Thread: How much do you believe in Amazon reviews?

Default How much do you believe in Amazon reviews?

I often to go amazon to read reviews of books I'm interested in. But, many people are skeptical of amazon reviews especially the good ones because there's supposedly a practice of authors giving good reviews for one another's books and also people being hired to give good reviews. There's also speculation of the reversed where rivals give very negative reviews to other.

So, how much to do believe in amazon reviews? Do you believe the one star review more or the 5 stars or you choose the 3 stars one?
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I usually look at their review history, and if they've reviewed something I know of, I compare how similar their opinions are to mine.

I love to read reviews, sometimes to the point that I get distracted from buying the book! Frankly, I don't always let the review sway me from my original decision to purchase a book. Once I decide I want something, I just get it.

Sometimes people have not even read the book but will leave review opinions and stats for it. This really pisses me off when it happens. I think most people who like a book are not actually inclined to leave a review. Conversely, there are some haters who are likely to bash something for any trivial dislike. I've never thought it to be more complicated then this, people like to complain. I do think that sometimes people do have jusified opinions, but I still do what I want.
    I like me.

I read all reviews and take them at face value. If there are more 5 stars, I'll buy the product, if there are more 1 star, no buy. I was gonna buy a new battery for my cell phone from there because the price was super cheap, but after reading and seeing there were more negative reviews, I changed my mind.

Just google "Robert Stanek+fraud" or "Robert Stanek+fake reviews" for a good laugh and see how reliable amazon reviews are.

I always evaluate the information content of the review. A good review should cover the strength as well as the weakness of the product (unless the product is bona fide garbage). One that only contains praise or negativity is more likely to be a bogus review, and even if it were a real review, the fact that the reviewer is so one-sided makes the review less helpful anyway.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by ByTmE View Post
    I think most people who like a book are not actually inclined to leave a review.
    But this is different in amazon. Most of the books I check out in amazon, 5 stars review always outnumber other stars by quite a big margin. So, most of it will get overall 4 stars or 4.5 stars.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

I don't understand.

Do the high number of positive reviews generate your interest? Or is it coincidental that the books already interested in have a high number of positive reviews? Wait, I think I lost my train of thought...let us go to the original question.

So, how much to do believe in amazon reviews? Do you believe the one star review more or the 5 stars or you choose the 3 stars one?
    I see now. For me, I'm more inclined to believe a 1 star review or a 5 star review. That is, if it's overwhelmingly one or the other, my decision may be swayed. I would be less likely to purchase an overwhelmingly contested book at full price. I'd still buy it on a discount. I would 100% buy the overwhelmingly 4-5 star reviewed book even at full price. For the 3 star reviews, I would continue research and read other reviews. If I had a definite initial interest [vs mediocre], I would buy it.

I like to own things. I started collecting and buying favored books as an adult. To date, I have 563 books in my personal library...and increasing. When shopping, if I was faced with choosing one or the other, I almost always pick both.
    I like me.

I read the reviews, see if it's good then I borrow the books from the public library. Then after I read it and like it, I buy the books on amazon or at a local bookstores with the coupons from the bookstore's membership.

10 years or more ago, I would've bought books right from the bookstore without checking reviews, but nowadays, I have to be sure they're good reads. Back then, most of the books I pick randomly without prior research were actually good ( I still keep them in my collection).
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

How much? If I measure by way of fraction, it's only 1/5. I'll ask around about the product, do my own research and read it from other resource if it is a trully new gadget or such for me.
    What can I say? I'm still standing! No weapon against me shall prosper! I am more than a conqueror!!!

I don't care to sit by the window on an airplane. If I can't control it, why look?