Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts of Wuxia

Quote Originally Posted by yittz View Post
    Meh such stubborness will get him nowhere in wuxia. Unless he's hot and has the protection of a giant wuxia family like guofu.
    Those who survive and thrive are those who have the resilience to continue to stand for what they believe, no matter how much resistance they encounter.

But there's one road I won't go to win: comparing the opponent to possibly the most detested character in wuxia. Who'd stoop that low? Not me.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    Thank you, yittz!

Let's see:
    RWX is a diplomat who knows the law. Good to have around when corrupt officials appear.
    CC is knowledgeable and street-wise. Good to have around when jianghu riff-raff appear.
    Banh (Mi, I assume) is skilled in martial arts. Good to have around when fists, feet and restaurant furniture start to fly.
    Candide has his ways with women. Good to have around when one woman or another needs to be charmed, pacified or otherwise talked/coerced into providing necessary food, shelter, info/intel, etc. ... even if he actually gets a testicle chopped off in the process.

And that's exactly why we need to add you (yittz) to the gang. Someone needs to patch us up properly when we get into trouble.

Besides, how can we not drag you along for the ride after you've named us as people who would most likely survive being thrown into a wuxia novel?

Me? I'll just slip away to some mountain, cave, valley or other hard-to-access place and indulge in music, chess, literature and art.
    Sorry team, I'll be too busy sneaking off to remote cliffs and valleys, digging through old Sword Graves, Caves, Caverns and eating every single odd-coloured insect, amphibian, fish, silkworm (except the bigger Apes and Birds) together with snake gall bladders.

If I somehow survive months of that.... MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!

打败天下无敌手,今世无弊无缺圣,无所不能独尊帝,剑神神剑CC侠!!!

Don't worry, I'll let you guys be my Sect Elders/Guardian Lords. Can't be running the daily affairs and intimidating everyone myself since I need to have quality time with the Sect Virgins (temporary oxymoron there).
    Last edited by CC; 04-04-10 at 04:59 AM.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Good to know my testicles have been on the minds of you all during Easter.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

I forgot all about Easter! No wonder, now so many things make sense. I only concerned myself with Qingming.

I have the dubious honor of possessing a pair of "Zhang Fei eyes" or "rabbit eyes." To speak plainly, I sleep with my eyes half way open instead of fully shut. Yes, this is creepy to me too, for I wasn't told this until I was an adult although both my parents and brothers were aware that I slept like this...even as a child. The eyes are shut at first, but as soon as REM sleep hits, they slowly open...

Not speaking of myself in specific, but it's said that people who sleep like this are extremely alert, quick, and cautious. Now I've never seen a competent wuxia character sleep with their eyes open, if they sleep at all. Instead, they almost always wake at the slightest sound or percieved movement. Why is this? Do they just catnap or just have an extra awareness/sensory alert that others don't have? I am suspicious that a couple of them do indeed sleep with eyes open or half open to trick opportunist, hence why we never see any heavy sleepers. Someone like Jing Wu Ming comes to mind...who else?
    Last edited by ByTmE; 04-04-10 at 04:40 PM.
    I like me.

There is no doubt that recently I have developed a strong fondness for Ma Guangzhuo... I mean zuo.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Default Yang Guo

Hello, I'm very late to the party, and I've read comments here about Yang Guo, I guess I have some opinion. But I'm too lazy to start a new thread, so I'll do it here.

I'm not a fan of Yang Guo, because I know that he's just a fictional character, and I would not be able or would do some of the things he did. But I can identify myself with him in certain situations. For example, the guy started out as an independent and stubborn kid. Otherwise how else would he decided to just live on his own after his mother died? Please note that my knowledge about the story was from the novel, not the tv series. And I think that is the trait that defined his actions from that point on.

So being a self sufficient kid who fends for himself, he was able to do things as he pleases, then he was taken to the Peach Blossom island and expected to be live within the rules of others, and he was blamed for being a rebel? From where I see it, wild kids or for that matter, wild animals don't tend to tame easily. Especially those who demonstrated strong characters. This is why in my opinion, it's not easy to turn older adoptive kids into normal kids as if they live with their parents all their lives. And although their rebellious acts might be viewed as unreasonable and destructive to themselves and those around them, but unless they are understood and loved, that's how many of the older adoptive kids turn out: burden of societies.

And what did Yang Guo acts got him? To me, he did not get away with much. He got beat up by the Wu brothers, Guo Fu. Huang Rong made sure that he is not taught kungfu at Peach Blossom island, then he was kicked to Quanzhen sect. If this is real life, for a kid, that's dramatic. That would re-enforce the feeling that he's not wanted. Then when he got to Quanzhen sect, instead of getting taken care of as a orphan, he was treated with suspicion, and contempt. Granted that if Yang Guo was not mischievous and head strong, he might have survived at Quanzhen. But many older orphan kids are like that. Now you might say that such behavior is unreasonable and destructive to him and others around him. But in reality that is how some older orphan kids behaved. And yes, such behavior is destructive and those kids invariably end up as burden to society. But that's how it is in real life as well. And in Yang Guo case he ended up being beaten and had to basically fled for his life.

He was very fortunate that he met Grandma Sun and then was taken in by Xiao Longnu. But other than that I don't find him to be treated better by JY. I find the fault more with the adults who was in contact with Yang Guo. If Huang Rong did not want to teach him Kungfu, then that's fine. But she has to be able to find out how the fight started and take care of the situation equitably. Granted that you can't always find out everything about kids. But hey, Huang Rong was suppposed to be the smartest woman/person around. And if she cannot get to the bottom of the situation, then whose fault was it? Certainly was not Yang Guo fault for fight back when he was cornered. And what about that Ke Zhen E? He cannot look past the little kid who just happen to have learnt a skill from his enemy? But he was or suppposed to be the grand father who would persuade Guo Jing to forgive Guo Fu later on for chopping Yang Guo's arm off? And what about Qiu Chuji? The first thing to do with Yang Guo was colored with how his fater, Yang Kang turned out, and gave him a lecture how he was expected to behave? OK he's allowed to give him tough love. But how long was Yang Guo at Qungzhen? That was the tough part, but where was the love? Sure he can blame on circumstance and Zhao Zhijing for lying to him. But again, hey it happened on his watch. It's might not be his direct fault, just as it might not be Huang Rong's or Guo Jing's direct fault. But these injustices happened on their watch. So if they are not to blame, then Yang Guo was not to blame either. Blame the guy lucky enough to be taken in by Xiao Longnu. But how else can they get together?

In my headcanon, after A Zi takes Xiao Feng down the cliff, they land on different locations (due to velocity, the wind, etc.). Then You Tanzhi jumps off the cliff and lands on top of A Zi, so their bodies are locked together. i.e. A Zi get to rot away with You Tanzhi instead of with Xiao Feng. Ha.

I wish the older actors in those 1980's series were a little taller, because it's somewhat ridiculous that these supposedly all-powerful wulin figures are markedly shorter than the young 'uns.

Quote Originally Posted by leorio View Post
    I wish the older actors in those 1980's series were a little taller, because it's somewhat ridiculous that these supposedly all-powerful wulin figures are markedly shorter than the young 'uns.

Well, in the novels, some of these all powerful elites like TSTL and MRB were supposed to be pretty pint sized.

But yes, it is annoying to see a scrawny XF.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Yeah, and in DGSD 1997 & 2003, Tianshan Tonglao is aptly petite. I was thinking of characters like the Five Greats and Jiu Mozhi when I wrote the previous post.

Another random thought: You know how, in many scenes, when the characters are talking and the extras do nothing but stand or sit around? Sometimes these extras get bored and their boredom is recorded on tape. In HSDS 2003, when a Shaolin monk is speaking at the opening of the Lion-Killing Meeting, you can see an Emei disciple on the background, talking freely to the person next to her and scratching at her hot skin.
    And sometimes moments like this just can't be edited out - or of they can, it'd ruin the whole scene.

Quote Originally Posted by leorio
    In HSDS 2003, when a Shaolin monk is speaking at the opening of the Lion-Killing Meeting, you can see an Emei disciple on the background, talking freely to the person next to her and scratching at her hot skin.
    Normal human behaviour. Makes the scene more natural and less contrived.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Did anyone count how many times Yang Guo risked his life and/or went out of his way to save Guo Fu's life? I lost count after the 4th time or so.

Considering how much grief Guo Fu caused him, Yang Guo was a saint for being so altruistic to her.

Lost interest in chinese wuxia recently. prefer korean drama.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    Did anyone count how many times Yang Guo risked his life and/or went out of his way to save Guo Fu's life? I lost count after the 4th time or so.

Considering how much grief Guo Fu caused him, Yang Guo was a saint for being so altruistic to her.
    let's count. YG save GF twice from GWM, one at the passionless valley, one when she was stuck in the fire out of ancient tomb. i think that's all, rite? yeah. YG is really sth for just saving her for so many times when she acted so unreasonable.

I've got a dozen or so new wuxia topics ready on standby, but I'm holding off on deploying them because they might be needed for the national defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic85 View Post
    let's count. YG save GF twice from GWM, one at the passionless valley, one when she was stuck in the fire out of ancient tomb. i think that's all, rite? yeah. YG is really sth for just saving her for so many times when she acted so unreasonable.
    Don't forget when she was about to be killed by Huodu.

There's probably more

Don't forget when she was about to be killed by Huodu.

There's probably more
    PJ - two words: NATIONAL DEFENSE.

You're either with us, or you're with the terrorists.

You want to be like Bush?

You want to be like Bush?
    That depends on who the enemy is.

I've really had only one enemy my entire life, but oh...what an enemy!

I'm probably also the only one who knows what I'm talking about here.

That's OK.

Both Liberals and Conservatives have an all or nothing attitude. I blame the Civil War.