Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: translation requests and questions

Does it mean, that you intend to abandon "Three Heroes and Five Gallants" project? As to new translations, my suggestion is, that you choose some not Gu Long's novel. There are a lot of his novels already translated, it would be good to present works of other writers to non-Chinese readers. Personally, I would like to see "The Wanderer's Chronicles" finished, but if you don't like finishing someone else's work, I will be extremely grateful for translation of whichever book you choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Irwirka View Post
    Does it mean, that you intend to abandon "Three Heroes and Five Gallants" project?
    For a while, anyway. I might pick it back up later on, but I want to focus on newer stories for the time being.

I would enjoy more Giddens Ko as well
    --=={Grundle}==--

A Step into the Past is a popular story here and it's currently on hiatus. If you're able to continue the translation then I'm sure the forum members and original translators would greatly appreciate the effort.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteskwirl View Post
    I didn't know 九把刀 had other wuxia novels. I only knew about 《功夫》.
    He does. Although "Kung Fu" and "8th Copper Man" are moure Wuxia than others. I think his "Legend of the Life Hunting Division" series (獵命師傳奇) is also a bit Wuxia... but more in a fantasy environment. AFAIK there are 17 novels at the moment.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Keep them coming if anyone else has a suggestion.

Continuing an unfinished translation is a pretty good idea.

I've also noticed that Sword Stained with Royal Blood has never been translated. There's not even a partial translation, except for two short excerpts by Xaari. Is there something wrong with this novel that it's the only Jin Yong work never attempted?

If this quote from Wuxiasociety.org is any indication...

[quote]
    If anything, Sword Stained with Royal Blood (the novel) will be the least favorite one picked by any fan translators because it was really.... it wasn't Jin Yong's best at all. Certainly not in the same league at his 5 most famous epic novels... Demi Gods Semi Devils, Legend of Condor Heroes, Return of Condor Heroes, Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre, and Smiling Proud Wanderer.
    [unquote]
    Temujin - Sun Jun 22, 2008

If you read the first chapter of Sword Stained with Royal Blood, you'll see why it's such a bore. The adaptations expound upon all the juiciest bits of plot and backstory, which may often mislead people into thinking that the novel is just as exciting. But character development is really quite lacking (Yuan Chengzhi is forgettable), the ending is anticlimactic, and the prose drones on and on. My favorite character (Xia Xueyi) had been dead for nearly twenty years by the time the story started. My only motivation for translating the excerpts was because they included him.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaari View Post
    If you read the first chapter of Sword Stained with Royal Blood, you'll see why it's such a bore. The adaptations expound upon all the juiciest bits of plot and backstory, which may often mislead people into thinking that the novel is just as exciting. But character development is really quite lacking (Yuan Chengzhi is forgettable), the ending is anticlimactic, and the prose drones on and on. My favorite character (Xia Xueyi) had been dead for nearly twenty years by the time the story started. My only motivation for translating the excerpts was because they included him.
    As you've no doubt seen already on the other forum, I've recently bought a copy. It will be a future project, the distant future for now. The lack of interest in this novel has only piqued my own.

As for what to translate next, I'm leaning very heavily towards continuing The Wanderer Chronicles, 《萍蹤俠影錄》. It will still be a little while before I start on it, though. I have a few more short stories to get out, and then I plan to work on a Ni Kuang novella, so Wanderer will likely start after those. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

As you've no doubt seen already on the other forum, I've recently bought a copy. It will be a future project, the distant future for now. The lack of interest in this novel has only piqued my own.

As for what to translate next, I'm leaning very heavily towards continuing The Wanderer Chronicles, 《萍蹤俠影錄》. It will still be a little while before I start on it, though. I have a few more short stories to get out, and then I plan to work on a Ni Kuang novella, so Wanderer will likely start after those. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    Sounds like a plan. Perhaps read the entire novel before making the final decision? There are definitely some fabulous characters (He Tieshou is my favorite) but the pacing really makes the reader want to yawn.

I think I skimmed through the most recent adaptation of The Wanderer Chronicles, which is really interesting at first, but then for some reason my interest just drifted away. Probably worth checking out for fun.

I think I skimmed through the most recent adaptation of The Wanderer Chronicles, which is really interesting at first, but then for some reason my interest just drifted away. Probably worth checking out for fun.
    You mean the TV show, with Fan Bingbing?

You mean the TV show, with Fan Bingbing?
    Nope, the most recent was in 2011: http://baike.baidu.com/view/4196241.htm

Nope, the most recent was in 2011: http://baike.baidu.com/view/4196241.htm
    I had never heard of that one. I just watched the first episode on youtube; not bad. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Hello, is there any translation on The Legend of the Peach Blossom or Taohua Chuanqi 桃花传奇? Thanks.

Based on Athena's thread
    http://www.spcnet.tv/gulong/chuliuxi...uxiang09.shtml, anyone know where is the translation on The Legend of the Peach Blossom by TigerWong? (at the end of the thread)
    Last edited by wkeej; 04-03-12 at 03:41 AM.

Nope, I don't believe anyone's ever written a summary or translation of 桃花传奇. That's the novel in which CLX marries Zhang Jiejie.

can someone translate the four constables by Wen Ruian? They have a manhua and a huge fan following in China. Why are almost all the translations about Jin Yong? Where is the love for other authors?

or Spear of Alarm: Wang Xiaoshi's stone? or can anyone point me in the direction of the translation, I think I remember seeing one but don't remember what website.
    Last edited by Bladebird; 06-26-12 at 06:21 PM.

would someone consider taking up the unfinished translation of Meteor, Butterfly and Sword?
    If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;

Joy of Life Also known as: Qing Yu Nian, Celebrating the Remaining Life A Wuxia (Martial Arts) novel by Maoni
    Translated by Lanny Lin up to chapter 6 i liked it a guy with a mussel wasting disease transported or reincarnated into a baby's body in ancient china or somewhere like it wizards and ki kung fu and a good sens of humor i liked it alot i am new to wuxia an this was the novel i liked the most if any one can complete it or recommend something similar
    thank you

Seconded! I would love 2 c "a joy of life continued"!!!

Hello, is there a translation for Cang Yue's Ting Xue Lou (听雪楼) up? I've been looking for the translation for this novel for a while. Thanks!

-Lyndt