Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Lu Xiaofeng Book 5: Mansion of Spirits

Thanks!!!!

Your unabridged thread on LXF - maybe the better title should be "Lu Xiaofeng Library (Unabridged)" or "...Collection..."

... would not not .... that's nice in a sort of way. Thks foxs.

Clown, depends on the feel ... but morning is bad for me.

Foxs, so awesome to see you still translating! Keep up the good work!
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Thanks foxs

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks foxs!!

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs for many updates. Loads of reading to catch-up on.

Default Chapter 10 - Part 2

szfong, Anh, Jaya, Justin, HPC, Ysabel, you are welcome. ycb, that is a very good idea, unfortunately, I cannot change thread's title. Only moderator can. DongBin, Chinese uses a lot of negation, I don't know why. Instead of 'correct', they use 'not wrong', instead of 'bad', they use 'not good', etc. Hoju! this is just 'space filler', until real translators like you re-emerge ...

“And now you want to drink?” Liu Qingqing asked.

Cousin sighed and said, “Because the news is actually very bad.”

Bad news always makes people wanted to drink. The person who hears it wants to drink, the person who delivers it wants to drink even more.

Liu Qingqing immediately handed over the cup in her hand. As soon as he finished drinking, she asked, “What news?”

Cousin said, “Ye Xue has entered Skyway Pavilion.”

Instantly Liu Qingqing’s expression became very peculiar as well.

A long time afterwards, she slowly turned around to face Lu Xiaofeng, and slowly said, “Looks like you are the one who is wrong, not me.”

“What kind of place is this Skyway Pavilion?”

“It’s a log cabin, located on the Skyway Cliff. Skyway Cliff is that towering cliff at the back of the mountain.”

“I don’t think I’ve seen that cliff.”

“Of course you haven’t, this log cabin is temporarily closed.”

“What’s inside?”

“Nothing, only a coffin with a dead person inside.”

In the Mansion of Spirits, there was only one dead person.

“That closed log cabin is used to store Ye Guhong’s coffin.”

“Not to store it, to cremate it.”

Lu Xiaofeng’s heart sank.

Cousin said, “Ah Xue went there, obviously she wants to be buried together with her [older] brother, to be cremated together!”

A gloomy night, a dark cliff. In the dark night, that lone log cabin looked like a deathly grey object.

Three men were standing under the platform-like rock: Hai Qikuo, Housekeeper, and Old Sabre Honcho.

In the strong mountain breeze, the three people’s expression was as dark as the night.

Dry branches have already been piled up around the log cabin.

Lu Xiaofeng let Cousin and Liu Qingqing went forward to join them, while he halted his steps quite some distance away.

His heart was a mess; he needed to calm down first.

Liu Qingqing already asked, “How long has she been there?”

“Too long,” Old Sabre Honcho replied.

“Who first saw her there?” Liu Qingqing asked.

“Nobody,” Old Sabre Honcho replied, “She told me to come here. She had the night guard on duty come to me, saying that she has last words she wanted to tell me.”

“And what did she say?” Liu Qingqing asked.

Old Sabre Honcho clenched his fists. “She wanted me to find the real killer, and wanted me to avenge his brother!” he said.

“That was her last words?” Liu Qingqing asked.

Old Sabre Honcho nodded. His countenance grew heavier, “She is ready to die,” he said grimly.

“Why don’t you go talk to her?” Liu Qingqing asked.

Old Sabre Honcho replied, “She said that as soon as I come, she would immediately die in front of me.”

Liu Qingqing no longer asked questions; she certainly knew that Ye Xue was someone who mean what she says, and she has never been known as someone who easily changed her mind for whatever reason.

The wind grew colder. Vaguely they seemed to hear the sound of weeping.

Liu Qingqing could not help shivering. She said, “Are we going to watch her die just like that?”

Lowering his voice, Old Sabre Honcho said, “I was just waiting for you two, perhaps you could save her.”

“You want us to sneak up there?” Liu Qingqing asked.

“The two of you have the highest qinggong,” Old Sabre Honcho said, “When the wind is strongest, go up there, Ah Xue will never find out.”

“And then what?” Liu Qingqing asked.

Old Sabre Honcho said, “Cousin go around to the back first, break through the wall and charge inside, I will be waiting outside the front door. When she sees Cousin, even if she won’t fight, she will definitely argue for a bit, you then rush in and hold her.”

Liu Qingqing hesitated, “That doesn’t sound like a good plan,” she mumbled.

Old Sabre Honcho coldly said, “Can you think of a better way?”

Liu Qingqing could not, hence she went up.

Her qinggong was indeed not bad, Cousin was not necessarily inferior to her either. In fact, the two of them could be considered top-notch experts. Five, six zhang-high cliff, they were able to climb easily.

The log cabin was still dark and deathly quiet; Ye Xue indeed did not detect their action.

Liu Qingqing quietly made a hand signal, Cousin immediately winded around to the back, and then there was a loud ‘bang!’

It was a wooden structure made of flammable material, to break into it was not difficult at all.

But that loud ‘bang’ was immediately followed by a miserable scream. In this midnight cold wind, the scream sounded extremely mournful.

There seemed to be a faint sword flash in the dark as well, and then somebody fell down from the cliff, and landed heavily on the ground; half of his body was drenched with blood. It was none other than Cousin.

And then they heard Ye Xue’s voice carried by the wind, “Widow Hua, if you are not leaving, I will have you accompany me in death.” Her voice was shrill and impatient.

“Tell Old Sabre Honcho, if he does not want more people getting hurt, it would be best if he does not send anybody up anymore. In any case, I will not walk out of here alive.”

There was no need for Liu Qingqing to pass on the message, everybody has heard what she said; they heard every word clearly.

With both hands clenched into fists, Old Sabre Honcho’s gaze looked as sharp as blade, as he stared at Cousin from beneath the bamboo rain hat and said in stern voice, “You are [Taoist] Priest Gu of Mount Ba’s disciple, you have always thought that your martial art skill is not bad, why are you this useless?”

Cousin’s hand was pressing onto the wound on his shoulder, blood was still pouring from his fingers, while the cold sweats on his forehead were as big as soya beans. This sword wound was undoubtedly very serious.

It took a long time before he was finally able to speak, “She seemed to be ready for me. As soon as I broke in, her sword was waiting for me right there.”

Old Sabre Honcho suddenly threw his head back and heaved a deep sigh, “I have told you that she is better than all of you. Wandering Soul is dead, General is seriously hurt, I lost two experts already. If I also lose her …” He stomped his foot, the rock underneath his foot immediately shattered into small pieces.

Right this moment, suddenly a voice coming from the darkness, “Maybe I still have a way to save her.”

The newcomer was Dugu Mei.

“You have a way?” Old Sabre Honcho asked, “What way?”

Dugu Mei chuckled and said, “Too bad I don’t recognize my own family [see Junny’s note in Chapter 2]; naturally I won’t try to save anybody with no cause, no reason.”

His laughter was so despicable, so crafty.

Old Sabre Honcho stared at him for a very long time before asking, “What’s your condition?”

“My condition is very simple,” Dugu Mei replied, “I want a wife.”

“Whom do you want?” Old Sabre Honcho asked.

Dugu Mei said, “The Ye sisters, Widow Hua, I don’t care.”

“As long as you promise that it will be effective,” Old Sabre Honcho said.

“And if it is effective, I agree,” Old Sabre Honcho said.

Dugu Mei laughed again. “My method is very simple,” he said, “Tie Lu Xiaofeng up and bring him up there. I can testify that he is the real killer who murdered Ye Guhong, because I was there at that time. When Miss Ye hears me, she would definitely rush forward to avenge her brother. After she personally kills Lu Xiaofeng, naturally she won’t think about killing herself.”

Old Sabre Honcho was listening quietly. He suddenly asked, “Wasn’t it you who brought Lu Xiaofeng here?”

Dugu Mei laughed. “That was one of the times when occasionally I did not guard against finding my conscience; nothing more. The number of times I have conscience is really not many.”

Old Sabre Honcho was deep in thought for a long time. Finally he nodded slowly and said, “Your method indeed sounds not so bad.”

He had just finished talking when he suddenly made his move; a light slap sent Dugu Mei splaying on the ground like a pile of mud.

Dugu Mei shouted, “Since my method is not so bad, why did you hit me?”

Old Sabre Honcho coldly said, “The method is not bad, the person is.”

The second time he made his move, Dugu Mei was unable to shout anymore. His hand was not only too fast, it was not too heavy, but was absolutely accurate and effective.

Lu Xiaofeng was still standing on a distance, Old Sabre Honcho suddenly came over and patted his shoulder, “Come with me!” he said.
    Last edited by foxs; 03-28-14 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks!
    Am following the story closely as it gets more interesting ...

Thanks, foxs.

This sword would was undoubtedly very serious. Typing error: wound?

Thanks foxs. (Yeah it would be nice if Hoju returns to translate again).

Thanks thanks! Good story development!

Thanks foxs

Thanks foxs

thanks again foxs!

Thanks foxs for another update.

Default Chapter 10 - Part 3

Sorry folks, I have been really busy lately, I'll start a new job Monday, hence I have been scrambling to tie loose ends at my old job. ycb, Jaya, Justin, Anh, HPC, Clown, Ysabel, you are welcome. DongBin, thanks, I'll fix it.

The depression behind the mountain was even darker, Old Sabre Honcho took Lu Xiaofeng to the darkest part before stopping and turning around to face him. He said slowly, “Dugu Mei’s method is indeed very effective, why didn’t I use it?”

“Because you knew I am not the real killer,” Lu Xiaofeng replied.

“Wrong,” Old Sabre Honcho said.

“Because you need me as well?” Lu Xiaofeng guessed.

“Correct,” Old Sabre Honcho replied.

They both knew that they need not lie in front of the other, because they both were men who would not be easily deceived by others. This mutual understanding has elevated the relationship between them to almost close friendship.

“I am already old,” Old Sabre Honcho began, “I know when an opportunity is lost, it will never come back; therefore …”

Lu Xiaofeng completed the sentence for him, “Therefore you need me, because your opportunity will come very soon!”

Old Sabre Honcho looked straight at him; he slowly said, “I also need Ye Xue. Because the thing I am about to do is a big thing, and all of you are parts of my plan that I cannot afford to lose.”

“You want me to save her?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

Old Sabre Honcho nodded slowly and said, “If there is one person in the world who can keep her alive, that person would be you.”

“Very well,” Lu Xiaofeng said, “I’ll go. But I also have one condition.”

“Speak,” Old Sabre Honcho said.

Lu Xiaofeng said, “I want you to give me twenty-four sichen [1 sichen equals to 2 hours]. During this period, no matter what I do, you must not interfere.”

Old Sabre Honcho said, “I know that you always like to do things your own way.”

Lu Xiaofeng said, “Starting now, I don’t want anybody to see where I am or where I am going. As long as you promise, after two days, I will definitely bring her back to see you.”

“Alive?” Old Sabre Honcho asked.

“I guarantee,” Lu Xiaofeng said.

Old Sabre Honcho did not even blink, “I promise.”

Everybody else has left, the sky above the cliff was eerily dark, the death-grey wooden cabin stood alone on the cliff like a lonely ghost.

Facing the wind, Lu Xiaofeng went over to the peak. The mountain breeze was moist and cold. Why was this ghost place always foggy?

Before he got too close to the log cabin, Ye Xue’s moist and cold voice has already greeted him from the inside, “Who’s there?”

“You should know who I am,” Lu Xiaofeng said, “I can’t see you, but I am sure you can see me.”

After a very long silence, the answer was only one word, “Get lost!” [Ok, two words, but the Chinese is only one, 滚 – lit. roll.]

“You don’t want to see me?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

The answer was still one word, “Get lost!”

“If you don’t want to see me, why all along you were waiting for me?” Lu Xiaofeng said.

Another silence in the log cabin.

Lu Xiaofeng continued, “You knew that sooner or later I would come here, that’s the reason you are not dead yet.”

He spoke very slowly, yet he walked very fast. Very soon he had already reached the door of the log cabin. “Hence I am going to push the door open and come in. I guarantee that this time there is no second person around.” And then he pushed the door open.

Inside the log cabin, it was even darker and gloomier; but he could see a pair of shining eyes, the eyes carried some kind of indescribable emotion. Was it sorrow? Was it heartache? Or was it hatred?

Lu Xiaofeng stopped some distance away, “Don’t you have anything to say to me?” he asked.

The weeping has long stopped, but the eyes were still wet.

Lu Xiaofeng said, “Actually, even if you don’t tell me, I know. You did all these things, it was not entirely because of me. It’s just that you have never had something that you wanted taken away from you before.”

Another cold ray flashed in the dark, just like the flash of a sword blade.

Was she trying to kill Lu Xiaofeng? Or was she trying to die in Lu Xiaofeng’s presence?

The palm of Lu Xiaofeng’s hands was already wet with cold sweats. This was the most critical juncture. If he committed the smallest error, at least one of them would definitely die in here.

He must not do one wrong thing, and he must not say one wrong word.

Ye Xue’s voice suddenly echoed in the dark, “I am doing this, because there is no one in the world worth living.”

“There is one,” Lu Xiaofeng said, “At least there is one.”

Naturally Ye Xue could not help asking, “Who?”

“Your father,” Lu Xiaofeng replied.

He did not let Ye Xue open her mouth; he continued quickly, “Your father is not dead, I saw him last night.”

Ye Xue suddenly laughed coldly, “Give me one good reason why I should believe your nonsense,” she said.

“This is not nonsense,” Lu Xiaofeng said, “I can take you to see him right now.”

Ye Xue was hesitant, “You really can find him?” she asked.

Lu Xiaofeng said, “If within twelve sichen we can’t find him, I’ll take you back here and let you die in peace and quiet.”

Finally Ye Xue was convinced, “Very well,” she said, “I believe you this time.”

Lu Xiaofeng let out a relieved breath. “You won’t regret it,” he said.

Suddenly, there was a cold flash, the sword’s blade was already pressed on Lu Xiaofeng’s eyelashes, Ye Xue’s voice was even colder than the sword’s blade, “This time you deceive me again, we will die together!”

Dark valley, secluded and secret forest, but to Lu Xiaofeng, the place was not unfamiliar. Just like the woman by his side; although sometimes she was terrifying, other times Lu Xiaofeng could not deny the irresistible attraction he felt toward her.

This time he did not get lost. When he returned from this place, he was already prepared that he would be back here.

Ye Xue walked beside him silently, her face was still pale, her eyes cold; apparently she was determined to keep her distance from him.

But in such a deep and dark secret forest on the mountain, anything could change.

They have traveled for a very long time, the breeze was beginning to bring the smell of swamp in it. Lu Xiaofeng suddenly came to a halt; turning to face her, he said, “I saw him around here yesterday.”

“Where is he now?” Ye Xue asked.

“I don’t know,” Lu Xiaofeng replied.

Ye Xue’s hands tightened.

Lu Xiaofeng said, “All I know is that he is in the swamp ahead, but we have to wait until dawn to look for him.”

He sat down and said, “Let’s wait here.”

Ye Xue looked at him with cold eyes, she said in cold voice, “I told you, if you lie to me again this time …”

Lu Xiaofeng cut her off, “I have never lied to you. Perhaps it was precisely because I never lied to you that you hate me.”

Ye Xue looked away from him, her cold and beautiful eyes suddenly showed weariness.

She was indeed very tired, physically and mentally, yet she adamantly refused to sit down, she forced herself to stay awake.

But Lu Xiaofeng lay down on the soft leaves and closed his eyes.

After he closed his eyes, Ye Xue turned her gaze toward him. Quite some time later, her lips began to tremble, and then her entire body shook, as if she suddenly remembered something dreadful.

She bit her lip, hard, and struggled to control herself, but this place was really too quiet, the kind of quietness that can drive people crazy, and the thing that she remembered happened to be something that no woman can endure.

Suddenly she rushed toward Lu Xiaofeng and kicked him on the ribs, while hissing, “I hate you, I hate you.”

Lu Xiaofeng opened his eyes in surprised.

Gasping for breath, Ye Xue said, “You must be here with my sister last night, and today you brought me here. You … you …”

Her voice cracked, her eyes were fiery with madness, all of a sudden she pounced to clutch Lu Xiaofeng’s throat.

Lu Xiaofeng caught her hand. She pressed down hard, he had to resist even harder. The two of them rolled around on the soft leaves, fighting each other. Suddenly Lu Xiaofeng found himself on top of her.

Her breathing was intense, but her body was softer than the dead leaves; she had exhausted all her strength.

Then suddenly she quieted down. She had given up all her will to struggle and to resist. When she opened her eyes to look at Lu Xiaofeng, her eyes were full of tears.

The heaven and the earth were so quiet, so dark; the distance between them was so close. Lu Xiaofeng’s heart suddenly softened like the fruit inside a honey candy. In this instant, all pain, suffering and hatred were forgotten.

Grateful for updating despite your schedule. Thks foxs.

Thanks. Missed LXF a bit lately