Thread: Free Graphic Software

Default Free Graphic Software

Any free graphic software you guys can recommend?

Currently, I find PhotoFilter easiest to use of all the free image editors I've tried. But, it does not have as much function as Photoshop (which is to be expected since this is freeware while Photoshop retail price is RM3152).

I would like to know if there's any better Image Editor/Creator. I know GIMP look a lot like Photoshop, but, the learning curve is steep. Anyone good at GIMP here? How is it compared to Photoshop?
    Last edited by kidd; 01-27-10 at 06:56 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Any free graphic software you guys can recommend?

Currently, I find PhotoFilter easiest to use of all the free image editors I've tried. But, it does not have as much function as Photoshop (which is to be expected since this is freeware while Photoshop retail price is RM3152).

I would like to know if there's any better Image Editor/Creator. I know GIMP look a lot like Photoshop, but, the learning curve is steep. Anyone good at GIMP here? How is it compared to Photoshop?
    I tried GIMP a while back and found it very awkward. I like Paint Shop Pro -it's not free but it's a lot cheaper than PS. Depending on what you need it might be good enough.

Any interest in 3D graphics? I'm been looking at iClone before I got hit by another redirect virus and had to re-image my machine yet again. It has some cool soft material IK features (e.g. moving hair and clothing). There's a free version but it seems to watermark the output with the iClone logo.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Have not explored any 3D graphic software yet. Now, still learning 2D.

I've read about GIMP. GIMP users said that it's actually very powerful if you know how to use it.

Just found out about another editor called Krita. will check it out. How much is Paint Shop Pro?

Does anyone know of any freeware animated gif maker?

In my experience, COREL Photo paint is the easiest and powerful tool for graphic editing. problem is Corel is very memory consuming and also expensive.

GIMP is free but it is a paint in *** for easyness, classic problem for 'free' software.

Photoshop is industry standard, still have many stupid things that make life difficult, but in theory you already can do everything with photoshop. price also reasonable with many internet base tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Bei Rongkun View Post
    In my experience, COREL Photo paint is the easiest and powerful tool for graphic editing. problem is Corel is very memory consuming and also expensive.

GIMP is free but it is a paint in *** for easyness, classic problem for 'free' software.

Photoshop is industry standard, still have many stupid things that make life difficult, but in theory you already can do everything with photoshop. price also reasonable with many internet base tutorial.
    So, GIMP can do animated gif?

I did manage to find one small program that specifically make animated gif. The program is called UnFREEZe.

I can't afford Photoshop now. Still an amateur and not doing it for a living. Just learning for interest now. That's why I'm scouting for freeware or cheap software.

Are you a professional designer?

The cheapest photoshop seller I can find in Malaysia is here.

But, it still cost RM 2898.

I read here that theres student pack costing only RM416. Don't how to get it.
    http://fotokrazy.com/cms/forums/inde...a&topic=3166.0

I do designing but not specific to graphic design. Not sure if GIMP can do animated GIF since I very seldom use it.

Last year, if you are a student there is a Adobe Creative suite 4 web premium, which is only at S$99, included photoshop CS4 extended. not sure if this promotion still exist today! try search.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I know GIMP look a lot like Photoshop, but, the learning curve is steep. Anyone good at GIMP here? How is it compared to Photoshop?
    There is a plug-in for GIMP that makes it look like Photoshop in terms of menu items, tools and such, so it becomes less daunting to learn, or so they say.
    I have used GIMP sporadically, and such minor things, it has been OK.
    I can't compare it to Photoshop because I use it sporadically as well.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Thanks for the tips HuangYushi. Will try to look for the plugin.

Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

I recently tried Paint.NET. It's quite good. It has the layer function which I need. Photo Pos Pro also have layer function but after I saved my project and tried to reopen it next day, the pictures in all layers except one are missing. Luckily I've saved some of the layers in individual files, so, I can rebuilt it. I don't know what happen. Too bad it's unstable. It has many functions and effects that I like. I have not tried many functions in Paint.Net yet. So now, I'm using 3 different graphic programs together. PhotoFiltre (which I found easiest to use), Paint.NET and Photo Pos Pro. I've tried closing and opening Paint.NET projects a few times. So far, so good. Nothing's missing.
    Last edited by kidd; 04-15-10 at 04:08 AM.

Trying out Photobie now. It's pretty nice. As for Gimp, started learning it now. Good that it has a lot of tutorials.

More on GIMP. Initially, I did find it hard to use. Many functions are not instinctive if you are use to photoshop. But, I can practically find answer you don't know by search google. So, GIMP has a large support system which is good. I now find it not that hard to use after reading the user guide in http://docs.gimp.org/2.6/en/ .

On part that I find GIMP a little limited is the text. The text manipulation functions are not as much as Photoshop or even some other less power freeware editor. I wish it as text warp function.

Other than that, I find this software powerful.

I especially like the 'tear off menus' function.

Btw, does anyone know exactly how does 'Hue' works in graphic editors? I only know it changes the colors when you change the values. But, I really don't know what principle it follows. If for brightness, I know when you increase the value, the picture will become brighter. For saturation, when you increase the value the colors will be stronger. But, I don't know how Hue works.

This is amazing. Going to test it out later when I have my GIMP with me. Haha, might not be amazing for seasoned graphic designer, but, it is to me.

Making glass ball.

http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/glass-...mp-t20533.html