Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Sword And The Exquisiteness (Volumes IV and V)

I read yesterday's and today's updates in the same breath so the shock didn't really have time to kick in

After some thoughts, I think Zhu Lei (I knew someone called this in real life ) should have known Yu PeiYu well enough to understand that he would not hate her for faking it, he would certainly understand her reasons. In fact, he would even be VERY happy to learn that she would not die.

But if Zhu really died, would it have been worth it? From her point of view, I think it would have.

Xiangxiang scoffed:"You agreed to marry her because she was dying. If she wasn't poisoned you would have never given her any consideration."
    It's not just the marriage, but also the words and actions Yu PeiYu said to Zhu Lei'er, like how he really loved her, assuming it was all sincere.

For Zhu Lei'er, that was the most important thing in the world. For other people, the most important thing in the world is getting to duel other masters even if it means death.

I think that as long as you die happy, it's worth it.

In Chinese, is the word love only used in the context of romantic love? Or also in the context of food love, car love, like in English?

Thanks for the well done translation Athena!
    Last edited by JiaMoZhi; 08-01-03 at 11:41 AM.

Lin'Er - Your PM box is full. Maybe, you can delete all your "sent messages". I don't know why "sent messages" are even store in our accounts.
    No longer walking amongst the living...

Thumbs up Thx Athena!

Hiya gys,
    Thx Athena for a full meal/update and satisfying my curiosity regarding the life/death of Zhu Lei'Er. Now that Zhu Lei'Er didnt die and Yu Peiyu is married, I dont know what will happen to Lin Daiyu. Still, the appearance of a few outrageous women [ie. Ji Lengfeng] promises to be entertaining.
    -
    -
    -
    To JiaMoZhi:
    Thx for your insight.
    -
    -
    COMMENTS:
    1. Wonder if the Wolf really left or secretly observing the brothel now, because heroes rarely explicitly tell the villain they are leaving ...
    --- quote: Hai Dongqing turned around and walked away, Xiangxiang said:"Are you leaving now?" She ran up and pulled his sleeve, Hai Dongqing said:"I'm leaving now."
    2. Hard to believe Granny Hu's mother would die like this, since both Granny Hu and her sister seems sly.
    --- quote: Zhu Lei'Er said:"The two of you wanted to betray granny Hu for a long time, so when she left her home you killed her mother. And because of the old woman hardly revealed herself to others nobody suspected a thing."
    3. I guess I should put more faith in Zhu Lei'Er being a nice girl.
    --- quote: she became weak and tipsy very fast. She wanted to slit her throat but because her hands became very weak [...] she made a cut on her chest and fainted of the wine and the pain.
    4. Since Zhu Lei'Er and Yu Peiyu are married, I hope Lin Daiyu will not sacrifice herself ... [ie. Yu Peiyu in good side and Lin Daiyu in evil side, and they cannot be together thing.]

5. Wonder what the "pills of happiness" symbolically represent ...
    --- Yu Peiyu shouted:"Do you want to become like those two! Look at them because of those damn pills they are slaves of her! They don't have their freedom and lives anymore. For those pills they are willing to betray themselves!"
    -
    -
    -
    QUESTIONS:
    1. Even though there is not enough time to impersonate Zhu Lei'Er, is this Zhu Lei'Er the real McCoy?
    --- quote: Xiangxiang came in and she was holding a beautiful young girl, it was Zhu Lei'Er she was still alive.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 08-02-03 at 03:44 AM.

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Chapter 28 A Mysterious Youngster

Yu Peiyu closed his eyes, he didn't want to see their degrading actions.
    Ji Lingfeng said calmly:"Now you understand the power of my pills, not everyone can be like you. Only you have the tenacity and the willl to break from my pills."
    She smiled to Yu Peiyu. He still ignored her.
    Ji Lingfeng said:"Why do you ignore me? We are old friends and I have helped you many times. Why do you always run away from me when you see me."
    Yu Peiyu stayed quiet for a moment and sighed in the end:"You're right. You have helped many times, but......"
    Ji Lingfeng smiled:"Don't worry, I don't want you to repay me."
    Yu Peiyu asked:"What do you want from me?"
    Ji Lingfeng answered:"I just want to make a deal with you."
    Yu Peiyu asked:"What kind of deal?"
    She walked around Yu Peiyu and stared at him, she said:"From the very first time we met, I knew you're extraordinary."
    Yu Peiyu stuttered:"What....what is so extraordinary about me?"
    Ji Lingfeng waved her hand and Xu Ruoyu, Xiangxiang and the other eight girls left. She closed the door and said calmly:"Firstly, you're the only son of Yu Fanghe, but......."
    Before she could finish, Zhu Lei'Er loudly interrupted:"You say that he is the son of Yu Fanghe?"
    Ji Lingfeng smiled:"You don't know? You're right, with the exception of me and old man Gao. Nobody knows this."
    Zhu Lei'Er was stunned and looked at Yu Peiyu with her startled eyes.
    Ji Lingfeng said:"It is very glamorous to be the son of the chancellor of Wulin. But why did he have to pretend to be dead and assume the identity of a new Yu Peiyu?"
    Zhu Lei'Er asked:"Why....why is that?"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"He doesn't acknowledge this Yu Fanghe as his father, he even broke his ties with his fiancee Lin Daiyu. That day when I saw her stabbing you with her sword, I felt sad for you. You would rather see her hating you than explaining your problems to her."
    Zhu Lei'Er bit her lip and said:"Because perhaps they do not understand him......But I do understand, because I too......"
    She stopped talking, Ji Lingfeng said:"Do you think his father did something bad to him?"
    Zhu Lei'Er stayed quiet and Ji Lingfeng said:"Your situation is different than his."
    Ji Lingfeng said calmly:"It is different because this Yu Fanghe is an imposter too."
    Zhu Lei'Er called out with surprise, Yu Peiyu's face changed. Ji Lingfeng smiled:"So many people in history think that their secrets would never be exposed. However they are too foolish and naive, you can never keep secrets hidden too long from the world. Heaven works in strange ways, I must be the last person you expect to see here and there back then."
    Yu Peiyu said:"Are you talking about that day in the inn?"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"Exactly, it was fate that brought us together in that inn."
    Yu Peiyu repeated softly:"Fate.....fate......"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"When I saw you together with Lin Daiyu, I was startled too."
    Yu Peiyu asked:"I was meaning to ask you, what were you doing there anyway?"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"I was following Ximen Feng and others, I suspected that they were up to no good."
    Yu Peiyu smiled wryly:"So you followed them and they lead you to me."
    Ji Lingfeng said:"I didn't expect to find you there, it was also a surprise to see Hong Lianhua there. I knew that the Beggars Association was holding an assembly in Sichuan province."
    Yu Peiyu said:"So many coincidences."
    Ji Lingfeng said:"Hong Lianhua was even more surprised to see you and Lin Daiyu. The normally the ever so cold Miss Lin Daiyu was travelling with a mysterious young man. And you lodge in the same inn and stayed in the same room."
    Zhu Lei'Er wanted to ask something, but she looked at Yu Peiyu and didn't ask.
    Ji Lingfeng said:"Hong Lianhua was suspicious, so he sent a disciple to investigate."
    Yu Peiyu smiled coldly:"So that waiter was sent to spy on us, I found him very suspicious from the start. He kept staring at Miss Lin and he came into our room with feeble excuses."
    Ji Lingfeng said:"Didn't you suspect that waiter was sent by Hong Lianhua?"
    Yu Peiyu said:"Although I did suspect a bit, but I wasn't sure."
    Ji Lingfeng said:"That Song Si is also my subordinate, that is something you and Hong Lianhua didn't know."
    Yu Peiyu said:"Is he addicted too?"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"Yes, before he reported to Hong Lianhua he made a report to me. He told me that you and Miss Lin were both behaving strangely, the second time he entered he saw Miss Lin in tears and you were facing the wall."
    Yu Peiyu asked:"What did Song Si have to say?"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"He told me that he and Miss Lin had met before when she was in trouble some months ago. She also gave him a message to deliver to Hong Lianhua."
    Yu Peiyu remembered Hong Lianhua telling him that story, she gave him a pouch in it was a piece of paper with the characters Trust Yu Peiyu and help him.
    It was only months ago, but to him it seemed like an entire lifetime.
    Ji Lingfeng said:"I was very curious when I heard Song Si's report so I decided to have a look. It was a coincidence to see Hong Lianhua and Ximen Feng there too."
    Yu Peiyu sighed:"It was a busy day that day in the inn."
    Ji Lingfeng said:"Afterwards I saw Miss Lin storming out of her room holdin her sword. She was crying, cursing creating quite a scene. Why was that?"
    Yu Peiyu looked pensive and said:"Because I did not tell her who I was, and she hates me for doing something horrible to her. So she wanted to kill me."
    Ji Lingfeng smiled:"She may fool Ximen Feng and Hong Lianhua with this charade, but not me."
    Yu Peiyu said:"You don't believe this?"
    Ji Lingfeng shook her head:"Not a word."
    Yu Peiyu said:"What happened in your esteemed opinion?"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"Firstly, she knew you and the so-called deceased Yu Peiyu are the same person. Otherwise she wouldn't travel with you."
    Yu Peiyu stuttered:"Maybe.....maybe she just wanted to wait for an opportunity to kill me."
    Ji Lingfeng laughed:"If she wanted to kill you she had plenty of chances. Why would she try and kill you there? She just wanted to put up a show and hoped to trick the spies of Yu Fanghe."
    Yu Peiyu looked awfully pale and said:"A show?"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"She knew that Ximen Feng and others were following you and were spying on you. She created that scene to fool them that you're not the Yu Peiyu they want."
    Yu Peiyu stayed silent for a moment before asking:"What else?"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"There is nothing else, I just have great admiration for your fiancee. Miss Lin is a very intelligent and courageous girl, she will be the perfect wife."
    When Zhu Lei'Er heard the word [wife], her face turned red and then pale again. She wanted to cover her ears.
    Ji Lingfeng continued:"Also I wanted to warn you that you may fool Yu Fanghe for a moment but not forever. He is bound to get to the bottom of this. But when you saw me you ran away as fast as you could."
    Yu Peiyu now asked very earnestly:"What sort of deal were you suggesting earlier?"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"If I revealed your secrets in open, you will be dead within a few days. But rest assured I will protect your secrets very well and I am even planning to help you."
    Yu Peiyu said:"Help me?"
    Ji Lingfeng said slowly:"I want to help you destroy that fake Yu Fanghe."
    Yu Peiyu sighed deeply:"Of course you want to become the new chancellor of Wulin in order to become it, you have to eliminate Yu Fanghe. And the only way you can successfully remove him is by working together with me to expose his crimes."
    Ji Lingfeng smiled:"We have a common goal."
    Yu Peiyu said:"What if I refuse?"
    Ji Lingfeng said calmly:"I will kill you now."
    Yu Peiyu sighed:"It seems I have no other choice."
    Ji Lingfeng smiled:"It seems so. And I will fully support you, you have no idea how much my power has grown. There are subordinates of me spread across the entire land. With only one order they are at your disposal."
    Yu Peiyu sighed:"With that much power why do you want to become the chancellor of Wulin."
    Ji Lingfeng said:"Some people like to drink, some people like women but I love power!"
    Yu Peiyu said:"Power?"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"If one hasn't tasted it before, one doesn't know the joys of it. My biggest wish is to see everyone in Wulin bow before me. At this point my operation is only conducted in secret, if I fail everything is gone."
    Yu Peiyu sighed:"It is said that drinking and prostituting kills, but in my eyes power is even more horrifying."
    Ji Lingfeng's eyes were burning with passion and said:"But power is something that is desired and wanted by many."
    Yu Peiyu said:"But now that Yu Fanghe is the chancellor, you are plotting against him. But when you're the chancellor someone would rebel against you too."
    Ji Lingfeng said:"When you become an emperor, there are bound to be usurpers or rebels. However if most of the people fear and respect you, those few traitors won't matter to me."
    Yu Peiyu asked:"How long can you stay the chancellor?"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"If my wish comes true.....Even if it was only for one day I will be very happy."
    Yu Peiyu sighed deeply and said softly:"Power.....power, what an abominable concept!"
    Ji Lingfeng said:"We are not here to discuss ethics or philosophies of life. There are two roads for you to pick, one work with me. Two: Die!"
    Yu Peiyu said seriously:"I have one condition too, if you won't comply I will rather die."
    Ji Lingfeng said:"What is that condition?"
    Yu Peiyu said:"I don't want anything to do with those pills of happiness, I don't even want to hear that name."
    Ji Lingfeng smiled:"You think it is cheap to make those pills? Since you already agree to help me I won't waste those pills on you."
    Yu Peiyu said:"My word is enough for you?"
    Ji Lingfeng smiled sweetly:"I can only trust one person in this world and that is you. Besides I know too many of your secrets, you wouldn't dream of defying me. But most important we have a common enemy we need to deal with."
    Yu Peiyu smiled wryly:"It seems in order to defeat Yu Fanghe I have to work together with people like you."
    Ji Lingfeng said seriously:"Indeed, all those Wulin people from the orthodox schools are at his side. They won't believe your story and help you."
    The funny thing is that the mission of Yu Peiyu was righteous and good, but in order to succeed he has to work with evil and heretic people. The irony of life!
    Last edited by Athena; 08-07-03 at 05:17 AM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

Lightbulb

Thanks everyone for providing insights on Zhu Lei'Er's love for Yu Peiyu. I especially like the assessment by Jia Mozhi on Zhu Lei'Er.
    Personally I like her a lot more than the other female characters in this novel, there is something naive and innocent aobut her. I cannot put my finger on it, but it makes her very cute and adorable.
    Perhaps she is selfish but who isn't a bit selfish in love, even Jin Yanzi hoped Hong Lianhua and Lin Daiyu to get together. That way Yu Peiyu could fall for her.
    Zhu Lei'Er is a sweet girl who has suffered a lot in her childhood, I really think she would make a nice couple with Yu Peiyu.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Cool

I didn't expect Zhu to be such innocent girl.

I didn't like her much at first but now she is rather cute. I think she loved Yu and understood him more than other girls except Lin.

Anyhow, I still wish that Yu would end up with Lin b/c she also had suffered a lot for him too, not to say hmmm....

Lin was an intelligent and a perfect wife for Yu, why not give him both?
    One is loving, and one is perfect.
    "History's third dimension is always fiction."
    -- The Glass Bead Game, Hermann Hesse

heh... and I prefer Jin YanZi

maybe he'll take them all and end up like Wei Xiao Bao

Thumbs up Thx Athena!

Hiya gys,
    Thx Athena for another update. Very amusing how Yu Peiyu continues to recruit the people from the dark side of society while the mastermind recruits righteous people. A fight fire with fire attitude. Also interesting is how Zhu Lei'Er reacts to Yu Peiyu now that the cat is out of the bag, regarding Lin Daiyu and his true identity. You are busted, Yu Peiyu! [for cheating on your girlfriend]
    -
    -
    To Goofy:
    quote: Lin was an intelligent and a perfect wife for Yu, why not give him both?
    --- Likewise, both Tian Xin-er and Tian Xiang-er marrying Ah Yi ["Legend of Sword and Saber"]?
    -
    -
    To YangGuo
    quote: maybe he'll take them all and end up like Wei Xiao Bao
    --- Or maybe he'll take them all like Duan Yu and later become a monk.
    -
    -
    -
    More comments regarding Yu Peiyu, Lin Daiyu, Zhu Lei'Er:
    --- 1. she shares more screen time with Yu Peiyu than Lin Daiyu, so according to the readers point of view, they share more intimacy? however, Lin Daiyu shares more off-time [ie. time that passes within the story], more occurances of brief but supporting scenes with Yu Peiyu [ie. after Yu FangHe's death, after his second master's death, after Murder Mansion, etc][kinda like Doctor Zhivago's lover].

--- 2. not sure being naive and innocent is a good thing for marriage ... [ie. seems like a weakness/fragility?]

--- n. "DISCARDED" ARGUMENT [one-sided]: We already know that even though her family seems out to kill Yu Peiyu, Lin Daiyu was always supporting him. However, if Feng San wants to kill Yu Peiyu, what will Zhu Lei'Er do?
    -
    -
    -
    COMMENTS:
    1. I hope Lei'Er 's shout doesnt inform the prostitutes. Makes me wonder if she does work for the mastermind.
    --- quote: "Firstly, you're the only son of Yu Fanghe, but......."
    Before she [Ji Lingfeng] could finish, Zhu Lei'Er loudly interrupted:"You say that he is the son of Yu Fanghe?"
    2. Intrigues/revelations through multiple [another] points of view:
    Ji Lingfeng said:"Didn't you suspect that waiter was sent by Hong Lianhua?"
    Yu Peiyu said:"Although I did suspect a bit, but I wasn't sure."
    Ji Lingfeng said:"That Song Si is also my subordinate, that is something you and Hong Lianhua didn't know."
    3. The mindset of an arch-villain?
    Ji Lingfeng said:"If one hasn't tasted it before, one doesn't know the joys of it. My biggest wish is to see everyone in Wulin bow before me. At this point my operation is only conducted in secret, if I fail everything is gone." [...]

Ji Lingfeng's eyes were burning with passion and said:"But power is something that is desired and wanted by many."

Ji Lingfeng said:"If my wish comes true.....Even if it was one day I will be very happy."
    -
    -
    -
    INTERESTING LINES:
    1. Ji Lingfeng said:"Firstly, she [Lin Daiyu] knew you [Yu Peiyu] and the so-called deceased Yu Peiyu are the same person. Otherwise she wouldn't travel [to the inn --and make a show too--] with you."
    -
    2. Ji Lingfeng smiled:"It seems so. And I will fully support you, you have no idea how much my power has grown. There are subordinates of me spread across the entire land. With only one order they are at your disposal." [I thought a lady with an M-16 is sexy? j/k ]
    -
    3. The funny thing is that the mission of Yu Peiyu was righteous and good, but in order to succeed he has to work with evil and heretic people.

I guess Zhu Lei'Er would be very sad atm since Ji Lingfeng told so many of yu peiyu secrets.

For a naive little girl like Zhu Lei'Er, after Yu Peiyu said that he will marry and take care of her earlier and now she realised that Yu Peiyu already have a fiance waiting for him. i wonder whether she could take it anymore...

anyway thank you Athena for the translation....

Cool

to anonymous,

but Ah Yi loved only Xiang-er.

Yu probably loved both.

thanx for the translation athena....sure passed the time quicker at work. anyway...i think Yu should just marry the 3 gurls to settle the dispute. its very common back then for a man to have more than one wife. i like all three girls since they each have their good points...hard to choose

Cool

I think Yu regarded Jin yangzhi more like a friend. I don't think he had special feeling for her like he felt for his fiance or Zhu.

But I secretly hope that Zhu would turn to the Wolf man and leave Yu free for his fiance. I actually feel that Zhu is cuter than Lin but the latter didn't have much screen times and her character still needed some development. However, she had done a lot for him. Without her, Yu would not have had survived to meet Zhu.

I like Zhu LeiEr... I think shes very cute, sweet, and has suffered a lot. But I still think Yu is better matched with one of the other girls. I can't help but think of the two of them as older brother and younger sister, despite Zhu's feelings towards Yu.

Jin YanZi has the best personality and would make a great girlfriend for him. She's straightforward, candid, and they got along very well. She's my personal favorite.

As for Lin, I can't put my finger on it, but she and Yu just seem so... perfect together. Although she hasn't gotten much screen time, it should be clear that she is an amazing woman. She suffered the same tragedy as Yu and she is combating it in her own way. Sometimes, I wonder what she is doing on her end and I wouldn't mind reading more about the adventures she is having. They seem to share a strong bond and I really admire her.
    Last edited by TigerWong; 08-03-03 at 04:39 PM.

Originally posted by TigerWong
    I like Zhu LeiEr... I think shes very cute, sweet, and has suffered a lot. But I still think Yu is better matched with one of this other girls. I can't help but think of the two of them as older brother and younger sister, despite Zhu's feelings towards Yu.

Jin YanZi has the best personality and would make a great girlfriend for him. She's straightforward, candid, and they got along very well. She's my personal favorite.

As for Lin, I can't put my finger on it, but she and Yu just seem so... perfect together. Although she hasn't gotten much screen time, it should be clear that she is an amazing woman. She suffered the same tragedy as Yu and she is combating it in her own way. Sometimes, I wonder what she is doing on her end and I wouldn't mind reading more about the adventures she is having. They seem to share a strong bond and I really admire her.
    Well, no comments for Lin, but I agree with your view points on Jan Yanzi and Zhu Lei'er. I didn't really care much for Zhu in the beginning, but after the events of the brothel and her pretending to be poison, I kind of changed my opinions of her. However, it does seem like Yu doesn't really have "love" feelings for her. He thinks of her more as a sibling I guess. Jan Yanzi is the best match for Yu and I, too, like her personality a lot too.
    No longer walking amongst the living...

Cool

Yu's women:

best friend: Jin yanzi
    cute sister: zhu lei-er
    able wife: Lin Daiyu

we can also fit Miss Tang as his shy mistress.

And what about Iron Blossom eh?

It seems that in many GL novels there is some really young females around ie in Xiao Li Fei Dao and also this novel, and this girls tend to have a somewhat romantic attachment to the protagonists. Does this mirrors GL's life, or a reflection of his desires?

Are you calling him a pedophile?

cant really picture Gu Long as a pedophile since it is common standard back then that girls fall in love young and marry young....

Originally posted by Yang Guo
    Are you calling him a pedophile?
    Not really, i'm just really curious as he was really more into adult type partners in real life, and yet in his novels, there's these child-girl that in romantic attachments to adults.