• Yuan Chengzhi 袁承志 from Royal Blood Sword

4 28.57%
  • Hu Fei 胡斐 from the Flying Fox series

3 21.43%
  • Di Yun 狄雲 from A Deadly Secret

2 14.29%

Thread: Favorite main character in <4 book JY novels

Default Favorite main character in <4 book JY novels

Well, if I make a thread about "your fav main chracter" I'm pretty sure it'll by flooded with GJ, YG, XF etc...so let's shrink it down to the protagonists of the less famous novels.

I personally like Di Yun from A Deadly Secret the most, he was an innocent farm boy (unlike the tricky YG) and has the worse experience ever for having his fingers sliced off and bone penetrated (yeah even worse than those of YG's) without being emo with. Di Yun's childhood crush also married to the guy who perpetrated his imprisonment. His character development was great from being an innocent farm boy, to a victim who gets to taste the ugliness of humanity when he got imprisoned in a city, and finally a hero who doesn't want to get into a mess
    在下日月神教陸教主是也

I like Yuan Chengzhi and Hu Fei. In the epilogue of Outer Legend of the Flying Fox, Jin Yong listed Hu Fei first as his 5 favorite main characters.

Yuan Chengzhi is like Zhang Wuji without many of Zhang's flaws, which makes Yuan more boring and less human. But for early Jin Yong writing, Chengzhi is still quite likable.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I am yet to deeply explore those characters, but based on adaptations I would choose Yuan Chengzhi. He was so young yet, become so powerful.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

I picked Shi Potian because I don't know about the other characters.

Di Yun sounds like mutilated Chinese version of Count of Mount Cristo.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Yuan Chengzhi is like Zhang Wuji without many of Zhang's flaws, which makes Yuan more boring and less human. But for early Jin Yong writing, Chengzhi is still quite likable.
    Based on the latest edition of the Sword Stained, JY decided to turn YCZ into ZWJ by making him indecisive in his choice of love! Other than that, he was a typical guy with great skills.

CJL was a complete failed! He couldn't accomplished anything as the head of the Red Flower Society and failed miserably in his love affairs, broke the heart of one sister and caused the death of the other.

SPT was such a nice guy. I haven't finished reading the novel yet but from the first 10 chapters, his only flaw was that he was blindly in love with that Ding girl.

Didn't read Flying Fox but from the adaptation, HF seems like a very charismatic intelligent dude.

DY from a Deadly Secret probably had the worst kind of luck ever! Thankfully, JY did give him a happy ending.

So my pick goes to YCZ because the last adaptation I watched was pretty good.

My favourite is SPT because he's so nice and genuine and very kind hearted. He's like Hua Man Lou. He doesn't like to kill. Lastly, I like how he always sees people in a good light.

Hu Fei is also not bad. He has a great sense of right and wrong, but, a bit too rigid. He's also a very intelligent guy.
    Last edited by kidd; 02-10-10 at 11:36 PM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Loke-Gao-Zhu View Post
    I personally like Di Yun from A Deadly Secret the most, he was an innocent farm boy (unlike the tricky YG) and has the worse experience ever for having his fingers sliced off and bone penetrated (yeah even worse than those of YG's) without being emo with. Di Yun's childhood crush also married to the guy who perpetrated his imprisonment. His character development was great from being an innocent farm boy, to a victim who gets to taste the ugliness of humanity when he got imprisoned in a city, and finally a hero who doesn't want to get into a mess
    What I like about Di Yun is his determination. He's a pretty determined guy. He wasn't the brightest, but managed to master the Shen Zhaojing martial arts plus going through the whole adversity, through pure, sheer determination.
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    My favourite is SPT because he's so nice and genuine and very kind hearted. He's like Hua Man Lou. He doesn't like to kill. Lastly, I like how he always sees people in a good light.
    Kidd was always a big fan of SPT.

Can I safely say that he's your favourite Jin Yong protagonist of all?
    ..ext88

Quote Originally Posted by Extremer88 View Post
    Kidd was always a big fan of SPT.

Can I safely say that he's your favourite Jin Yong protagonist of all?
    That's true.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I choose Yuan Chengzhi.
    He is a great guy. I like everything about him except his feeling for the princess. I really like him when he with Qing Qing. Did he end up with her in the novel? He didn't in 1984 version with Felix Wong and Patricia Chong. I wish they are end up together in the novel. Qing Qing is one of my favorite female characters in wuxia.