Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Xia Ke Xing translation

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    Thank you. I hope you are enjoying it so far.

Would you please give me some feedback on the "Facts and Figures" of XKX?
    http://www.wuxiapedia.com/novels/ind...ts_and_figures
    Is it a helpful companion to the story?
    Read your "Facts and Figures" of XKX a few days ago. I see that u didn't include the white sword in your list of weapon. Maybe u r waiting for the book to mention it's special name like "Inky Sword" for the black sword, but it doesn't have 1. Near the end of Chapter 2, the book describe how a person inside a 轿 snatch the swords from the Snow Mountain Sect disciple. The black sword was called 墨剑 but the book only called the white sword as 白剑.

Btw, this section is indeed helpful as a companion to the story. Good for refreshing memory on who is who.

thanks Huang Yushi for translating

letting you know I am a reader here . I haven't read this novel yet, but I'll be following along in my native language translation(which is only the 1st edition[the reason why I haven't read it yet]).

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Read your "Facts and Figures" of XKX a few days ago. I see that u didn't include the white sword in your list of weapon. Maybe u r waiting for the book to mention it's special name like "Inky Sword" for the black sword, but it doesn't have 1. Near the end of Chapter 2, the book describe how a person inside a 轿 snatch the swords from the Snow Mountain Sect disciple. The black sword was called 墨剑 but the book only called the white sword as 白剑.
    Btw, this section is indeed helpful as a companion to the story. Good for refreshing memory on who is who.
    I'm glad you found the "Facts and Figures" useful. I wasn't waiting for the White Sword to have a special name, but for it to be mentioned in the posted translation before adding it to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiHan
    thanks Huang Yushi for translating
    letting you know I am a reader here . I haven't read this novel yet, but I'll be following along in my native language translation (which is only the 1st edition [the reason why I haven't read it yet]).
    You're welcome. Thank you for reading. Chapter 2 starts off quite slowly but some action takes place later. Do let me know if you come across any significant differences between the 1st and the 2nd editions.

---

Chapter 2 has been updated on 8 Aug 2005 in its original post.
    Please see:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showpost...7&postcount=94
    It's a looong one!

Chapter 2 is coming to an end, so I hope to get that and the beginning of Chapter 3 done by the next update.

HYS
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 08-08-05 at 07:27 AM.

I'm glad you found the "Facts and Figures" useful. I wasn't waiting for the White Sword to have a special name, but for it to be mentioned in the posted translation before adding it to the list.

You're welcome. Thank you for reading. Chapter 2 starts off quite slowly but some action takes place later. Do let me know if you come across any significant differences between the 1st and the 2nd editions.
    will do, but since I'm reading a translation; there might be some unfaithful changes.

I think there was something different in Chapter 1, but I'm can't remember what it is. When I found out, I'll inform you later.

will do, but since I'm reading a translation; there might be some unfaithful changes.

I think there was something different in Chapter 1, but I'm can't remember what it is. When I found out, I'll inform you later.

I think the gender of Wu Daotong was different. The version I read had a male Wu Daotong, but a translation I read on another site had a female Wu Daotong - not sure if it was because of a different version.

Ian Liew, congratulations on your boy

Huang Yushi, thank you so much for translating this story. It is going great so far!

thanky thanky yushi tushy!

Thanks! Appreciate it, TaiHan!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Liew
    I think the gender of Wu Daotong was different. The version I read had a male Wu Daotong, but a translation I read on another site had a female Wu Daotong - not sure if it was because of a different version.
    Ian, do you know/remember where that translation/site is, the one where Wu Daotong is female? Might save me from reinventing the wheel!

Quote Originally Posted by eliza bennet
    Huang Yushi, thank you so much for translating this story. It is going great so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessRydia
    thanky thanky yushi tushy!
    You're welcome, eliza and Rydia. I'm glad you are enjoying the story. The end of Chapter 2 will be coming up in a couple of days or less, followed by the beginning of Chapter 3. Until then, cheers!

Thanks! Appreciate it, TaiHan!

Ian, do you know/remember where that translation/site is, the one where Wu Daotong is female? Might save me from reinventing the wheel!
    actually the link is posted on the fourth post of this forums hehe

http://www.geocities.com/jinyongnove...hchapter1.html

actually the link is posted on the fourth post of this forums hehe
    http://www.geocities.com/jinyongnove...hchapter1.html
    Thanks! Reading it, I'm guessing that either Wu Daotong was female in the 1st edition (since my copy is the 2nd ed) or the translator at that link took the text from a second-hand (or later) source.

Can someone who has read the 1st ed in the original Chinese verify the gender of Wu Daotong (in Chapter 1 of OTG/XKX), please?

Default OTG/XKX - Chap 3 - COMPLETE!

Ode to Gallantry (Xia Ke Xing)
    by Jin Yong

Chapter 3 - The Skyscraping Cliff

http://www.wuxiapedia.com/novels/ind...ntry/chapter_3

-
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 07-24-06 at 07:33 AM.

I wonder why both Ding Bu 3 and Xie Yanke hated Bai Zizai so much.

Some observations:

1) The Black Steel Symbol must be very light. If it was heavy, it would make the biscuit which contain the metal exceptionally heavy. How can anyone not notice something unusual in such a biscuit?

2) The little begger is weird. Not long ago, he was nearly frighten to death by the Wu Daotong and the sword wielding Snow Mountain gang and Xie Yanke has just threaten to kill him and shouted at him and has even made movement to strike him. But he can still laugh when he saw Xie Yanke laughed. If I were him, I would be too frighten to laugh seeing Xie Yanke acted so weirdly.

Chapter 3 is so funny. It's hilarious seeing Xie Yanke trying all ways to coax and cheat Gouzazhong into begging him and failing miserably. He was so desperate that simple things like buying food and answering questions also count as long as Gouzazhong include the word 'beg' in his request. But this little guy just wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by kidd; 08-16-05 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    I wonder why both Ding Bu 3 and Xie Yanke hated Bai Zizai so much.

Some observations:

1) The Black Steel Symbol must be very light. If it was heavy, it would make the biscuit which contain the metal exceptionally heavy. How can anyone not notice something unusual in such a biscuit?

2) The little begger is weird. No long ago, he was nearly frighten to death by the Wu Daotong and the sword wielding Snow Mountain gang and Xie Yanke has just threaten to kill him and shouted at him and has even made movement to strike him. But he can still laugh when he saw Xie Yanke laughed. If I were him, I would too frighten to laugh seeing Xie Yanke acted so weirdly.

Chapter 3 is so funny. It's hilarious seeing Xie Yanke trying all ways to coax and cheat Gouzazhong into begging him and failing miserably. He was so desperate that simple things like buying food and answering questions also count as long as Gouzazhong include the word 'beg' in his request. But this little guy just wouldn't do it.
    Chapter 3 is absolutely delightful. Xie Yanke's thoughts alone were worth the weight of the entire book in gold.

I think the symbol would be the size of a very large coin. Probably not very thick, but big enough in diameter that Shi Qing would know that the bundle of coins didn't contain the symbol.

1) I can't remember why Xie Yanke didn't like Old Bai, but Ding Busan's grudge with him will be revealed later in the plot.

2) I think it's the difference between the fear of being scolded and being killed, vs the fear of the supernatural and being completely helpless. Mongrel was terrified of walking corpses and living dead, and as he wasn't the focus of the big fight happening probably decided to hide away. However, when put in a position where he is part of the issue, he displays good courage and character, and is not easily intimidated by others. Years of being bullied by his mother molded him well.

A question, though, I translated Gouzazhong as 'Mongrel' because I took the word 'Gou' literally as a 'dog', hence the phrase meaning 'dog half-breed' meaning mongrel. Is the 'gou' literal, or purely derogatory?

2) I think it's the difference between the fear of being scolded and being killed, vs the fear of the supernatural and being completely helpless. Mongrel was terrified of walking corpses and living dead, and as he wasn't the focus of the big fight happening probably decided to hide away. However, when put in a position where he is part of the issue, he displays good courage and character, and is not easily intimidated by others. Years of being bullied by his mother molded him well.
    I guess u r right. He must have dealt with even stranger mood swings from his mother. So, he was unfazed by XYK's strange behavior.

I also notice that he was not intimidated by XYK at all, and sometimes even acted like he is XYK's equal. This is clearly shown at the scene where he treated XYK to a big meal. He just said 'You have no money, so, your illness is most probably caused by over-starvation. Let us go to the resturant and have a good meal.' and then pulled XYK in without asking and even ordered all the dishes himself.

A question, though, I translated Gouzazhong as 'Mongrel' because I took the word 'Gou' literally as a 'dog', hence the phrase meaning 'dog half-breed' meaning mongrel. Is the 'gou' literal, or purely derogatory?
    'Gou' is usually literal when it is applied to a dog, but when it is applied to people, 'gou' is almost always (99.9999%) derogatory. Common examples include 'gou guan' [狗官] ('damned/cursed officer), 'gou zei' [狗贼] ('damed/cursed thief') and 'gou nan-nü' [狗男女] (usually in reference to a couple in an unacceptable relationship/affair). 'Gouzazhong' is regarded as the worst of the lot, as it labels a person as an illegitimate product of indiscreet parent(s).

Later on, the reason why the little beggar is called 'Gouzazhong' will be revealed, but before that happens, the name itself will make the beggar (and his grown-up persona, Shi Potian) the brunt of raised eyebrows and jokes. That's why I reverted to using 'Gouzazhong' although I really like the name 'Mongrel' very much. I think 'Mongrel' is very appropriate given the audience here, but it has somehow diluted the socio-cultural significance of 'Gouzazhong' to some extent.
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 08-16-05 at 10:54 AM.

Yay! more translation to read at work =P Time will go by sooo much faster now. Many thanx =)
    "Power tends to corrup and absolute power corrupt absolutely" ~ Lord Acton

That's why I reverted to using 'Gouzazhong' although I really like the name 'Mongrel' very much. I think 'Mongrel' is very appropriate given the audience here, but it has somehow diluted the socio-cultural significance of 'Gouzazhong' to some extent.
    I'm a dog lover. Mongrel sounds too cute.. ;-)

Just rambling..

How many of you guys actually read this novel? Since you seem to know what will happen in the later part of Chapter 3 (it is like coming attractions )

HuangYushi thank you so much for the translations. This story seems like a very interesting one and I'm looking forward to your further efforts!