Thread: Would SPW be a better novel if ....

Default Would SPW be a better novel if ....

As good a novel as The Smiling, Proud Wanderer was, do you think it would've been a much better novel if it had more story on people like Feng Qingyang and Dongfang Bubai? After all they were THE MOST powerful martial artists in the novel. Just imagine a fight sequence between these two great martial artists. It might've been awesome. But instead they had the least amount of story in the novel.

Jin Yong keeps creating these god-like characters like Huang Shang, Dugu Qiubai, Sweeper Monk, Feng Qingyang, Dongfang Bubai, etc and gives very little background and story on them. I wish he wrote more on them and I feel like his stories would be better.

I like SOD the way it is, the focus was on LHC.

The ideals are that power corrupts.

A story that focussed on ppl with ever more power would dilutes the impact of the story.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

I suppose Jin Yong feels it's more interesting to read/write about a young hero's personal growth, to say nothing of the young ladies he meets along the way. As for the powerful pugilists, their scant appearance often contributes to their aura of grandeur. (Or so it seems)

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    I like SOD the way it is, the focus was on LHC.

The ideals are that power corrupts.

A story that focussed on ppl with ever more power would dilutes the impact of the story.

Han Solo
    I liked SoD/SPW as well and I never said or implied in any way that the focus should not have been on LHC. I just would've loved to see more screen time or story time to some characters like Dongfang Bubai and Feng Qingyang. A fight sequence between these two IMHO would've been mind-blowing.

FCH and DFBB would definitely be interesting, but it would take away from the main focus of the story.

The more you know about a mysterious character, the more appeal he loses.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Especially, as IcyFox said once, demystifying/detailing how Dongfang lost his "thing"
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post

Han Solo

I agree, when Tian Long Ba Bu first came to my attention, I got extremely confused with who was who (probably partially due to my poor chinese). There were just too many people who popped up and it overloaded me

Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Bob View Post
    I agree, when Tian Long Ba Bu first came to my attention, I got extremely confused with who was who (probably partially due to my poor chinese). There were just too many people who popped up and it overloaded me
    I found the Duan Zhengchun character extremely annoying in Tian Long Ba Bu. Every girl in the story turned out to be either his lover or daughter. LOL.

Yes I agree that the more you know about a mysterious character, there are stronger changes of losing the characters appeal.

FCH and DFBB would take away from the main focus of the story.
    I disagree with this statement. I dont think giving DFBB and FCH a little more storyline and fight scenes would've taken the focus away from the story.

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    Yes I agree that the more you know about a mysterious character, there are stronger changes of losing the characters appeal.

I disagree with this statement. I dont think giving DFBB and FCH a little more storyline and fight scenes would've taken the focus away from the story.
    FCY only appeared briefly and at the start and alluded to in the end of the story. FCY's connection in the story is exclusively to the progression of LHC and a little to provide background detail on Hua Shan. Anything more I think would be hard to fit into the flow of the story.

DFBB. Really, I don't know what there is much else to say about him. He was a nobody who happend to be second in command. Then he got crazy imbalanced martial arts, then he ruled surpreme then entered seclusion to entertain his fetishes. What is there to expand on?

If FCY and DFBB fought it would make redundant the team effort that lead to DFBB's death, and a fight between FCY and DFBB would have massive consequences in the story.