Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Lu Xiaofeng Book 5: Mansion of Spirits

Thanks foxs for another update.

Thanks foxs

Thanks fox
    I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining about Junny. He is a good translator. It is just because Drowsy Palm said something about agonizing wait times.

Quote Originally Posted by Anh Nam View Post
    Thanks fox
    I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining about Junny. He is a good translator. It is just because Drowsy Palm said something about agonizing wait times.
    Hi Anh Nam, me too! lol... i was reading drowsy's post and i also made a similar comment abt hwow we used o wait very long for big threads such as ASITP and this one,... lol....

Re: Rephrase sentence. Foxs, I did not do anything as it was not a big deal. Readers like Clown Prince did not mind the awkward sentences. Anyway in the interest of exchange of ideas here's a suggestion (and not necessary a better one):

刚才无豹乍一出手,就令人骨折命毙,可见他心中的怨毒已积了多深。

Just now Wu Bao suddenly made his move, and in that instant, someone had his bones broken and he died a violent death; it was clear that the hatred and malicious intent in his heart ran deep, very, very deep.

BTW, Operation Thunder was listed as Chapter 12 in some sources. Noticed this while searching the chinese txt above.

Thks for the updates.

Default Chapter 12 - Part 1

szfong, Jaya, Ysabel, HPC, you are welcome. Clown, you won't have too much trouble being the first here. Let me tell you a secret: I usually post between 5 - 6am my time, which is 8 - 9pm if you are in Singapore (mind you, this is summer time, winter will be 1 hour later). If I don't post by 6am, that means I won't post that day. ycb, here's the original text: 烂醉如泥. Anh, I understand, I did not mean that you were blaming or resenting anybody. DongBin, thanks, I'll probably revisit that later. About the title, Ren Wo Xing also asking the same thing during Book 6 project. Seems like there are multiple versions on the internet. Here is my source: http://www.xiexingcun.com/Gulong/ I don't remember who gave it to me, it might be you.

Chapter 12 – Panic in the Haunted Mansion
    (Translated by Foxs)

The fifth of fourth month. Clear.

Lu Xiaofeng was facing a very clear bronze mirror with a smile on his face.

Seeing the reflection in the mirror was not his own, although it was kind of strange, it was very interesting.

Naturally the old man in the mirror was not as handsome as his original face, yet it was a dignified and lordly old man, not at all like a lecherous, alcoholic old man whose one of his feet had already stepped into the coffin.

This minor point has no doubt made him very happy. His only regret was that he could not wash his face.

Therefore, all he could do was just perfunctorily wiping his face with a dry cloth and joyfully rinse his mouth with water, before finally turned around to look at the old granny on the bed.

He shook his head and sigh, “Canine Master really should make you a bit younger,” he said, “Now it simply looks like you are my mother.”

Liu Qingqing gnashed her teeth and hatefully said, “For you, you don’t care what other people turn you into, you can always admire and enjoy yourself.”

Lu Xiaofeng laughed; a big hearty laugh.

At that moment, the obedient dog walked in, wagging its tail, followed by the filial son who came to kowtow and pay his respect.

Lu Xiaofeng was even more cheerful; he said with a laugh, “You are all very good today, I’ll take you to ‘San Liu Jiu’ [lit. 369] to eat ham, dried bean curd and some steamed meat buns.”

San Liu Jiu’s steamed meat buns were dainty and delicate, one bamboo basket contained twenty buns, each bun was bite-size. Eating three or five baskets could not be considered too much.

Even Old Master Lu’s dog ate three baskets; but his housekeeper and housemaid could only stand in the back, waiting.

Becoming high-ranking officials in the Capital, these Big Masters always followed a bit stricter protocol compared to other people.

The restaurant waiter was standing on the side, watching; he shook his head and then using a half-baked Suzhou’s ‘officialese’ accent he tried to strike a conversation, “Looks like becoming a dog in Da Laoye’s [big old master] home is luckier than most people.”

Lu Xiaofeng was picking his teeth using the silver toothpick that he brought along, he made loud clicking noise with his tongue. Suddenly he said, “Since you like the dog, why don’t you take it out for a walk, let it do its business. When you are back, Laoye [master] will give you a reward.”

The waiter hesitated. He looked at the housekeeper and housemaid, “Aren’t these master housekeepers not coming?”

“He does not like the dog,” Lu Xiaofeng replied, “Hence the dog likes to bite him.”

The waiter was scared, “Does this master dog like to bite other people?”

Lu Xiaofeng snorted, “Even if others want it to bite them, it may not necessarily be eager to open its mouth.”

Old Master’s wife also offered her opinion, “Although this dog of ours does not bite people, it does not like to gnaw on bones either; it only loves to eat a bit of sh1t. You can at most let it lick a little bit, but you must never let it eat it, otherwise it will have an upset stomach.”

The waiter could only force a laugh while pulling the dog’s leather leash, and gently and cautiously took this ‘master dog’ out for a walk.

The housekeeper looked at the housemaid, the housemaid looked at the filial son, the filial son looked at the Old Madame, the Old Madame smiled and said, “Don’t you worry, your Old Man’s dog is a precious, obedient dog, it won’t run away. Besides, even if it wants to run away, it cannot.”

“Why?” the filial son could not help asking.

“Because you are going out with him,” the Old Madame said, “When it goes poo, you are going to wait on the side.”

Cousin was indeed very obedient. He simply stood up and left.

Lu Xiaofeng laughed. “Looks like our son is indeed a filial son,” he said with a smile.

Lu Xiaofeng had a shortcoming: every day after breakfast, he seemed to have to go to the bathroom. He drank too much wine, hence his stomach was not too well.

Although the Old Madame was a jumbo-size vinegar jar [see Chapter 11], and she could watch other people like a hawk, but when the Old Master was going to the bathroom, she could not stare at him.

But if a dog wanted to watch someone, it did not have too much of a scruple. It doesn’t matter if you are going to the bathroom or not, the dog can always follow you.

Therefore, every time Lu Xiaofeng wanted to go to the bathroom, Canine Master would follow him while wagging his tail.

Today was no exception.

As soon as Lu Xiaofeng squatted down, Canine Master immediately said in low voice, “That waiter is definitely not a real waiter.”

There was no response. Practically Lu Xiaofeng was ignoring him.

Canine Master continued, “His qinggong must be very high, I can hear it from his steps.”

Still no response.

Just like most people, when he was going to the bathroom, Lu Xiaofeng liked to concentrate, he liked to focus his attention on the task at hands.

Canine Master continued, “Moreover, I can tell than he is an expert in disguise, so much so that his skill is higher than mine.”

Lu Xiaofeng suddenly said, “Do you know what you are? You are a demon.”

Canine Master was startled, “A demon?”

“A dog who can speak human language, what is it if not a demon?” Lu Xiaofeng said.

“But …” Canine Master started.

But Lu Xiaofeng did not let him continue, “Do you know how people deal with a demon?” he asked.

Canine Master shook his head.

Lu Xiaofeng coldly said, “If not burn you to death, then they will beat you to death.”

Canine Master did not dare to utter even a single word; he obediently left with his tail between his legs.

Finally Lu Xiaofeng was able to enjoy a moment of peace. To him, if a man can enjoy a moment of peace, even if that means he had to sit on a chamber pot, then it was already a pleasure in life. Not only that, it was a pleasure that was hard to come by, because he suddenly had a wife who watched over him constantly.

When he went out, he discovered that Liu Qingqing was already outside, waiting for him; worse yet, it seemed like she had been waiting for a long time, because there was a big pile of fava bean shells on the floor.

Lu Xiaofeng could not resist asking, “You love to see a man going to the bathroom? Or you love to smell the stench in here?”

Liu Qingqing said, “I was just a little suspicious, that’s all.”

“Suspicious about what?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

“Suspicious that you did not really go to the bathroom, but was simply trying to avoid me, while whispering sweet nothings with your dog friend,” Liu Qingqing replied.

“Hence you sat out here to listen if I am really going to the bathroom,” Lu Xiaofeng said.

Liu Qingqing laughed. “Now I know,” she said, “That kind of noise is really not pleasant to the ears.”

Lu Xiaofeng sighed. With a strained smile he said, “Fortunately he is a male dog; if he were a female dog, what would happen then?”

Liu Qingqing flatly said, “If he were a female dog, he would have been dead by now.”

The sixth day of the fourth month, cloudy, but no rain.

An entry in Housekeeper’s journal: “Light breakfast at the Kui Yuan Guan of the eastern city. During the meal, there was someone else who took the dog for a walk; from start to finish it took about half a sichen [i.e. about an hour, 1 sichen is 2 hours].”

“The waiter who took the dog for a walk is surnamed Wang, locally born and bred here, has been a waiter for fourteen years, has a wife, a son and a daughter.”

“This man has been investigated, but no suspicion is found on him.”

Naturally this journal would be handed over to Old Sabre Honcho later. But Hai Qikuo had an objection, “Can’t do, you must not write it like that.”

“Why not?” Housekeeper asked.

Hai Qikuo said, “We shouldn’t have taken this dog along, we shouldn’t have let him get someone else to walk the dog even more; when Old Sabre Honcho read this, he will think there are problems.”

“What do you think we should do?” Housekeeper asked.

With a cold laugh Hai Qikuo said, “If the dog is a dead dog, it will be like the (grain) rice has been cooked into (cooked) rice; what can he do to me?”

Housekeeper exhaled and said, “I just don’t know how long will it be before the living dog turns into a dead dog.”

“Soon,” Hai Qikuo said.

“Are you going to take the dog out for a walk tomorrow?” Housekeeper asked.

Hai Qikuo sighed and said, “It looks like this is the first time in my life I have to do such thing.”

“Won’t it be the last as well?” Housekeeper asked.

“That’s right,” Hai Qikuo said, “Absolutely correct.”

The seventh day of the fourth month, clear.

Hai Qikuo had already taken the dog out very far, as if he had no intention of coming back.

Cousin was following behind, he couldn’t help asking, “Since when do you like walking like this?”

“Just now,” Hai Qikuo replied.

“And where are you heading now?” Cousin asked.
    Last edited by foxs; 04-20-14 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks foxs

Thanks, foxs.

Thanks a million!

edit: minor error
    Don’t you worry, you Old Man’s dog is a precious, obedient dog, it won’t run away. Besides, even if it wants to run away, it cannot.”

Should be "your"

Author really exaggerate: human disguised as a dog, and no one knows it's not a dog...
    Last edited by ycb5959; 04-18-14 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks foxs

Default Chapter 12 - Part 2

HPC, Jaya, Anh, you are welcome. ycb, thanks, I fixed it. Just a friendly reminder to you: it's a fiction ...

“Outside the city wall,” Hai Qikuo replied.

“What are you doing outside the city wall?” Cousin asked.

Hai Qikuo replied, “Although a dead dog on the street is a very common thing, but if suddenly a man appeared from inside the dog’s skin, it will be a different thing altogether.”

Cousin agreed, “Of course something like this must not be seen by anybody else.”

“Hence we are going out of the city wall,” Hai Qikuo said.

He held on the dog’s leash tightly; Cousin also held on to the sword hilt under his clothes. Not only this dog understood human language, he was also a secret projectile expert. If the dog did not die under human hands, but the human died under the dog’s hands, it would really be a joke.

Who would have thought that the dog did not show any reaction at all?

“Do you know what kid of trick this dog has in his belly?” Cousin asked.

“I only know that there seems to be no one else around here,” Hai Qikuo replied.

“Not even half a shadow,” Cousin agreed.

Hai Qikuo suddenly stopped. Looking at the dog, he sighed and said, “Quan Xiong, Quan Xiong [lit. ‘brother dog’], we have eaten together, we have drunk together; in short, we are friends. If you have any last wish, there is no harm in telling us. As long as we can do it, we will surely do it for you.”

The dog wagged its tail. “Woof, woof!” it barked.

“Even if you wag your tail, it’s useless, we still have to kill you,” Hai Qikuo said.

Cousin added, “But we can guarantee that we won’t sell you to the dog meat shop.”

Hai Qikuo sighed again. His vinegar-bowl size fist struck down. As soon as the fist hit the dog’s head, a sound of breaking bones was heard.

The dog howled, unexpectedly it was still able to stand. Cousin’s sword quickly pierced its neck.

Blood splashed, Hai Qikuo leaped high to evade; by the time he landed on the ground, the living dog has turned into a dead dog.

Hai Qikuo heaved a sigh; he said with a laugh, “Apparently killing dog is much easier than killing people.”

But Cousin’s countenance sank; suddenly he said with a cold laugh, “I am afraid we really kill a dog.”

Hai Qikuo was stunned; immediately he stooped down, trying to peel the dog’s skin to take a look.

Inside the dog’s skin, it was still a dog; this dog was not Canine Master.

Hai Qikuo’s countenance changed. “I clearly saw it,” he said.

“Saw what?” Cousin asked.

“I saw Canine Master got into a dog skin like this, and became a dog like this,” Hai Qikuo replied.

“There are many kinds of dogs,” Cousin coldly said, “Dogs of the same breed look more or less alike.”

“Where is Canine Master then?” Hai Qikuo asked, “Where did this dog come from?”

“Why don’t you go ask Lu Xiaofeng?” Cousin said.

Unexpectedly there was someone waiting outside the lavatory. Lu Xiaofeng has just reached the door, he has not even tied his belt yet, and he had already seen Hai Qikuo.

Hai Qikuo’s appearance was like someone who could not hold on anymore, perhaps a piece of sh1t was already falling into the crouch of his pants.

Lu Xiaofeng sighed and mumbled to himself, “Why is it that each time I go poo there is someone waiting in line outside? Could it be that everybody ate the wrong medicine and are having diarrhea?”

Hai Qikuo clenched his teeth and said hatefully, “I did not take the wrong medicine, just killed the wrong person.”

Lu Xiaofeng appeared shocked. “Whom did you kill?” he asked.

“I killed a dog,” Hai Qikuo said.

“Wait, did you kill a person? Or a dog?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

Hai Qikuo replied, “The dog I killed was supposed to be a person; who would have thought that it was a real dog? There was nobody inside the dog skin.”

Lu Xiaofeng sighed. He said, “Dog is dog, inside the dog skin there is naturally dog meat, dog bones; naturally, there is no person!”

He sighed again while patting Hai Qikuo’s shoulder, “You must be too tired lately. If you don’t take a good rest, you might really go crazy.”

Hai Qikuo looked like he really was going to go crazy from rage. “Where is Canine Master?” he suddenly roared.

Lu Xiaofeng was indifferent. “He is not my son, nor is he my housekeeper; how do I know where he is?”

“But the one insisted to bring him down the mountain was you,” Hai Qikuo said.

“I just wanted to bring a dog down the mountain,” Lu Xiaofeng said, “I never said I wanted to bring Canine Master.”

He patted Hai Qikuo’s shoulder again and said with a laugh, “Now, although you killed my dog, I don’t want you to pay it with your life at all. No matter what, a good housekeeper is a lot more useful than a dog. Besides, I can’t bear to have Housemaid become a widow.”

Hai Qikuo was so angry that he could not say anything.

Finally Lu Xiaofeng was able to tie his belt. He started to walk away leisurely, but after only a few steps he looked back and said with a laugh, “You must report this matter to Old Sabre Honcho, I am sure he will find it very interesting. Maybe he will reward you heavily with something.”

There was a hint of malicious intention in his laughter, “Can you think of what he is going to reward you?”

Hai Qikuo could. No matter what it was, it would be something very, very heavy. Could it be a very heavy punch? Or perhaps a very heavy chop?

Hai Qikuo suddenly laughed aloud. “I finally got it,” he said.

“You got what?” Lu Xiaofeng asked.

Hai Qikuo said, “Since the one I killed was a dog, the one died was also a dog. It doesn’t matter what kind of dog, in the end it is a dead dog now.”

He winked, and then said with a smile, “Even dead people are all the same, much less dogs?”

Lu Xiaofeng also laughed heartily, “Looks like this fellow really gets it,” he said.

The eighth day of the fourth month. It was cloudy with occasional shower.

The entry in Housekeeper’s journal was very succinct, “Traveled four hundred li [1 li is approx. 1/2km], the dog died suddenly.”

The ninth of the fourth month. Overcast.

No rain, only dark clouds. Thick layers of cloud hung low overhead, the sky turned dark fairly early.

“How did we get here?”

“Because the driver was afraid of getting into the lodging too late, so he took a shortcut.”

“This is a shortcut?”

“Should have been. But now …” Housekeeper sighed, and then with a bitter smile he continued, “Now it looks like we are lost.”

It was dinnertime. They should have been eating, they should have been washing their face, rinsing their mouth, putting on clean clothes, and sitting under the bright light of the inn, eating some snacks and cold plate.

Yet the fact was that they have lost and were in an unfamilar place.

“I am hungry, hungry as hell.” Liu Qingqing was clearly not a woman who was accustomed to hardship. “I must eat something, my stomach does not feel well.”

“If you really want to eat something, just eat some grass like a sheep.”

Liu Qingqing frowned, “Isn’t there anything to eat in the carriage?”

“Not only there is nothing to eat, we don’t even have anything to drink.”

“So what do we do?”

“Only one thing.”

“What is it?”

“Go hungry.”

Liu Qingqing suddenly pushed the door open and jumped down the carriage, “I don’t believe there is nothing else we could do; I am going looking.”

“What are you looking for?”

“No matter what kind of place this is, there must be people around, there must be a house nearby.” Liu Qingqing sounded very sure, but in her heart she was actually not sure at all.

But she was willing to look.

Because she could not endure hardship, she could not go hungry.

It doesn’t matter what you are looking for, only those who are willing to look will find it.

There are a lot of things like this in the world – the first person to invent a vehicle must be someone who was disinclined to walk. Exactly because people did not want to endure hardships that humanity has made some progress.

She was willing to look, hence she found it.

Just beyond the col down the hill, unexpectedly there was really a house. A very big house.

In fact, no matter where you are, it would be difficult to find such a big house like this.

In the dark, the slopes of the roof looked like layers upon layers of dark cloud being piled up together. The main gate was expansive, so wide that at least six horses could enter in side-by-side.

But the vermillion paint on the door was peeling off, and the door was shut. The strangest thing was, such a big house, but there was no light in sight.

It is often said that sometimes a haunted house will appear in an uninhabited wilderness. Could it be that this place is a haunted house?

Thanks for another exciting update, can't wait to see what happens next...

Thanks buddy! Poor Dog!

Thanks foxs

Thanks!!!!

Canine Master could have deformed legs or hands that enabled him to walk like a dog? Thks foxs.

thanks foxs!

Thanks foxs, just back from a few days away. Catching up ....

Thanks foxs

Thanks, foxs.