Thread: China tries to sterilise 10,000 parents over one-child rule

Default China tries to sterilise 10,000 parents over one-child rule

China tries to sterilise 10,000 parents over one-child rule

Jane Macartney in Beijing

Family planning authorities have detained hundreds of people against their will in a campaign to sterilise 10,000 men and women suspected of trying to violate China’s strict birth control policies.
    About 1,300 people were being held in cramped and poor conditions in offices throughout the small town of Puning in southern Guangdong Province and are forced to listen to “lectures” on state rules limiting the size of families, the Nanfang Countryside Daily said.
    In the years after China launched its strict “one couple, one child” family planning policy in the late 1970s, abuses such as forced later-term abortions, sterilisations and even the killing of newborn babies were widely reported.
    But such practices have fallen sharply in recent years as the policy has become quite widely accepted and exceptions have been introduced.
    However, officials in Puning launched a 20-day campaign on April 7 since so many couples have left the area in search of factory jobs and have found it easier to have children outside the government-set quotas.
    The county intends to sterilise 9,559 women or their husbands who are suspected of planning to have a second or third child. So far about half that number have agreed to comply, the newspaper said.
    Officials have detained the elderly parents of those who do not submit voluntarily to the surgery or who try to evade the authorities to force them to comply, the newspaper said. It reported that on April 10 some 100 people, mostly elderly, were seen inside a damp 200 square metre building at a township family planning centre.
    The newspaper said: “There were some mats on the floor, but the room was too small for all people to lie down and sleep, so the young ones had to stand or squat. Due to the lack of quilts, many cuddled up to fight the cold.”
    Among those being held was the 64-year-old father of Huang Ruifeng, who already has three daughters. Mr Huang said: “Several days ago, a village official called me and asked me or my wife to return for the surgery. Otherwise they would take away my father.”
    Rules in Puning, as in most rural areas of China, allow farmers to have a second child if the first is a daughter. After that couples are supposed to stop.
    An official at the Puning Population and Family Planning Bureau, who declined to be identified, told the Global Times: “It’s not uncommon for family planning authorities to adopt some tough tactics.”
    Family planning officials are appraised on their success in enforcing birth control policies and sometimes employ such extreme methods if they fail to meet state-set targets. Authorities in Puning have already adopted a tough stance against couples who flout the rules.
    They and their relatives who apply for permits to build a house are rejected. They are also being denied a local cash bonus. Illegal children are denied residency registration, a penalty that means they are excluded from a place in school.
    One official told the newspaper that an investigation would be launched to establish whether authorities in Puning had exceeded their remit. A state-level regulation stipulates that couples who violate the family planning policy must not be punished without proper authorisation.

Link
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle7099417.ece

This is unbelievable! I can't believe that something like this would happen in the 21st century! Even if the country is China, I would think that their emergence as a major player in contemporary politics/economy would place more pressure on them to [at least] seem more....humanitarian?

“It’s not uncommon for family planning authorities to adopt some tough tactics.”
    Well, this statement implies that such "tough tactics" have been enforced before! Is there a definite selective process [beyond violating the one child policy] to choose candidates for sterilization? I wonder if this is some kind of eugenics project to eradicate the reproduction of certain groups of people...
    Officials have detained the elderly parents of those who do not submit voluntarily to the surgery or who try to evade the authorities to force them to comply, the newspaper said. It reported that on April 10 some 100 people, mostly elderly, were seen inside a damp 200 square metre building at a township family planning centre.
    Dude, this is just uncalled for.
    I like me.

China has a long.............................................. .................

Ah, **** it...

China is great! China is wonderful! I care about China! Those authorities are caring about China too!
    Last edited by Dirt; 04-19-10 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    This is unbelievable!
    Because this is so unbelievable, I'll have reservations on the truthfulness of this 'news' article.

This 'news' is submitted by a 'Jane Macartney in Beijing' to a UK newspaper.

Western newspapers always like to paint China and the Islamic countries in a bad light.

Btw, try clicking 'Most recommended' and see what's the most popular comments say. It seems that UK citizens are really fed up with having to support those welfare receivers who abuse/took advantage of the welfare system.

Related article: Why work when I can get £42,000 in benefits a year AND drive a Mercedes?
    Last edited by kidd; 04-20-10 at 02:49 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Thanks for the insight kidd.

Oh yeah.
    China has a long.............................................. .................

Ah, **** it...

China is great! China is wonderful! I care about China! Those authorities are caring about China too!
    I am sorry Dirt that you are so distressed. It's ok.
    I like me.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    Western newspapers always like to pain China and the Islamic countries in a bad light.
    Do western newspapers do the same to India too?
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Quote Originally Posted by remember_Cedric View Post
    Do western newspapers do the same to India too?
    I haven't noticed... but my perception is that India is viewed as a lesser threat.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    I haven't noticed... but my perception is that India is viewed as a lesser threat.
    I haven't seen so I was curious as most of the news talks about how the western countries 69 with China and the Islamic countries.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?

Oh, it's quite believable. The Chinese countryside can be a rough, rough place. The norms and mores of the 21st century hasn't quite fully permeated in many of these places, and it's commonly understood by many Chinese that local governments in rural areas tend to be the worst, because there is poor oversight from the central government and few checks and balances; by contrast, the larger cities, which attract a great deal of scrutiny (comparatively), are generally better led.

See the link for some examples of signs/banners/propaganda in rural areas.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I am sorry Dirt that you are so distressed. It's ok.
    Thanks.

I've certainly gained an appreciation for our Founding Father's genius and vision for not allowing those who were not born in the USA to become President. I always thought it was such a tragedy that Hamilton couldn't run.

well, if thats what they are doing to keep the population in check, that's certainly a very screwed up way of doing; but of course we can do it to animals....keep our pets sterilized for our own conviniences.
    o wilku mowa...♪

The only thing I need to know is that I don't know anything.

When I read "China tries to sterilise 10,000 ....", my mind automatically links to cats or dogs for the continuation. Then I read parents (humans)..... communism went overboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    well, if thats what they are doing to keep the population in check, that's certainly a very screwed up way of doing; but of course we can do it to animals....keep our pets sterilized for our own conviniences.
    I wonder how the pets feel being sterilised involuntarily.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Not very happy about it, apparently. Not sure about the females, but I heard neutered male dogs will look crestfallen and start moping around in distress.

Not very happy about it, apparently. Not sure about the females, but I heard neutered male dogs will look crestfallen and start moping around in distress.
    Off-topic:

Let me share this and see what's your view on it.

Some guy, trying to make a documentary in Africa or some countries, was challenged by a roaming tiger whom he was trying to catch in film. The guy, apparently did not die because the tiger's intention was not to make him its meal, shared that the adult tiger pressed him on the ground with a rising paw intimidating him (seem to send a warning), gave a thunderous roar and shove away his camera. The tiger then let him go and walk off with pride.

He was only one of the many victims who get it from the animals of the nature in that documentary which talks about some daredevils' encounter with "animals of the nature strikes back". Humans, no matter how supreme, need to respect what must be respected.

While we're at that, check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNGGbozilko

Deer KO human very funny! Even deers who possess that "bimbo look" got a temper too!

This is interesting. Animals' interaction. At 1:39, the deer gave that "WTF" look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRzzB...eature=related
    Last edited by remember_Cedric; 04-21-10 at 02:30 AM.

Do they provide this service to other countries? Australia have a couple millions of bogans and feminists that I'd like to send their way.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

did you hear it from me? lol...because my friend's puppy went through an op, and he went from the hyperactive doggie to one that moped around, lacking energy.

my friend did it to stop him from humping anything in sight - which was in other words, 'inconvinience for the master'.

see....of course it is allowed when they are 'mere animals'.

o wilku mowa...♪

Quote Originally Posted by Lucre View Post
    did you hear it from me? lol...because my friend's puppy went through an op, and he went from the hyperactive doggie to one that moped around, lacking energy.

my friend did it to stop him from humping anything in sight - which was in other words, 'inconvinience for the master'.

see....of course it is allowed when they are 'mere animals'.

Before this post of yours I was only 60% sure it was you. Now I'm 100% I heard it from you.

Before this post of yours I was only 60% sure it was you. Now I'm 100% I heard it from you.
    i sorta felt bad for him, even though he used to bit my toe alot...but its cute and active.

it really went through a transition mood change after the....deed.

my friend called him 'eunuch-dog' to tease the poor fellow.
    o wilku mowa...♪

You lose your testes, testosterone drops. Sounds normal.