Thread: Do you think the Hsi-Hsia king accepted Hui Juk as his son-in-law too easily?

Default Do you think the Hsi-Hsia king accepted Hui Juk as his son-in-law too easily?

In ancient times, parents had much more direct control over whom their kids married...almost *absolute* control, even.

Hui Juk married the Hsi-Hsia princess in DGSD. I'm surprised it happened so smoothly. There was no objection from the Hsi-Hsia king? Hui Juk was 1). a foreigner (a Han Chinese as opposed to a Tangut), 2). a former monk, and 3). a commoner. Somehow, the Hsi-Hsia king was willing to overlook all of these things?

I guess it's no more improbable than Genghis Khan permitting Princess Hua Jeng to marry Gwok Jing, but at least Gwok Jing impressed the Khan with this character and his prowess. Maybe Hui Juk did the same for the Hsi-Hsia king?

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

it's a good bet that the xixia princess was LQS's granddaughter as well by the xixia king. as a princess, she wouldn't be in the line for the throne so it would not matter too much who she married. plus she sent out the invitation to well known martial artist and princes who were rich and powerful. the xixia king would not have had any problem with that kind of groom. XuZhu made his name as the powerful leader of a huge sect with a great number of subordinates. so he qualifies. he had his own (vulture)palace on tianshan.
    LQS was the one who founded the group of expert fighters for xixia kingdom. she seems to possess great influence for a concubine. likely her granddaughter also is allowed the same freedom to do as she pleases.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Xuzhu was probably THE most powerful fighter other than Sweeper Monk at that time. As leader of Lingjiu Palace and Xiaoyao Sect, his status was also likely to be very high.

Well, in real life, it would be a near impossible scenario.

However, in JY's DGSD, we can see that the Xixia Kingdom valued martial artists (seeing how had the Yi Pin Tang) and the potential grooms were all nobles if not good martial artistes. So it isn't that implausible.

But yes, its still quite a forced plot device.
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Did the Xixia King actually know Xu Zhu was godly powerful, as opposed to just being a good martial artist?
    Reverend Rongku prepared himself.

Suddenly, he toss his hands and screamed: "I am not human! I am an animal!"

The crowd startled at such a bizarre beginning to the story.

I am not even sure that the King knew that one of his concubines (LQS) was godly powerful.

Realistically, having one concubine godly powerful would have quite some implications on palace/harem politics.

BTW, was LQS a concubine of the current Xixia King or his father? I mean, she was pushing 90 so the King she served must likely be 100+++ if he is still alive!
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

likely the current king might have been the son of the king LQS married. but she was only a concubine, so she might not have been the queen dowager. it's not know if she had a son or daughter. if a daughter, then the princess who married XuZhu might not have been directly in line for the throne and allowed to choose a husband outside normal considerations.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Only in the fictional world.

I don't think any princess, no matter how minor her actual "status," could have chosen a husband in the same manner that this particular one could. As a child of the monarch, children are obviously the pawns of their parents to ensure/solidify political power. Even if the child was favored above others which wasn't pointed out for Xu Zhu's princess.

Though I must say, the whole sleeping with your dream man without suffering traditional consequences is quite an appealing plot device. Xu Zhu and the XiXia princess' happenings were quite romantic and simple. How I tire of overly dramatic romances, but this is the stuff that sells, I guess.
    I like me.