Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts of Wuxia

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I suffered the Su Xinghe syndrome.
    I am unaware of any such ailment. What are its symptoms?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    I am unaware of any such ailment. What are its symptoms?
    Wants to learn everything. Easily distracted.

Sandy Lam has made a song called Kurong (Cantonese: Fu Wing).

Maybe this was her way to profess her love for the guardian of Tianlong Si.
    Last edited by PJ; 07-04-11 at 01:23 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Is it really possible to detect poison with a silver needle or anything silver? Does it work only in fiction?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Is it really possible to detect poison with a silver needle or anything silver? Does it work only in fiction?
    Silver can sometimes be used to detect arsenic and sulfur (common chemical poisons back in the day). However, if you're dealing with biological poisons (ie snake venom), you are probably SOL.

PJ, I really like the quote in your signature.

I've been re-reading ROCH recently, and it occurred to me one day that Yang Guo is a really messed up guy. He hardly had any proper parenting during his childhood. His mother died and he was homeless for a while, then he was 'adopted' by a crazy person, then taken in by a foster family. And after that he spent the rest of his childhood living in isolation with a teenage girl who'd spend her whole life in isolation learning to repress her emotions. It's a wonder that he wasn't a much stranger and more unpleasant person.

But happy well-adjusted people aren't much fun to read about.
    你看这些云彩,聚了又散,散了又聚,人生离合也是一样。

Quote Originally Posted by sniffles View Post
    PJ, I really like the quote in your signature.
    Thanks. It's one of my favorite lines. Really sums up the character/story in an poignant way.

------------------------------
    Last night when I stepped out of shower, I experienced a mini Sheng Si Fu effect due to allergy + water on my body being air dried = a new level of itching like insect stinging. I almost considered rolling on the ground a la those 36/72 islanders/cavers.

As a kid I absolutely hated Guo Fu, really really hated. Now I watch back the RoCH or I reread it, and while she annoys me still, I find I have much more sympathy for her than I ever imagined.

And I now blame Yang Guo for every thing that goes wrong in RoCH.
    有缘千里来相会
    无缘对面手难牵

Wuxia makes me proud about my ancestor's martial arts. Our martial arts from wuxia are simply by far the best in the world. Way way better than Muay Thai, BJJ, Karate, Tae Kwondo, ect... Our martial artists still kick *** at the age of 80s, 90s and even pass 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Wuxia makes me proud about my ancestor's martial arts. Our martial arts from wuxia are simply by far the best in the world. Way way better than Muay Thai, BJJ, Karate, Tae Kwondo, ect... Our martial artists still kick *** at the age of 80s, 90s and even pass 100.
    The only problem is that 99% of wuxia martial arts are either totally fictitious or grossly exaggerated.

Gao Shengtai (高升泰) – the Marquis of Shanchan. He is given the throne and rules Dali before passing it to Duan Yu.

Who is Gao ShengTai? I don't think I have seen him in any of the TV adaptations of the novel.

I don't recollect seeing any of Su Xinghe's other students besides Doctor Xue.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Who is Gao ShengTai? I don't think I have seen him in any of the TV adaptations of the novel.
    He is commonly known as the "Dali flute guy."

I don't recollect seeing any of Su Xinghe's other students besides Doctor Xue.
    You didn't miss anything. They're pretty boring and inconsequential. Even as an ELOC lover, I don't care about them.

Gao Shengtai (高升泰) – the Marquis of Shanchan. He is given the throne and rules Dali before passing it to Duan Yu.

I don't remember TV series well, but it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't included in any of the series to save production budgets.

In the novel, he's one of the highest ranking officials of the Da Li kingdom. He's portrayed as a loyal servant to the Duen's family. But in history, he's more of a usurper, and the last kings of Da Li were mostly just puppets w/ members of the Gao family pulling the strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I don't remember TV series well, but it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't included in any of the series to save production budgets.
    TV adaptations of DGSD tend to dispense with King Deun Jin Ming's four advisors; typically, they double Prince Deun Jing Tsun's four bodyguards into those roles as well (to the extent that the adaptations delve into the details of Dali politics at all).

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Like Ken said, if you are proud of something totally fictitious, exagerated and completely fake then ... oh well.

I just went through the 4000 posts in this gargantuan topic. Good times.

It also reminded me that we haven't had a survivor game for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Da Bao View Post
    As a kid I absolutely hated Guo Fu, really really hated. Now I watch back the RoCH or I reread it, and while she annoys me still, I find I have much more sympathy for her than I ever imagined.

And I now blame Yang Guo for every thing that goes wrong in RoCH.

I blame this forum (or specifically Ken Cheng) for making me blame Yang Guo for every thing that goes wrong in RoCH - it is currently sitting in my list of least liked wuxia stories translated in English.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    I credit this forum (or specifically Ken Cheng) for making me blame Yang Guo for every thing that goes wrong in RoCH - it is currently sitting in my list of least liked wuxia stories translated in English.
    Fixed it for you. Typos happen all the time.

The Life-long Enemies Turn Friends Via Near-Moment of Death

Hong Qi Gong and OuYang Feng were frenemies for a long time, but upon the last moments of life, they were able to remember each other and laugh til death and reconcile. Death by power exhaustion.

Tianshan Tonglao and Li Qiu Shui - the two martial sisters spent a good several decades of their life fighting and competing for the love of their martial brother, Wu Ya Zi, and also ruining each other's chance at happiness, but the moment they lay eyes on the painting of WYZ's true love, they laugh and die out of exhaustion of powers.

I guess Murong Bo and Xiao Yuan Shan sorta falls into this catagory. XYS spent a good 30 years tracking down MRB, but through a moment of "death" they experienced w/ help from The Janitor Monk (or Sweeper Monk), they lived again and became monks and let go of their animosites against each other.

The Life-long Enemies Turn Friends Via Near-Moment of Death

Hong Qi Gong and OuYang Feng were frenemies for a long time, but upon the last moments of life, they were able to remember each other and laugh til death and reconcile. Death by power exhaustion.

Tianshan Tonglao and Li Qiu Shui - the two martial sisters spent a good several decades of their life fighting and competing for the love of their martial brother, Wu Ya Zi, and also ruining each other's chance at happiness, but the moment they lay eyes on the painting of WYZ's true love, they laugh and die out of exhaustion of powers.

I guess Murong Bo and Xiao Yuan Shan sorta falls into this catagory. XYS spent a good 30 years tracking down MRB, but through a moment of "death" they experienced w/ help from The Janitor Monk (or Sweeper Monk), they lived again and became monks and let go of their animosites against each other.
    I don't think Ouyang Feng and Hong Qigong were ever friends even a little bit. They just had a lot of respect for each other martial prowess.