Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts of Wuxia

Quote Originally Posted by goodrick View Post
    I don't think Ouyang Feng and Hong Qigong were ever friends even a little bit. They just had a lot of respect for each other martial prowess.
    Well, technically when they died, they could be seen as friends. They were able to laugh together like the word enemy isn't between them.

In three examples, all the life-long fighting became nothing after facing an impending death or experiencing a 'death'. That is what I meant to express.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Jin Yong's novels were amongst the best literature I read. I lost count over the number of times I re-read his novels. Characters are full of flavour and life, even the supporting characters. Most martial arts stories and shows are B-grade level, because all problems are resolved strictly by martial arts, as depicted even in today's popular gongfu stories including Kungfu Panda. It is very different in Jin Yong novels.

Qiu Qian Ren thought he could win the respect of everyone if he dominated Hua Shan Meet No.2. But Hong Qi Gong told him off that no one would ever respect a traitor as their true champion.

Li Mo Chou, depicted as a cold-blooded killer for most of ROCH, shows her softer side when she nannied the baby Guo Xiang.

And 4 of the 5 Greats all had relationship or personal problems that could not be resolved by martial arts.

And when Huang Yao Shi recited a sad poem after being frustrated over his inability to resolve his daughter's unhappiness over Guo Jing's simultaneous marriage plans to both Huang Rong and Hua Zheng, 3rd Freak wondered aloud what could trouble a man whose martial arts is so powerful?

Such examples make the character and story much more lively, and you realize that the story is not a story of revenge, of developing good gong-fu, or using gong-fu as a means to an end. The story is about the main character set in a gong-fu world. Gong fu is just a tool. It is not the solution or the final destination. It is just a tool. And it is best examplifed in Duke of Mount Deer, where the hero, Wei Xiao Bao, has no gong fu, and relies more his special dagger, armour and some cheap tricks to get out a tight pickle.

Maybe that's why I kinda prefer re-reading Jin Yong's novels over other gongfu novels or gongfu shows. Just my personal opinion.

To the extent that this forum has invaded my life, memo came across my desk regarding HR and I immediately thought "Huang Rong" before Human Resources.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post
    To the extent that this forum has invaded my life, memo came across my desk regarding HR and I immediately thought "Huang Rong" before Human Resources.

Carry on.
    Ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. LOL

Usually when one demonstrates grand martial arts, cheers abound. But in the fight between Zhang Wuji and Ah San, observers were so spellbound by Wuji's MA that they all froze and forgot to cheer.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Usually when one demonstrates grand martial arts, cheers abound. But in the fight between Zhang Wuji and Ah San, observers were so spellbound by Wuji's MA that they all froze and forgot to cheer.
    They were probably also cringing in sympathetic pain. As much as Ah 3 deserved it, watching how Cheung Mo Gei disposed of him probably induced many winces.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    They were probably also cringing in sympathetic pain. As much as Ah 3 deserved it, watching how Cheung Mo Gei disposed of him probably induced many winces.
    Yeah, I mean Wuji is someone ppl expect to stop the fight and say "Ah San, are you ok? Am I hurting you?"
    Last edited by PJ; 02-27-12 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smurf120 View Post

Carry on.
    Happens to me too. When I'm on the road and look at the license plates, I see letters and I immediately think of the wuxia characters before even knowing it. Like yesterday, I saw something like 3RYY267 and Ren Ying Ying just popped up in my head.
    Simon the Snowblower.
    Check out hilarious Jin Yong Adaptations' bloopers!

I'm reading through LOCH and I've been keeping an eye out for the presence of LDA.

So far, dragon palms has been shown to be mostly close range melee attacks. Cycling through the 15 palms that GJ knew at the time, he had openings in his hip and shoulder that OYK could attack.
    When he tried to attack HYS, his palm got sucked into HYS's body and his wrist got dislocated.
    HR has a palm called pi kong zhang. Empty splitting palms that she needs to physically touch to break a coffin. But it was explicitly stated in the narative that the technique can be performed long range.

Anything else people think I should look out for while reading through?

I find it peculiar that QCJ can lift a large couldron filled with wine with one arm. But everyone finds it so powerful that MCF can pierce bone with her fingers.

GJ's progress has been amazingly fast. To the point that GJ slowly progressing as oposed to the other protagonists isn't that great a gap. While the other protagonists may have just had 2-3 power ups in close succession. GJ's power ups are still significantly large, but seems to be just spaced out in the story.

GJ went from being an average wulin fighter to stronger than most fighters twice his age after learning the 15 dragon palms. He is suddenly superior to his teachers. Almost on par with a blind MCF. Slightly behind OYK. Better than these, I believe the term is Jin Flunkies, who are also sect leaders.
    Dragon palms is an elite level technique so his progress is understandable, but at the same time, it is still very rapid. Sure he's still far behind the greats, but he'll receive many more blessings to come.

Is anyone a fan of Xia Xueyi from Sword Stained with Royal Blood?
    玉木宏

blog

I wish Zhang Cuishan would've been the love child of Zhang Sanfeng and Guo Xiang.
    Simon the Snowblower.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuet Thi View Post
    I wish Zhang Cuishan would've been the love child of Zhang Sanfeng and Guo Xiang.
    That would explain why Zhang Sanfeng loved Junior Zhang so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    That would explain why Zhang Sanfeng loved Junior Zhang so much.
    How about *grandson*, at least? Between this idea and the notion that the Yellow-Robed Girl was the biological *daughter* of Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl, I'm beginning to wonder what it is about wuxia fans and seeing septuagenarians and octogenarians getting it on.

Reading Luk Siu Fung : Borrowing Corpse to Return the Soul. So far, better than the series adaptation.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Reading Luk Siu Fung : Borrowing Corpse to Return the Soul. So far, better than the series adaptation.
    Which book is that? I don't remember a LUK SIU FUNG book by that title.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Which book is that? I don't remember a LUK SIU FUNG book by that title.
    Sorry, wrong hero name. Should be Chor Lau Heung. I always mix these 2's stories up because of their similarity in format. I even mix up the supporting characters and the series.
    Last edited by kidd; 03-21-12 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Sorry, wrong hero name. Should be Chor Lau Heung. I always these 2's stories up because of their similarity in format. I even mix up the supporting characters and the series.
    There are indeed quite a few similarities.

Ah never mind.
    Last edited by junny; 03-22-12 at 02:39 PM.
    玉木宏

blog

Just read a bit on 'Mythical Crane Magic Needle' by Wo Long Sheng that I put down some years ago. It's refreshing to read these poetic words again after reading the plainer words of GL's novels.

The fact that Duan Yanqing thought the person with him outside the temple *that* night was Guan Yin just makes me go
    Simon the Snowblower.