Thread: Times when wuxia heroes actually finished a meal at a restaurant in peace...?

Default Times when wuxia heroes actually finished a meal at a restaurant in peace...?

One of the running jokes in LUK SIU FUNG: THE DUEL was that every time that Luk Siu Fung went into the Chun Hua Restaurant in Beijing, he could never really just enjoy a meal there without being attacked or witnessing a fight.

In fact, that happens to most wuxia characters when they visit restaurants. Can you think of a single occasion in wuxia fiction wherein a character is able to finish a meal unmolested at a restaurant and not get involved in any violence until at least a few hours later?

When ZWJ and ZM met up at the bar/restaurant (well on one occasion I think he slapped her) they usually lasted thru the meal.

When Yang Guo first left the mountain to search for Xiao Long Nu.
    He... himself ate in peace... while spying on the two priests who got an ear each cut off by the "girl in whilte".

He burgled their rooms several hours later... but actual violence did not take place until after the noon hour the next day.

If I were to write a parody of wuxia, one of the things I'd write is long scenes where the hero just eats at a restaurant without anything substantial happening.

Of course, by then the reader might have fallen asleep, which is probably why the wuxia writers never wrote a restaurant scene unless some action was going to take place there.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

What about when GJ initially met HR?

I wouldn't call HR's entrance as peaceful, but GJ did have a pretty good meal in peace. The readers were kept entertained by HR/JY's knowledge of good southern cuisine. In fact I might revisit those few paragraphs.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

Has there ever been a time, during an important event or scene, where one person just goes. 'Yo, hold that thought, I gotta take a dump' without have their food or drink spiked.

Quote Originally Posted by Banh Mi View Post
    Has there ever been a time, during an important event or scene, where one person just goes. 'Yo, hold that thought, I gotta take a dump' without have their food or drink spiked.
    Yeung Gor played the "I need to take a dump" card a few times to get out of trouble.

Surprisingly, it worked.

I think the most success-yielding trick in Jin Yong universe might be the "Look Behind You!" trick (and smack them while they look behind). I was surprised at how often Jin Yong employed this tactic, and people seem to always fall for it. Cheap Little Timeless Trick.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I think the most success-yielding trick in Jin Yong universe might be the "Look Behind You!" trick (and smack them while they look behind). I was surprised at how often Jin Yong employed this tactic, and people seem to always fall for it. Cheap Little Timeless Trick.
    It sort of works even in real life, but you have to be a *very* fast runner to really capitalize on it.