Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: How is Life Over 30?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Reading? I seldom read when I was younger.
    Yes..I seldom read too when I was younger. The only books I've were text books from college and I learned a lot from it. Now, I read fanfics and original stories from different authors.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Spend a lot of time on my MacBook including, checking email, reading the news, surfing the web, playing old school games from game-oldies.com, posting and reading message from spcnet.tv. Beside MacBook, watching TV and tv serial, and running on treadmill.

What about you?
    I'm a laid back type of woman. I love to relax so I go to the coffee shop to read, surf the web, read and post messages on SPCNET and facebook, and/or finish client's photos. Sometimes I would draw. I would go on nature walk/hike and sometimes I would take my camera to capture anything interesting. I workout at the gym or else at home. Sometimes I would hang out with my old married friends to catch up on good times and drink wine. Oh, and babysit! If I don't do any of the above, then I babysit my niece and nephews.
    Sim neej aws...

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Ling View Post
    I think price of meat already triple but yes I did hear it will keep going up. Price of eggs also increased.
    Wow didn't realize it was that expensive to live in Vancouver.

What are you guys currently reading?
    Triple eh? I think everywhere the prices has increased for the past few years. Gas has been fluctuating where I'm living. Average price is around $2.25. One time it was $1.89 and I was jumping for joy!
    Sim neej aws...

Supposedly gas prices are going back up. Too bad I have no way to store gas. Maybe an oil future?

I'm a prolific reader. Just started reading a series of self published books "Epic" from Amazon. Often get the feeling that many amateur writers believe their RPG campaigns would make for a good story but they usually end up feeling very contrived. Not saying that I can do any better.

Over the last 6 month or so I've read the Remaining series (Remaining, Refugees, Fractured, Aftermath), Witcher (Baptism of Fire, Time of Contempt), Three (Dusk Walker Cycle), Brainrush (Brainrush , Enemy of my Enemy, Beyond Judgement), Penryn and the End of Days (Angelfall, World After), Spell or High Water (from Magic 2.0), Goddamned Freaky Monsters (from Tome of Bill), Imager Portfolio (everything except for Rex Regis), Super Powereds (Year1, Year 2), American Gods and Pathfinder.

In addition to keeping up to date on ST/CD translations and AMO2 here.

Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    Yes..I seldom read too when I was younger. The only books I've were text books from college and I learned a lot from it. Now, I read fanfics and original stories from different authors.

I'm a laid back type of woman. I love to relax so I go to the coffee shop to read, surf the web, read and post messages on SPCNET and facebook, and/or finish client's photos. Sometimes I would draw. I would go on nature walk/hike and sometimes I would take my camera to capture anything interesting. I workout at the gym or else at home. Sometimes I would hang out with my old married friends to catch up on good times and drink wine. Oh, and babysit! If I don't do any of the above, then I babysit my niece and nephews.
    Interesting life. Let's compare mine against yours.
    The only books I've were text books from college and I learned a lot from it: yes, me too. How's sad to think about it. Should have read more during that time.

Now, I read fanfics and original stories from different authors: I hardly read books by authors. Mainly online articles and newspapers.

I love to relax so I go to the coffee shop (hardly) to read, surf the web, read and post messages on SPCNET and facebook, and/or finish client's photos.

Sometimes I would draw. Art is the only subject which I constantly fail in school. LOL. Can't draw human beings and vegetables (is this form of art called "still life"?)

I would go on nature walk/hike and sometimes I would take my camera to capture anything interesting.
    Walking is my only exercise/hobby nowadays. I do it everybody for at least one hour.

I workout at the gym or else at home. No more.

Sometimes I would hang out with my old married friends to catch up on good times and drink wine. Seldom. The last may be two years ago.

Oh, and babysit! If I don't do any of the above, then I babysit my niece and nephews. Used to play with my nieces. Now all of them are grown up and they have your own lives. To them, I am an "old and unfashionable uncle" today. LOL
    Last edited by wkeej; 02-22-15 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skoo78 View Post
    Triple eh? I think everywhere the prices has increased for the past few years. Gas has been fluctuating where I'm living. Average price is around $2.25. One time it was $1.89 and I was jumping for joy!
    Sorry, I don't know if that is accurate or not but that is what my coworker was telling me and that price of eggs also has gone up because they cannot be in cages anymore. I read in the newspaper that meat is going up 20 cents each week because of cattle shortages.
    Gas was going down and I think its slowly going up again.

Baby sitting sounds fun. I used to be an in home tutor, it was fun working with the kids. Makes me happy when they are improving their grades. =)

Lately, I been reading about diabetes since my coworkers are older and some are diabetic. One lady started buying a lot of diabetic books so that is what I have been reading. I learn that grapefruit is bad for diabetics. They look at carbs the most.
    Before that I was reading the magician which is book 2 from the alchemist series. It's pretty good. Other than that I look for ghost stories and haunted places to read about =)

I used to be an in home tutor, it was fun working with the kids. Makes me happy when they are improving their grades. =)
    I guess I am not the only one here!

I guess I am not the only one here!
    What subject did you tutor? I tutored math =)
    spend so much money buying pencils and other cute prizes for the kids

What subject did you tutor? I tutored math =)
    spend so much money buying pencils and other cute prizes for the kids
    I am doing in-home math tutoring full time and intend to stay that way for life. I tutor math only. Most of my students are in high school but I can tutor elementary school math to some university math. Wow, we are such a perfect match . I live in Greater Toronto Area and very likely that I will move to Greater Vancouver Area in the summer. Where do you live? Are you Teochew Chinese ?

I am doing in-home math tutoring full time and intend to stay that way for life. I tutor math only. Most of my students are in high school but I can tutor elementary school math to some university math. Wow, we are such a perfect match . I live in Greater Toronto Area and very likely that I will move to Greater Vancouver Area in the summer. Where do you live? Are you Teochew Chinese ?
    Sounds fun =) I only tutored pre-algebra, algebra, algebra two and trigonometry in the past. I'm glad you like what you do. I always hear a lot of ppl complain about how much they hate their job. Me in California. I'm actually going to Vancouver in May. I heard a lot theres lots of good food in Richmond. Lol as one gets older, one tends to travel more =)

Sounds fun =) I only tutored pre-algebra, algebra, algebra two and trigonometry in the past. I'm glad you like what you do. I always hear a lot of ppl complain about how much they hate their job. Me in California. I'm actually going to Vancouver in May. I heard a lot theres lots of good food in Richmond. Lol as one gets older, one tends to travel more =)
    Cool. California is great. You live in LA? I have family friend living there. You go to Vancouver in May ?. I plan to move there in July. I guess I could not be your tour guide .
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 02-28-15 at 04:26 PM.

awww maybe next time, one day I do wish to visit Toronto. I visited nova scotia and love it =)
    Moving for new job? isn't housing in Vancouver very expensive?
    yes from la

awww maybe next time, one day I do wish to visit Toronto. I visited nova scotia and love it =)
    Moving for new job? isn't housing in Vancouver very expensive?
    yes from la
    Housing in Vancouver is very expensive, it's second most unaffordable in the world after Hong Kong. However, I won't live in Vancouver when I move there. I plan to live in Surrey or Langley (about 50 km from Vancouver) which is not that expensive. I plan to just share a room so it's only about $500-$600 per month. I intend to keep doing in-home math tutoring, something I enjoy to do. If I earn good money, I plan to eventually buy a small house when the market crash just like it did in US during 2008 . I plan to move in July this year. Yeah, may be next time when you visit where I live, I can be your tour guide

Sounds good, good way to help people.
    I think at 30, I'm attend more and more weddings ^_^

Sounds good, good way to help people.
    I think at 30, I'm attend more and more weddings ^_^
    At 36, I am pretty much the only one that is still single. Pretty much all my cousins who are my age and younger than me are either married or in a relationship.

Aw, at least you can travel more =)

Aw, at least you can travel more =)
    I can but I don't. I want to save up as much as I could so I can buy a decent house in the future when the price is right.

When you get your house, don't forget to invite us to housewarming party =)

When you get your house, don't forget to invite us to housewarming party =)
    Of course. How about you? Do you still tutor math? If not, what are you doing now? Are you also single? What Chinese dialect do you speak? I speak Teochew dialect only.
    At the moment, my main plan is moving to BC to start a new life.

I used to tutor math, not anymore. I think tutoring here is different because you don't get pay that much and sometimes depending on where you are assign, you have to drive really far and it depends on how much hours you are given. Its more of a part time job I guess. But one day I would like to work with kids again =)
    Currently I'm a lab technician, its okay I guess.
    You mention you are moving in july I think? so you are getting closer to your plan =)

I used to tutor math, not anymore. I think tutoring here is different because you don't get pay that much and sometimes depending on where you are assign, you have to drive really far and it depends on how much hours you are given. Its more of a part time job I guess. But one day I would like to work with kids again =)
    Currently I'm a lab technician, its okay I guess.
    You mention you are moving in july I think? so you are getting closer to your plan =)
    Did you work for the tutoring agency? or on your own? Well, if you worked for the agency then they make most of the money and pay you little. However, if you are on your own, then you earn a decent amount. Here, my rate is $30/hour. Yeah, it take time to travel from house to house and it's not great but it's decent. It's more than enough for simple life. If you like to work as a math tutor again, I can show you how to get the students on your own. Yeah, I plan to move on July and looking forward to a new life.