Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts of Wuxia

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew View Post
    Most likely - vegetarian food was really "qing" in those days. None of the mock fish, mock duck, mock charsiu (which tastes better than real charsiu) and other stuff which vegetarians eat these days. It's fine if you're eating it for health or humanitarian reasons, but some religious people (not all, for sure) I know refuse to even eat those, and insist on the bland stuff. Does them credit, I think. When my granddad died we had some nuns for his funeral, and I remember being quite shocked when the nuns recommended a restaurant for my uncle to get food for them, and it was like steamed soonhock fish, and other kinds of exotic stuff which I couldn't believe was vegetarian. Maybe in spirit it really isn't.
    But the Vegetarian soy sauce, salt, pepper, and fermented tofu--are these condiments allowed or were they living just mainly on Bok Choy, Corn, Rice, Noodles, Sweet Potatoes, Potatoes, soy beans, soy milk and other vegetarian food with no additional flavor? Was eggs out of the diet too?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Just a random thought I had some time ago, but didn't get a chance to post here until now.

When was cooking oil like corn oil, olive oil and the like invented? Didn't people used to cook using animal fat like pig fat and stuff to fry and cook food that requires oil? My point is...what did strictly vegetarian nuns and Shaolin monks cook with? I don't think they're allowed to eat fried food that used animal fat to cook it. So was it mostly boiled and steamed food?
    seasame oil? *shrug*

maybe they favored boiling/steaming over frying instead.

Random thought:

Zhang SanFeng has got have the worst birthdays ever. Let's see, on his 90th, his third disciple got beaten to half-death and is crippled for the next 20 years, while on his 100th, his favourite disciple and his wife commit suicide right in front of him and their son is left to him with a virtually uncurable illness. What horrible, horrible ways to spend your big day.

When will I be interested in wuxia again?

Quote Originally Posted by shrang View Post
    Random thought:

Zhang SanFeng has got have the worst birthdays ever. Let's see, on his 90th, his third disciple got beaten to half-death and is crippled for the next 20 years, while on his 100th, his favourite disciple and his wife commit suicide right in front of him and their son is left to him with a virtually uncurable illness. What horrible, horrible ways to spend your big day.
    that's what happens when you have too many birthdays...probability says a few of them ought to suck

Huang Yaoshi is an idiot. Never understood why everyone loves this a**hole so much.

Right now, I totally feel like Guo Jing near the end of LOCH when he was confused about everything:

"While I spent my whole life learning martial arts, but what am I good for? I cannot even protect my mother and Rong'er [he thought she was dead]. What's the use of knowing martial arts? I wanted to be a good person, but to whom was I good to? Mother and Rong'er both died because of me, while Hua Zhen will be miserable for the rest of her life because of me. I have caused the demise of many people.

Wanyan Honglie and the King of the other country are bad men. But how about Genghis Khan? He killed Wanyan Honglie, so he should be good, but then he commanded me to attack China. He took care of myself and mother for 20 years, but in the end it was he who repressed my mother to death.

Yang Kang was my sworn brother, yet he was not loyal. Mu Nianci is a good girl, why did she fall for Yang Kang? Brother Toulei is my best friend, but if he comes to attack China, will we fight on opposite sites? ....."

==============================
    My brain is like this right now:

"Should I be authentic at work? Who am I really? If I have an offbeat personality, can I be like that in the workplace? How can I work at a place that combines passion and collective intelligence to do something useful for society? My company is too inefficient. How can I move to a vibrant place, but not work too much, so that I still have time to enjoy my life?
    What are my skills? What direction should I pursue now? Which is more important to me ultimately, career or my personal life?"
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

PJ

Those are questions I believe most people think about quite often.

The best solution-- start your own business

If that doesn't seem viable-- first plan out your goal. With no goal, there is no purporse. No purpose means no direction. No direction means no idea what the heck to do!

How come there isn't any worshipping thread for Gu Long characters or characters by any other wuxia novelist?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

How come there isn't any worshipping thread for Gu Long characters or characters by any other wuxia novelist?
    I guess it's the Jin Yong-centric history of this forum. On another forum, WuxiaSociety (or whatever it's called now), it's Gu Long-centric.

Until a Gu Long advocate comes here and turns SPCNET upside down, it will remain Jin Yong-dominant.

Maybe not enough detail except for the main characters, and the side characters are always more interesting.

I think Feng San and Wang Lianhua are awesome.

I've *tried*. I've tried *very hard*, *many* times.

But no matter what, it's always "Sai Mun Chui Sheut is no match for Yin 13 and Little Lee's Flying Dagger wins because he's righteous. Yawn. Let's talk about Gwok Jing vs. Yeung Gor again."

OK. That's an exaggeration. It's more like this:

*Ken posts a half-dozen Gu Long topics.*

*Crickets chirping*

Hey...I *tried*. One man doesn't a revolution make.

Althought I haven't read a lot of Gu Long works...

I think the problem is that debating in Gulong is even more subjective than JY. All his stories and characters are very abstract and the ideas are more conceptual.

For Gu Long, it would be like debating whether Huang Shang can defeat DGQB. It's just so vague that we can't even draw relatively good guesses.
    Last edited by Snafu3721; 01-11-11 at 02:13 AM.

I wish we have more threads on the awesome kickass White Haired Maiden from Liang Yusheng's novel Baifa Monu Zhuan. That is one of my favourite Wuxia novels of all time and it is a shame for me that there are virtually no discussions about her in this forum. I certainly love her much more than the irritating to no end Xiaolongnu of Jin Yong.

Just finished watching The Legend of the Book and Sword '87 and I really liked Lee Yuen Chi and Fok Ching Tong. It's too bad Fok Ching Tong ended up with nothing and no one. : /
    Less Than Perfect

OK. I've just posted two new LUK SIU FUNG (Gu Long) topics.

Watch them get zero responses and then complain that it's my fault because I'm obsessed with hating Yeung Gor...

Hah! If they both get massive responses, I'll eat my shirt!

I never get credit for starting multiple Gu Long topics, but I always get blamed for starting Yeung Gor-related ones.

just saw a cat that looked like Ouyang Feng.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    just saw a cat that looked like Ouyang Feng.
    Somehow, I keep thinking Huang Yaoshi whenever "cat" is mentioned...

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Ying Ying View Post
    Somehow, I keep thinking Huang Yaoshi whenever "cat" is mentioned...
    I always think of HYS as a lion, I guess that's why they like casting him as Xie Xun.