Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hobbies

In my spare time I usually watch anime, read manga, play games, read and watch wuxia, hang around at Spcnet. I need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by chibidaisuke View Post
    In my spare time I usually watch anime, read manga, play games, read and watch wuxia, hang around at Spcnet. I need to get out more.
    i think im doing exactly what you're doing most of the time. =p

if i knocked off from work, i'll go back home, switch on the comp ~ scout spcnet, sometimes read manga from online ~ play dvds (i am fond of wuxia genre) ~

when i got older i realised i have less energy to get out. strange that i'll jump at the chance of an outing when i was still in school. these days im conserving energy - after all worked had drained me significantly!
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    i think im doing exactly what you're doing most of the time. =p

if i knocked off from work, i'll go back home, switch on the comp ~ scout spcnet, sometimes read manga from online ~ play dvds (i am fond of wuxia genre) ~

when i got older i realised i have less energy to get out. strange that i'll jump at the chance of an outing when i was still in school. these days im conserving energy - after all worked had drained me significantly!
    I never went out much during school periods and the computer was my main source for fun. And now in University I'm going out even less now due to stupid workload and I'm spending even more time on the computer escaping reality now.

I never went out much during school periods and the computer was my main source for fun. And now in University I'm going out even less now due to stupid workload and I'm spending even more time on the computer escaping reality now.
    lol, then wait till you get to my age, you might really become a full-fledged hermit.
    o wilku mowa...♪

lol, then wait till you get to my age, you might really become a full-fledged hermit.
    LOL I bet I'm already going out less than you even now. I'm already a full-fledged hermit as you say.
    Sigh uni sucks.

LOL I bet I'm already going out less than you even now. I'm already a full-fledged hermit as you say.
    Sigh uni sucks.
    ouch. wait till you get to work =p

i take it you would never wanna work as a programmer, for example? lol.

now that i think of it, i always see my uni days as the golden era ~ most exciting phase in life.
    o wilku mowa...♪

now that i think of it, i always see my uni days as the golden era ~ most exciting phase in life.
    LOL me working as a programmer? No way! Unless I somehow miraculously start understanding and knowing how to apply all of those stupid codes.

Uni sucks mostly because of exams and fear of failure. Take that away and it'll be a much better experience even though that way I'd probably end up not doing any work.

Meh for me best phase in life is probably the pre primary school period when you're pretty much carefree and don't have to worry about anything.

LOL me working as a programmer? No way! Unless I somehow miraculously start understanding and knowing how to apply all of those stupid codes.

Uni sucks mostly because of exams and fear of failure. Take that away and it'll be a much better experience even though that way I'd probably end up not doing any work.

Meh for me best phase in life is probably the pre primary school period when you're pretty much carefree and don't have to worry about anything.
    I reckon you have higher aspirations than me perhaps; life in uni was fun cos I figured I'd never made it to the top; might as well just enjoy the short years. I struggled mainly to complete assignments only; and not surprisingly my grades are crappy; well but I know people who did better than me in school doesn't exactly do better career wise; we all come to the same. hmm.
    o wilku mowa...♪

grades dont mean much in university unless ur applying to grad school the people basically will just look at what school u graduated from. and after ur first job, they'll only look at ur previous occupations

of course im not trying to tell u to fail on purpose, just saying.....
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post
    grades dont mean much in university unless ur applying to grad school the people basically will just look at what school u graduated from. and after ur first job, they'll only look at ur previous occupations

well, yes. so unless one has high aspirations to go somewhere in the academic field, or some super-brainy work...the rest of us could really do crap and still get ourselves happily employed. after awhile nobody cares if you aced every subject or flung and resit every paper.

which is why it doesnt make sense i see kids getting all uptight when they say they didnt do well in school. yea i still have friends still schooling, and then when i asked how they fare....(lets just say most of them scored much better than i ever did in uni and they are crying over it) shsssh!
    o wilku mowa...♪

well, yes. so unless one has high aspirations to go somewhere in the academic field, or some super-brainy work...the rest of us could really do crap and still get ourselves happily employed. after awhile nobody cares if you aced every subject or flung and resit every paper.

which is why it doesnt make sense i see kids getting all uptight when they say they didnt do well in school. yea i still have friends still schooling, and then when i asked how they fare....(lets just say most of them scored much better than i ever did in uni and they are crying over it) shsssh!
    I wouldn't mind not getting very good scores in uni it's more of a fear of literally failing your subjects and having to repeat the subject and delaying the graduation lol.

I completely agree! Undergrad was by far the most carefree years I've ever had.

High school was kind of a nightmare -in fact I still have dreams about it in my 30's (the kind where you're late for class, and don't remember what your next class should be or where you find yourself in class with a final paper due and not remembering...)

Academic performance doesn't necessarily correlate with performance in the real world for a number of reasons.

In the real world...

1. There are oftentimes no right answers, there may be no answers at all.

2. There are no uniform rewards based on performance; putting more time and effort into an endeavor doesn't necessarily mean you will be rewarded.

3. Soft skills play a major part in how well regarded you are. In school most of one's grades depend on their own aptitude and effort. In the real world one generally needs to work as part of a group, and thus need to work with others. No matter how brilliant you are you still need to interact with others.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

I wouldn't mind not getting very good scores in uni it's more of a fear of literally failing your subjects and having to repeat the subject and delaying the graduation lol.
    good students always have one thing in common, they feared failing, and usually they will get pretty decent grades. those like us, who we do worry about failing, but despite our 'fear' it does not transform to action, and hence we are those that scraped along and somehow made it.

from what i know, guys who usually flung their course are those who

1) never submit any assignments, or show up in class
    2) had a history of failing a subject or two every semester

those who bothered to submit their assignments, after struggling (and not really aiming high) usually don't fail. what really happens is, crappy grades for some subjects, less crappy grades for another. once in a blue moon you might get a better than average grade for a few subjects.

then the other group who really feared flunking and were more dedicated.

their grades are usually pretty good, average to above average.

and then theres the final group whom we all 'envied' or 'secretly hate'...they just get frigging good grades all the time, and don't look like nerds either!

^_^ having an atittude like that, you wouldn't be in danger of flunking i think.

sometimes the worries of a student is only to submit their assignments, score etc. thats a clear direction to work your way towards to.

after that...it's easy to lose sight of your goals, because things are no longer well-defined...and like what darkscer has pointed out, there is no uniform rewards based on performances/efforts...

anyway, good luck to you, and enjoy uni while it last. =p
    o wilku mowa...♪

Quote Originally Posted by LuNaR View Post

Agree, it looks like everywhere you apply its all about job experience. My professor once said getting an A in the class doesn't mean anything if you cannot apply the concept on the job. As for hobbies, reading/watching anime, collecting postcards. Its nice to have postcards from different parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    i used to like playing mahjong and watch chinese wuxia series. but no more now.

possibly my hobbies are reading; and watching korean/japansese series once in a while.
    Four years have passed. My hobbies are still the same.

I used to devote my free time to reading and watching wuxia as well.

Now I'm less of a homebody, unless I'm reading, writing, or cooking.

I'm an avid bicyclist, if I'm not at work.

I'm actually in the process of buying a bicycle. Would like to bike the marathon one day =)

I have many hobbies to keep me busy. Since snow is melting and the weather looks promising, time to go out and jog/walk/hike. I also read, write, watch movies/tv series, draw, and sing (sometimes) . I also collect items i.e. Shot glasses from different states and places I've been to or/and have friends buy it for me. I also collect barbies and money from different parts of the world.
    Sim neej aws...

aww I actually lost my Barbie doll collection after I moved. I just started a key chain collection of different places since I keep getting keychains from friends when they travel. I just don't know where to put it, I was starting to put it up on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Four years have passed. My hobbies are still the same.
    I used to collect stamps. I possibly had 20,000 different stamps? I gave all my stamps to my niece when she wanted them. Wondering how's my "stamps" doing with my niece.