Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Money Can't Buy Happiness, So Man Gives Away Every Penny of His £3 Million Fortune

Default Money Can't Buy Happiness, So Man Gives Away Every Penny of His £3 Million Fortune

Link to the article,

Money Can't Buy Happiness, So Man Gives Away Every Penny of His £3 Million Fortune

@ http://neatorama.cachefly.net/money-happiness.htm

Do you think the man is wise to give away all his money? Would you even dream of doing such a thing?
    Last edited by sowfoong; 02-10-10 at 09:53 PM.

He should give some to me.

He gets from one extreme to another extreme. Do everything in moderation lah. Give some to charity and leave some for himself.

But, then, they have welfare there, don't they? Like one comment said, he has a security net unlike most of us.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Being penniless doesn't equal happiness either, but maybe it'll make him realize just how good he had it.

He's truly an enlightened man.

It was not the state of 'penniless' that brought him happiness, but the state of being 'freed from the bondage of materialism' that bring him happiness.

I'd say, if he can do without his entire fortune and still have no regrets after doing it, then he had indeed broken from the bondage of materialism.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    Being penniless doesn't equal happiness either, but maybe it'll make him realize just how good he had it.
    I agree, having lots of money does not = happiness, but having an empty pocket also does not = happiness.

Pity I was nowhere near him to get some of the change.

Quote Originally Posted by tweety365 View Post
    I agree, having lots of money does not = happiness, but having an empty pocket also does not = happiness.

Pity I was nowhere near him to get some of the change.
    well, he had been a poor man before, so i think he would be the best judge of whether being penniless works for him or not.

given that, if it were me, i dont think i can survive without money. im rarely conscious of my expenditure, so i tend to spend alot (way more than i should) but being a lazy person, i rather overspent, than to buck up in my accounting skills.
    o wilku mowa...♪

i wish he gave me some of that. i just found out that my grandpa passed away a couple of hours ago, would be great to jump on a plane and go see my relatives in thailand right now.

money bring me happiness..
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

the cynic in me thinks he has a massive tax bill or he's getting divorced.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    He's truly an enlightened man.

It was not the state of 'penniless' that brought him happiness, but the state of being 'freed from the bondage of materialism' that bring him happiness.

I'd say, if he can do without his entire fortune and still have no regrets after doing it, then he had indeed broken from the bondage of materialism.
    Well we don't know if what he's planning to do will indeed bring him happiness. You don't have to give away everything you have to be freed from the bondage of materialism. Being truly freed from it is a state of mind. Check back with this guy in a few years after his plan has been completely executed.

well, he had been a poor man before, so i think he would be the best judge of whether being penniless works for him or not.
    But apparently he wasn't happy as a poor man either since he "thought that life would be wonderful if he had money." Since he's experienced both ends of the spectrum with similar results, you'd think he would have deducted that it's not having or not having money that is the primary determinant of his happiness.

No ammount of money can help anyone that insecure.

Sure dont worry about money.. but yer its all about the amount of benjamins you have or your bank balance. About a year ago, i was like yea i dont need alot of $$ but how wrong was i. In this society, u need deep pockets, who says otherwise are liars. Sure u can live at a farm if thats how u want to live your life.

Im big lights and cities and crowded areas. lol
    And with the personality i got being materialistic (sort-of), i need those green notes.

The other wk, my fnd was just saying its getting harder these days to date girls from uni, esp with no car and little $$ from causual work. So plan B was lets date school girls. They have less expectations. lol Its true. Btw im not old old. This yr might be a cheaper V-day.
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

Quote Originally Posted by sowfoong View Post
    Link to the article,

Money Can't Buy Happiness, So Man Gives Away Every Penny of His £3 Million Fortune

@ http://neatorama.cachefly.net/money-happiness.htm

Do you think the man is wise to give away all his money? Would you even dream of doing such a thing?

2yrs ago I literally gave away exactly $1200.00 to a work collague cos he said he had money troubles. It was a scam and he ran away never to be seen again. Every time i think about it, hurts me so deeply.

So yeah i gave money away and it bought me hatred. If i see him ever, ill smash his face, ok prob not.
    ~ I'm so awesome.. the greatest ever after Kobe!! ~
    ~ aka Mini T-mac here ~

should read the book "the geography of bliss" hehe
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Money is not everything, but the more I have is the better I feel. Money may not buy you happiness but life is suck if you are dirt poor.

Quote Originally Posted by GuGu View Post
    i wish he gave me some of that. i just found out that my grandpa passed away a couple of hours ago, would be great to jump on a plane and go see my relatives in thailand right now.
    I thought you are rich!!!!
    Changing car that had less than 20,000 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by milKBoi View Post
    2yrs ago I literally gave away exactly $1200.00 to a work collague cos he said he had money troubles. It was a scam and he ran away never to be seen again. Every time i think about it, hurts me so deeply.

So yeah i gave money away and it bought me hatred. If i see him ever, ill smash his face, ok prob not.
    My sympathies. He cheated more than just your money, which is why it hurts so bad.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge View Post
    Well we don't know if what he's planning to do will indeed bring him happiness. You don't have to give away everything you have to be freed from the bondage of materialism. Being truly freed from it is a state of mind. Check back with this guy in a few years after his plan has been completely executed.

But apparently he wasn't happy as a poor man either since he "thought that life would be wonderful if he had money." Since he's experienced both ends of the spectrum with similar results, you'd think he would have deducted that it's not having or not having money that is the primary determinant of his happiness.
    Well true, we don't know. so similarly, why do we all assume he's gonna have a miserable life just because hes back to pauper-hood? You don't have to give everything away to be freed from bondage of materialism, but if you're unable to give everything away, you're still to a certain extent bonded, because your state of mind still have attachment to things of the world. Even as I say that, I'm not saying it's a crime to have possession, so there is no need to be defensive about wanting to possess things. If you give everything and regret, yes, you still have not been released from that bondage.

He might be unhappy not because of money, but he mistakenly believe money could bring him happiness. When he had money, he realised his mistake ~ a person's mentally can change. He might appreciate poverty better now. Maybe.
    o wilku mowa...♪

Money can't buy happiness, that's why I don't give to charities. Don't want those poor people to be unhappy.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

He might appreciate poverty better now.
    Why would anyone appreciate poverty?

Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Money can't buy happiness, that's why I don't give to charities. Don't want those poor people to be unhappy.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩