Thread: The Final Combat and other TVB series

Default The Final Combat and other TVB series

hi, i am currently watching the final combat with stephen chow, its 89 tvb serial. was just wondering is this a made up story by tvb or is it a from a novel? they have a technique like in state of divinity when a guy learns it he becomes feminine and not need to castrate. so i was wondering if it had anything to do with any jin yong series?

i also got finish rewatching two honourable knights, i know tvb made one in the 70s, legendary siblings came out in 99, then handsome sibling came out in 2006 or so. all these had different story i was wondering didn't legendary siblings with jimmy and alec followed the main story more? how come other series didn't have that demon technique where you had to eat your own son, then whoever you eat you gain their energy etc?

and in legendary siblings series, i alway wonder what made it that the two main leads became so powerful? is it because their twins so they fight in synch with two different techniques something like jade maiden? i notice in gu long series he either focus alot on swordsmenship or chi level. in two honourable knights with tony n hugo, tony got strong after learning his uncle sword technique, which throughout the story he was weak, but once learning the sword technique he got strong to fight his brother. while his brother practise his whole life, but basically became almost on par with each other.

i'm just watching random series, then started to rewatch lofty waters verdant bow, then i remember china made like a sequel or something. i was wondering is this jin yong or gu long? does the main character use the 18 dragon palm or is it some other dragon palm? what is the main techniques that the main villain use played by eddie ko? the one he stole from michelles family.

and what time in the series does state of divinity takes place? is it years after heaven sword dragon sabre? i remember in hsds there was two main masters from hua shan, so i always assumed that they were the one who tried stealing the lotus stance from shaolin.

Jin Yong and Gu Long aren't the only authors of Wuxia Fiction.

Lofty Water Verdant Bow (TVB) is based on a novel written by Liang Yu Sheng, titled Wun Hoi Yuk Goong Yuen.

State of Divinity (Xiao Ao Jiang Hu) takes place during the Ming Dynasty. Probably many years or generations after HSDS.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

For Legendary Siblings, the the '99 one with Jimmy Lin and Alex Su was more accurate than the TVB one. But it is only more accurate when compared to the TVB version, it still changes a lot of things. Xiao Yu was weaker than Hua Wu Que because of two things, the first being that he was too lazy and arrogant to practice. Because he lived a somewhat sheltered life where no one but the Evils can hurt him (and they rarely do) he doesn't believe that there is anything that he cannot overcome with pure intelligence.

The second was because the Evils' martial arts were not really that strong, so technique wise he also lost out to HWQ. Throughout the story, he was shown to actually have progressed in his MA, while HWQ's progress more or less stood still.

XY actually boasted to YNT that he was holding out on each of his fights and thus he would have an advantage over HWQ, but this might just have been a boast.

Anyway the story is fully translated in the forum, so I suggest you go take a look at it. Don't feel like giving spoilers here.

As for '06 version, is this the one where Alec Su died early on and there was a Thai actor named Tae? If so, this is a completely made up sequel that was 'loosely' based on LS.
    Quote Originally Posted by remixedasian View Post
    6: Duan Yu is the greatest martial artist of all time

Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    For Legendary Siblings, the the '99 one with Jimmy Lin and Alex Su was more accurate than the TVB one. But it is only more accurate when compared to the TVB version, it still changes a lot of things. Xiao Yu was weaker than Hua Wu Que because of two things, the first being that he was too lazy and arrogant to practice. Because he lived a somewhat sheltered life where no one but the Evils can hurt him (and they rarely do) he doesn't believe that there is anything that he cannot overcome with pure intelligence.

The second was because the Evils' martial arts were not really that strong, so technique wise he also lost out to HWQ. Throughout the story, he was shown to actually have progressed in his MA, while HWQ's progress more or less stood still.

XY actually boasted to YNT that he was holding out on each of his fights and thus he would have an advantage over HWQ, but this might just have been a boast.

Anyway the story is fully translated in the forum, so I suggest you go take a look at it. Don't feel like giving spoilers here.

As for '06 version, is this the one where Alec Su died early on and there was a Thai actor named Tae? If so, this is a completely made up sequel that was 'loosely' based on LS.
    I think he's talking about the one with the way too old for this role Dicky Cheung and Nicholas Tse, which is totally out there on the far end of accuracy and closer to inaccuracy.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I think he's talking about the one with the way too old for this role Dicky Cheung and Nicholas Tse, which is totally out there on the far end of accuracy and closer to inaccuracy.
    Oh, I made it a point not to watch this version once I saw the cast despite loving the story. The short clip I saw merely hardened my position on it.

In fact, I managed to put this completely out of my mind and would have been happier that it had remained out

Quote Originally Posted by Mido-Ban View Post
    hi, i am currently watching the final combat with stephen chow, its 89 tvb serial. was just wondering is this a made up story by tvb or is it a from a novel? they have a technique like in state of divinity when a guy learns it he becomes feminine and not need to castrate. so i was wondering if it had anything to do with any jin yong series?
    I think this series is totally made up by TVB scripwriters while borrowing some ideas from various novels.

Oh, I made it a point not to watch this version once I saw the cast despite loving the story. The short clip I saw merely hardened my position on it.

In fact, I managed to put this completely out of my mind and would have been happier that it had remained out
    Actually, the first half way pretty good despite the changes in the plot. But, the second half way totally messed up. The ending was very bad imho. Wong Jing love killing off characters in his adaptations and focus everything on love love love.
    Last edited by kidd; 02-04-10 at 02:35 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    I think this series is totally made up by TVB scripwriters while borrowing some ideas from various novels.
    THE FINAL COMBAT played like a parody of wuxia to me. I never felt that this series really took itself seriously. Even its *seemingly* "serious" moments were just part of the setup for the inside joke.

Actually, the first half way pretty good despite the changes in the plot. But, the second half way totally messed up. The ending was very bad imho. JY love killing off characters in his adaptations and focus everything on love love love.
    I think you mean GL. And as for this being good in the first half, I will take your word for it and you may assume I hate it for the second half

The Final Combat was a parody of whatever the producers could get their hands on. There was like no serious moments that wasn't part of a joke.

I think you mean GL. And as for this being good in the first half, I will take your word for it and you may assume I hate it for the second half
    Sorry, I mean Wong Jing. He likes to kill off characters in his wuxia adaptations and focus a lot on love relationships.

Sorry, I mean Wong Jing. He likes to kill off characters in his wuxia adaptations and focus a lot on love relationships.
    That isn't a Wong Jing particularity; it's pretty much standard operating procedure in ALL Asian drama from time immemorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    That isn't a Wong Jing particularity; it's pretty much standard operating procedure in ALL Asian drama from time immemorial.
    But, Wong Jing's wuxia adaptation can rival Taiwan's wuxia adaptation. Have you seen any Wong Jing's wuxia adaptation done after year 2000? They made the ROCH romance tame in comparison.

Have you seen any Wong Jing's wuxia adaptation done after year 2000?
    *Points to self.*

Silly question.

They made the ROCH romance tame in comparison.
    Now that, I find hard to believe.

The Legendary Siblings translation is actually very entertaining and translated rather well (skill of translator and I think GL's novels translate to English easier). On personal preference level, I enjoyed TVB, thought Jimmy Lin (Taiwan) was closer, and could not watch Wong Jing version (I saw 2nd half for some reason) - do not recommend if you read or plan to read the novel.

When I first watched Final Combat I was too young to understand what a parody was. I was really confused and let down by the final battle scene where they just rolled around grappling using no martial arts whatsoever.

well currently rewatching state of divinity 96. i was wondering how come the old dude who taught linghu chong the 9 recluse stance, didn't just come out and stop ye bu qing from castration? or stop what happened in the fights in the cave later on, or when hua shan got attack by the sword sect of hua shan?

also anyone know if theres a series on him as well?

also the lotus stance, you had to castrate yourself to gain inner energy to use the technique? so reguardless of if you have strong inner energy and use the sword technique, it wouldn't be powerful bc you don't have the inner chi required to use the technique?

the lotus stance also came from shaolin/or palace, was it told how the sun/moon sect and shaolin got it?