Thread: Old Job to New Job

Default Old Job to New Job

I'm starting to look for a new job before I leave my current job.

Any tips on job searching/hunting and places to look for jobs?

How do I look for government jobs?

Oh, and how do I go about writing a resignation letter? Is it a 2 week notice or what?
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 04-10-10 at 07:02 PM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Is it a 2 week notice or what?
    Look at the written terms of your current employment. It should tell you how much notice to give. If there are no written terms, the provisions in the employment law of your country should apply.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

You live in the States, right Suet Seung?

Have you tried this website for Federal jobs:
    http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/

You also might want to try your state website too, depending on which state you live in the url should be: state (insert state you live in).gov and then just click on the employment link. Check county and city websites too. Not sure if your state has a website with links to all the government jobs but for Oregon, there's a whole website with that.

I've been looking for a job myself too for the past few months, but no luck so far. It's very discouraging. I'd really like to get out of my current, sad part-time job.

If your employment contract doesn't say, then usually two weeks notice is the standard. Unless it's something very urgent, like an emergency or some special circumstance where you need to quit right away. Try googling "sample resignation letter."

Hope that helps somewhat. Best of luck on your job search!
    Last edited by botan; 04-17-10 at 02:28 AM.

Good luck with your job search!

A bit off topic: I hate to sound terribly ignorant of the current economic situation, but is it really so difficult to get a job right now? I've been back in the States for a little over two months, but have spent the time sleeping, eating, posting, and what not. I'm apprehensive about going on a job search now since it seems like the recession is much more serious than I thought it was. Or rather, I was aware of the seriousness, just not the impact personally since my parents are self employed. I'd rather not have to work for them though, my position would just be "Slave," and I can't put that or them on my CV.

I was hoping to find a job this year before applying to grad school next year. But now I'm scared. Maybe, I should just get married like my family doctor advised me???
    I like me.

Thanks for all the replies so far, I'm actually got my eyes on a job opening at this company. But right now, I got out-of-town trips, so I haven't sat down to write the cover letter and update my resume much or the salary requirement they ask for. It's what I plan to complete after I return.

How do you write about 'salary requirements'? Any tips?
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 04-20-10 at 01:33 AM.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Aren't you supposed to be coy about such things? Possibly, I would do research first to gage the average salary of the prospective job. I would refrain from giving a hard number, but that's circumstantial according to the job. Probably, I would most likely state a "range" and then tell them I can negotiate if needed.

Hope that helps!
    I like me.

Banned

I am just the same feeling as you!

Thanks for all the replies so far, I'm actually got my eyes on a job opening at this company. But right now, I got out-of-town trips, so I haven't sat down to write the cover letter and update my resume much or the salary requirement they ask for. It's what I plan to complete after I return.

How do you write about 'salary requirements'? Any tips?
    If it's your first job, don't write too much ~ just the average of what's expected (ask around and you'll find out how much others are getting)

If it's not your first job, then just give an inflation of the salary you were getting previously (but if you gave a fat inflation - like double or more, then you better have a good reason to justify why; as long as you can justify that's acceptable ~ )
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

I'm starting to look for a new job before I leave my current job.

Any tips on job searching/hunting and places to look for jobs?

Oh, and how do I go about writing a resignation letter? Is it a 2 week notice or what?
    Kind of late but how did job hunting go? Hope all went well and you are in a happier environment =)