Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Thoughts of Wuxia

I think now I know why Jin Yong characters are so bad at estimating other ppl's martial arts level, especially when time has elapsed. I have the same problem assuming people are still the same way they were when I last saw them. I cannot assume that any more!
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ View Post
    I think now I know why Jin Yong characters are so bad at estimating other ppl's martial arts level, especially when time has elapsed. I have the same problem assuming people are still the same way they were when I last saw them. I cannot assume that any more!
    nothing stays the same forever but we all tend to forget that.

This is true. We tend to overestimate ourselves quite a bit. If we were to improve greatly in an area, it's a natural assumption that someone who was equal to us is now inferior to us. We rarely account for their rate of improvement.

I want to kill Zhou Yihang and his four martial uncles.
    Why he is so indecisive. Why he is not standing up for Yu Luocha.
    Oh, I never felt so frustrated with fictional character (even with ZWJ).

Most hated protagonist of all time for me.

Wudang Pai's four Elders are stupid ox nosed cynical pretenders.

I hate them all.
    "Big Hero Linghu kills frogs with the Dugu Nine Swords!”

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    I want to kill Zhou Yihang and his four martial uncles.
    Why he is so indecisive. Why he is not standing up for Yu Luocha.
    Oh, I never felt so frustrated with fictional character (even with ZWJ).

Most hated protagonist of all time for me.

Wudang Pai's four Elders are stupid ox nosed cynical pretenders.

I hate them all.
    that's y i admire YG and XLN and they are my fav couple. they stand up for each other and they wud do anything for their love. Zhou Yihang and ZWJ are pretty much the same. indecisive. cant really decide which one i hate more between them.

Quote Originally Posted by odbayarb2000 View Post
    I want to kill Zhou Yihang
    Couldn't help but notice: It should be Zhuo Yihang.

Couldn't help but notice: It should be Zhuo Yihang.
    How many of these Zhuo/Cheuk guys are there, anyway? In all my life, I've never met one, and the only ones I've encountered up to this point are the wuxia characters and the character Cheuk (Zhuo) 1 Fu from TVB's 1980 series THE SHELL GAME. That's it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    How many of these Zhuo/Cheuk guys are there, anyway?
    It's a much obscure last name compared to its commonly mispelled neighbor Zhou (Chou/Chow).

Another wuxia character is Zhuo Donglai from "Heroes Shed No Tears."

It's a much obscure last name compared to its commonly mispelled neighbor Zhou (Chou/Chow).
    Chow is very common, of course. It's my mother's maiden surname.

In DGSD, Xiao Feng performed a feat combining his force with Ding Chunqiu's attacking force, and redirected the combined force to attack You Tanzhi + Murong Fu. It is sometimes thought an unparalleled feat, but now I find that Ouyang Feng did a similar thing in LOCH:

黄药师脸色微变,左掌推出,挡在女儿身前。
    欧阳锋的去劲被黄药师一挡,立时乘势收回,反打郭靖。这一招除了他
    本身原劲,还借着黄药师那一挡之力
    ,更加非同小可。

By the way, has anyone counted the # of times in LOCH when Guo Jing declared that he would die if he lost Huang Rong? It may be on par with Yang Guo!

When my boss cussed me out today, I wanted to "dim" his "yut" so he'll stfu.

When I parked BFF wearing my heels today, I wanted to use my "hing gong" and gallop across the parking lot.
    Hatred is a curve blade. The harm we do to others, we also do to ourselves.

i tell you, some ppl argue for the sake of arguing.

By the way, has anyone counted the # of times in LOCH when Guo Jing declared that he would die if he lost Huang Rong? It may be on par with Yang Guo!
    None that stand out.

Besides, when Gwok Jing says it, he doesn't mean it in some metaphorical way: he means it in a practical way. Wong Yung literally bailed him out of many treacherous situations, especially in their early days together. Had Gwok Jing been left to his own devices, he might well have been killed (numerous times). I think Gwok Jing means it in that sense.

Like Ken said, i think GJ meant that he wud die without her help, not that he wud die for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic85 View Post
    Like Ken said, i think GJ meant that he wud die without her help, not that he wud die for her.
    Well, he *would* if it came down to that, but that's not the sense that he meant it when he said it. It's not in character for Gwok Jing to say such things (for such a reason). He might believe it, but he wouldn't necessarily articulate it. It's not whom he is.

I'm pretty sure he's told her multiple times that he'd rather die than live without her, if she'd die then he'd no longer be in this world, etc.

Nobody really was as interested in his love life as everyone seemed to be with Yang Guo's (except the 7 Freaks in the beginning) so he didn't really need to talk about it. Yang Guo on the other hand seemed to be questioned about it and constantly separated from XLN along with mishaps involving death, poison, and injuries which naturally makes a person express their love for the other person. Guo Jing had relatively smooth sailing with Huang Rong except for the brief stint at the end, and ethen he threatened to execute people if Huang Rong was not brought to him immediately! He expressed his love for her openly and repeatedly, it's just he wasn't as unfortunate as Yang Guo in the sense that he was separated from her every other chapter under life and death situations.
    Last edited by tape; 08-26-10 at 02:56 AM.

DGQB was a fraud who switched from Iron Sword to Wooden Sword because he became too frail to lift the former...and covered it up with some BS sword philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    Besides, when Gwok Jing says it, he doesn't mean it in some metaphorical way: he means it in a practical way. Wong Yung literally bailed him out of many treacherous situations, especially in their early days together. Had Gwok Jing been left to his own devices, he might well have been killed (numerous times). I think Gwok Jing means it in that sense.
    Unfortunately, it is the sentimental "Yang Guo-esque" way that Guo Jing meant it. As in: Rong-er, if you're not around, my heart will be broken, and I don't want to live any more. He said it during the several times when people were trying to separate them or when they were in danger.

I think he said it at least 5 times in that way. I'll try to dig out the instances.

Although it's more of an exaggeration since Guo Jing CAN take it even without Huang Rong, but it just shows that he expresses his love similar to how Yang Guo does it.

Reading all these, my random thought of the day is 'When was the last time we had an active GJ vs YG thread going'?
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CC View Post
    Reading all these, my random thought of the day is 'When was the last time we had an active GJ vs YG thread going'?
    The forum does appear to be slowing down a bit...probably time for one of those. Or maybe Dugu vs the world thread.