Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts of Wuxia

3 funniest literal translations:

Divine Flicking Finger
    Mandarin Duck Sabre
    Zhang Real Man
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Can wuxia people survive in modern world? If they live in modern world, would they all end up in jail for killing and vengeance?

did Donald Trump stumble upon Dugu Qiubai's tomb? Coz the stronger the attack from opponents, the stronger he gets...

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    did Donald Trump stumble upon Dugu Qiubai's tomb? Coz the stronger the attack from opponents, the stronger he gets...
    Well, he could have . Whether you agree with him or not, he is not the typical politician. Hardly any politician like him in history ever win election, never mind presidency. If he wins, he would make history. For better or worse, US will have real changes under his leadership.

Jin Yong writes like Charles Dickens; Gu Long wrote like Ernest Hemingway.

When it comes to stretching, wuxia fans often prove far more adept than even their heroes.

as I was skiing this weekend, a few wuxia thoughts came to mind.

1. As I struggled to maintain control at times, using all my skills in the process, I thought of JY's statements of a character utilizing all their skills in a certain situation, such as when XF sealed Quan Guanqing's acupoints by leaping and pointing backwards from 20+ feet away, he put in 100% effort (and had much more to show than I did ).

2. It was windy and snowed all day, at times coming down straight at the face. I thought of the exchange between Xuzhu and Jiumozhi, when their palm wind felt like biting wind atop a high mountain, forcing low level bystanders to retreat.

3. As I watched experts do their thing across varied terrain, I thought: they have reached a perfect balance between speed and control; the way they are executing the art form is perfection, like when XF performed Ancestor's Long Fist, how he displayed the perfect balance between hardness and softness, it was the perfect art form every practitioner wished to achieve.

I also crashed into a poor kid on the ski slope. The kid changed direction as I approached, I was going too fast and couldn't adapt in time. So I crashed into him/her with full force and sent them flying into the air 30+ feet out (just kidding on the last part). How embarrassing! Anyway, it didn't take long for the following excerpt to pop in my head:

With an evil smirk, Zhuo Bufan generated his internal energy. The green halo intensified, and the sword swiftly went for Xuzhu's chest. Xuzhu has never witnessed sword halo and estimated it to be a high level skill, judging by the gasping crowd. He didn't dare to confront it and slid away. Zhuo Bufan put all his might into this move and had no way to change it half way. With an audible sound, the sword went into a large granite pillar. This pillar was made of highly sturdy granite material, yet the flexible sword tip made its way one foot into the pillar. The crowd once again could not resist but cheer in light of the impressive internal energy put into the sword.
    Last edited by PJ; 03-26-17 at 01:41 PM.

I'm starting to think the trend of characters underestimating other fighters' rate of improvement (example: post-16 years GWM thinking he could crush YG + XLN) may be more realistic than thought. I am doing that a lot in real life WRT peers' skills!

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

I have had these random thoughts for a very long time, but it is now that I have made time to share them.

The first one is about He Taichong in HSDS. In chapter 25, He Taichong and all the other martial artists of the Six Orthodox Schools were imprisoned in that pagoda. Zhang Wuji, Yang Xiao and Wei Yixiao witnessed how Zhao Min was forcing He to fight three monks of the western regions. Despite the fact that He Taichong had no internal energy, he was still gaining the upper hand against the second monk. He Taichong’s opponent, the monk whose name is Moke Basi, was described to be two levels lower than He Taichong. Now this comment has lingered in my mind for so long, it is because throughout the entire Jin Yong canon the author has only used two levels only this instance. In all the other comparisons, he would only use ‘one level’ weaker or stronger than (see Golden Wheel Monk and Li Mochou or Xiao Feng and Murong Fu).Those discrepancies were only one level off? But He Taichong against Moke Basi is two levels. Moke Basi is really weak.

何太衝劍法雖精,內力卻似和常人相去不遠,劍招上的凌厲威力全然施展不出,只是那番僧的武功實是遜他兩籌, 幾次猛攻而前,總是被何太沖以精妙招術反得先機。Chapter 25

The second thought I had was with SPW. In chapter 22, Linghu Chong witnessed how an elder of the Sun and Moon Sect had ambushed Huang Zhonggong and his two other brtohers. Linghu Chong thought: Huang Zhonggong’s martial arts should not be weaker than this person....” Especially in Chinese [武功該當不在此人之下] could indicate X could be at least be at Y’s level, but could also be higher than Y.

黃鐘公的武功該當不在此人之下,這鮑長老若不是使詐偷襲,未必便制他得住。 Chapter 22

My finally thought would be a prolonged description of the short fight Huang Zhonggong had with Linghu Chong in the very first edition of SPW. Those lines have been removed for thirty to forty years now, but the author’s description did provide some insight on the level of incorporating music in martial arts. Infusing music into martial arts is one of the highest levels of martial arts. If you have reached the peak of ultimate perfection, you do not even have to use techniques and the music will disrupt the mental state and blood circulation of the opponents causing them to pass out or even die. Huang Zhonggong has not reached that level yet. The commentary is actually rather descriptive and useful to describe Huang Yaoshi’s and Ouyang Feng’s music contest in LOCH.
    这等以琴音混入武功中的功夫,乃是武学中最高的境界,若到登峰造极之时,根本不用出招,单是琴音便能令敌人 心神散乱,经脉倒转,如痴如狂之下昏晕呕血而毙。黄钟公的修为虽是未到这等境地,但琴招和琴音交互为用,对 方武术上的招数纵然胜他十倍,只须数招之内不能将他克制,最后终非落败不可。黑白子深知黄钟公这一套功夫的 厉害,生怕自己内力受损,便退到室外。
    Last edited by Athena; 04-19-17 at 07:31 PM.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)

Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    ... throughout the entire Jin Yong canon the author has only used two levels only this instance. In all the other comparisons, he would only use ‘one level’ weaker or stronger than (see Golden Wheel Monk and Li Mochou or Xiao Feng and Murong Fu).Those discrepancies were only one level off? But He Taichong against Moke Basi Tui is two levels. Moke Basi Tui is really weak.
    Excellent observation. Moke Basi is great ELOC material.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    With an evil smirk, Zhuo Bufan generated his internal energy. The green halo intensified, and the sword swiftly went for Xuzhu's chest. Xuzhu has never witnessed sword halo and estimated it to be a high level skill, judging by the gasping crowd. He didn't dare to confront it and slid away. Zhuo Bufan put all his might into this move and had no way to change it half way. With an audible sound, the sword went into a large granite pillar. This pillar was made of highly sturdy granite material, yet the flexible sword tip made its way one foot into the pillar. The crowd once again could not resist but cheer in light of the impressive internal energy put into the sword.
    When I read your post and got to the part in bold, I immediately thought of Yan 13 executing Sword 15. Just like Sword God, once he unleased his move, Yan was unable to stop it once unleashed.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    When I read your post and got to the part in bold, I immediately thought of Yan 13 executing Sword 15. Just like Sword God, once he unleased his move, Yan was unable to stop it once unleashed.
    ...and to me, this statement indicates that Yin 13 did not achieve true mastery, especially since Gu Long explicitly described his sword as being able to STOP TIME. If that were the case, then Yin 13 should DEFINITELY be able to retract his sword once released.

In THE HAUNTED MANOR storyline, Luk Siu Fung also observed that the Ambassador of Lost Souls who guarded the Haunted Valley had not truly mastered swordsmanship because after releasing his sword, he had to split a rock with it. LSF observed that if the Ambassador had truly mastered swordsmanship (as Sai Mun Chui Sheut had), he should have been able to casually retract his sword energy rather than redirect it at an alternate target.

I think Yan 13's Sword 15 was an experiment / work-in-progress, kind of like the last stages of Qiankun Danuoyi. Let's not forget how destructive Sword 15 was. IIRC it was explicitly stated to be too destructive, beyond Yan 13's control. So yeah, I agree he didn't achieve the highest mastery of that stance, but I think he could still destroy most ppl who achieved a higher mastery of something less profound.

Some ppl might consider him to have some control over it because he could reverse it to destroy himself instead of the opponent. But I think if the only control you have requires suicide, it's not really control.

How do the Creators of the arts know they work before they used it? Especially Internal Energy, since they could've just fire deviated. Like how did Huang Shuang leave his hiding place and was so certain that his 9-Yin works without testing it? Or YG with his weird moves in Sad palms

I mean, how does he test his weird belly move? On the Condor??

And I wonder if any of the creators tried a new move and failed spectacularly and went "oops that didn't work out so well, back to the old technique"

Quote Originally Posted by Snafu3721 View Post
    How do the Creators of the arts know they work before they used it? Especially Internal Energy, since they could've just fire deviated. Like how did Huang Shuang leave his hiding place and was so certain that his 9-Yin works without testing it? Or YG with his weird moves in Sad palms

I mean, how does he test his weird belly move? On the Condor??

And I wonder if any of the creators tried a new move and failed spectacularly and went "oops that didn't work out so well, back to the old technique"
    Wong Seung developed the 9 Yum Jen Ging over a period of forty years. That's plenty of time to test for bugs.

But imagine the process!!

Huang Shuang is sitting there meditating
    "I think I will flow my chi through the Ren Mai Meridian and circulate it on Ying Jian before transferring it to Feng Fu!"

Holy Crap! Fire deviates and gets stuck in an awkward position with loss of bowel movement

"Well, that's not going into the Sanskrit portion!"

Or YG

"Hmm... I am sad... and my heart aches. They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach... stomach..."

Does a weird belly bounce and flails around like a one handed cripple going through epileptic seizure. Knocks out Brother Condor!

"That's it! I'm calling this Wu Zhong Sheng You"

鹿鼎记 is the least "wuxia" among jin yong's novels.

How are we suppose to believe that Duan Yu and Xuzhu, with their god-like speed, could not save XF and Ah Zi, esp when the latter is basically just dragging her feet (and a corpse) along and everyone could see where she was going!

为情所困, without the luck of a wuxia hero. Sigh...