+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Bodyguards and Assassins

  1. #1
    Moderator Han Solo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    5,562

    Default Bodyguards and Assassins

    Just watched this all cast movie that depicts a Qing Dynasty plot to assassinate Sun Yat Seng in early 20th century HK.

    What do you all think of this movie?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyguards_and_Assassins

    Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

    Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

  2. #2
    Senior Member Surferket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,476

    Default

    Donnie Yen died an unnecessary death.

    Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Just watched this all cast movie that depicts a Qing Dynasty plot to assassinate Sun Yat Seng in early 20th century HK.

    What do you all think of this movie?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyguards_and_Assassins

    Han Solo

  3. #3
    Senior Member shellie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surferket View Post
    Donnie Yen died an unnecessary death.
    you don't say! i was like "c'mon!" what a waste! then it was leon's turn to fight and i was like, spare me! otherwise, it was an enjoyable movie.
    ---------
    Shellie

  4. #4
    Senior Member rosely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    heaven in the middle of somewhere...
    Posts
    366

    Default

    My thoughts on this movie:

    "Running, Dying & Crying"

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,743

    Default

    Leon (Master Liu) should have a fight with the baddie.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,743

    Default

    Leon (Master Liu) should have a fight with the baddie.

  7. #7
    Senior Member charbydis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    White Camel Mountain
    Posts
    4,966

    Default

    Sometimes I think if there was a mass fights it would be more great!

    There are too many characters with some development but feeling a bit too crammed in the time for a movie. Couldn't connect with all of them. Out of all, I only liked the son and the main villian (surprise , I'm a villian-lover). Others were a bit distant to me - felt indifferent to some of the people dying.

    Really liked the brutal fight between Donnie and Cung Le, but wished he fought more. Maybe if Donnie took on the people that Leon took on was better. Leon seemed really out of place with his showy martial arts - a bit too wuxia in a realistic setting. Hated Leon - too much crying.

    The thing I really felt disappointed was that the main baddie did not fight a good one on one with anyone that was healthy/uninjured/skilled. It was sort of anti-climax thought felt with drama and emotion. Imagine if Donnie fought the main villian! Great stuff but it never happened. Nic and the main villian is really lame pick out.

    In the end, only one question remained. If China had so many skilled assassins, why on earth did they lose the wars? Just send them to assassinate everyone. What a waste of resources.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    The thing I really felt disappointed was that the main baddie did not fight a good one on one with anyone that was healthy/uninjured/skilled. It was sort of anti-climax thought felt with drama and emotion. Imagine if Donnie fought the main villian! Great stuff but it never happened. Nic and the main villian is really lame pick out.
    Yeah, I agree with that completely.

    click to show/hide spoilers

    Hu Jun looked awesome, but the only people who could possibly have given him a decent workout were Donnie, Mengke, Leon, and maybe Simon and Li Yuchun (although I suspect those last two weren't quite as accomplished as the former three). In the end he walked over a Leon who could barely stand, collided with Donnie and lost his horse, while Mengke, Simon and Li all died at the hands of kelefes. Finally, he gets shot by a Tony Leung who can barely see without his glasses, which was horribly anti-climatic, and he dies without even knowing that he had failed in his mission. It was quite a sad ending for a character with so much promise - he deserved better.


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,743

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charbydis View Post
    In the end, only one question remained. If China had so many skilled assassins, why on earth did they lose the wars? Just send them to assassinate everyone. What a waste of resources.
    Assassins used swords, knives, sticks. Western powers used guns, rifles, cannons. Two shots from an unskilled kungfu person killed a highly skilled big sabre baddie.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,338

    Default

    The assassins weren't really that skilled either, just that the bodyguards, with a handful of exceptions, really weren't fighters at all.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ByTmE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    District of Columbia
    Posts
    962

    Default

    I watched it and then the next day my brother asked me how it was. I was unable to immediately recall it. Well, that's not good. I remember...Li Yuchun looks like a boy, and not a cute one either. I esp hate homeless lookin' and stubborn cross dressing characters. Hmmm that Tofu guy was really REALLY big. Hu Jun was friggin' scary lookin' n he had the funniest look on his face when his horse and Donnie collided. LoL. Michelle Reis cameo was unnecessary but she's still beautiful, so I guess that's OK. Leon Lai was actually kinda cool 'cept I don't believe he can fight. But his weapon of choice is cool! I usually avoid everything Nic Tse is in but this was his best role ever! I cried for him only.

    Donnie's daughter in the movie was SUPER ADORABLE!! I want to rent a baby too! I watched it because I'm also a Zhang Hanyu fan...but all I could recognize about him was his voice...that's not his face plastered onto his neck.
    I like me.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7

    Default

    i think Nicholas Tse is outstanding in this movie.

  13. #13
    Member leorio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    173

    Default

    To me it's the sort of movie where you have to like the characters, otherwise you'd be bored or find the movie bland.

    Do I like the characters? I do, actually. The drama part is handled well. The scene where Donnie runs alongside Fan Bingbing and the little girl is very touching. Nic manages to shed off his bad boy image and makes a believable devoted, if not very bright, servant. Chris is very much okay for a newcomer.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Ian Liew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    2,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I watched it and then the next day my brother asked me how it was. I was unable to immediately recall it. Well, that's not good. I remember...Li Yuchun looks like a boy, and not a cute one either. I esp hate homeless lookin' and stubborn cross dressing characters. Hmmm that Tofu guy was really REALLY big. Hu Jun was friggin' scary lookin' n he had the funniest look on his face when his horse and Donnie collided. LoL. Michelle Reis cameo was unnecessary but she's still beautiful, so I guess that's OK. Leon Lai was actually kinda cool 'cept I don't believe he can fight. But his weapon of choice is cool! I usually avoid everything Nic Tse is in but this was his best role ever! I cried for him only.

    Donnie's daughter in the movie was SUPER ADORABLE!! I want to rent a baby too! I watched it because I'm also a Zhang Hanyu fan...but all I could recognize about him was his voice...that's not his face plastered onto his neck.
    I found Li Yuchun quite likeable. She wasn't beautiful at all the way she was dressed up, but she wasn't really meant to be. Mengke Bateer (tofu) was awesome, and the way he used his basketball moves in the movie was funny. I really liked Nicholas in this too. My wife and I don't normally like him (although he did grow on me in Rinsing Flowers Purifying Sword), and have always regarded him as riding on his father's fame and influence, but here he really shone. Ironic that all his suave, handsome roles are relegated behind the one role which was meant to have him less physically appealing.

  15. #15
    Senior Member odbayarb2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Hidden Mountains
    Posts
    646

    Default

    I quite liked the movie. Specially, Leon Lai's story and his scenes. I think Michelle Reis's cameo was necessary, if you seen the Fallen Angels.in Fallen Angel, she is the other half the Leon Lai. They are compliment to each other. Her cameo, made Leon's story full in much more broader sense.

    Overall the movie was pretty tense and well-handled. But why Donnie Yen didn't shave his head, his fake bald head kind of turned off his character. If he really went to the lengths and shaved his head, he had more chances to convince the audience that he can really act. But he get slip it by.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!


  16. #16
    Senior Member ByTmE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    District of Columbia
    Posts
    962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    I really liked Nicholas in this too. My wife and I don't normally like him (although he did grow on me in Rinsing Flowers Purifying Sword), and have always regarded him as riding on his father's fame and influence, but here he really shone. Ironic that all his suave, handsome roles are relegated behind the one role which was meant to have him less physically appealing.
    Yes. [nods] YES! [nods again] hahaha I think Nicholas Tse should really focus on "character" roles rather than "cool" roles. Admittedly, he's quite suave looking, everyone in my family thinks so...however, I just hate that he usually just has a singular look on his face throughout an entire movie. I remember back in the day when he was in "Time and Tide" and played a bumbling bodyguard wannabe- he was so funny!

    I overlooked Rinsing Flowers Purifying Sword because...well it was him. As for Li Yu Chun...I admit it, I'm just prejudiced. Her character was quite tragic [but not weak], I just didn't like looking at her.
    I like me.

  17. #17
    Senior Member ByTmE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    District of Columbia
    Posts
    962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    Overall the movie was pretty tense and well-handled. But why Donnie Yen didn't shave his head, his fake bald head kind of turned off his character. If he really went to the lengths and shaved his head, he had more chances to convince the audience that he can really act. But he get slip it by.
    HAHA! I was distracted by Donnie's head too. Maybe he's too worried that his hair won't grow back fully? He is...middle aged?
    I like me.

Similar Threads

  1. Bodyguards-Jade Dolls
    By CDonC in forum Taiwanese TV Series
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-30-08, 09:04 AM
  2. Ten Assassins 十大刺客
    By JourneytoThreeKingdoms in forum ATV TV Series
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-11-08, 04:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts