Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: translation requests and questions

Quote Originally Posted by Shi-Potian View Post
    its over a year now since the last update on ode to gallantry im getting worried/anxious over here it would be nice if someone could either start translating it or edit for HYS anyways i know im sounding like a broken record but a year is quite a long time so yeaa.. .. . . . sorry if its annoying solo
    Well I'm sure hes gonna be done soon with the editing. I heard he recently got hold of the 3rd edition and is going through a massive re editing from 1-10.

His release of ODG is probably the most anticipated one ever lol...

was their ever an attempt to translate twin of brothers or is any1 planning/willing to translate it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shi-Potian View Post
    was their ever an attempt to translate twin of brothers or is any1 planning/willing to translate it?
    There's no translations of HY's work as yet.

Han sOlo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by lailoken View Post
    Well I'm sure hes gonna be done soon with the editing. I heard he recently got hold of the 3rd edition and is going through a massive re editing from 1-10.

His release of ODG is probably the most anticipated one ever lol...
    THAT and the brand new Wuxiapedia :-D

Quote Originally Posted by WesY2K View Post
    THAT and the brand new Wuxiapedia :-D
    Linh Vu AKA Candide is currently busy. He will probably update Wuxiapedia sometime later this year. Hopefully anyways.

Default Translations..

Can anyone help translate Lofty Waters Verdant Bow (LWVB) or Lethal Weapons of Love and Passion(LWOLAP)? It would be much appreciated

Default 楚留香: Chu Liu Xiang: Cho Lau Heung

Can someone please translate this story? I have read the book 1 translation by Athena. Thank you very much. But, I would like to find out what happens during Chu's other adventures. Please help.

I believe there are 5 more books:
    The Legend of the Ghostly Romance or Guilian Chuanqi 鬼恋传奇
    The Legend of the Bat or Bianfu Chuanqi 蝙蝠传奇
    The Legend of the Peach Blossom or Taohua Chuanqi 桃花传奇
    The Legend of the New Moon or Xinyue Chuanqi 新月传奇
    The Midnight Orchid or Wuye Lanhua 午夜兰花

Thank you in advance.
    "Every man dies, but not every man really lives." -BH

Hi... This thread is kind of meh... But I was thinking of trying my hand at translating either Liang Cheng Jue or Da Qi Ying Xiong Zhuan. I'd like to know if either of those are translated (since I'd rather not do something other people have already started). I'm leaning more towards the GL one though just because GL is usually easier to translate. :3

lol... this thread is indeed kind of "meh" lol it was actually best word to describe it...

anyhow, personally i just hope HSDS gets finished asap :P
    DAMN i wanna read the rest of ch 13 >.<
    EDIT: lol it was already translated... anychance of it being added to the HSDS unabridged thread?

its great to be back really missed this forum at spc nice to see u got a new avatar han solo XD
    Last edited by darkshineknight; 06-13-08 at 10:34 AM.
    This is a plea to whom ever is in-charge of wuxiapedia to update the translations into it (or else start trying to get permission to put the content from the translators/editors).

thankxxx

Default Where does it all end?

I am pretty new here. I have noticed in the various translation forums that there have been some pitched battles between translators and people who are frustrated over translations that go on hiatus. A common suggestion has been to wait until the translation is finished.

Once again I am a noob here, but would it be at all possible when the translations start to state how many chapters the book is? I realize that with some research we could all find that out, but if one is translating, I assume the book is in front of one, and with 10 or 11 key strokes, one could save the teeming masses of readers several minutes of online searching that could be better spent participating in one of PJ's polls....

Missouri Slim

Quote Originally Posted by missouri.slim View Post
    I am pretty new here. I have noticed in the various translation forums that there have been some pitched battles between translators and people who are frustrated over translations that go on hiatus. A common suggestion has been to wait until the translation is finished.

Once again I am a noob here, but would it be at all possible when the translations start to state how many chapters the book is? I realize that with some research we could all find that out, but if one is translating, I assume the book is in front of one, and with 10 or 11 key strokes, one could save the teeming masses of readers several minutes of online searching that could be better spent participating in one of PJ's polls....

Missouri Slim
    Hi slim,

All of our translators do describe how many chapters or books in the translation that they do. It is usually contained in the first page of any translation thread.

Thank you for your patience and suggestion.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Hi slim,

All of our translators do describe how many chapters or books in the translation that they do. It is usually contained in the first page of any translation thread.

Thank you for your patience and suggestion.

Han Solo
    Hey Mister Solo
    Again, I realize that I am new here and I have no intention of starting a scuffle with a moderator in my third post here, but I have looked at these translation threads a lot... though not so much as you have. Going through the threads on the first page of the translataion forum, I found almost no notice of how long the source material of any translation was. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place. Step Into The Past is listed as over 300 chapters. Wu Lin Wai Shi has extensive notes (I love notes and make my own as I read) but no indication of length. Jiu Yue Ying Fei is indicated as a translation that will probably not be finished, but it appears that it is finished. In post 495 of Happy Hero, Zhaoyu asks how long the book is.

I love this forum, though I have not participated in it much, and I don't want anyone to think I am being negative about any of these translators or their translations. I am a patient fellow, and I gladly wait for a translation to be finished to read it, even if it is a matter of years. I just want to be able to tell when it is time to stop being patient and start reading without looking through the last few pages of a thread accidently reading chapters I shouldn't be reading yet.

Thanks again

MO Slim

Jiu Yue Ying Fei is completed. You can read it from beginning to end in one go.
    Wulin Wai Shi is a very thick 44 chapters. (The length of 1 chapter from one book to another might vary by quite a bit.)
    Happy Heroes is 26 chapters.

Pls understand that this is a forum. People come and go. Translators come and go. As such, there is really no systematic flow for each, so you just have to browse around carefully. If you have specific questions, then just ask.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the update Fastclock. I appreciate the research. I am not upset with anybody. I understand that many of the people here have been reading and translating for a long time and there are many things that are just understood. For many (like me) this is the first place we have been exposed to this kind of literature beyond a few movies. I do not mean to shackle translators to a format for their work, but some simple background information (such as number of chapters) would help people like me who are new to this find our way to the enjoyment that you have already found. Han Solo thought that this information was there and I only meant to point out that it was not.

That being said, I must continue by saying that I love that there are people willing to translate in an open source forum like this. It is wonderful to see so many willing to do this because they love it and not because it is their job. I truly appreciate what your work enables me to learn. And not just the translations-- I am starting to pick out several words in movies as well now.

Thank you.

MO Slim

I'm interested in translating something easy so . . . does anyone have any requests of recommendations? Again, I have no experience in doing this so don't expect anything good

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    I'm interested in translating something easy so . . . does anyone have any requests of recommendations? Again, I have no experience in doing this so don't expect anything good
    YLS and JY have more formal chinese. I probably wouldn't recommend starting off with them.

GL's sentences tends to be shorter and have a more modern pacing - hence it may feel easier.

Why don't you start off with one of GL's stories?

I would recommend Big Time Hero (Da Ren Wu) that TigerWong and was followed by paul had started, and fastclock has a half-baked copy (his words) in his site.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=16919
    http://haddjo.freehostia.com/

That way, you can use that as a base to refine and look towards a simple goal of initially translating one page and then one chapter and so on.

Translating is bloody hard work

Good luck and let us know of what you think.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    YLS and JY have more formal chinese. I probably wouldn't recommend starting off with them.

GL's sentences tends to be shorter and have a more modern pacing - hence it may feel easier.

Why don't you start off with one of GL's stories?

I would recommend Big Time Hero (Da Ren Wu) that TigerWong and was followed by paul had started, and fastclock has a half-baked copy (his words) in his site.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=16919
    http://haddjo.freehostia.com/

That way, you can use that as a base to refine and look towards a simple goal of initially translating one page and then one chapter and so on.

Translating is bloody hard work

Good luck and let us know of what you think.

Han Solo
    Thanks.

I'll try a short, probably little known, Gu Long story. Picking up someone else's work doesn't feel right for me.

Quote Originally Posted by sarakoth View Post
    Thanks.

I'll try a short, probably little known, Gu Long story. Picking up someone else's work doesn't feel right for me.
    I understand respecting someone else's work. I respect that you respect it. However, this whole forum is more or less about picking up someone else's (the author's) work.

I have a great deal of reverence for the translators here because they make something available that I would otherwise never be able to access. They do not own the stories, they distribute the stories. You have as much right to finish their work or contribute to finishing as they have to start it. I am not angry with anyone for taking a hiatus in the middle of a book. I know it is hard work. If you can finish something that was left behind, that is great. If the previous translator is not satified with your treatment of the material, they can come back and finish it themselves.

Further, if you want to re-translate, I personally find that valuable as well. I have read a couple of tellings of both the Water Margin and San Xia Wu Yi, and took something from all of them, and no single translation was probably entirely like the original. I understand the desire to translate every story out there, but every translation here has value to someone-- and that includes under-edited and repeated translations. Each translator cannot help but let a little of his or her own voice into the work. That makes each translation unique unless you are copying off your neighbor.

Translate what you choose, but don't limit yourself by what is already available.

I apologize for the soap box speech, but this is something I have been thinking about for a while and finally had a reason to bring it up.

Thanks
    MO Slim

Thumbs up

I just noticed that HuntingX is continuing his translation of DOMD. That is exactly what I am talking about. I realize it is because there is a great deal of dis-satisfaction with the Minford translation, but that is not the only reason to re-translate something.

You wouldn't skip Batman Begins because you had already seen the Micheal Keaton Batman, would you? I thought not.

Way to go HuntingX.

MO slim

can someone please translate A Swordsman Journey By Gu Long its a great story it was started at wuxiasociety but its been a long time since its last update