Thread: Singapore Idol winner Sezairi Sezali: "It's a dream come true"

Post Singapore Idol winner Sezairi Sezali: "It's a dream come true"

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://d.yimg.com/hb/xp/xin/20091231/06/1700943660-singapore-idol-winner-sezairi-sezali-it-s-a-dream-come.jpg')

12-30-09 11:41 PM

Sezairi Sezali can be quite the cynic. Since speaking to the 22-year-old from the start of his Singapore Idol path, the man has always kept his fingers crossed and "expected the worst" to happen. Now that he's won the title last night at the Grand Finale at the Indoor Stadium against competitor Sylvia Ratonel, perhaps it's time he's gonna turn a little more optimistic in his outlook?

The answer from the newest Singapore Idol is a resounding yes. "The Idol journey for me has been in stages. At the start, you feel that people hate you, and I start to doubt myself. Then I get [mentally] stronger and think, 'Yes, I can do this.' And then you're at this stage where I think that it doesn't matter if I win or lose. I'm [living] in the now. I'd like to do this for myself. So it's like an evolution; it helps you grow as a person."

Growth indeed. He's come a long way since the judges' initial remarks surrounding his dull identity (Ken Lim) that was threatened to be overshadowed by his taste in colourful spectacles (Dick Lee), and seemingly unable to do anything upbeat or wild that would compromise on his now trademark slick, soulful and sincerity-soaked crooning (Florence Lian).

He took the negative feedback "as constructive criticism" but at the same time realized that "it's not about impressing people. You gotta be happy with what you're doing. I learnt that I gotta do it for myself."

Now, the first thing he wants for himself is to "get a good rest," though it's obvious he's calmly containing his excitement at his win. "It's so surreal. I probably won't even believe this has happened to me the next morning."

Taking the title was no walk in the park, especially in the midst of the buzz that the crown ought to be on Sylvia's head, since their names were called to Top 2 nearly a month ago. The 21-year-old already made the Idol history books by being the first female finalist, and now its runner-up.

His female rival put up a mighty fine, diva-worthy show at the finale - all confidence, sass and attitude that just amped up her technically-proficient yet powerfully-evocative vocals. His performances in comparison were less show-stopping but nonetheless smooth, earnest and intimate.

Both also sang the Idol song 'Touched By An Angel' which was written by judge Ken Lim. "Looking back to the beginning, I was so raw. That song is a great emotional connection, it reflects how long and hard the journey has been for both Sylvia and I."

While his win has denied the ladies a place amongst the champs for the third time running (the past two seasons saw male winners), he "never thought about [the finale] as competition. I never went in thinking I gotta beat Sylvia. What I wanted was to make people think that I deserve to win."

He knows full well the inevitable comparisons with the two champs from past seasons Taufik Batisah and Hady Mirza, given the similar gender (male) and racial (Malay) profile of all three of them, but refuses to succumb to any of that as disillusion and resignation. "I have no issues [if people compare us]," he says frankly. "If people open their eyes and ears, we're three different people with three different musical styles. Don't just look at it as the 'brown guy'. Why not focus the attention to what this brown guy is singing?"

According to him, Taufik is "smooth R&B," Hady is "edgy rock-pop," and as for himself, "I'm jazzy, funky and groovy."

Speaking like someone seasoned to being in the spotlight, he's adamant that "It's never about the glory of the media attention or titles but this intangible thing I have with music. It's about what I love to do."

Indeed, his musicality is one of his biggest talking (and selling) points, what with his unique song arrangements, impressive guitar-playing and caramel voice, winning him accolades with the judges and earning him the label 'The Original Artist'. That, along with his laidback cool and candid honesty. He had "heard that my mother was so overwhelmed when I won, she nearly fainted. I was pretty worried because of her health (she has a heart condition). So I called my father and he said she's okay and 'What time are you coming home?' (Laughs) My dad is a man of few words but we understand each other on that level."

Winning Singapore Idol, he says, "doesn't really gauge how well you do [in the market], but how well you look on stage and whether the audience can relate to you. But I definitely do not want to disappoint. I'm looking forward to writing lots of good stuff for my album." He then turns cheeky at the thought of owning, or at least being sponsored his dream guitar, the cherry-red Gibson ES-355 (only one of the first commercial electric guitars made in the world; see pic) which is now on loan to him. "I won Singapore Idol. I play guitar. Hopefully companies see the connection (laughs)!"

Source link: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/xin/2009123...e-3c1b9bc.html

Undeserving winner. I guess the teen girls won the show.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."