Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Xia Ke Xing translation

Wonder when is A'Huang going to reappear. In the series, GouZhaZhong found him fairly early and he stayed with GouZhangZhong during the boy's stay in Skyscraper Cliff. But in the book, even after GouZhangZong turned 18, he has still not yet appeared.
    Last edited by kidd; 08-25-05 at 02:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi
    You're welcome. I've just posted the second half of the fight between the Clan of Eternal Happiness and the Benevolent Elder, so you may want to check that out.

ENJOY!
    Woo, another update, this story is so addictive!. Thanks for the update
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
    It is by the beans of java that thoughts aquire speed,
    the hands aquire shaking,
    the shaking becomes a warning.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Top-notch translation! It hardly feels like a translation, if you know what I mean.. Great read

Thank you so much Huang Yushi! This is indeed a worthy effort and very pleasurable read

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Wonder when is A'Huang going to reappear. In the series, GouZhaZhong found him fairly early and he stayed with GouZhangZhong during the boy's stay in Skyscraper Cliff. But in the book, even after GouZhangZong turned 18, he has still not yet appeared.
    -- SPOILERS --
    A'Huang will not appear for the next few chapters at least. But Gouzazhong will be driving people nuts with his frequent references of "A'Huang this and A'Huang that" ... after which the inevitable question will follow: "Who is A'Huang?"
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by SevenFortunes
    Woo, another update, this story is so addictive!. Thanks for the update
    Quote Originally Posted by xuelian
    Top-notch translation! It hardly feels like a translation, if you know what I mean.. Great read
    Quote Originally Posted by eliza bennet
    Thank you so much Huang Yushi! This is indeed a worthy effort and very pleasurable read
    Thank you, one and all, for your generous comments and encouraging notes.

My apologies that Chapter 3 is longer than a freight train, but it does not draw to a close until Gouzazhong grows up and turns 18! But before that happens, Xie Yanke finally comes up with the "perfect plan" to get rid of him forever!
    So stay tuned for the next update ....
    Soon ... SOON!

hello, I'm new kid on the block
    anyway, thanks for the translation, I love it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_horse
    hello, I'm new kid on the block
    anyway, thanks for the translation, I love it so much.
    Hi crazy_horse! Welcome to the world of Jin Yong's Xia Ke Xing (Ode to Gallantry)! I am glad that you are enjoying it. Do you know that you can give this thread/story a rating, as well as subscribe to the thread? If you subscribe (using the options at the lower left corner of the page), you can choose to receive email notification of updates. Also, if you have any questions or comments about the story, characters, etc, please feel free to post them here. I would be happy to answer them; so would the other forum-ers.

You may wish to check out the Facts and Figures about Xia Ke Xing. This is a collection of trivia on the story, which includes a martial arts comparison of the characters, as well as explanations about acupoints, culture and lifestyle during that era. The Facts and Figures are updated each time the translation is updated.

HYS a.k.a. Huang Yushi
    Soon ... SOON!

Chapter 3 has been updated in its original post:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showpost...&postcount=113

Xie Yanke finally sets his plan to get rid of Gouzazhong into motion!

Notes/Explanations on things like the 'Foot Shaoyin Channel of the Kidney' and such are found in Facts and Figures.

---

There are about five more screenfuls of text to go before Chapter 3 ends ... and Chapter 4 begins!

In the meantime, ENJOY!

PS: What do you think of Xie Yanke before and after knowing/reading about his plan to get rid of Gouzazhong? Any thoughts/comments to share?
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 08-28-05 at 11:22 AM.
    Soon ... SOON!

Hmmm... Well, I would have to say that Xie Yanke is not the nicest guy in the world. In fact, I would have to say that despite his dedication to keeping his word, he really comes across more as someone that I would expect to be a villian. (Especially in Jin Yong's world, were protagonists are usually a little... nicer.)

The ironic thing is that if he would just explain to Gouzazhong what was going on, I bet that he would be willing to ask Xie Yanke for something, just to be nice. But Xie Yanke is so untrusting that I don't think that would ever occur to him. :P

As to "killing" him by teaching him dangerous things... I guess I would consider trying to get him eaten by wild animals to be just as bad. I mean yeah, it's a bad thing to do, but it doesn't suprise me from Xie Yanke. I mean, he has made it clear he would kill Gouzazhang in a heartbeat if he hadn't promised not to harm the emblem holder...

Oh, and thanks again for translating! (Forgot to add that...)

Hi crazy_horse! Welcome to the world of Jin Yong's Xia Ke Xing (Ode to Gallantry)! I am glad that you are enjoying it. Do you know that you can give this thread/story a rating, as well as subscribe to the thread? If you subscribe (using the options at the lower left corner of the page), you can choose to receive email notification of updates. Also, if you have any questions or comments about the story, characters, etc, please feel free to post them here. I would be happy to answer them; so would the other forum-ers.

You may wish to check out the Facts and Figures about Xia Ke Xing. This is a collection of trivia on the story, which includes a martial arts comparison of the characters, as well as explanations about acupoints, culture and lifestyle during that era. The Facts and Figures are updated each time the translation is updated.

HYS a.k.a. Huang Yushi
    Thanks for the info. I have always been a huge fan of wuxia novel

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

XY was a gifted martial artist but why didn't he recognize the inner power techniques were that advanced, maybe, the truth, the simpiler things are, the more profund there are.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    XY was a gifted martial artist but why didn't he recognize the inner power techniques were that advanced, maybe, the truth, the simpiler things are, the more profund there are.
    You mean the techniques on the clay figurines? That is because those really are basic inner power techniques, not advance one. Further into the story, it will be revealed what is so special about the figurines.

P.S. I actually haven't reach that part yet myself. I know the secret from the China version of XKX. So, to those who have read the book, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Anatman
    The ironic thing is that if he would just explain to Gouzazhong what was going on, I bet that he would be willing to ask Xie Yanke for something, just to be nice. But Xie Yanke is so untrusting that I don't think that would ever occur to him. :P
    I think even if it did occur to him, his pride will prevent him from asking favours from a little boy. Remember the old man's map? There is nothing to be ashame of to pick up the map to have a look. But his pride prevent him from doing so, eventhough he is dying to know what is written on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by kyss of the sword
    XY was a gifted martial artist ....
    That's an interesting observation, and I'd very much appreciate it if you could provide us with some insight as to why Xie Yanke is considered a "gifted martial artist".
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    You mean the techniques on the clay figurines? That is because those really are basic inner power techniques, not advance one. Further into the story, it will be revealed what is so special about the figurines.
    P.S. I actually haven't reach that part yet myself. I know the secret from the China version of XKX. So, to those who have read the book, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    No, you're not wrong. The China adaptation got things right on that one. In terms of the novel text, the secret will be revealed in ... Chapter 4!

---

I'm almost finished with the translation of Chapter 3; just 3 screenfuls of text left!

HYS
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by Anatman
    Hmmm... Well, I would have to say that Xie Yanke is not the nicest guy in the world. In fact, I would have to say that despite his dedication to keeping his word, he really comes across more as someone that I would expect to be a villian. (Especially in Jin Yong's world, were protagonists are usually a little... nicer.)
    So, in your opinion, is he a villian? Or does he not qualify as one?

Why do you think Gouzazhong would be willing to ask Xie Yanke for something, just to be nice? He seems quite stubborn about his "I don't beg" point of view. Would he change his stand if he knew what was going on?

As to "killing" him by teaching him dangerous things... I guess I would consider trying to get him eaten by wild animals to be just as bad. I mean yeah, it's a bad thing to do, but it doesn't suprise me from Xie Yanke. I mean, he has made it clear he would kill Gouzazhang in a heartbeat if he hadn't promised not to harm the emblem holder...
    Yeah, that was bad. What do you think happened to the two people who handed him the first and second emblems (since Gouzazhong's is the 3rd)? Would Xie Yanke have fulfilled their requests?

---

Just some questions to get a discussion going ....

---

Oh, and thanks again for translating! (Forgot to add that...)
    Oh, no need to say thanks with every post!

HYS
    Soon ... SOON!

Why do you think Gouzazhong would be willing to ask Xie Yanke for something, just to be nice? He seems quite stubborn about his "I don't beg" point of view. Would he change his stand if he knew what was going on?

HYS
    Actually I think he would, since then he wouldn't really be begging, rather he would be doing an old man a favour. A different matter entirely. Which is also the reason whjy XY would never do it, his personal pride would enable him to live with the thought of tricking someone into begging for something simple. But to turn it around and actually have him in essence beg a beggar boy to release him, now THAT he would never be able to live with.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion,
    It is by the beans of java that thoughts aquire speed,
    the hands aquire shaking,
    the shaking becomes a warning.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

From Huang Yushi-
    So, in your opinion, is he [Xie Yanke]a villian? Or does he not qualify as one?
    Interesting quesiton.
    So far he has shown, well, at least "restraint" in not killing the Snow Mountian people, Min Rou and Shi Qing. However, then he did steal the swords. And then, by inaction he caused the death of Dabei Laoren, tried to get Gouzazhong eaten.
    So overall, I would still put him in the dark side of neutral- compared to most people that are introduced as villians, he is still pretty tame, but for Jin Yong, he is definately not a "hero."
    However, even Jin Yong has some dark protagonists- look at Mu Wan Qing in DGSD. And for Gu Long, it wouldn't even be an issue (Xi Men Chui Xue!)

Yeah, but his rationale was that he doesn't want to ask for things because if people don't offer, it means they don't want to give it to him. And he tries to do nice things for Xie Yanke. If he knew that Xie Yanke wanted to do something for him, but needed him to ask first, would his reasons for not begging still be valid?

Yeah, that was bad. What do you think happened to the two people who handed him the first and second emblems (since Gouzazhong's is the 3rd)? Would Xie Yanke have fulfilled their requests?
    Heh. Well, after he did their request, they would no longer be the holder of the emblem, would they? I am guessing that if they were initially his "friends" then they were fine. Otherwise I am guessing they are toast. And he doesn't seem to have many friends...

Ai ya... Sorry for the rambling. Kind of a long post.

Oh, and thanks for translating.

Chapter 3 has been updated in the original post:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showpost...&postcount=113

It's finally FINISHED!!!

---

Chapter 4 - The Leader of the Clan of Eternal Happiness is found in the next post:
    http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showpost...&postcount=161

ENJOY!
    Last edited by HuangYushi; 08-31-05 at 12:44 PM.
    Soon ... SOON!