about Price Hodong. But heard that the actor not popular that may have accounted for the low rating.

The Iron Empress / Empress Chun Choo... about the third empress of the Goryeo era. Sounds interesting

There is a new three kingdom sageuk on Kim Soo Ro, the founder of Gaya. It's slated to be 32 episodes in total and right now is at episode 4 so still a long way to go...

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kim_Soo_Ro_(MBC)

Definitely try Jumong which is also called The Three Books of Han and Queen Seon Duk. You must not miss these historical dramas!
    - currently watching: Fashion King, Rooftop Prince, Love Rain, and Equator Man-
    - recent favorite drama: The Princess's Man
    -

jumong
    dong-yi
    painter of the wind
    -Hkopinions

"Happy posting."

I had watched queen seon duk, which is very good. I really love this series very much.
    I also watched Jumong. Watched until the 101 ep.
    I also had the legendary doctor hor jun. Another very good drama.

I still had king and i, dong yi, and many other ancient korean dramas waiting to be watched.

I had painter of wind, which is really nice, artistically.

Dong Yi is very good.

I've only seen Dae Jang Guem (Jewel in the Palace) and it's one of my favorite Korean dramas certain annoying characters/actors and how certain parts dragged too much.
    Less Than Perfect

Watching "The Duo" now.

Damo is definitely a drama to remember. I don't like Ha Ji Won's voice but she's a good actress and I think Lee is just great. Jewel in the place is good if you want to sit through dozens of episodes. I thought the legend with Bae Yun Jun was so ho hum, can't understand why it cost so much. Latest, I've watched Legend of King, which is so so most of the time. I think it would have been better if they stick to historical facts or make it thoroughly a romance, but mixing it.... nah...