Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Lu Xiaofeng Book 5: Mansion of Spirits

Thanks, foxs.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    [1] Orig. Quan Langjun: quan – dog, langjun – husband/master/playboy of rich family/pimp. Anybody has a better idea on how to translate this into English?
    Lord Quan or Lord Huen? With the above footnote?
    And thanks for completing the series
    Kindle 2 Global Wireless with 多看 - Perfect e-book reading device

Thanks Foxs!

Canine Master is as good as any. Thks foxs.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post

“Did Zhong Wugu die in your hands?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

Is Zhong Wuqu = Boneless Zhong aka Wandering Soul ????

Default Chapter 10 - Part 6

Anh, HPC, Ysabel, ycb, Jaya, Clown, you are welcome. Justin, it's a business trip, I hope. Best wishes then. Baldy, my impression is closer to 'dogman', like in Spiderman or Batman, not 'lord' like 'the lord of the ring'. DongBin, I'll keep it as Canine Master then, at least for now. Liem, I think you are right, too lazy to go back and check.

“He was also Wudang’s renegade,” Sun Bubian replied, “I simply cannot let him live.”

Lu Xiaofeng’s eyes flashed; he said, “Wasn’t Jade Forest Swordsman Ye Lingfeng also Wudang disciple in the early days?”

“Both he and Zhong Wugu were layman-disciples of Wudang,” Sun Bubian replied, “Both were driven out of school by Grand Master Mei Zhenren.”

Mei Zhenren was Wooden Taoist’s older martial brother; after wielding power in Wudang Sect for seventeen years, he passed on the leadership to the current Sect Leader, Shi Yan.

Sun Bubian continued, “We investigated for a long time, and we all believed that using Dugu Mei’s identity as a cover was the safest way; too bad …”

“Too bad your secret was discovered by General,” Lu Xiaofeng said.

With a bitter laugh Sun Bubian said, “Everybody thought that he was seriously injured, I was nearly deceived as well, who would have thought that the man hiding in General’s Mansion to recover was not him; all along he had been watching me.”

“What made him see your secret?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

Sun Bubian said, “He was actually an old friend of Dugu Mei, he knew many secrets of Dugu Mei’s early years, but I did not. He trapped me using words, I had no choice but to kill him to silence him.”

“Why did you tell this secret to me?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“This is an emergency,” Sun Bubian replied, “I cannot stay silent, not only I want you to guard this secret, I also want you to help me. I cannot stay in this place much longer, I must go back to Wudang right away.”

With a barely perceptible smile he said, “Naturally I have found out long ago that you are not the type of man who’d sell his friend. From the beginning I never believe that you really seduced Ximen Chuixue’s wife. That must be a ruse you guys concocted because you also want to uncover the secret of the Mansion of Spirits.”

Lu Xiaofeng stared at him for a very long time. Suddenly he heaved a deep sigh and said, “Pity, pity … what a pity …”

“What do you mean, pity?” Sun Bubian asked.

“Pity that you are wrong,” Lu Xiaofeng said.

Sun Bubian’s countenance changed. With a harsh tone he said, “Did you forget who brought you here?”

“I did not forget,” Lu Xiaofeng coldly said, “And I haven’t forgotten that in these two days you have harmed me three times. If it was not for Old Sabre Honcho, I would have died in your hands.”

“Are you saying that you did not see that I deliberately did all those things as a show in front of them?” Sun Bubian asked.

“I could not see it,” Lu Xiaofeng said.

Sun Bubian stared at him. Suddenly he also heaved a deep sigh and said, “Good, you are very good.”

“Not good, I am not good at all,” Lu Xiaofeng said.

Sun Bubian said, “In that case, you deserve to die!” While shouting, his body had already pounced. His fingertips were still half a chi [Chinese foot, approx. 1ft or 1/3m], the hollow of his palm suddenly stuck out forward to strike Lu Xiaofeng’s xuanji [lit. mysterious principle] acupoint. It was indeed the Little Celestial Star Palm technique from Wudang, moreover, his aim was amazingly accurate.

Too bad that by the time his palm arrived, Lu Xiaofeng’s xuanji acupoint has already gone, along with his entire body.

Sun Bubian flipped his palm and launched ‘Mysterious Bird Scattering the Sand’, ‘Goose Fall onto Flat Sand’, and ‘Northern Goose Flying South’, one move three styles. In his hand, not only this kind of light but tightly knit Wudang Palm Technique appeared powerful, the changes also happened very fast.

Lu Xiaofeng sighed and said, “Priest Shi’s disciple indeed performs as expected.”

The sentence completed, all Sun Bubian’s moves hit empty space. No matter how fast he moved, Lu Xiaofeng seemed to be always one step ahead of him. In term of Wudang Palm Technique, Lu Xiaofeng’s knowledge did not seem to be less than his.

Suddenly he stopped. Staring at Lu Xiaofeng he said, “Did you train Wudang’s martial art as well?”

Lu Xiaofeng chuckled. “I did not train Wudang’s martial art,” he said, “But I do have a lot of Wudang friends.”

A glimmer of hope appeared in Sun Bubian’s eyes. “In that case, you have to help me escape even more,” he said.

“Too bad you are not my friend,” Lu Xiaofeng replied, “You helped me once, you harmed me three times, and just now I yielded to you for eight moves; our books have been settled long ago.”

Lu Xiaofeng added, “And now I am ready to make my move!”

The move he used was, unexpectedly, also Wudang’s Little Celestial Star Palm technique; his palm facing out, the acupoint he struck was also xuanji acupoint.

Sun Bubian pulled his arm and turned around, trying to evade this palm strike, but Lu Xiaofeng’s left palm struck the major artery on the back of his neck. As he fell down, he looked at Lu Xiaofeng with surprise in his eyes.

Lu Xiaofeng smiled and said, “Don’t you know that I have two palms?”

Naturally Sun Bubian did, but he never imagined that a human hand could move that fast.

Old Sabre Honcho was sitting on his old, spacious wooden chair, watching Lu Xiaofeng; he seemed to enjoy the show very much.

Old chair is just like an old friend, it always make people feel very comfortable, very pleasant. Too bad Lu Xiaofeng still could not see his face.

Sun Bubian was right in front of him, but he did not even cast him a single glance; apparently his interest in Lu Xiaofeng was greater than his interest in anybody else.

“This man is a spy,” Lu Xiaofeng said, “A spy from Wudang.”

“Why didn’t you kill him?” Old Sabre Honcho asked.

“I have no right to kill people, I don’t wish to kill either,” Lu Xiaofeng replied.

“In that case, you ought to let him go,” Old Sabre Honcho said.

Lu Xiaofeng was caught by surprise, “Let him go?” he asked.

Old Sabre Honcho flatly said, “All real spies have already died long ago, no one has ever survived more than three days in here.”

“So he is not?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“He is indeed a spy,” Old Sabre Honcho said, “But not Wudang’s spy; he is mine. Many years ago I sent him to go undercover at Wudang.”

Lu Xiaofeng was stumped.

Old Sabre Honcho laughed again; a very cheerful laugh. “No matter what, you should thank him.”

“Why would I want to thank him?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“Because of him, I trust you completely,” Old Sabre Honcho replied.

“So you also sent him to test me?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

Old Sabre Honcho smiled, “Some people are just born as spies, you can only send them out to do spy thing, and they never disappoint you.”

“So this man is a natural born spy?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“From head to toes,” Old Sabre Honcho replied.

Lu Xiaofeng sighed. Suddenly he kicked Sun Bubian, just like kicking a ball, sending him rolling away.

Old Sabre Honcho also sighed; he said, “Being a spy, there is only one disadvantage: this kind of people are just like donkeys, oftentimes people give them a couple of kicks.”

“I just kicked him once,” Lu Xiaofeng said.

“Who else are you going to kick?” Old Sabre Honcho asked.

“Kick myself,” Lu Xiaofeng replied.

“Are you also a spy?” Old Sabre Honcho asked.

“I am not a spy,” Lu Xiaofeng replied, “I am just a donkey, a stupid dumb ***.” He looked furious, “Because with all my heart I was going to rescue someone else’s daughter, but in return I got a slap; not only that, the slap happened to land on my neck.”

Old Sabre Honcho sighed again and said, “You ought to know that I will never let you go to rescue her.”

“But I don’t,” Lu Xiaofeng said.

Old Sabre Honcho said, “Not only that swamp has deathly traps everywhere, it also has quicksand; once you are going down, not even your skeleton will survive. How could I put you at risk?”

“Why not?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“Because I need you,” Old Sabre Honcho said, “General and Zhong Wugu are dead, right now you are my right arm. If I lose this arm, I am afraid the big plan I prepared for some time might vanish into thin air.”

“Are you saying that right now you can’t do without me?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

His question was very unusual, and he worded it very cautiously. Actually, he could ask the same question using only six words, but this time he was using sixteen words. [Trust me, Lu Xiaofeng’s question above consists of 16 Chinese characters.]

But Old Sabre Honcho’s answer was simple and blunt, “Yes.”

Lu Xiaofeng laughed.

Just as he started to laugh, like an eagle his body soared, his hands were the claws. The prey of these claws was the bamboo rain hat on Old Sabre Honcho’s head.

Old Sabre Honcho was still sitting, unmoving, but the claws caught an empty spot.

Even the quickest and craftiest fox or rabbit would have difficulty escaping eagle’s claw, and Lu Xiaofeng’s movement was faster and more accurate than eagle claw.

But he caught an empty spot, because Old Sabre Honcho, along with his chair, suddenly slipped out of the way, just like a kayak suddenly swept away by the torrent. The heavy wooden chair seemed to be one entity with his body.

woot - another update. Thanks!

Thanks foxs

Nerve wrecking ... thks foxs.

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs for another update.

Superb! It's developing very well!
    Thank you Foxs!

This had me chuckling:

Lu Xiaofeng smiled and said, “Don’t you know that I have two palms?”

Thanks foxs

Default Chapter 10 - Part 7

ycb, HPC, DongBin, Jaya, Ysabel, Clown, Anh, you are welcome. Here is the end of Chapter 10.

Lu Xiaofeng sighed, his body landed down slowly. He knew that since this first strike failed, the second one would be even more difficult to succeed.

“You wanted to see me?” Old Sabre Honcho asked.

With a wry laugh Lu Xiaofeng replied, “You want me to die for you, at least you ought to let me see who you are.”

“I don’t look good,” Old Sabre Honcho replied, “And I don’t want you to die for me either. If this matter succeeds, it will be advantageous to everybody.”

“What if it doesn’t succeed?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

Old Sabre Honcho said matter-of-factly, “You will die, which is not a big deal, since you are supposed to be dead anyway.”

Lu Xiaofeng asked, “Did you establish this Mansion of Spirits just to get people in here to take risks for you?”

Old Sabre Honcho replied, “People who came here are people who had already died once; what’s the harm in dying one more time?”

“Perhaps people who had already died once are more afraid to die,” Lu Xiaofeng noted.

Old Sabre Honcho agreed with him on this point, “But what’s the difference between hiding in this place and death?”

Lu Xiaofeng sighed. He admitted that the difference was indeed not much.

Old Sabre Honcho’s dagger-like gaze looked at Lu Xiaofeng from behind the bamboo rain hat, “Would you stay here forever?” he asked.

Immediately Lu Xiaofeng shook his head.

“Other than the two of us, there are thirty-seven other residents, and you seem to have met them all,” Old Sabre Honcho said, “What did you see?”

With a wry smile Lu Xiaofeng said, “I can’t see anything.”

Old Sabre Honcho seemed to be very pleased, “Of course you can’t see anything, because all edges and sharp corners have been ground smooth, they all look like very ordinary, mediocre people.”

“While the fact is?” Lu Xiaofeng prompted.

Old Sabre Honcho said, “Those who are able to come here, every single one of them is a martial art expert, everyone had a glorious history. Just like you, no one is willing to be left out. No one wishes to stay here for the rest of their life.”

His voice was very cheerful, “As long as everybody can have the hope of seeing the light again, we can make this endeavor successful.”

Finally Lu Xiaofeng could not bear not to ask, “When all is said and done, what is this endeavor, actually?”

“You’ll find out very soon,” Old Sabre Honcho said.

“When is very soon?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“Like, right now,” Old Sabre Honcho replied.

He had just finished speaking, the bell was ringing outside. Old Sabre Honcho stood up, his voice was even more cheerful, “But we must eat first,” he said, “I guarantee that you will be very satisfied with our lunch.”

The food was abundant, but the wine was very sparse; evidently Old Sabre Honcho wanted everybody to stay clear-headed.

But he himself drunk more than half ornamented golden goblet of Persian grape wine; and then surprisingly he poured another half a goblet.

It was the very first time Lu Xiaofeng saw him drinking wine. “It must be a very big day for him,” Lu Xiaofeng thought, “He must have been waiting for this day for a very long time.”

Everybody was eating silently with their heads down; they all ate very little, and most did not even drink. Therefore, Lu Xiaofeng could drink a bit more wine. It was only after he had had his fill that he leisurely sizing up these people.

Although everybody was wearing oversized, conservative long gown, under the dim light in the hall, there were still several people who appeared comparatively more eye-catching.

There was a big man with ringworms on his face about the size of golden coin; after drinking two cups of wine, each ringworm on his face appeared to shine like copper coins.

Another man had a purple face with long beard, he looked somewhat like the Guan Gong on the stage. And then there was a man with fat all over his face, his belly was sticking out like a ball. One man wore a serious expression, as if he was sitting in a torture chamber. And then there was an old granny whose teeth were nearly gone, yet she ate more than anybody else in the hall.

Still there were a few old, thin men who were exceptionally quiet. They were eye-catching, perhaps precisely because they were so quiet.

Other than Liu Qingqing, the youngest one had a round face like a pot, he appeared to be a midget who looked like a kid. The oldest were those quiet old men wearing black clothes.

As Lu Xiaofeng looked around, he tried to figure out the origin of these people from his memory. The first one that came to his mind was the ‘Leopard’ Hua Kui. [Translator’s note: the first two characters of the word ‘leopard’金钱豹 are the same word as ‘gold coin’ above.]

This man was tall, the amount of wine he consumed was not less than that of Lu Xiaofeng’s. His movements seemed slow; the ringworms on his face made him look a bit comical.

But when he shot his secret projectiles, nobody would ever think that he was comical. The Hua family of Jiangnan was the Jianghu’s most prestigious secret projectile family.

And Hua Kui was a direct descendant of Hua family. Some even said that in term of secret projectile skill, he could be ranked among the top three experts in the world.

Lu Xiaofeng has also noted that although he had drunk a lot of wine, his pair of hands still looked very steady.

That man with a solemn expression like a government official, could he be the torture chamber’s Hall Master of the Seventy-two Strongholds of the Criminal Underworld of the yesteryear, the ‘Pungent Hand Soul Chaser’ Du Tiexin?

And that old granny; could she be the ‘Mother Ape’ of the ‘Twin Apes of Qinling’ [mountain range in Shaanxi]? Just because of several banner peaches that according to legend could promise longevity, she did not hesitate to cut her husband’s neck, the ‘Divine Physician Immortal Ape’ Lou Dasheng.

Who were those old men in black who never talk? And that round-faced, big-headed dwarf?

Lu Xiaofeng was unable to continue his musing because right that moment Liu Qingqing was quietly pulling the corner of his clothes, and was quietly asking, “Where’s your wife?”

Lu Xiaofeng was taken aback, and then he realized that she was talking about Ye Ling. “I heard she disappeared.”

“Don’t you want to know where she went?” Liu Qingqing asked.

“I don’t,” Lu Xiaofeng replied.

Liu Qingqing pouted her mouth, and then with a deliberate sigh said, “Indeed there is not one good thing among men. But I simply must tell you.”

She lowered her voice even more, “She must be underwater right now.”

Lu Xiaofeng did not understand, “How could she be underwater? How did you know she is underwater?”

Liu Qingqing said, “Because, before leaving she stole other people’s fish skin-like wetsuit, and four pairs of ‘parting water flying fish harpoon’.”

Lu Xiaofeng was even more surprised. There were two things that surprised him more:

-- Wetsuit and harpoon do not have to be used only underwater; these objects were equally useful in the miry water of the swamp. Could it be that Ye Ling was looking for her older sister? How did she know what happened at the swamp?

-- The fish skin-like wetsuit and flying fish harpoons were very famous underwater weapons in Jianghu, belonging to a very famous character.

Not only the name of ‘Master of the Flying Fish Island’ shook the seven seas, he was also very famous within the Wulin world of the Central Plains. Not only his water skill was extremely high, his swordsmanship was not weak either.

If this person had not died, if he was in here, he should also be very eye-catching. Yet Lu Xiaofeng had not found him.

Liu Qingqing was still waiting for his response, hence all along she did not open her mouth.

Lu Xiaofeng was lost in thought for a while; finally he asked, “Did Old Sabre Honcho know about it?”

Liu Qingqing chuckled and said, “It seems to me that there is nothing in here that Old Sabre Honcho did not know about.”

-- Ye Ling went out to look for her sister, could it be that it was Old Sabre Honcho who incited her? Otherwise, how could she know Ye Xue’s whereabouts?

Lu Xiaofeng did not ask about anything else, because he suddenly discovered that there was someone, without word without any noise, standing behind them.

When he looked back, he immediately saw a faceless face; unexpectedly it was the Soul Collector, who had never made any appearance before.

The atmosphere in the hall grew heavier and more serious. Everybody seemed to be a bit frightened by this faceless man.

He did not sit down; he merely stood motionless behind Old Sabre Honcho.

He wore a sword on his waist.

On the antique looking, yet elegant sword sheathe, there were seven marks that looked like they were made by blade. It was obvious that originally there were pearls, jades and jewels embedded above the marks.

If it was in Wudang, only the Sect Leader could wear the Seven-Star Treasured Sword on his waist!

Just then, Hai Qikuo suddenly stood up, and with a thunderous voice announced, “Operation Thunder has begun!”

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks!!!!

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs