Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Xia Ke Xing translation

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    You did this yourself too. I'm just following your footsteps.
    Yay, 青出于蓝而胜于蓝, so I can retire to Pulau Redang at last!!!

*leaves for Pulau Redang at once ... without computer*
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 09-01-05 at 10:25 AM.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    Things are actually less simple and more sinister than this. As SevenFortunes said, this story is pretty weird ... and with twists and turns that are rather uncharacteristic of Jin Yong, it will get weirder.

If you (meaning crazy_horse, not kidd) want to hazard a guess and receive the next update via PM before it is posted here, go ahead! I still have a few more "special update PMs" to give out!

Sorry, kidd. You don't qualify to play because you've seen the serialised adaptation of the novel.
    You're right. Jing Yong's novel is usually simple. This novel is more like a Gu Long's one.
    btw, are you a Malaysian? I'm from Indonesia.

Yay, 青出于蓝而胜于蓝, so I can retire to Pulau Redang at last!!!

*leaves for Pulau Redang at once ... without computer*
    What r u going to do there after u get tired of snorkeling?
    Last edited by kidd; 09-07-05 at 08:21 AM.

When I watched the series, I thought Shi Jian hated Shi Po Tian. I'm surprised that she cried when she thought SPT has really lost his mind and she couldn't help smiling when he said something funny and even joked a bit herself.
    Last edited by kidd; 09-07-05 at 08:33 AM.

Huang Yushi, thank you so much for your precious efforts! This is a great story and I for one, am very happy with the translation

I'm suprised that many here seem to think that this is different from other JY novels. I on the contrary, found lots of JY themes in this one;

1- hero learns martial arts by not so normal circumstances

2- hero and mother relationship

3- weird master who is not evil but who is not very good either

these are the first that came to mind off hand, not to mention the mountain top (JY liked mountain tops)

I eagerly look forward to the upcoming translations

What r u going to do there after u get tired of snorkeling?
    VEGETATE, what else! It's nice to get away once in a while! But like all holidays, this one was simply too short-lived ...
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 09-08-05 at 01:45 AM.
    Soon ... SOON!

Chapter 4 has been updated in its original post:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showpost...&postcount=161

Xie Yanke clashes with the Clan of Eternal Happiness, and he ....

---

Quote Originally Posted by SevenFortunes
    Ooooh
    Now THAT is a nice motivator, thanks!
    Got your PM! Glad you enjoyed the special update! There's a bit more in the update that I have finally posted, so have fun!

HYS
    Soon ... SOON!

When I watched the series, I thought Shi Jian hated Shi Po Tian. I'm surprised that she cried when she thought SPT has really lost his mind and she couldn't help smiling when he said something funny and even joked a bit herself.
    I don't know; to me, Shi Jian did not look as if she "hated" Shi Potian in the series. But I think she only got terribly upset when he got horny.
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by eliza bennet
    Huang Yushi, thank you so much for your precious efforts! This is a great story and I for one, am very happy with the translation ... I eagerly look forward to the upcoming translations
    Hi Eliza, good to hear from you again, and thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you are still enjoying the story.

I'm suprised that many here seem to think that this is different from other JY novels. I on the contrary, found lots of JY themes in this one;
    1- hero learns martial arts by not so normal circumstances
    Yeah, that's almost a JY trademark!

2- hero and mother relationship
    I guess that's expected for Gouzazhong because he has had no one (not even human neighbours) since young. So it's quite natural that he forms a relationship/bond with his mother, despite her apparent mean-ness towards him.

3- weird master who is not evil but who is not very good either
    Now, that's a bit debatable. Xie Yanke is weird, but can he be considered Gouzazhong's "master"? Any thoughts about this from anyone else?

these are the first that came to mind off hand, not to mention the mountain top (JY liked mountain tops)
    If you have any more, let me know. I'm sure everyone would like to see what other similarities this story has with other JY yarns.

Enjoy the update!
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_horse
    btw, are you a Malaysian? I'm from Indonesia.
    Iya, apa kabar?
    Soon ... SOON!

Thumbs up

Iya, apa kabar?
    glad you're back, I have been to Malaysia many times. It is a beautiful country

Thank you so much for the speedy update Huang Yushi

You are probably right about the use of "master" - I should have said that JY hero usually encounters this type of weird old martial art expert and learn something from this expert. Since there is no official acceptance etc. involved, one can not call Xie Yangke GZZ's master.

This story is indeed very interesting. I'm really curious about what the Clan of Eternal Happiness have up their sleeves?

Another resemblence is that the communication accidents among the jiang hu population. There is always some vicious fight breaking because people don't really understand eachother (and since JY is the best among the writers to describe fighting, I'm really happy about this plot device even though sometimes it feels really frustrating (especially some in LOCH)

Heh heh...

Well, Huang Yushi asked what other similarities YKY had to Jin Yong's other books, and I am procrastinating, so I figured I would comply...

While I don't claim to be a JY expert, he seems to generally follow a pattern-
    1) The protagonist starts out relatively weak
    2) He has to show his moral charater *before* he has any power to back it up
    3) He learns some massive kung-fu, usually by luck/fate
    4) He has to show that he maintains his integrity, even after he gets power
    5) Tons and tons of women fall for him (Okay, this one isn't always true...)

I will readily admit that there are exceptions- Smiling proud wanderer threw me for that reason, 'cause you had to wait till the story got in a ways (and more powerful players were introduced) before #1 was true. And Book and Sword seems to be before he settled on that pattern (I think...)

In contrast, authors like GL use a totally different structure.

Anyway, 1) GZZ is a 11-year old beggar, who lost his mom and his dog. Yeah, he is pretty weak. 2)He won't beg, gives food to XY, risks his life to help Dabei Laoren, etc. 3) Gets the black steel symbol and the figures, XY as at least a mentor...

I guess I will have to wait and see for 4 and 5...

Okay, should get some work done...

---------------------------minor spoiler------------------------------------

From the inner thoughts of Shi Jian and Jian Fei, Shi Po Tian (the 'real' one, not GouZhaZhong) seems to be a very vicious person to dealt with people who offend him horribly. Everyone Eternal Happiness Sect member seems to be afraid of him. I really can't see how, in such a circumstance, Shi Jian can maintain her virginity. SPT gets whatever he wants in the Sect. How hard is it to tie a maid down and do whatever he wants with her? In the series, Shi Jian has a poisoneous pet lizard to protect her, but in the book, she doesn't have one (at least not yet, up to the part where I read). All she did is 以死相胁. I guess either SPT really cared about her (thus not wanting her to die) or he doesn't want to go overboard (causing someone's death) and getting himself into big trouble.

Shi Jian is immensely likeable. She's down to earth, not a very good fighter, resourceful and intelligent, yet not the sort who can make miracles happen and have a powerful relative who can back her up. She's also honest, and a very loyal friend. Which makes me wish JY would rewrite her fate in his 3rd edition..... I absolutely hated that part, especially since there didn't seem to be any satisfactory closure to the episode...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew
    Shi Jian is immensely likeable. She's down to earth, not a very good fighter, resourceful and intelligent, yet not the sort who can make miracles happen and have a powerful relative who can back her up. She's also honest, and a very loyal friend. Which makes me wish JY would rewrite her fate in his 3rd edition..... I absolutely hated that part, especially since there didn't seem to be any satisfactory closure to the episode...
    According to Athena, Jin Yong has rewritten Shi Jian's fate. 2 Major changes in the 3rd edition of XKX is Shi Jian's fate and SPT's feelings (who he loves).

The encounter of SPT with Hua Wan Zhi was pretty funny. I especially like the part where he invited her to his room to eat bird's nest. SPT's dialog was so funny. Another part I like was when SPT ran away from Hua Wan Zhi in split-second speed when she tried to attack him. Reminds me of those cartoon characters that run like a gust of wind. Swoosh! and reach to the other end in split second.

The more I read the book, the more I'm interested in the relationship between GouZhaZhong and his mother. There are glimpses from the past that shows GZZ's mother to be very abusive towards her son, beating him over small to non-existant offenses and ignoring him for days. But, on the other hand, she also told him stories and taught him manners. Some of the things she taught him really was strange e.g. how to address women of different ages. There were only mother and son living in the woods, why taught him such things but not others (e.g stealing is wrong)? From all the knowledge GZZ gained from his mother's stories, she must also have told him lots and lots of stories. Also, GZZ speaks without caution. It shows that at home, other than begging/asking his mother for something, he can speak freely without fear.
    Last edited by kidd; 09-12-05 at 09:17 PM.

I found SPT's infatuation with Ding Dang very sweet.

Thanks for the update, Huang Yushi! Initially I wasn't very interested in this one, but it has been growing on me.

Okay, I have an odd question for people who are more familiar with the story. Was the SB movie "Xiao za zhong" based on Xia Ke Xing? I do not know how I got that idea in my head- superficial similarities, I guess. But Xia za zhong really depressed me, so I kind of hope not...

Thanks!

Chapter 4 has been updated in its original post:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showpost...&postcount=161

I've been busy, so it's a bit short. My apologies.

HYS
    Soon ... SOON!