Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: translation requests and questions

I know I can't honestly expect anything even mildly useful to come out of it, but I've got nothing to lose.

For some Chinese names that got translated into English by Babelfish, there's an easy thing to do. Get the original text, and use either
    http://www.yellowbridge.com/language/worddict.html
    (for a short sentence)
    OR
    http://www.rikai.com/perl/HomePage.pl?Language=Zh
    (for a paragraph or two)

to help you identify the proper names.

e.g. Shaolin can be translated as few forests (Shao-few, lin-forests)
    Ren - no matter what
    Yingying - graceful
    Yue - mountain (from Yue Buqun and Yue Lingshan)

So, seeing in the translation something like 'Mountain gentleman', means actually 'Master Yue'.

Anyway I've tried to change most of the names back into the pinyin spelling - but there's no doubt I've missed quite a few still in the documents above. If you have problem with the names, PM me and I'll try to list the common names.

Don't give up that easily.

Wow I didn't know all this stuff.
    Maybe it's because I'm still a newbie translator.

I think this should be made a sticky thread.
    The info here is really useful.

Babel Fish (general translations) and Google (site translations) are hilarious and manage to turn English into a foreign language!

Well,

I'm sure babelfish is not for everyone. It takes effort to make the 'babbles' into readable stuff. I've done some part - so maybe that would help some people.

I've used the method to help finish some stories that are not too far from the end - like SPW, BaiMa XiaoXiFeng, LXF3 Duel where translations have stopped for a while. I still hope those translators will finish the work someday.

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fastclock
    If you're really desperate to continue reading Smiling Proud Wanderer, you can try tackling this one:

http://www.geocities.com/hadrian_d/spw21-40.doc

This is an MS word file containing the original Chinese text + modified English translation from Altavista's Babelfish.

Try reading the part after Lanny Lin's translation in Ch. 21 and you'll see how imperfect it is. At the same time - you get a lot of the story this way. Just the brain needs to work harder at getting the meaning when reading.

You can also do a huge service to the community by straightening the English grammar and sentences - editing it so it's a lot more readable and then post your work here.

Separately, if anyone else wants to do the same thing with "Bai Ma Xiao Xi Feng" another Jin Yong's novel. This one doesn't have the original Chinese text but should be easy enough to correct grammars, spellings etc. to make it much more readable. You can download it here:

http://www.geocities.com/hadrian_d/BaiMaXiaoXiFeng.doc

Thanks.

My respect and admiration to Lanny Lin and Junzi who had started the work on the two books.
    ARGH the link doesnt work....

SPW is probably my most favorite Jin Yong novel...even though i cant read any of them lol

Try right-click on the link and use "Save file as" to your favorite directory.

Or maybe it's better to go to the index page and save it from there:
    http://www.geocities.com/hadrian_d/

Default Continuation of Lanny Lin's Translation of Smiling Proud Wanderer

I posted a new thread in the forum.
    Last edited by hhaung; 03-06-06 at 09:19 PM.

Er I think you should create a new thread and move the post there. This seems to be out of place.

Default Question HSDS Chapter 24

In the current translation of HSDS Chapter 24 by dgfds01, the name of one the Five Free Recluses was translated as Iron Hat Priest Zhang Zhong.

Some of TV adaptations, his name was Iron Crest Priest Tie Guan.

So which one is the correct one? Zhang Zhong or Tie Guan?

*btw great job in translating this HSDS!!!!
    He said "Mie at the top, Jue at the bottom". She replied "Yes, Absolute Annihilation...

Quote Originally Posted by vindikattor View Post
    In the current translation of HSDS Chapter 24 by dgfds01, the name of one the Five Free Recluses was translated as Iron Hat Priest Zhang Zhong.

Some of TV adaptations, his name was Iron Crest Priest Tie Guan.

So which one is the correct one? Zhang Zhong or Tie Guan?
    Tie Guan already means Iron Hat/Crown [insert headwear], so the TV adaptations are most likely wrong.

I forgot what was the Priest's real name, but I guess it's safe to say since dgfds01 is translating from the novel (or through the online website), chances of it being correct are quite high.

does anyone want any new story translated? im not a native english speaker but i can read some chinese and ive read a lot of wuxia stories in my own language.. translating might be fun

Quote Originally Posted by aal__ View Post
    does anyone want any new story translated? im not a native english speaker but i can read some chinese and ive read a lot of wuxia stories in my own language.. translating might be fun
    You are welcomed to translate any stories that you feel is wonderful to share with us.

As you know, we had mainly been benefited from JY and some GL's stories being translated, and it is a dream of mine to be able to read from the other authors, especially those who had published in the last 10 years.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

I have a general question about translating that I really need answered.... I was wondering if we are infringing any copyright issues by translating novels, biographies or anything word for word? I mean, like in this thread, we are just translating for fans' enjoyment and sharing with each other right?? We aren't publishing it for profit or anything so I don' t think it is a big deal and is ok right??I offered to translate a biography of one of my favorite stars and thought that fans would support me. Most of them did, but one of them said that I was going to be infringing copyright laws!! I never thought of that since I saw that fans translated articles, wu xia novels and other things in it's entirety all the time and no one seemed to say anything so I thought it should be ok.I thought we are doing it for our own pleasure and sharing with each other. We aren't publishing it for profit or anything so I assumed that it was ok. What do you guys think though??
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I have a general question about translating that I really need answered.... I was wondering if we are infringing any copyright issues by translating novels, biographies or anything word for word? I mean, like in this thread, we are just translating for fans' enjoyment and sharing with each other right?? We aren't publishing it for profit or anything so I don' t think it is a big deal and is ok right??I offered to translate a biography of one of my favorite stars and thought that fans would support me. Most of them did, but one of them said that I was going to be infringing copyright laws!! I never thought of that since I saw that fans translated articles, wu xia novels and other things in it's entirety all the time and no one seemed to say anything so I thought it should be ok.I thought we are doing it for our own pleasure and sharing with each other. We aren't publishing it for profit or anything so I assumed that it was ok. What do you guys think though??
    In most cases, you aren't really doing anything wrong since it is a non profit effort on your part. If the author or publisher has any issues regarding copyrights they would contact you in some way and give you a warning to delete the translated content in your website and stop translating the copyrighted material. This happens everytime with fansubbing groups who translates licensed anime and mangas.

Yeah, like Bangs mentioned, make sure you leave yourself open for the owners of the copyrights to contact you. They'll know that you did it out of good-faith and bear no ill-will towards them (ie not making profits out of their copyrighted works).

Place a promininent disclaimer, preferably at the start of the translation saying that you are doing this not for profit and anyone who would like to contest the copyrights can contact you if they wish to. It'll be good to state that you would be willing to remove the articles upon request of the copyright holder.

As long as you credit and attribute the creators, you should be safe.

Thank you so much Bangs and Jayjenxi for your comments and responses. I personally did not see what the big deal was until other people were saying things. I thought that people would get all happy and excited when they hear that something will be translated... However, in the case that I was in... I got a different response which I did not like at all... I know what to do now, thanks again!
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

i want to help translate but i'm viet and don't read or understand chinese, is it okay to translate 'viet translated' text? they tend to be really accurate following chinese-viet ppl i know.

is there a list of translated materials? since i don't want to translate sumething tat has already been done.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Well, not always... I know both Chinese and Viet and I must say, it is to an extent... But there are things that just cannot be translated from Chinese into Viet.... It is always better to translate from the Chinese text...

okay then. then as a request, could sum1 translate Bai Xue Jian aka sword stanied with royal blood?
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.