Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Concerns

Quote Originally Posted by xJadedx View Post
    You may want to consider changing your field then. University will be a pretty awful experience if you don't enjoy what you're learning.

Not that many concerns right now, though I do have a lot of work to do, and keep getting more.
    actually i dont particularly enjoy all the workload universtity was giving me (as it is, most engineering students should agree with me that uni workload is HELL) but i still like my uni days...

i missed the school-clubs, the fun hanging up with friends, the camping overnight on school campus under pretext of group-studies but really just ended up playing counterstrike....

so if one is ever in one of those 'hellish-course' then its expected to be highly stressed.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    actually i dont particularly enjoy all the workload universtity was giving me (as it is, most engineering students should agree with me that uni workload is HELL) but i still like my uni days...

i missed the school-clubs, the fun hanging up with friends, the camping overnight on school campus under pretext of group-studies but really just ended up playing counterstrike....

so if one is ever in one of those 'hellish-course' then its expected to be highly stressed.
    LOL my course is an engineering course, in computer related fields. I only like doing the maths subjects. (I like maths haha) Well pretty much I can handle most things EXCEPT for programming. OMG I suck at that so bad and hate it so much. All those stupid codes etc. That is contributing most to my stress and concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by chibidaisuke View Post
    LOL my course is an engineering course, in computer related fields. I only like doing the maths subjects. (I like maths haha) Well pretty much I can handle most things EXCEPT for programming. OMG I suck at that so bad and hate it so much. All those stupid codes etc. That is contributing most to my stress and concerns.
    ^__^ so it's reasonable to face 'tremendous' stress because the nature of the course you took. just like how some of us choose a highly 'stressed' profession but on the whole will still go for it given a second chance.

programming is tricky, because comps are terribly dumb. =p my experience with coding is that, you spend 15 minutes writing the program and days and days of trying to debug it cos it refused to run the way you expected it to.

and hell i never like programming, it's way too dry ~ so i didnt pick computer-related engineering. besides im not exactly in favor of rotting behind the desk all day long ~ i like to see something more physical.
    o wilku mowa...♪

I am concerned about a great number of things though it's not always evident to the people around me, sometimes not even to myself. Let's see, I'm concerned with:

- getting good grades in my current courses
    - appearing uninformed in front of my classmates though I am, in fact, uninformed
    - my cute clothes which don't fit quite so cutely anymore
    - my failure to reach out to my spirit guide
    - my brother who is a 7th year senior and how he will enter the job market in this economy
    - my parents' mental health because they worry about my 7th year student brother
    - my international PhD student classmate who has trouble with English
    - my study buddy, who is a pretty girl, but has terrible acne
    - Cambodia being destroyed by the governments' "land reforms"
    - If the USA will forgive Cambodia for it's loans under Lon Nol
    - the potential withdrawal of civil society organizations from Cambodia because of the government's politically driven transparency policies
    - the state of Cambodia in 15 years after the government and domestic and global markets has collapsed

Those are all the ones that I can immediately think of off the top of my head. Some of them have nothing to do with me personally, and I don't know why I'm concerned with them... I consider myself a very fortunate human being that my concerns could be so [for the most part] trivial haha

Thank goodness.
    Last edited by ByTmE; 10-02-10 at 01:54 AM.
    I like me.

^__^ so it's reasonable to face 'tremendous' stress because the nature of the course you took. just like how some of us choose a highly 'stressed' profession but on the whole will still go for it given a second chance.

programming is tricky, because comps are terribly dumb. =p my experience with coding is that, you spend 15 minutes writing the program and days and days of trying to debug it cos it refused to run the way you expected it to.

and hell i never like programming, it's way too dry ~ so i didnt pick computer-related engineering. besides im not exactly in favor of rotting behind the desk all day long ~ i like to see something more physical.
    That's why I hate programming LOL. It's just so time consuming to just get the program to run the way you want it to be whilst I have other subjects to study for too. One needs to be one hell of a logical thinker. Picture wasting an entire day just to try to get a part of your program to work and ending up neglecting other subjects. I'd probably just change to civil engineering soon.

That's why I hate programming LOL. It's just so time consuming to just get the program to run the way you want it to be whilst I have other subjects to study for too. One needs to be one hell of a logical thinker. Picture wasting an entire day just to try to get a part of your program to work and ending up neglecting other subjects. I'd probably just change to civil engineering soon.
    Probably a better choice; as long as you don't have fear of heights or weather conditions that may get extreme.
    o wilku mowa...♪

Probably a better choice; as long as you don't have fear of heights or weather conditions that may get extreme.
    Haha yeah it could be a better choice for someone who sucks at programming, although I do kinda have a fear of heights. Another possible scary aspect is probably how minor mistakes might cause fatalities.

Haha yeah it could be a better choice for someone who sucks at programming, although I do kinda have a fear of heights. Another possible scary aspect is probably how minor mistakes might cause fatalities.
    most engineering (apart from computer-related types) does have a chance of being stationed on site, whereby there are cases where you would really need to physically be present in high areas. the chance of being in such is higher in civil engineering considering that you may have to survey on site high-rise buildings perhaps. =p

so is marine engineering (which im in) and part of the job does have you going up and down the vessel ~
    o wilku mowa...♪

most engineering (apart from computer-related types) does have a chance of being stationed on site, whereby there are cases where you would really need to physically be present in high areas. the chance of being in such is higher in civil engineering considering that you may have to survey on site high-rise buildings perhaps. =p

so is marine engineering (which im in) and part of the job does have you going up and down the vessel ~
    Yeah, civil engineering does indeed sound like a higher involvement of being in areas which involve height which to me is kinda somewhat scary LOL. I hope I don't have an accident and fall off and lose my life in the process if I become one in the future. LOL do you ever get to go out to the ocean as a marine engineer?

Yeah, civil engineering does indeed sound like a higher involvement of being in areas which involve height which to me is kinda somewhat scary LOL. I hope I don't have an accident and fall off and lose my life in the process if I become one in the future. LOL do you ever get to go out to the ocean as a marine engineer?
    im land-based; working in a shipyard. not that it couldnt happen, and i have colleagues who were posted to 'inspect' vessels that are in operation, but so far my assignments are not too far out into the deep waters.
    o wilku mowa...♪

im land-based; working in a shipyard. not that it couldnt happen, and i have colleagues who were posted to 'inspect' vessels that are in operation, but so far my assignments are not too far out into the deep waters.
    It'd be a lot more fun if you could somehow be assigned to tasks which involved out in the waters I reckon.
    But then any engineering is probably more fun than computer engineering. Damn why did I choose computer in the first place.

It'd be a lot more fun if you could somehow be assigned to tasks which involved out in the waters I reckon.
    But then any engineering is probably more fun than computer engineering. Damn why did I choose computer in the first place.
    unless im a sailor. =p but its tough life y'know. they work 24/7 for months but then get months of day-offs. but im not that experienced to warrant jobs like that also ^_~ we take whatever it comes. two, there are some vessels who don't really want ladies sailing with them either (matter of conviniences actually...not every vessel has facilities catered for women too)

don't be fooled by the 'adventures'; it's seriously tiring. what you might prefer is probably working on some cruise ship, as part of the employee, but not the crew that maintained the vessel. that might be easier.

besides i can always go on holidays on ships on my own ~ better because they aren't for work. ^___^
    Last edited by Lucre; 10-03-10 at 06:52 PM.
    o wilku mowa...♪

unless im a sailor. =p but its tough life y'know. they work 24/7 for months but then get months of day-offs. but im not that experienced to warrant jobs like that also ^_~ we take whatever it comes. two, there are some vessels who don't really want ladies sailing with them either (matter of conviniences actually...not every vessel has facilities catered for women too)

don't be fooled by the 'adventures'; it's seriously tiring. what you might prefer is probably working on some cruise ship, as part of the employee, but not the crew that maintained the vessel. that might be easier.

besides i can always go on holidays on ships on my own ~ better because they aren't for work. ^___^
    Haha true that even if you get to go out on the adventures but as a maintenance crew you won't get to enjoy it anyway. You'd probably be busy racking your brain on maintenance problems most of the time.
    But the prospect of working almost 24/7 is not very appealing either. I'd probably won't be handle the stress that comes to it even though the months of breaks do seem appealing.

Btw how did you find programming when you did it? I don't know for me it's really hard to fully grasp all those codes and the logics behind it(funny how I don't struggle with maths logics though). While quite a lot of people seem to be really really pro programmers. Total freaks at it.

Haha true that even if you get to go out on the adventures but as a maintenance crew you won't get to enjoy it anyway. You'd probably be busy racking your brain on maintenance problems most of the time.
    But the prospect of working almost 24/7 is not very appealing either. I'd probably won't be handle the stress that comes to it even though the months of breaks do seem appealing.

Btw how did you find programming when you did it? I don't know for me it's really hard to fully grasp all those codes and the logics behind it(funny how I don't struggle with maths logics though). While quite a lot of people seem to be really really pro programmers. Total freaks at it.
    programming is a must-have for all engineering students, but the difference being, we probably don't have to do as much as you guys. my experience with it is that, its HORRIBLE.

i don't like to go through it, and because i usually have difficulties figuring which part went wrong, and having to look at those senseless codes for hours (nothing exciting furthermore) only to find out much much later that its one stupid thing usually.

there are a few weirdos out there who love this...im not one of them.
    o wilku mowa...♪

programming is a must-have for all engineering students, but the difference being, we probably don't have to do as much as you guys. my experience with it is that, its HORRIBLE.

i don't like to go through it, and because i usually have difficulties figuring which part went wrong, and having to look at those senseless codes for hours (nothing exciting furthermore) only to find out much much later that its one stupid thing usually.

there are a few weirdos out there who love this...im not one of them.
    At least you understand the codes and the concepts behind it etc lol . I have trouble even just understanding it. Ever since I fell asleep on one of the programming lectures I have fallen behind ever since and have not been able to catch up.

At least you understand the codes and the concepts behind it etc lol . I have trouble even just understanding it. Ever since I fell asleep on one of the programming lectures I have fallen behind ever since and have not been able to catch up.
    i fall asleep in many lectures actually ~ and programming ones are worse...the lecturer didnt really seem like teaching either and everyone's just playing games behind the pc terminal. =D when i have to do my assignment i tried to copy whatever i can from the textbook and try to make it work.

to which copying from textbook was the fast part. the problem is always that textbook didnt fully prepare me that the computer is beyond my imagination DUMB!!! ughh.
    o wilku mowa...♪

i fall asleep in many lectures actually ~ and programming ones are worse...the lecturer didnt really seem like teaching either and everyone's just playing games behind the pc terminal. =D when i have to do my assignment i tried to copy whatever i can from the textbook and try to make it work.

to which copying from textbook was the fast part. the problem is always that textbook didnt fully prepare me that the computer is beyond my imagination DUMB!!! ughh.
    I have to say that academic textbooks on programming tend to be terrible. It seems like authors are part of some conspiracy that never gives fully functioning code or always leaves parts out as "an exercise for the reader". This has probably changed in recent years or at least the professional programming books are much better.

Programming is much easier these days thanks to google and better IDE (integrated Development Environments) that check for syntax, match parenthesis, interactive debug, etc. I've lost many an hour in my youth just trying to compile programs because I typed a "1" vs. "l" or some equally inane mistake. Managed memory probably helped too since you no longer have to worry about some pointer poking holes in memory and corrupting the operating system.

If I had to give one piece of advice to people who are beginning to program, it would be to place print statements liberally in the code to make sure that you are getting the results you expect at every stage. That or learn how to use the debugger... but that becomes tricky with UI and/or multi-threaded code.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    I have to say that academic textbooks on programming tend to be terrible. It seems like authors are part of some conspiracy that never gives fully functioning code or always leaves parts out as "an exercise for the reader". This has probably changed in recent years or at least the professional programming books are much better.

Programming is much easier these days thanks to google and better IDE (integrated Development Environments) that check for syntax, match parenthesis, interactive debug, etc. I've lost many an hour in my youth just trying to compile programs because I typed a "1" vs. "l" or some equally inane mistake. Managed memory probably helped too since you no longer have to worry about some pointer poking holes in memory and corrupting the operating system.

If I had to give one piece of advice to people who are beginning to program, it would be to place print statements liberally in the code to make sure that you are getting the results you expect at every stage. That or learn how to use the debugger... but that becomes tricky with UI and/or multi-threaded code.
    programming is seriously not my game. im glad i dont have to deal with it anymore.

i didnt have the passion to improve this skill of mine either. no its not even a skill, just a phase in life where i have to go through. eeek.
    o wilku mowa...♪

Quote Originally Posted by darkcser View Post
    I have to say that academic textbooks on programming tend to be terrible.
    Not just programming books. IMO, most academic textbooks are rubbish. They are boring and unengaging. The writer did not care about the reader enough.

I've read enough to know that technical books don't have to be boring. The authors who wrote those sleep-inducing academic textbooks just suck at writing.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I would rather do programming than trying to figure why the network won't work the way it's supposed to be after you set everything right and it works on one IP and not another and it works on 1 PC and not the other.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-15-10 at 11:17 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩