Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [New] Meteor, Butterfly, Sword 2010

is this show only 30 episodes? seems rather short and alot seems to be left out.

But the for what it's worth the story is purely driven by suspense and great acting. Ending seems really happy. Although I'd imagine there was more going on with the king of thousand roc, but oh well.

I have a different opinion about the acting, I think it's rather poor. I realized that the main characters are killers and they should be "cold" and ruthless. But the leads are more stiff like a wood, they don't look that harmless...I don't see chemistry or see the love between the male lead and female lead....too much talking...the fightings scenes make me dizzy.

Hi everyone!

I want to watch either this 2010 version or Adam Cheng's version in 2003. For those who have watched both versions, which one do you guys recommend I watch? How would you rate the story, characters, acting, etc. for the two?

Thanks!
    "Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it." - E.B. White

Quote Originally Posted by Shibao View Post
    I have a different opinion about the acting, I think it's rather poor. I realized that the main characters are killers and they should be "cold" and ruthless. But the leads are more stiff like a wood, they don't look that harmless...I don't see chemistry or see the love between the male lead and female lead....too much talking...the fightings scenes make me dizzy.
    I think the majority of the cast has ok acting cos they aren't given the chance to express themselves. Xie Die is such a ditzy crybaby so really nothing much for Ivy to portray. The killers look like schoolboys and pose all the times. I think Baron Chen did a really bad job. He is always blank-faced when he looked at his enemies, but he has a cool stare. Basically, all the girls very pretentive and boring expect for Rebecca. Hated the girl who played Feng Feng - wanted to slap her.

The fight scenes look blurred and lazy. Half the time, can;t make out who fought who. Only good fight was the end fight between Victor and Baron, lots of physical interaction and showed agility from both actors.

But for Rebecca, she has a lot of added scenes for her to express the complexities of Gao Da Jie/Gao Lao Da and i think she did great. She was sexy, outspoken, controlling and showed her inside loneliness very well.

Another actor I thought did well was Victor. He had plenty of added scenes as well and it added more depth and inner turmoil to his role than in the novel. I think he overacted heaps in the beginning but he shone in the last 10 eps.

I am very disappointed with Anthony Lau Wing's Ten Thousand Roc King. He was supposed to be a worthy nemesis of Sun Yu Bo but he had nothing to do but glare, chuck a spas and be angry. He wasn't intelligent, cool or even charasmatic. Which is crap since I watched it partly to see Anthony on TV again. I hate the Sun Yu Bo glorification in the story. Yes he is cool and smart, but he's not the greatest guy on earth and the rest of the world are stupid idiots. It's like he can predict every single one's thoughts and actions. Thought Liu De Kai was wooden as well (though commanding), which is crap since he usually is very expressive.

Overall, good beginning and ending, but hated the middle which was draggy and sobbing and slow. Hated the 10+ eps they devoted to arguing about who the father of the kid was when it was mentioned many eps ago. It was no mystery about the tragic past of Lu Xiang Chuan when it was repeated over and over agian for 28 eps and yet they try to be suspenseful when they reveal the truth in ep 29. Hated how they showed who was the villian in the beginning when it was gradually revealed in the novel towards the end in a big surprise (I was actually rooting for the villian when I found out and was like "Huh?")

I do like the humanisation of Lu Xiang Chuan and Gao Da Jie, but it's not worth minimising the development of other characters. I mean, was Meng Xing Hun even the lead? He was boring though cute. By the end it looked like Iwas watching "The Tragic Life of Lu xiang Chuan" Rather than "Meteor, Butterfly & Sword". It's not a bad series but can be frustrating to wach due to the plot deviations. The cast is very good-looking but costumes are bad.

I watched a bit of the 2003 version and it had the same problem. Good beginning, good ending but sleep-inducing middle episodes with all the amnesia and crying. Had the Sun Yu Bo glorification problems as well but at least Norman stood his ground as an equal with his Ten Thousand Roc King. The cast did a much better job here than in the 2010 version, but the story kills. Extremely slow pace.

Still, I enjoyed the 2010 version for its advantages. Out of the two, I still will choose 2010 version due to the less slow pace of the story. Really enjoyed Victor's 1st try as a villian and Rebecca's return to TV.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

@charbydis, since you finished the series already, can you please spoil me on the ending? My chinese is horrible so I can't understand 99.9% of what is being said so I don't know if I can stand to watch the series for another 25 episodes or so but I still want to know the ending.

Would really appreciate it! Thanks!
    I don't make my decisions fearing fate, Fate makes his.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    Still, I enjoyed the 2010 version for its advantages. Out of the two, I still will choose 2010 version due to the less slow pace of the story. Really enjoyed Victor's 1st try as a villian and Rebecca's return to TV.
    Thanks for the summary. I'll give this series a go.
    The Truth is out there
    I say we leave it there...

Quote Originally Posted by sesshomaru86 View Post
    @charbydis, since you finished the series already, can you please spoil me on the ending? My chinese is horrible so I can't understand 99.9% of what is being said so I don't know if I can stand to watch the series for another 25 episodes or so but I still want to know the ending.

Would really appreciate it! Thanks!
    How much detail in spoilers do you want?

Roughly with the main spoilers (tell me if you want more detail)
    click to show/hide spoilers

Well, Meng Xing Hun (Baron Chen) gets sent to kill Sun Yu Bo (Liu De Kai) but Xie Die (Ivy Chen) fall in love as expected, so he gives up his assignment and they elopes with the kid.

But Lu Xiang Chuan plots with Gao Lao Da (Rebecca Wang) to have Sun Yu Bo poisoned and but he escapes. Lu Xiang Chuan assumes control of Sun's Place by proxy. Sun Yu Bo hides in a well as he tries to cure the posion and Meng Xing Hun gets involved as it's Xie Die's dad, but is betrayed by Gao Lao Da. Eventually, Gao Lao Da's conscience takes over and she gives up helping Lu Xiang Chuan.

In the end, Sun Yu Bo plays everyone and resumes power. He acknowledges Meng Xing Hun and Xiao Die and the kid. Lu Xiang Chuan loses his martial arts then gets poisoned to death by his wife, who he kills before he dies. Gao Lao Da kills herself out of guilt.

Meng Xing Hun tells Xie Die that the kid is Ye Xiang's and not Lu Xiang Chuan's and she is over the moon. Everyone lives happily ever after.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    How much detail in spoilers do you want?

Roughly with the main spoilers (tell me if you want more detail)

Well, Meng Xing Hun (Baron Chen) gets sent to kill Sun Yu Bo (Liu De Kai) but Xie Die (Ivy Chen) fall in love as expected, so he gives up his assignment and they elopes with the kid.

But Lu Xiang Chuan plots with Gao Lao Da (Rebecca Wang) to have Sun Yu Bo poisoned and but he escapes. Lu Xiang Chuan assumes control of Sun's Place by proxy. Sun Yu Bo hides in a well as he tries to cure the posion and Meng Xing Hun gets involved as it's Xie Die's dad, but is betrayed by Gao Lao Da. Eventually, Gao Lao Da's conscience takes over and she gives up helping Lu Xiang Chuan.

In the end, Sun Yu Bo plays everyone and resumes power. He acknowledges Meng Xing Hun and Xiao Die and the kid. Lu Xiang Chuan loses his martial arts then gets poisoned to death by his wife, who he kills before he dies. Gao Lao Da kills herself out of guilt.

Meng Xing Hun tells Xie Die that the kid is Ye Xiang's and not Lu Xiang Chuan's and she is over the moon. Everyone lives happily ever after.
    wow...hmmm...don't know what to say...but...

So...what happens to Ye Xiang then? Did he just left Meng Xing Hun and Xie Die together? And why did Lu Xiang Chuan wife poisoned him? Gao Lao Da killed herself out of guilt?! That's kind of depressing. Sun Yu Bo got off free? I didn't really like his character from the few episodes that I watched. Did he redeemed himself later or something? LOL, I know I'm asking so many questions. Sorry, but take your time to answer me or you don't even have to answer me at all. But I really appreciates it, thank you!!!

Just completed the series and i agree that the ending was pretty decent and well-paced though
    am slightly skeptical about how amazingly intelligent Sun Yu Bo is and his ungodly abilities to perfectly predict every single step Lu Xiang Chuan, Meng Xing Hun etc were going to take.

I was initially looking forward to Ivy Chen's performance because I like her acting in "Black & White" and "Hear Me/Say" and also thought she looked very pretty in the drama stills but Sun Die is really a mediocre and somewhat bland character though not detestable. Ivy did pretty well for the many crying scenes though i agree that she does seem too cute and bubbly for the role- nothing to do with her acting skills really; more that her overall appearance and aura isn't congruent with a character as tragic and fragile as Sun Die.

Surprisingly, the character which interest me most was Gao Lao Da. Rebbecca Wang is really a fine actress:
    I really enjoyed most of her scenes and her death scene was exceptionally touching imo.

Male characters were quite average and surprisingly, I actually prefer Ye Xiang to Meng Xing Hun whom i find has little charisma. Not sure whether it's because of the actor but i just find him rather unmemorable; losing in presence to both Ye Xiang and Lu Xiang Chuan.

wow...hmmm...don't know what to say...but...

So...what happens to Ye Xiang then? Did he just left Meng Xing Hun and Xie Die together? And why did Lu Xiang Chuan wife poisoned him? Gao Lao Da killed herself out of guilt?! That's kind of depressing. Sun Yu Bo got off free? I didn't really like his character from the few episodes that I watched. Did he redeemed himself later or something? LOL, I know I'm asking so many questions. Sorry, but take your time to answer me or you don't even have to answer me at all. But I really appreciates it, thank you!!!
    Ye Xiang dies in the middle of the series while trying to warn Meng Xing Hun and Sun Yu Bo about Lu Xiang Chuan's uncle's evil plot (actually feel that the cause of his death and the way he died was pretty rushed and haphazard, anyone knows whether he dies in similar fashion in the novel??). Gao Lao Da committed suicide mainly because she felt that she is left with nothing in the end and only wished to join Ye Xiang in death.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow View Post
    Ye Xiang dies in the middle of the series while trying to warn Meng Xing Hun and Sun Yu Bo about Lu Xiang Chuan's uncle's evil plot (actually feel that the cause of his death and the way he died was pretty rushed and haphazard, anyone knows whether he dies in similar fashion in the novel??). Gao Lao Da committed suicide mainly because she felt that she is left with nothing in the end and only wished to join Ye Xiang in death.
    Thanks for the infor!!!

Ye Xiang dies in the middle of the series?! Man...that sucks. I still can't bring myself to like Sun Yu Bo, I really hope he gets better later...

Thanks for the infor!!!

Ye Xiang dies in the middle of the series?! Man...that sucks. I still can't bring myself to like Sun Yu Bo, I really hope he gets better later...
    i don't like Sun Yu Bo even after seeing the series. Too distant! Too cold!
    Cyril Connolly

I'm currently in love with this new version of Liu Xin. For those who have been looking for direct download link, I uploaded them here
    http://www.megaupload.com/?f=909SVONG
    halfcd dvd ripped, mkv, 144mb/ep. Raw version with Chinese subbed.
    Please provide appropriate credit if links posted elsewhere.

I also love the OST here, especially ending theme. Does anyone have full version of opening n ending song?

I just finish watching MBS. Where to start... I really had alot of hope for the new version compare to the 2003 one. I guess it was alright. I didn't mind baron and Ivy, but they didn't bring out much of the feelings. Ivy was cute but she was annoying and boring. She wore tored up hanging clothes and had the worst hair out of the girls. It was so boring and messy. Baron (I love him) but he is still pretty new at acting and I think he didn't do a good job at acting as Xiao Meng either. I have to agree that he does look like a school boy. His hair has to go! There are parts where he had a bad hair day. I mean his hair was like an afro or something. Some of his clothes were to big on him too. I think because he is too skinny, they had to stuff him. *SIGH* It wasn't as good as I thought it could be. The storyline changed and it confused me alot.

How could Sun die not know her baby's father is Ye xiang. Oh and btw I love Ye xiang. To bad he had little screen time and there was no love between him and Gao Da Jia (except brotherly love). Why? Or HOw can they do this to Sun die. Geez Ye xiang should of had the balls to admit to her that it was his kid. Plus why did they have to kill Ye Xiang like that. He was barely in the movie. All those sceen with him drunk and stuff could have been cut down if he wasn't important. I like jordan he

Basically this story is screwed up, it made the storyline not make sense. But Victor had a great character. It was interesting seeing him playing a villian for the first time. He wasn't too bad. Rebecca was really awing too. I really like her playing Gao Da jie. She fits the role really well. She looks so beautiful.

I just started watching this show. UHM...I just can't really believe how...childlike Sun Die is HaHa She's so starved for attention that she talks to someone who comes uninvited into her home? If it were me...brave warrior that I am...I'd throw a rock in the general direction of "the smell" and run screaming for help. Her interaction with Ye Xiang in the beginning was just like, "really?" and Victor Huang's character was kind of creepy when he looked at her. WoW I hope the characterization improves. Oh, and Ivy Chen's got a really toothy...face? manner of speaking? She doesn't look as young on screen as she does in pictures. Alright, that's enough bashing. I sound like a hater haha! I guess it's charming and innocent especially appealing towards supposed bada$$ assassin hotties.

Rebecca Wang Yan's Gao Lao Da is very intriguing and seductive. She's awesome. Totally outshined all the boys in her harem.
    I like me.

Just finished watching this.

For those of you that are considering watching this, I should mention that the pace in this in glacial compared to Jin Yong adaptations. If you don't like watching a lot of dialogue scenes where people are brooding/plotting 80-90% of the time you probably won't make it past 5 episodes. It's important to pay attention the whole time though, or you might miss important details. So if you don't have a lot of patience I'd suggest skipping this.

Character-wise, Ye Xiang and Lady Gao are the best since they actually have stuff to work with and the two actors here do a great job. Baron's MXH and Victor's LXC both come off a bit flat. SYB they made a little bit too omnipotent; I never thought for a second that he was in any danger. Sun Die is a pretty boring character in all adaptations of this story but Ivy is pretty/cute enough to make it believable all the guys could fall for her. The other supporting characters are pretty non-descript. They are neither good or bad, just kind of there.

I held myself back from reading this thread or anything else about this series. I am glad I didn't and formed a opinion of my own. I did not watch this in the original audio , it was in Khmer and I think the dubbers did a great job. For me the dubbers are very important, they add more to the character. Maybe this is why I like the series much. I do agree about the Beginning and Ending being better then the middle part too, since there are some scene that are way draggy, I feel this way towards three kingdom also (Hah still haven't finish it yet) anyhoot I really thought that Ye Xiang was going to be the lead, and was disappointing since I am not a fan of those hero gone emotional type, I am glad that MXH was the lead=). And I like the development of his relationship between Xiao Die. I didn't think neither Jordan He or Baron Chen were cute at first, but the more I watch the series the more attractive they became! I think MXH character made Baron more sexy lol.

And Oh my Victor Huang! The first series I have encounter him, (I usually watch HK series) He is handsome! LXC could of been a cool character but he had to had to evil side, oh and not to mention he lost his you know what! I also wished that they would have made it more of a twist or harder mystery to figure out, it was too easy to figure out the mastermind behind it all. Ahh Anyways! I hope too see more of this fella, I know he is in three kingdom, but really it is way to boring for my liking!

Quote Originally Posted by AndyChrono View Post
    For those of you that are considering watching this, I should mention that the pace in this in glacial compared to Jin Yong adaptations. If you don't like watching a lot of dialogue scenes where people are brooding/plotting 80-90% of the time you probably won't make it past 5 episodes. It's important to pay attention the whole time though, or you might miss important details. So if you don't have a lot of patience I'd suggest skipping this.
    The style and pacing of the series has it's positives and negatives. A lot of the scenes were draggy with useless conversation that tries to sound deep, meaningful, and mysterious but fact didn't actually have much substance. However, that's pretty much exactly how Gu Long writes like. They did a good job of setting up the "you can't trust anyone" aura and creating the perfectly plotting villiam (LXC) and the omnipotent good guy who always one-ups everyone (Lao Bo). So I suppose they did well in trying to replicate Gu Long's style. However, sometimes the actors were a little too wooden in delivering their lines. I get that they're suppose to be putting on poker faces the entire time, but the impression they gave me were of indifference rather than mysteriousness.

As for Baron Chen's acting for Meng Xing Hun, I thought it was neither great nor horrible. I can't decide whether it's his acting or the script/directing that caused his character to be kind of bland. MXH's character is mostly defined by his inner thoughts and philosophical views, so I suppose it's more difficult to make his character entertaining on screen. I think the script decided to split part of the novel MXH and gave it to Ye Xiang in the series--which I'm not sure was the greatest idea. Or rather, they should've done better storyboarding because for the 1st 5 episodes or so, it almost seemed like Ye Xiang was the main character (IloveMimiLo proves my point) with the whole drowning himself in depression crap. And considering the amount of attention they gave him in the begining, they sure gave him a quiet death--Meng Xing Hun looked so indifferent afterwards that I thought he had something planned and Ye Xiang didn't actually die.
    Last edited by Ren Ying Ying; 09-17-10 at 05:12 PM.

Woo a couple more things I would like to add. Rebeca Wang was great in here, I too have always seen here in the girl next door roll. Glad to see a change, the only complain is her hair gear, so much fabric coming out of her hair most times, it nice. I wasn't really fancying the male bangs, especially the annoying brother they had. The girls custom wasn't bad, well i didn't really like the rob that Ivy wear through out the show, the white one . looks like she just threw on a big blanket.

i want to watch this drama...sadly there's no english subs anywhere?
    ---------
    Shellie

what to say....

I like Ivy chen, she was so cute in here.

But they totally screw the storyline!

Baron Chen had horrible hair. Sometimes he looked like an APE! lol.

I liked Rebecca Wang, she was great and beautiful as usual.

Storyline: well it was ok. Yes long and draggy.

I was hoping so much for this drama, but I was let down. I can't believe they had to choose Baron chen. I think he is good looking, but he is too new to play this type of role. I think Hu ge should of played it or someone who is more experienced. Baron didn't bring out the feelings that he liked Ivy. Aiya, I was disappointed.

I love Ye Xiang, but ok, they swapp the storyline so I don't know now. I mean I love the character itself, but since it change, it blew me away a bit.

I like the fact that atleast Ivy Chen's baby is Ye Xiang.

Oh and I have to compliment Victor Huang! I always loved him and he was great as his first time being a villian. He was psycho and etc. Love him! Good Job!