Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Actor Nick Cheung forks out HK$200,000 in bid to get male heir

Did he really emphasise he wanted a male heir, or is it just the media sensationalising it? Apparently only the title (which is nearly always unreliable) and abstract says he's spending that much for a male heir. The content which directly quoted him multiple times never mentioned genders as well, only the number of kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    not just the chinese, didn't king henry viii wanted a son so badly he had happily 'disposed' wives after wives in the hopes of getting one?

so yeah, it can be very important, depending on mindset.
    I don't understand his logic anyway. Kings always have mistresses... and he's disposing his wives systemically only to name another "unproven" woman as a queen. That woman too, would be disposed off if she failed to produce. In that case why not just hang out around all of his mistresses and just dispose that one single queen after a certain mistress gave birth to a son.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang; 01-23-10 at 01:20 AM.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

not just the chinese, didn't king henry viii wanted a son so badly he had happily 'disposed' wives after wives in the hopes of getting one?

so yeah, it can be very important, depending on mindset.
    I thought that male heir thing was just an excuse for Henry VIII to get new younger wives??? His mistresses did give him a few sons, but they were illegitimate, so he couldn't proclaim them as heirs to the throne since they were born from an act of adultery, and an adulteress cannot be crowned queen (wonder how Charles and Camilla will think about this? ).

Well, it seems pointless in the end since his daughter ended up being one of the strongest monarchs in British history!

Anyway, wonder why Nick and Esther didn't have kids sooner? They were together for so long (since ATV times). They could have had kids then, and then by now they would be off to boarding school and both Nick and Esther can return act.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    His mistresses did give him a few sons, but they were illegitimate, so he couldn't proclaim them as heirs to the throne since they were born from an act of adultery, and an adulteress cannot be crowned queen (wonder how Charles and Camilla will think about this? ).
    Ah, I forgot about that. Thanks for the info.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

I thought that male heir thing was just an excuse for Henry VIII to get new younger wives??? His mistresses did give him a few sons, but they were illegitimate, so he couldn't proclaim them as heirs to the throne since they were born from an act of adultery, and an adulteress cannot be crowned queen (wonder how Charles and Camilla will think about this? ).

Well, it seems pointless in the end since his daughter ended up being one of the strongest monarchs in British history!
    It's not the only reason for disposing his wives, but, I think it was one of the reasons. He did want a male heir. But, I wonder if Jane Seymour couldn't bear him a son will he dispose of her. He seemed to love her very much.
    Last edited by kidd; 01-23-10 at 04:39 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Maybe the church of England could give them a solution? After all the main issue Henry VIII has was that the 'annoying' RCC refused to grant him divorce ~ and even till the modern day, RCC still strongly maintained once married, forever married theory, and only 'till death do us part'.

It's not the only reason for disposing his wives, but, I think it was one of the reasons. He did want a male heir. But, I wonder if Jane Seymour couldn't bear him a son will he disposed of her. He seemed to love her very much.
    Yea, i was just kidding on that part, technically only the first two wives were disposed due to lack of male heir ~ but he apparently had plenty of fun sending his wives (and anybody else that suit his fancies) to the gallows.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Yea, i was just kidding on that part, technically only the first two wives were disposed due to lack of male heir ~ but he apparently had plenty of fun sending his wives (and anybody else that suit his fancies) to the gallows.
    well, he has actually only sent 2 wives to the gallows. The first wife wisely agreed to a divorce, the 3rd died of childbirth and the 4th marriage was annulled with mutual consent.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    well, he has actually only sent 2 wives to the gallows. The first wife wisely agreed to a divorce, the 3rd died of childbirth and the 4th marriage was annulled with mutual consent.
    2 is plural ~ not sure how true it is, but i'd once read from somewhere he'd gotten plenty of people executed, which worked out on average about 5 per day, throughout his reign.
    o wilku mowa...♪

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    It's not the only reason for disposing his wives, but, I think it was one of the reasons. He did want a male heir. But, I wonder if Jane Seymour couldn't bear him a son will he dispose of her. He seemed to love her very much.
    I think that if she did not die from childbirth, Jane Seymour would have lasted as long as Henry found her new and refreshing and before another lady-in-waiting caught his eye. She only was with him for about a year so maybe he wasn't tired of her yet.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I think that if she did not die from childbirth, Jane Seymour would have lasted as long as Henry found her new and refreshing and before another lady-in-waiting caught his eye. She only was with him for about a year so maybe he wasn't tired of her yet.
    good thing she died before 'learning the truth'.
    o wilku mowa...♪