Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts of Wuxia

Laviathan also said that it could be possible that Zhang Wuji could beat Xiao Feng. Does that mean Zhang Wuji ~= Dugu Qiubai?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    What consensus? On this forum alone, there are at least a half-dozen people who aren't convinced that Dook Goo Kau Bai would necessarily prevail over Kiu Fung.
    Half dozen out of several dozens or more = minority.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    The general consensus of the forum, exactly as PJ has said. Even if there are a whole six people that believe Xiao Feng can beat Dugu, that just means the other 90% and general consensus of the forum believe otherwise.
    Only if there are at least sixty people regularly active at this forum.

Really, if you look at the number of people who actually post here *regularly* (i.e. as in at least one appearance per week), that's considerably fewer than sixty. Six people, in this context, would be about half of the active community.

I was under the impression that after the "enlightenment" brought by Laviathan where he turned the forums upside down by saying Condor Greats ~= DGSD elites that it automatically made Dugu > Xiao Feng because everyone believed Dugu > Greats at the least. (even if marginally)
    All it did was knock down the previous automatic assumption that DGSD Elites of the Kiu Fung level were *necessarily* better than the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY Greats. It broke that barrier down, but still, many people continue to believe that Kiu Fung, Siu Yeun San, Mo Yung Bok, and Kau Mor Tze are superior to Gwok Jing, Yeung Gor, Chow Bak Tung, and Wong Yerk See. Blame it on LDA fetish.

Gu Long mentioned in passing that during his youth, Yip Goo Sing had had a lover, but then declined to describe what she was like.

Her death apparently triggered the series of events that led to Yip Soo Sing deciding it would be a good idea to lend his sword skills to the conspiracy to murder the Ming emperor.
    hmmm, must have been some babe!
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Half dozen out of several dozens or more = minority.
    If there's a minority of dissidents, you don't have a consensus.

Consensus comes with near unanimity, or better yet, actual unanimity. The Dook Goo Kau Bai is God camp doesn't have this yet.

Consensus comes with near unanimity, or better yet, actual unanimity. The Dook Goo Kau Bai is God camp doesn't have this yet.
    Whenever there are poll threads and such a lot more than a dozen people come out. Don't we usually get dozens of people in the games ? And I'm not even sure what six people you refer to that believe Dugu cannot beat Xiao Feng. I thought even you, dirt and flamer believed Dugu was at least marginally better -- I can't think of who else.

And besides, of the people who DO post frequently and bother to write more than 2 sentences about Dugu, it is generally believed that Dugu is nowhere near Sweeper but is solidly in front of the Greats. This Dugu is god nonsense is getting annoying when nowhere is that said of in 95% of the coherent posts discussing him.

This Dugu is god nonsense.
    Yes, it is indeed nonsense.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    Laviathan also said that it could be possible that Zhang Wuji could beat Xiao Feng. Does that mean Zhang Wuji ~= Dugu Qiubai?
    If you don't mean to troll, it is posts like these where I think you are attempting to troll.

Your sentence comes out of nowhere, and say things that nobody even mentioned. If you believe Xiao Feng ~= Zhang Wuji and Dugu ~= Xian Feng, then yes there is a possibility that Wuji can beat Dugu.

I never mentioned Xiao Feng being better than Dugu, so I don't know why you're asking the question.

Yes, it is indeed nonsense.

Thank you.
    You are quite a handful to deal with when you're stubborn about something

You are quite a handful to deal with when you're stubborn about something
    I'm the best at what I do.

You do a good job nitpicking about semantics, Mr. English Instructor, but I suspect you knew what I meant.

I used the words 'General consensus' to mean 'a majority opinion'. Yes, it should be evident from historical records that the majority of readers, active or not, believe Dugu Qiubai > Xiao Feng. You of all people, the #1 poster of this forum, must be aware of this. No, there's no 100% consensus on this opinion, and it would be reasonable to assume that I, the #2 poster of this forum, must know this fact well.

If you're looking for a fight, this isn't the place for it.

If you're looking for a fight, this isn't the place for it.
    Anything posted on these forums wherein the general gist of these statements could be gleaned is, to me, a fight:

1. Yeung Gor is the coolest mofo ever (God, it hurt like hell to type that).

2. Dook Goo Kau Bai is invincible (that hurt a little less).

3. Lam Chiu Ying *isn't* a b*tch (I don't even want to describe what typing that felt like).

To me, these are all fighting statements.

Anything posted on these forums wherein the general gist of these statements could be gleaned is, to me, a fight:

1. Yeung Gor is the coolest mofo ever (God, it hurt like hell to type that).

2. Dook Goo Kau Bai is invincible (that hurt a little less).

3. Lam Chiu Ying *isn't* a b*tch (I don't even want to describe what typing that felt like).

To me, these are all fighting statements.
    Except none of these remarks have appeared in this topic. All that was said (or meant) about Dugu Qiubai was that he had consistently been considered to be above Xiao Feng's level by a majority of readers of this forum. I trust you're smart enough to know that is not the same as saying "Dugu Qiubai is invincible."

Relax. There's nothing wrong with the general consensus or your disagreeing with the general consensus. There's no need to pretend like a general consensus isn't there, when it is there. For example, there is a general consensus that Shi Potian is nearly invincible across time, and I don't agree. So I engage in debates, but I don't need to pretend that most people don't seem to agree with me.
    Last edited by PJ; 03-30-10 at 08:21 PM.

Except none of these remarks have appeared in this topic. All that was said (or meant) about Dugu Qiubai was that he had consistently been considered to be above Xiao Feng's level by a majority of readers of this forum. I trust you're smart enough to know that is not the same as saying "Dugu Qiubai is invincible."
    It's not the same, but it ever so subtly pushes him closer to that. We all know how well Kiu Fung's skills are regarded: putting Dook Goo Kau Bai ahead of him without so much as an explication is highly suspicious, from my point of view.

Relax. There's nothing wrong with the general consensus or your disagreeing with the general consensus. There's no need to pretend like a general consensus isn't there.
    No, I can't relax. I will fight for my worldview at any cost.

ANY cost. Remember: I'm the man who would blow up an entire planet just on the chance that one man I'm trying to kill on it MIGHT be there.

It's not the same, but it ever so subtly pushes him closer to that. We all know how well Kiu Fung's skills are regarded: putting Dook Goo Kau Bai ahead of him without so much as an explication is highly suspicious, from my point of view.
    The validity of the general consensus isn't being debated. It was brought up that there DOES APPEAR TO BE a general consensus (i.e. majority opinion), that is all. And you're already agreed, per admitting that your opinion is a minority opinion (which is definitely the case). So as far as I'm concerned, this discussion is over.

The validity of the general consensus isn't being debated. It was brought up that there DOES APPEAR TO BE a general consensus (i.e. majority opinion), that is all. And you're already agreed, per admitting that your opinion is a minority opinion (which is definitely the case). So as far as I'm concerned, this discussion is over.
    I believe tape was much more absolutist in his statement than your interpretation suggests.

And I ALWAYS respond to opposing absolutism with an even HEAVIER brand of my own absolutism. Always.

My hatred justifies everything.

All is one in Darkseid.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.latinoreview.com/images/user/Darkseid.png')

Random Thought # 1

GJ > XF a little bit. Heh.

Random Thought # 2

Can Murong Fu (with WYY's help) take on Taoist ChongXu?

Random Thought # 3

How would Zuo LengChan fare against fighters in HSDS?

Random Thought # 4

Can the Evil-Resisting Swordsmen, Yue Buqun and Lin Pingzhi, take out the 5 ROCH Mongol Mercs (Xiaoxiangzi, Nimoxing, Yin Kexi, Huo Du and Da Erba) in a Team War?

Random Thought # 5
    Having not read the Gu Long novel series, can Chu Liuxiang use his superb Lightness Kungfu to float on water like QQR?

Do we ever see Xiao Feng trying to improve his martial arts at any stage during the story? Or does he just fall victim to conspiracy, make friends, get into fights and drink through the year.

I believe tape was much more absolutist in his statement than your interpretation suggests.

And I ALWAYS respond to opposing absolutism with an even HEAVIER brand of my own absolutism. Always.

My hatred justifies everything.

All is one in Darkseid.
    Well Ken the only thing I can say is that your dislike for Dugu clouds your
    analytical reading skills then. I already clarified that I was speaking for
    the genereal consensus per Dirts comment about it changing to
    mythologize Dugu when it was already the case.

Further all Ive said was that if you believe Xiao = Greats and Greats
    less than Dugu, it doesnt take much to put together Dugu is better
    than Xiao. Considering you have probably read the thousand page
    discussions regarding this topic, which I know you must have more
    or less, I didnt see any reason to have to reiterate them all. You
    put together arguments for why youre being more or less unreasonably
    stubborn in this thread that have nothing to do with what I said and
    expect it to fly because youre number one poster moderator Ken Cheng.
    Its annoying and insulting to say the least.

For example, you questioned one of the points in my post and I obligied with clarifying
    my stance on the issue with two paragraphs. Your response was to quote 4 words
    and shrug it off. Ok I can take that. But then suddenly Im absolutionist...I really wonder
    what you would consider yourself. Ive used plenty of textual evidence to support my
    ideas and whether you agree or not is fine, but you repeatedly saying theyre
    unsubstantiated and calling anyone who believes Dugu is strong is an omgdugu fanboy
    really isnt.

Laviathan called you out on treating anyone who believed YG had any good qualities was
    a fanboy before, and Im going to say youre treating Dugu supporters the same way. Its annoying
    and insulting to someones intelligence and work when they go through the effort of finding novel passages
    and forming a theory and all you do is dismiss them because theyre biased or whatever it is.
    Last edited by tape; 03-30-10 at 11:39 PM.

You should know by now that there is absolutely, 100% no way that any of you will ever convince me that Dook Goo Kau Bai was that great.

Just absolutely no way.

The sensible thing to do would be to stop trying.

Continuing will only cause me to dig my heels in and resist even more. You all should know that by now.