Thread: Hawaii

Default Hawaii

I'm planning on taking a trip to Honolulu, Hawaii around mid-August with my boyfriend.
    We're thinking of staying there for about two weeks, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any good, but still affordable, places to stay? Hotels can get expensive, and I'm not sure how unsketchy hostels are. Thanks!
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by xJadedx View Post
    I'm planning on taking a trip to Honolulu, Hawaii around mid-August with my boyfriend.
    We're thinking of staying there for about two weeks, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any good, but still affordable, places to stay? Hotels can get expensive, and I'm not sure how unsketchy hostels are. Thanks!
    I have family there so it helps not staying at hotels. But I have family who works at the Waikiki Sheraton and family member gets discount. Haha, I guess I can't help you much there.

But while you're there you should try out the Round Island Tour which includes the Bishop Museum (where you learn about Hawaiian history), A Replica of a ancient Japanese temple, Pineapple Plantation, Orchid farm (the orchids there are cheap under 10$ and absolutely beautiful), and you get to see some beaches too and more.

You should definitely check out the flea market they have there near the stadium, they have lotsa cool stuff i.e. paintings on super large folding fans, Hawaiian dresses, jewelry, gift t-shirts, undergarments, and lotsa other stuff. I'm sure you can bargain and haggle for good prices there too. I bought wrist watches there too.

Ala Moana (sp?) Mall is somewhat big, though I've seen bigger where I am.

If you like Korean food, theres some good cheap Korean places there too.

Oh yeah! If you get a chance to go to the Polynesian Culture Center, I recommend you go there too. They got hula dancers, fire spitters, and you get to learn lots about the culture too.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 04-08-10 at 05:41 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

http://honolulu.metromix.com/

Go there for some reviews and ratings.

Not everything has to be in a traditional restuarant for the food to be good. I was walking around Honolulu during lunch time and I noticed this corner shop opening up and there was a pretty good size line. So I checked it out and if the locals are lining up for some food, it must be good. And it was probably one of the better Hawaiian mix plate lunch I had during my whole trip.

It wasn't anything fancy...just a small kitchen with one person taking orders and two others filling the orders. The seating was 3 picnic tables and the building looked like it used to be a garage but oh my....the lau lau and kalua pork and the curry was out of this world. Much better than the highly rated Ono restuarant.

Anyhow, just go and explore. You'll find something good all the time. Also, go check out Uncle Bo's. They have some pretty good pupu (hawaiian for appetizers)...the Thai steamer clams was the best!
    "my only fear of death is reincarnation...back into this life of strife" - 2pac

Try taking a look at vrbo.com (vacation rentals by owner). We used that to book our accommodations last June on Maui and the Big Island and got nice oceanview/oceanfront 1 bedroom condos for between $125 - 175 / nt, significantly less than an equivalent quality hotel room. Condos without the view would average less than that.

I'm not sure what the prices are for Honolulu, but have a look.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll definitely look into these. I'm really liking the pineapple plantation thing.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'll definitely look into these. I'm really liking the pineapple plantation thing.
    I think it's called the Dole Plantation. They serve pineapple sherbert, ice cream, smoothies, jam, and more.

Hawaii is beautiful, they have all sorts of exotic flowers and flower trees in the streets I've passed by.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

make sure you pass by hanauna bay. it's basically a shallow end "snorkleling" area right next to the beach, where the fish will swim right next to your feet. it's been one of my all time favorite areas.

if you're a nature person, waimea valley & bay are nice. waimea falls park is like a poor man's version of polynesia culture center in terms of shows, but the valley itself is really nice. also, Waimea Bay outside is a nice beach where you can do mini cliff jumping at your own risk.