Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Lu Xiaofeng Book 5: Mansion of Spirits

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs for the update. Best of luck in your new job.

Thanks foxs

Foxs, no need to be sorry, we are always thankful!
    All the best in your new endeavor.....

Default Chapter 10 - Part 4

Trying to catch up ...

DongBin, ycb, Jaya, HPC, Anh, you are welcome. Ysabel, Clown, thanks for the well-wishes. Thank you all for being faithful readers, at least I know you guys are looking forward to reading this.

The tears streamed down her pale cheeks, he really wanted to suck the tear dry with his lips.

Just then, a cold breeze was blowing from the swamp, carrying with it the sound of singing. A sad song; sad enough to evoke all the suffering and hatred in people’s heart.

Ye Xue held her breath, “Is it him?”

Lu Xiaofeng sighed inwardly, “Looks like it,” he said.

Ye Xue bit her lip again, “Maybe he knew that we are here,” she said, “Maybe he is calling us.”

Lu Xiaofeng stood up quietly; he pulled Ye Xue’s hand along, just like pulling someone who was nearly drowning from the water.

Only this time he felt that the one was nearly drowning was not Ye Xue, but he himself.

Other than mud, what else is there in a swamp? Rotting leaves, poisonous weeds, crumbling rocks, countless insects and snakes, which names he did not even know, blood sucking mosquitoes and leeches.

In this nothing-is-too-bizarre swamp, you may even be able to find hundreds of kinds of bizarre things, and I can guarantee that not a single one is not foul.

But in the dark, this foul swamp has suddenly become some kind of indescribable beauty; other than the stench that even the dark was unable to conceal, it exuded beauty that it almost felt like a mystical and tranquil lake.

The sad song had stopped, Lu Xiaofeng did not continue moving forward either, he had no choice but to stop his steps; because just now one of his feet had already stepped onto the mud, He had narrowly escaped being sucked into the swamp.

Just like sin, the swamp seemed to have a demonic, depraved attraction; as soon as you step into it, you will sink to the bottom.

Ye Xue’s face became even paler, “Are you saying that all these years he had been hiding in here?”

Lu Xiaofeng nodded.

“How could he survive in this place?” Ye Xue asked.

“Because he did not want to die,” Lu Xiaofeng replied. There was sadness in his voice, “When one really want to survive, any pain and suffering, no matter how big, will be endurable.”

It was a very simple, yet very complex and profound truth. Only people who have endure bitter pain and suffer can understand it.

There was a sigh in the dark, “You are right, but you have done wrong; you shouldn’t have brought anybody else here.”

The rasping and bitter voice did not sound unfamiliar. Ye Xue’s hands felt ice-cold.

Lu Xiaofeng held her hand tight; he said, “This is not somebody else, this is your daughter.”

Seeing no one and hearing no response, he faced the dark swamp and continued in a loud voice, “Even if you won’t let her see you, at least you ought to see her, she has already grown up.”

The voice suddenly cut him off, “Isn’t she still like before, loves to hide alone in dark room, so that others cannot find her?”

It was her secret; she was born with a pair of eyes that can see in the dark. She loved to hide in the dark, because she knew that others could not see her, yet she could see others.

Those who knew this secret were indeed not many; suddenly her body tensed.

Lu Xiaofeng asked, “Have you heard clearly who he is?”

Ye Xue nodded. Suddenly she shouted, “If you won’t let me see you, I’ll die in here.”

Another bout of silence.

At last a shadow emerged from the dark; unexpectedly it was a strange looking houseboat. Not only it could float on the swamp, it could also move around.

“You really have to see me?”

“I must,” Ye Xue’s answer was firm.

“Lu Xiaofeng, you shouldn’t have brought her here, you really shouldn’t.”

The shadow sighed. No one could understand his daughter’s pride and obstinate character better than he.

“I may let you see me one time, but you will regret it, because I am not what I used to be …”

Ye Xue loudly said, “I don’t care what you have become, you are still my Dad; in my heart, you won’t change forever, you will always be the most handsome man in the world, the man who always treat me the best.”

The floating houseboat was getting closer. When it was only two zhang away, Ye Xue leaped over.

Lu Xiaofeng did not stop her, he could tell that there must be a deep emotional ties between them in the past. He suddenly thought about his own parents, he thought about his loneliness being without any family in the world.

A scream interrupted his train of thought.

The scream came from the houseboat, it was Ye Xue’s voice. While the houseboat floated away, gradually disappearing in the dark.

Lu Xiaofeng’s voice cracked, “You must not take her away!”

The shadow laughed, “Since she is my daughter, why can’t I take her away?” The laughter was full of mocking and malice intention.

Lu Xiaofeng’s entire body turned cold; he suddenly discovered something terrible has happened, “You are not her father!”

The shadow talked in slow, drawn voice, almost like chanting, “Wei River in the east, Jade Forest facing the wind …”

“I know who you are,” Lu Xiaofeng said, “You are Jade Forest Swordsman, Ye Lingfeng, but you are not her father.”

The shadow laughed heartily, “It doesn’t matter whatever I am to her, I am taking her away. Go back and tell Old Sabre Honcho, if he wants her back, tell him to come to me personally.”

The laughter gradually diminished, the houseboat also disappeared in the dark. Once again the mysterious swamp regained its darkness and tranquility.

Like a wooden statue Lu Xiaofeng stood in the dark. After a long, long time, he heaved a deep sigh and said, “I don’t need to go back and tell you, because everything he said, you ought to be able to hear each word very clearly.”

He was not talking to himself, because it was only after the houseboat has gone far away did he find out that Old Sabre Honcho was already behind him.

He did not need to turn back to know that.

Old Sabre Honcho has indeed arrived; he also heaved a deep sigh and said, “Every word he said, I indeed heard everything, but I always kept quite a bit of distance from you, I did not want to interfere with your action.”

“I know you are a man of his word,” Lu Xiaofeng said.

“What else do you know?” Old Sabre Honcho asked.

Lu Xiaofeng suddenly turned around; he stared at him and said, “Ah Xue is not Ye Lingfeng’s daughter; she is yours.”

Old Sabre Honcho did not deny, but he did not confirm either.

Lu Xiaofeng continued, “It was because Ye Lingfeng also knew this that you killed him.”

Old Sabre Honcho laughed. But his laugh was difficult to understand. “I never thought that he didn’t die.”

Lu Xiaofeng said, “Although he is alive, it is more painful than death; all along he has to clench his teeth to endure.”

“Because he wants revenge,” Old Sabre Honcho said.

“But he does not dare to come to you,” Lu Xiaofeng said, “This is the only way you would look for him. He is more familiar to this area than you are, plus he has Ah Xue as a hostage, his chance is far better than yours.”

Old Sabre Honcho coldly said, “I thought that you’d never fallen into his trap, unexpectedly in the end he could still exploit you.”

“Fortunately my time limit has not expired,” Lu Xiaofeng said.

“Do you have confidence that you would be able to get her back before the time is up?” Old Sabre Honcho asked.

“I don’t,” Lu Xiaofeng replied, “But I must go.”

“How are you going to do that?” Old Sabre Honcho asked, “Are you going to dig into the mud like a loach?”

“I can make a raft,” Lu Xiaofeng said.

Old Sabre Honcho hesitated. “Can your raft take two people?” he asked.

“Only two people working together can make a raft that can take two people,” Lu Xiaofeng replied.

Old Sabre Honcho laughed, “Looks like this man never wants to suffer any loss.”

There was a forest by the swamp, with the two of them working together, in short period of time they were able to cut down seventeen, eighteen tree trunks – not with saber, just by hands.

Old Sabre Honcho said, “You go get rid of the branches and leaves, I’ll go to find rope.”

Lu Xiaofeng laughed wryly and said, “Doing business with someone like you, even if I don’t want to suffer loss, I can’t.”

Although he was fully aware that his job was comparatively harder, he knew that he had no choice; because he simply did not know where to go to find rope.

Actually, Old Sabre Honcho was not trying to find ropes either. Lu Xiaofeng had just stooped down, the edge of Old Sabre Honcho’s palm struck the back of his neck, and he fell down just like a tree.

The sky was overcast and dark, it was still foggy too.

When Lu Xiaofeng woke up, he found out that he was lying on Liu Qingqing’s bed.

Thanks foxs for a quick update

Thanks!!!!

Thanks foxs

This is intriguing ... thks foxs.

Quick update! Thanks Foxs!

Thanx for the update, foxs...

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs

Default Chapter 10 - Part 5

Ysabel, ycb, HPC, DongBin, Clown, szfong, Jaya and Anh, you are most welcome. Thanks for the support. This is a rather lengthy chapter.

There was nobody else in the room. On the small bedside table, he saw a pot of wine, with a small wine cup next to it. Underneath the cup there was a note saying, “My hand slipped and accidentally hurt your respected neck. For the time being, here’s some wine to alleviate your shock. When you wake up, there is no harm in enjoying a bit of drink, around noon tomorrow we’ll meet again.”

It was not until he finished reading the note that Lu Xiaofeng found the pain on his neck, that it was very difficult for him to even turning his head.

Naturally he knew that Old Sabre Honcho’s hand did not slip and accidentally injuring him. But why did Old Sabre Honcho plot against him? Why did he prevent him from rescuing Ye Xue? What kind of skeleton did he hide in his closet?

Lu Xiaofeng did not understand, therefore, he might as well not think about it. Picking up the wine pot, he poured the wine directly into his mouth.

When half a bottle had entered his belly, suddenly there was a dog barking outside. At first it was only one dog, but very soon it became seven, eight dogs: big dogs, small dogs, male dogs, female dogs, everything. The barking was extremely noisy.

How could there be that many dogs in this secluded and secret valley?

Lu Xiaofeng could not resist going out to look. As soon as he pushed the door open, he could not help but was stunned.

There was not a single dog outside, there was only one person. A thin and withered man in black clothes, his face sickly yellow like wax, but his eyes were brilliantly bright.

Lu Xiaofeng sighed. With a wry smile he said, “What are you? A man, or a dog?”

“I am neither a person nor a dog,” Canine Master[1] replied.

“So, what ‘thing’ are you?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“I am not a ‘thing’ either,” Canine Master replied, “Therefore, I am coming to you.”

“What for?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“If you promise me one thing, I’ll give you two news,” Canine Master said.

“Is it good news, or bad news?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

Canine Master laughed; he said, “Coming out from my mouth, how can there be good news?”

Lu Xiaofeng also laughed. Suddenly, as fast as lightning, he made his move; his two fingers pinched Canine Master’s nose.

The two most valuable fingers in Wulin, the most famous unique skill in Jianghu. Canine Master was practically helpless to evade. Even if he could plainly see that these two fingers were about to pinch his nose, he would still be helpless to evade.

Lu Xiaofeng smiled and said, “I hear that dogs’ nose is the sharpest, it must be difficult for a dog to pass his days without a nose.”

Canine Master’s yellowish face turned deep red; he couldn’t even breathe.

Lu Xiaofeng let go of his hand and said, “Let’s hear your news first.”

Canine Master took a deep breath and said, “What news?”

Lu Xiaofeng laughed again. Suddenly, as fast as lightning, his two fingers pinched Canine Master’s nose again.

Canine Master still could not evade it.

Lu Xiaofeng let go of his hand again, and then smiled and said, “What do you think the news is?”

This time Canine Master could only tell the truth, because he understood one thing – as soon as Lu Xiaofeng made his move, he could easily pinch his nose, just as easy as an old beggar caught lice.

“General is dying, Little Leaf disappeared.”

Those were the news coming out of his mouth, the news were indeed not good news.

“Nobody knew where Little Leaf went?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

With a wry laugh Canine Master said, “Not even a dog knew; much less a human?”

“What about the General?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“General is just waiting to die,” Canine Master replied.

Lu Xiaofeng said, “I know my own strength when I made my move, I did not wish for him to die at all.”

“Other than you,” Canine Master said, “There are other people in here.”

Lu Xiaofeng said, “If somebody else killed him, the debt would be put on my head.”

“Hence you should understand my good intention,” Canine Master said, “General has always been good friends with Old Sabre Honcho.”

“Hence I ought to agree to your condition,” Lu Xiaofeng said.

Canine Master said, “I just want you to take me along when you go.”

“That’s it?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“To you, it’s a small thing, to me, it’s a big thing,” Canine Master said.

“Alright,” Lu Xiaofeng said, “I promise.”

Canine Master suddenly kneeled down and knocked his head heavily on the ground. Looking up, he let out a relieved sigh and said, “Too bad I don’t have a tail, otherwise I will wag my tail at least three times whenever I see you.”

“Where is General?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“General is naturally at the General’s Mansion,” Canine Master replied.

There was a forest outside the General’s Mansion, Canine Master has left, but there was someone panting like a dog in the forest.

To be able to pant was a good thing, because General’s breathing had stopped.

Someone, panting like a dog, was riding astride his body, strangling his throat with both hands.

This man was, unexpectedly, Dugu Mei.

Lu Xiaofeng rushed over and slapped him with the back of his palm, sending him flying outside. General’s face looked like ‘golden paper’ [used in funeral ceremony], his heart still seemed to be beating, his eyes had not closed; he looked at Lu Xiaofeng with eyes that were begging for pity, as if he wanted to say something.

When at the brink of death someone wanted to say something, usually it was a big secret. Too bad he could not even speak a single word. When Lu Xiaofeng leaned over, his heart had stopped beating.

Dugu Mei was still panting for breath. Lu Xiaofeng grabbed him and said, “Did the two of you have any enmity?”

Dugu Mei shook his head.

“Was he going to kill you?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

Again Dugu Mei shook his head.

“Then why did you kill him?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

Dugu Mei stared at him. His breathing gradually calmed, while his eyes gradually became sharp. Suddenly he asked back, “Do you really think that I am the ‘Cold-Blooded’ Dugu Mei?”

Anybody would ever dream of him suddenly asking that question. Lu Xiaofeng was no exception, “You are not?”

Dugu Mei sighed. Suddenly he said some more shocking words, “Take my pants off.”

Lu Xiaofeng stared at him for a very long time. Suddenly he laughed and said, “I have never taken a man’s pants off, but this time I am making an exception.”

Dugu Mei was an old man, but his buttocks still looked firm and youthful.

“Do you see a tumor there?”

Naturally Lu Xiaofeng could not miss it. The tumor was big enough to be seen clearly from a li [1 li is approx. 1/2km or 1/3mile] away.

Dugu Mei said, “Use this blade to cut it open.” He handed over a knife, the blade was razor sharp.

In all his life, Lu Xiaofeng has done countless bizarre things, but as he received the knife, he could not help hesitating for a long time before finally cut the tumor open.

Blood splashed, a golden ball, mixed with blood, burst out of the slit. “Cut the ball,” Dugu Mei said.

Once it was cut, Lu Xiaofeng found out that this golden ball was made of wax, wrapped in golden paper. Inside was a piece of yellow thin, tough silk fabric, with this note written on it:

‘Wudang’s Fourth Disciple, Sun Bubian, in disguise under the Sect Leader’s order on mission to investigate the whereabouts of a renegade. Signed.”

Underneath it, not only there was the official seal of Wudang Sect Leader, there was also Sect Leader Shi Zhenren’s [Taoist Spiritual Master] personal signature in grass-style writing.

Dugu Mei said, “This is Sect Leader Master’s proof of identity for me to be used in emergency.”

Lu Xiaofeng looked at him in shock; finally he sighed and said, “Looks like you really are not Dugu Mei.”

Sun Bubian said, “Before entering Wudang, I was a disciple of Hua’s Four-Nun School. Hua Xiang’s disguising skill is world-renown. But just to be safe, I also spent some time as a slave in Dugu Mei’s school. It took me the whole ten months to learn his voice, appearance and mannerism. I did not make any move until I felt absolutely safe.”

“You killed him?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

Sun Bubian nodded. “I simply cannot let anybody find another Dugu Mei,” he said.

“Who is this renegade you are investigating?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“The first one is Shi He,” Sun Bubian replied.

“And now you have found him?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“That is also thanks to you,” Sun Bubian said.

“Did Zhong Wugu die in your hands?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

[1] Orig. Quan Langjun: quan – dog, langjun – husband/master/playboy of rich family/pimp. Anybody has a better idea on how to translate this into English?

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs

From London with thanks!

Thanks foxs for a quick update.

Thanks!!!!