Thread: Jin Yong's praises of high level exponents

Default Jin Yong's praises of high level exponents

I've always enjoyed Jin Yong's various descriptions praising one's attainment in martial arts. This thread attempts to collect the best of those praises, many of which can be used as a template for fan fiction and parody (as we did in the Ultimate RPG). Please contribute to the collection.

Here are a few to get started:

1. Even if [PERSON A] returned from the tomb, or if [PERSON B] [DID SOMETHING], they would nevertheless be extremely pleased to meet a foe such as [PERSON C].

2. Although it cannot be foretold that he will never be surpassed in the future, it is indeed true that he had no equal in the history of the past.

3. Judging by the [GREAT NOUN 1] and [GREAT NOUN 2] of his [ACTION], there is no doubt that this man/woman has reached the peak of perfection in the field of [MARTIAL ARTS].

4. [PERSON] has reached the level of being able to accomplish any task as his heart desires, and cannot be put into a disadvantageous situation.

{this one isn't so much a praise as an expression}
    5. In this split second, tens of thousands of thoughts emerged in his mind: Who am I? Where do I come from? Who was my mother-in-law? Do I like guys or girls? What was my email address? Why am I in a bathtub? An infinite number of thoughts flooded his brain.

6. His martial arts are so great, very few people in the world can withstand 3 of his stances.
    Last edited by PJ; 02-13-10 at 04:22 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Who was #6? One of the Ah's? Invincible Fist Gui? Feels familiar but can't put a name to it.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post

4. [PERSON] has reached the level of being able to accomplish any task as his heart desires, and cannot be put into a disadvantageous situation.
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://farm1.static.flickr.com/169/421008297_4809bd7b35.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Who was #6? One of the Ah's? Invincible Fist Gui? Feels familiar but can't put a name to it.
    I think it might have been used to describe more than one person. The one that inspired me is indeed about Ah Er.

7. [PERSON A] gently placed his hand on [PERSON B]'s shoulder. [PERSON B] instantly felt thousands of catties of weight crushing down on him.

Can you also provide the names? The context of the statement would help alot. I'm sure everyone here will know where to replace the names when they come to use it so you don't need to separate names.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Can you also provide the names?
    Some of the praises were recycled for multiple characters. By the way, the more you can identify the characters for each the praise, the more attentive you have been with your reading!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    2. Although it cannot be foretold that he will never be surpassed in the future, it is indeed true that he had no equal in the history of the past.
    I know this is about Shi Potian, but where exactly was this passage ? And do we consider this hyperbole or a canonical statement by JY? It seems pretty cut and dry that he is definitively saying Shi is greater than anyone in the past...even Sweeper.

I know this is about Shi Potian, but where exactly was this passage ? And do we consider this hyperbole or a canonical statement by JY? It seems pretty cut and dry that he is definitively saying Shi is greater than anyone in the past...even Sweeper.
    We cannot assume JY's stories are in the same wuxia universe. With exception to the Trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by flamer View Post
    We cannot assume JY's stories are in the same wuxia universe. With exception to the Trilogy.
    You bring up an interesting thought.

DGSD is definitely in a timeline with the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY. Kiu Fung is explicitly mentioned in LOCH, and South Emperor Deun Chi Hing is the grandson of Prince Deun Yu from DGSD. DGSD martial arts Hong Lung 18 Palms and 1 Yeung Finger Technique also appear extensively in the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY.

DGSD is definitely also in a timeline with SPW; variations of Siu Yiu Sect's martial arts and Shaolin's Yik Gun Ging appear in SPW, but the Yik Gun Ging from SPW seems quite different in many ways from the Yik Gun Ging of DGSD.

Is SPW in a timeline with the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY? Well, it's hard to say. On the one hand, the Mo Dong Sect and Ngor Mei Sect appear in SPW, but there's no mention of Cheung 3 Fung, the Mo Dong 7 Heroes, Cheung Mo Gei, Gwok Seung, Mit Jeut See Tai, Chow Chi Yerk, etc., so who knows if they're even the *same* Mo Dong Sect or Ngor Mei Sect? Furthermore, Dook Goo Kau Bai's martial arts show up in ROCH and SPW, but the character of Dook Goo 9 Swords is so completely different from Heavy Iron Sword that you wonder if it's the same Dook Goo Kau Bai as well.

Actually, it was a description of Golden Wheel Monk:
    那金轮法王实是个不世的奇才,潜修苦学,进境奇速,竟尔冲破第九层难关,此时已到第十层的境界,当真是震古 烁今,虽不能说后无来者,却确已前无古人

I think it just means that GWM has reached a new height in Dragon Elephant Prajna art that no one has in the past.

With Shi Potian, I think the praise was a little different.

Ahh that makes more sense.

With Shi I think it was something along the lines of few people have reached his level in history iirc.

Ken, in SPW Zhang Sanfeng's name was mentioned when they talk about the prized sword of Wudang.

Zhang SanFeng was mentioned in Ode to Gallantry, when Bai Zizai was in one of his mental raves in the dungeon.