Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can VR warp sense of reality?

Default Can VR warp sense of reality?

Saw this and thought it was interesting:

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_477251.html

LOS ANGELES - THE perfection of an idyllic planet populated by perfect blue aliens at one with nature and each other from the hugely successful movie Avatar, is causing ordinary humans to become depressed, reported entertainment media on Thursday.

The world created by director James Cameron is so perfect that entire support groups have sprung up to help fans cope with the fact that it doesn't exist.
    I just find it strange that some people can be so deeply involved like that.

How do people ever get so involved like this? Did their sense of reality actually "merged" with the 3-D visuals, so that they think it's "real" but yet is aware it isn't which caused the distress? It's like living through a whole life only to discover everything's a set up. Does this make sense?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Saw this and thought it was interesting:

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_477251.html

I just find it strange that some people can be so deeply involved like that.

How do people ever get so involved like this? Did their sense of reality actually "merged" with the 3-D visuals, so that they think it's "real" but yet is aware it isn't which caused the distress? It's like living through a whole life only to discover everything's a set up. Does this make sense?
    some people just get really emotionally involved with stories/movies/etc. I suppose it's sort of like people crying to a sad movie and feeling "depressed" about it afterwards...only a bit more off the charts?

Who needs 3D, VR blue aliens for this? I get depressed enough watching wuxia adaptations sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Who needs 3D, VR blue aliens for this? I get depressed enough watching wuxia adaptations sometimes.
    yes, let's all not forget about Ken's "virtual" feud with Yang Guo. If only they had professional support groups for that...

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    yes, let's all not forget about Ken's "virtual" feud with Yang Guo. If only they had professional support groups for that...
    I don't know about "professional," but there *is* a strictly nonprofessional support group for it: it's called the Yeung Gor/Little Dragon Girl Anti-Glorification Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    Haha! Yeah, undeniably, there are people who gets themselves too emotionally involved with someone or a story that isn't quite real. It'd be a beneficial lesson for these emotionalist to learn to see what is real and what is not.

As far as the movie is concerned, you go with the emotional flow as the movie screens is inavoidable for some but after the movie, words scrolling up, it's a definite bye-bye for me.
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 01-18-10 at 01:21 AM.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Haha! Yeah, undeniably, there are people who gets themselves too emotionally involved with someone or a story that isn't quite real. It'd be a beneficial lesson for these emotionalist to learn to see what is real and what is not.
    What's important is not whether these things have material reality, but that the *concept* exists.

Sometimes, what afflicts us most are not tangible, physical things, but concepts and principles that are in irreconcilable conflict with our worldviews.

If such were not the case, there would be no religious wars in this world.

I don't know about "professional," but there *is* a strictly nonprofessional support group for it: it's called the Yeung Gor/Little Dragon Girl Anti-Glorification Thread.
    That? Nonprofessional support group? Are you sure? I thought that's where it makes the rest of us clearly aware of how emotionally inclined you are towards the story!
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    That? Nonprofessional support group? Are you sure?
    It's served its purpose surprisingly well; it has surpassed all my expectations.

Ken, your life would be much better off if you can forget about Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Ken, your life would be much better off if you can forget about Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl.
    This is true, but short of amnesia, this will not be happening.

Better to pursue ways that actually *work*.

Anyway, back to VR and reality...well, you know, people did this decades ago without VR: it was called hallucinogenic drugs.

I've never taken them and don't plan to, but from I've heard/read about the experience, LSD *totally* blows away VR in leaving a powerful impression upon an individual (typically not for the better, unfortunately).

A murderer who successful escaped justice (his victim death was ruled as suicide) turned himself in after watching 'Passion of Christ'.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...y/2467592.html
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

To the topic: Idiots exist everywhere.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by xJadedx View Post
    To the topic: Idiots exist everywhere.
    I wouldn't be so harsh as to judge these people as "idiots." It's not as if they were given a choice between being thus affected by the film and not being thus affected and inexplicably chose to be affected. They went into the film with the same expectation that most other people had...to simply be entertained, and had NO idea that they would be thus affected.

Moreover, they understand that they have a problem and are seeking help. How could that be construed as "idiotic?" Maybe if they decided to paint themselves blue and shoot arrows at other people, we could apply that descriptor, but as it is..."idiot" seems a bit too harsh.

I wouldn't be so harsh as to judge these people as "idiots." It's not as if they were given a choice between being thus affected by the film and not being thus affected and inexplicably chose to be affected. They went into the film with the same expectation that most other people had...to simply be entertained, and had NO idea that they would be thus affected.

Moreover, they understand that they have a problem and are seeking help. How could that be construed as "idiotic?" Maybe if they decided to paint themselves blue and shoot arrows at other people, we could apply that descriptor, but as it is..."idiot" seems a bit too harsh.
    Totally agree!!
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Getting emotionally affected by a film is one thing - everyone will experience some degree of emotional affect when viewing films (unless you are psychopathic or lack an amygdala), some more than others. I have no problem with people becoming deeply emotionally involved when viewing a film, or being still in such a state for a short time after. I myself am one of the folks who invests a great deal of emotion into films. But to contemplate suicide or suddenly think life is meaningless because of a movie (and especially one such as Avatar) is being over-dramatic and idiotic, in my opinion. There are far more meaningful and symbolic things in life to think about other than a pretty movie.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by xJadedx View Post
    Getting emotionally affected by a film is one thing - everyone will experience some degree of emotional affect when viewing films (unless you are psychopathic or lack an amygdala), some more than others. I have no problem with people becoming deeply emotionally involved when viewing a film, or being still in such a state for a short time after. I myself am one of the folks who invests a great deal of emotion into films. But to contemplate suicide or suddenly think life is meaningless because of a movie (and especially one such as Avatar) is being over-dramatic and idiotic, in my opinion. There are far more meaningful and symbolic things in life to think about other than a pretty movie.
    You think too simply. People who are affected in such a way most probably already have issues to began with. It's not simply Avatar causing them to suddenly lost hope in the real world. They must have encountered a lot of unhappiness and disillusionment. Maybe they have them buried deep inside and tried to live as normal or positively as they can and the movie Avatar brought this feelings all up again.
    Last edited by kidd; 01-18-10 at 08:57 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    You think too simply. People who are affected in such a way most probably already have issues to began with. It's not simply Avatar causing them to suddenly lost hope in the real world. They must have encountered a lot of unhappiness and disillusionment. Maybe they have them buried deep inside and tried to live as normal or positively as they can and the movie Avatar brought this feelings all up again.
    Whatever the underlying cause, someone who can't reconcile their incongruous world view to reality is still an idiot, no?
    Lack of training and care justifiably explains why a cat is feral, but at the end of the day, it's still a feral cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Whatever the underlying cause, someone who can't reconcile their incongruous world view to reality is still an idiot, no?
    No. Not necessarilly.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里