Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: The Sword And The Exquisiteness (Volumes IV and V)

Default Thanks to Athena.

Let me be the first among all of us, and also to represent all of us to thank you Athena for the hard work that you have put into translating this bundle of joy for us.

Edit: Of course, the ending does not match the elegance of the preceeding chapters. I guessed the ending would be bad, but not this bad. This reminds one of the stories that you got after defeating the boss in arcade games.
    Last edited by Han Solo; 10-22-03 at 07:11 AM.

Let me be the second(why do I always lose out? such a loser), what Han Solo said

I think this is the first novel to be successfully translated fully on SPC in just over 7 months, that is shocking speed!

Athena

Thanks for all your time and effort Athena! Reading your translation was often the most interesting thing I did during one day. Plus I learned many new words thus enriching my vocabulary while reading your work.

Default Excellent Job on the Epilogue

Thanks Athena for writing the epilogue. It really brought closure to the story. It was so seamless that I would've believed that it was the original ending had I not seen the untranslated text. Instead of feeling cheated and swindled at the end of the novel it actually left me with a sense of fulfillment and completion.

Thanks so much.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Great job on the translation,

the epilogue was written by Athena?
    and was not part of the novel?

wow, if it is then, Athena did such a great job
    thanks again

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Lightbulb

First of all thank you Han Solo, Charlieboy (my good student ), Jia Mozhi, Darkcser and Zhouyu!
    The epilogue was written by me over a year ago when I first finished the novel. I could not deal with the unsatisfying ending written by Qiao Qi. So Gu Long + Qiao Qi stopped when he walked away when Ji Beiqing died.

I felt unsatisfied and wrote an awfully horrible epilogue.
    No wonder I only JUST passed my creative writing module in university.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

lol at first I thought the epilogue was part of the original book! Like how the one in Lu Xiao Feng's story.

Athena's epilogue is very believable! I'm glad it was included.

"I will stick to you like glue"
    Jin Yanzhi

hehe. And that part with Feng San travelling on a ship is very realistic too. I was also moved by Hai and Yang's sadness for their teacher's death. It's reasonable to assume that in the end they would feel grief since Ji BeiQing took them in when they were orphans.
    And i totally bought that 8th madame Fu explanation!

The original novel is very incomplete without the epilogue. Great job!

Originally posted by Athena
    First of all thank you Han Solo, Charlieboy (my good student ), Jia Mozhi, Darkcser and Zhouyu!
    The epilogue was written by me over a year ago when I first finished the novel. I could not deal with the unsatisfying ending written by Qiao Qi. So Gu Long + Qiao Qi stopped when he walked away when Ji Beiqing died.

I started writing my reply before this post appeared. Again I must stress that I liked the epilogue a lot.

Cool

Thanks Athena for the great epilogue and hope you are back now for good.

It seems worth all the hardships to end up with three most beautiful ladies of the wulin then.

The good point of this story is characterization - I like the way GL built up characters of each major ones, especially Yu Peiyu, of course.

the last few chapters could have been better, but it is an enjoyable story, nonetheless.

Thank you again Athena for dedicating your time for us who are Chinese illiterate.

Hopefully, after some rest, you will think of picking up other GL's book to translate soon.
    "History's third dimension is always fiction."
    -- The Glass Bead Game, Hermann Hesse

Originally posted by Athena

It's a wonderful warm and fuzzy epilogue

I was tempted to PM you to ask whether you had wrote it yourself since it would've been interesting to see how many people would've assumed it was the original ending. Perhaps you should've just called it "Epilogue" -without the "Translator's" part... maybe it's still not too late to test this. I can edit my prev posts...
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Great Job Athena, That's what I usually do whenever I have series that has open ending/ not satisfying ending. Just write the continuation on a piece of paper.

Again Thank you for the translation.

I'd just like to add to the long list of appreciation

Thank You Athena for translating this exquisite story for us and at such pace too

The story was just exquisite up until the last few chapters and well... Athena's exquisite epilogue really saved it.

Good stuff Athena!! I guess I can only repeat what others have said and say great job!

Frantasy Land, CA AKA / Alias / Pen Name: Frantasy Honorary Title: 蓝莲花

Great stuff, Athena! The translation for TSATE is finished, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

P.S. I love your epilouge!
    AKA: Frantasy

Translating: Ni Tian Xie Shen (逆天邪神) – Against the Gods by Mars Gravity @ https://alyschu.wordpress.com/

YES!!!! Mid week surprise!!! thanks Athena. I haven't read yet, but I really (like the rest here) want to show how much I appreciate your hardwork on translating this book.

You really help me introduce to GL work. thank you so much.

Please don't let the end of TSATE as the end your existance in here. I'm sure everyone agree with me, we really enjoy your insightful view on wuxia matter.

EDIT: I finish reading it... love the epilogue.. thanks again Athena.

Now I'm going to re-read from the beginning YAI!!!!!!
    Last edited by eeyore; 10-22-03 at 08:36 PM.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Great job Athena in completeng the translation!
    I think this is the first completed translation at spcnet .

Thank you!
    There's a friend that sticks closer than a brother.

Default Great Job!!!

Athena, thankyou for a wonderful translation. I thouroughly enjoyed the story and your style of prose. Thanks again

....So what's the next story?!

Wow you finished it! I havent had the chance to finish the last chapters but i will later. Thankyou so very much Athena. Your making my apple pie taste THAT much better will add more praise later
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

yay.... Finally the last chapter. Thanks Athena for your hardwork.

well done athena!!! finally last chapter!! though I don't like the last chapters but still.. I am very grateful for your work! I love the epilogue.. I even thought it is a part of the story.
    Thank you so much..
    We must sail sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it - but we must sail, and not drift, nor live at anchor (Oliver Wendell Holmes)