Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Lu Xiaofeng Book 5: Mansion of Spirits

Thanks Foxs! Cliffhanger as usual....

Thanks foxs for another update

Thanks, foxs

thanks foxs!!!

Default Chapter 13 - Part 1

szfong, HPC, Clown, Ysabel, ycb, Justin, you are welcome. The cliffhanger was Gu Long's, not mine ...

Chapter 13 – Success is the only option
    (Translated by Foxs)

The style of this restaurant was very exquisite, the size was also very big, but the business was not so good. Although right now was dinner time, there were only three occupied tables in that spacious restaurant floor. [Translator’s note: the original character indicates second floor.]

Gao Xingkong and the others’ party did not consist of only three people, there was already someone waiting for them in one of the tables.

This person was tall and majestic, with grand appearance. Looking at his imposing manner and his attire, he must be a famous Wulin character.

But Lu Xiaofeng obviously did not recognize him; so much so that he did not even remember seeing this person.

The number of well-known Wulin characters that Lu Xiaofeng had never seen was indeed not many.

The table with the most number of people was also the table with most wine on it, it had men and women sitting around it.

The men were wearing gorgeous and expensive looking clothes; they must be either rich salt merchants from Yangzhou, or off-duty minor government officials in civilian clothes. The women were wearing provocative dress, they acted in loose and coquettish manner; undoubtedly they were women of windblown dust [i.e. prostitute].

The table with the least number of people only had one person sitting on it.

A man wearing white clothes, as white as snow.

Seeing this person, Lu Xiaofeng immediately felt the palm of his hands wet with cold sweats. He really never expected that he would see this person in this place. Otherwise, even if there was someone behind him with a whip in his hand, he would never want to climb up the stairs.

Yet since he was already upstairs, he could not go back down.

Lu Xiaofeng could only brace himself and find a place to sit. Liu Qingqing was looking at him with cold eyes; she could almost see the beads of perspiration behind his human-skin mask were ready to pop out.

But the man in white did not look at them, not even a sidelong glance with the corner of his eyes.

His face was ashen.

His sword was lying on the table.

He drank only water. Plain clear water. Not wine.

Evidently he was always ready to kill.

Wooden Taoist greeted him, but he acted as if he did not see him. This senior character from Wudang, whose reputation in Jianghu was resounding, seemed like an invisible character in his eyes.

The fact is: he had never considered anybody worthy to look at.

But Wooden Taoist simply laughed; he shook his head while muttering with a smile, “I don’t blame him. No matter how rude he is, I simply cannot blame him.”

The big and tall, majestic looking old man could not help asking, “Why?”

Wooden Taoist said, “Because he is Ximen Chuixue.”

The heaven above, the earth below, the one and only Ximen Chuixue!

The heaven above, the earth below, the unique and unmatched sword!

As long as there was a sword in his hand, he had the right not to consider anybody worthy to look at!

Perhaps right now he had his eyes on Lu Xiaofeng alone.

Hatred is like some kind of exotic poisonous weeds. Although it’s nature is to inflict harm, it can also bring out one’s full potential, so that his willpower will be more staunch, his reaction more keen.

Moreover, once this kind of sword attacked, it would not miss even a hundredth of hair width, it had the sharpness of a pair of eagle or falcon eyes.

Right now it never occurred to him that Lu Xiaofeng was right in front of him, but if Lu Xiaofeng exposed the least bit of flaw, he would never be able to escape this pair of sharp eyes.

The dishes have been served, the waiter was asking, “Master guests, which wine would you like to drink?”

Liu Qingqing immediately said, “We don’t drink wine today, not the least bit of wine.”

Wine could easily make people to be careless, and the smallest negligence could be fatal.

However, wine could also make people relax, it could calm people’s nerve.

Lu Xiaofeng laughed and said, “Today we do not drink a bit of wine, we will drink a lot.”

He smiled while patting Cousin’s shoulder, “Today is my son’s birthday; how can a propitious day be without any wine? Give us a jar of Green Bamboo Leaf first.”

Liu Qingqing shot a malicious look at him, but he seemed to be completely oblivious; he continued with a smile, “By nature men and wine are fated together, cautious words of a woman, we must not listen. Come, you two also sit down and accompany me several cups.”

Housekeeper and Hai Qikuo had no choice but to sit down.

Listening from the side, Wooden Taoist laughed aloud while stroking his beard, “Good one! Cautious words of a woman, we must not listen; if we listen, it’s superfluous and the words belong to the three great vanities [? Not sure about this].”

The wine was really fine, they drank it even faster. After three cups of wine entered his belly, Lu Xiaofeng’s countenance naturally became brighter, his eyes were shining.

Finally he has come out of Ximen Chuixue’s shadow; in fact, he seemed to forget that there was such person in that restaurant right now.

Suddenly Ximen Chuixue fixed his blade-sharp gaze on him. Wooden Taoist was also staring at him. Suddenly he raised his cup and laughed, “Friend who is fated to be with wine, could the old Taoist toast you one cup?”

Lu Xiaofeng laughed and said, “Deference is no substitute for obedience, this old man [orig. ‘old rotten’, a humble way to refer to self] must also toast Priest three cups.”

Wooden Taoist roared in laughter. Suddenly he came over; his razor-like eyes were also fixed on Lu Xiaofeng as he said, “What’s your respected surname?”

“It’s Xiong,” Lu Xiaofeng replied, “Xiong from ‘bear and tiger’ [xiong means bear].”

Wooden Taoist said, “Strangers coming together by chance, I should have not bothered you, but the heroic way Xiong Xiong [brother bear] drinks his wine reminds me a lot of a friend of mine.”

Liu Qingqing’s heart skipped a beat. Unexpectedly Lu Xiaofeng was still able to laugh very cheerfully; he said, “And where is this friend of the Priest?”

Wooden Taoist replied, “Far away at the ends of the earth, yet so close in front of my eyes.”

Liu Qingqing’s heart almost jumped out of her throat. Lu Xiaofeng almost spilled the wine in his cup as well.

But Wooden Taoist looked up and heaved a deep sigh; he continued, “Heaven is jealous of the braves and the talented. Although this friend of mine has gone far away to the Western Paradise (i.e. dead), but here we have wine, and we have old friends, perhaps his brave soul has returned in front of my eyes.”

Liu Qingqing relaxed, Lu Xiaofeng also felt relieved, because they did not look at Ximen Chuixue.

Ximen Chuixue’s pale face grew even paler that it almost appeared transparent; his hand already rested on the hilt of his sword.

Suddenly there was a clear ringing sound from outside the window, clear like the sound of dragon cry.

Only a very sharp sword being pulled out of its scabbard would make such a clear and resonant sound like a dragon cry.

The pupil of Ximen Chuixue’s eyes contracted immediately.

In that same split second, there seemed to be a flash of lightning in the night sky, a streak of cold ray flashed through the window, straight toward Ximen Chuixue.

Ximen Chuixue’s sword was still on the table, it was still inside the sheath. But a cup containing fresh water sitting next to the sword scabbard suddenly shot out to meet the sword ray.

‘Ding!’ the cup shattered into a million pieces, with millions of water droplets, like cold mist filling the air.

The sword ray disappeared, but a man appeared in the midst of the cold mist.

A man wearing black, even his face was covered in black cloth, only his eyes were visible, a pair of luminous and bright eyes.

On the table there was no more sword, the sword was already in hand.

The man in black stared at him and said, “Draw your sword.”

Ximen Chuixue coldly said, “Seven people is too little, why do you have to die?”

The men in black did not understand, “Seven people?”

Ximen Chuixue said, “Under the heavens, the number people who are fit to use sword is only seven, including you. Mastering sword like this is not easy at all.”

He waved his hand, “Go.”

“And if I don’t go I die?” the man in black said.

“Yes,” Ximen Chuixue replied.

The man in black let out a cold laugh, “I am afraid the one to die is not me, it’s you!”

His sword flew again.

Wooden Taoist knitted his brows, “This sword is not inferior to Ye Gucheng’s Immortal Flying to the Outer Heaven; who is this man?”

Only Lu Xiaofeng knew who this man was.

He remembered the steel rope bridge bordering life and death outside the Mansion of Spirits, the sword that was able to penetrate the rock.

Shi He, the man with no face.

He was bent on deciding superiority between Ximen Chuixue and him.

Another clear ringing dragon cry sound, Ximen Chuixue’s sword was out of its sheath.

Nobody could describe the changes and the speed of these two swords.

Nobody could describe the battle between these two men.

Again - thanks!!!

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs

Thank you Foxs for the works.
    "Beau non fidele en fidele non beau"

d'enfant fiscale

“好一个‘妇人之言,慎不可听’,听此一言,已当浮三大白。”

浮三大白: It is a Chinese idiom that implies a penalty for losing a bet - 3 cups of wine. There is a long story behind the words 大白 being related to wine drinking.

My rough translation:
    "One should not listen to the advice (or words) of a woman heedlessly; if you so much as to listen to only one word, you should punish yourself with 3 cups of wine"

Thks for the speedy updates, foxs.

Quote Originally Posted by foxs View Post
    [I]Anh, Clown, HPC, DongBin, Ysabel, Jaya, you are welcome. ycb, first one is fixed, second one, I understand it is kind of awkward in English, but the original was 'die'; besides, 'go to' is not as strong as 'die', remember that LQQ hated (or at least very upset with) LXF. owl, you mean revisiting the story you are translating? Hang in there, don't give up. How much is left? Is it a short or a long book? Short, LXF series, long, Deer and Cauldron.
    Thanks! But I couldn't translate as fast as you guys and yes, revisiting the story I am translating hee just that I didn't manage to finish the last book before I had to return the book to the library so thought I will read that last book when I reach that stage in translation. There are 8 books in total, roughly about 30 chapters per book....I'm at the 3rd book

And thks for the translation Foxs

Default Chapter 13 - Part 2

ycb, HPC, Ysabel, Anh, Anok, you are welcome. DongBin, thanks, I'll see how to incorporate that info into the text. Owl, oh wow, 8 books times 30 chapters, that is long ... Best of luck to you. I am looking forward to enjoying your work.

Sword aura criss-crossing the air, all cups, bowls and plates in the restaurant were shattered, the sword wind split the air, forcing everybody present to hold their breath.

Surprisingly the countenance of the four richly dressed old men did not change, while the women accompanying them scrambled away like flying orioles, scattering swallows; their heavily made-up faces turned deathly pale.

Suddenly a sword ray flew up and struck down from the sky, the man in black slanted his body sideways to evade, but he happened to fall onto the old men’s table.

Ximen Chuixue’s sword continued striking down from above, the man in black was completely enveloped by the sword.

He had lost the crucial momentum, while there was no way to retreat.

Who would have thought that right that moment the restaurant floor suddenly gave up?

-- The table fell down, the man in black fell down along with the table, the four richly dressed old men, who were sitting motionless around the table, also fell down.

A large gaping hole suddenly appeared on the restaurant floor. It was like the earth suddenly split up,

Ximen Chuixue’s sword flitted pass above the hole, clearly he had never anticipated this change.

He was thinking of going down the hole to pursue, who would have thought that this piece of floor suddenly flew back up. ‘Crack!’ it just happened to restore the hole on the floor.

The table was still standing on this piece of floor, the four richly dressed old men were still sitting motionless around the table.

It appeared that these four men had used the soles of their feet to ‘suck’ the floor back up, but the man in black has disappeared from the table!

Sword ray has also disappeared, the sword has returned to its sheath.

Ximen Chuixue stared at them with his cold eyes, but in his cold gaze there was a hint of surprise and amazement.

Gao Xingkong, Ying Yan Laoqi, Wooden Taoist, also could not refrain from looking at each other, their smiles faded.

Obviously by now they had seen clearly that these four richly dressed old men were not salt merchants with ten thousand strings of cash in their money belt, neither were they off-duty government officials in civilian clothes, but they were martial art experts of the Wulin world whose power was unfathomably deep.

They had used their internal power to break the piece of the floor, and again used their internal energy to suck the floor back to its original place. Just how many people in Wulin had skill that has reached this level?

“Three people,” Ximen Chuixue suddenly said.

The richly dressed old men looked at him calmly and quietly, waiting for him to continue.

Ximen Chuixue continued, “Those who are able to receive the forty-nine sword strike of mine, there are only three people.”

That was because in just a short battle a moment ago, he had thrust his sword seven by seven, forty nine times.

Indeed he had never used forty-nine strike to kill anybody before.

The oldest among the four richly dressed old men finally opened his mouth, “What do you say, which one is he?”

“Neither one,” Ximen Chuixue said.

“Oh?” the richly dressed old man said.

Ximen Chuixue coldly said, “Those three people have already reached the status of leaders of a sect or a school, even if their blood splashes under the sword, they would never run away.”

The richly dressed old man said indifferently, “In that case he must have been the fourth person.”

“There is no fourth person!” Ximen Chuixue stated.

The richly dressed old man said, “Sire still have a sword in your hand, why not try it, see if we can receive forty-nine strike of Sire’s sword?”

Ximen Chuixue said, “Even if you can receive it, I am afraid from the four of you, only three will be left alive.”

“What about you?” the richly dressed old man asked.

Ximen Chuixue shut his mouth up.

Dealing with these four men, he really did not have any confidence.

The richly dressed old men also shut their mouths. Because dealing with Ximen Chuixue, they did not have any confidence either.

From among the four young women in fancy dress who accompanied the old men, one girl wearing emerald green colored light gown suddenly called out, “Jiujiu [maternal uncle]!” She was calling out to Lu Xiaofeng, while rushing toward him, “I finally found you, I’ve been looking for you everywhere.”

Lu Xiaofeng was stunned.

He has always been a bachelor, an official single man; but now, not only he had a son, he had also suddenly become someone else’s maternal uncle.

The young woman had already kneeled in front of him with tears streaming down her cheeks, “Uncle, don’t you recognize me? I am Xiao Cui, your own sister’s daughter, Xiao Cui.”

Lu Xiaofeng suddenly wrapped his arms around her, “How could I not recognize you? Where is your Mom?”

Xiao Cui said, “I … I had no choice, they … they …” Before she could finish, she has already burst into tears again.

Lu Xiaofeng suddenly sprang up and charged toward the richly dressed old men, and cursed them, “You must have bullied her; otherwise, why would she cry in such a grief-stricken manner?”

He grabbed the lapel of an old man’s clothes, “You look older than I am, yet you bullied a lone and poor little girl; aren’t you human? I’ll stake my life against you.”

He forcefully pulled the old man. Xiao Cui rushed over as well, and pulled him from behind.

Suddenly, ‘crash!’ the floor gave up again, the three of them fell one upon another.

Ximen Chuixue was stunned.

The ones he was about to deal with just now, they were most probably the most terrifying adversaries he had ever faced in his life.

But now all of a sudden what he was facing was no more than a big gaping hole.

He could only walk away.

When he passed Wooden Taoist’s table, he suddenly paused and said, “How are you?”

Wooden Taoist was taken aback. He then laughed heartily and said, “Good, I am very good. I did not expect you to know me.”

“Have you seen Lu Xiaofeng?” Ximen Chuixue asked.

Wooden Taoist stopped laughing; he sighed and said, “I haven’t. Nobody has ever seen him.”

Ximen Chuixue let out a cold laugh.

Wooden Taoist changed the subject, “Are you going to Wudang?” he asked.

“No,” Ximen Chuixue replied.

“Why?” Wooden Taoist asked.

“Because I have sword,” Ximen Chuixue replied, “And Wudang has the Shedding-sword Rock.”

“You never want to part with your sword?” Wooden Taoist asked.

“That’s right,” Ximen Chuixue replied.

The big and tall, majestic looking old man suddenly let out a cold laugh and said, “You don’t dare to bring a sword up to Wudang?”

Ximen Chuixue replied coldly, “I only dare to kill. If you say another word, I am going to kill you!”

Nobody said another word.

Ximen Chuixue still had a sword in his hand.

He took his sword and headed down the stairs, and walked out without ever looking back.

Lu Xiaofeng was still bickering with the richly dressed old men, he did not even cast them a single glance.

The city center was still bright from the lanterns.

Watching him walking toward the brightly lit street, watching him walking far away, the big and tall, majestic looking old man sighed. “Is it true that there are only three people in the world who can take his forty-nine sword strikes?”

“It is,” Wooden Taoist replied.

“Nobody else can take his sword?” the old man asked.

“Nobody,” Wooden Taoist replied.

“Is he really unequalled under the heavens?” Gao Xingkong asked.

The big and tall old man suddenly laughed and said, “Maybe there is nobody who can take his sword, but there is somebody who can kill him!”

“Who?” Gao Xingkong and Yingyan Laoqi asked simultaneously.

The big and tall, majestic looking old man laughed. His laughter seemed very mysterious, as he said slowly, “As long as you have the patience to wait, sooner or later this person will appear.”

Conflict that occurs suddenly oftentimes also ends abruptly. Others seemed to be baffled by it, although in their hearts they have their own outlook.

As soon as Ximen Chuixue left, Lu Xiaofeng also walked away. Naturally the richly-dressed old men could not stop him. Everybody acted like all these things had never happened.

Right now Lu Xiaofeng was sitting comfortably in his carriage, and the carriage was beginning to move forward.

His ‘niece’, who was wearing emerald green colored light gown, who looked very attractive and cute, was sitting right in front of him. Although her face still had tears that have not dried out yet, there was no grief-stricken expression on it at all; instead, there was a hint of smile in her eyes, as if she found that all these things were quite amusing.

Thanks foxs

Thanks, foxs.

Exciting fight but the gaping hole thing baffles me .... thks foxs.

Hurray for Foxs Daxia!
    Okay, honestly at this point, I'm so mystified, I haven't the slightest hint of what the overaching goal is supposed to be. Really strange this book 5.

Thanks for another exciting update... I wonder if his neice could be Beef Soup or one of his other previous lovers...

Thanks!!!!