Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: CPC tightens the screws on its power

  1. #1
    Senior Member Dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,298

    Default CPC tightens the screws on its power

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100427/..._state_secrets

    They're now forcing telecom companies to rat out their own customers. I'm not sure how this is supposed to make China a better place for its citizens.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Giang Ho, Canada
    Posts
    4,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100427/..._state_secrets

    They're now forcing telecom companies to rat out their own customers.
    Well, if every company requires to comply with the law, then the chinese consumers will learn to accept and live with it since there is no alternative.

    I'm not sure how this is supposed to make China a better place for its citizens.
    Every country is an independent country, she can do whatever she wanted in her country. She doesn't need approval from any foreign country. It's none everyone else business.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Candide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    ( @ )( @ )
    Posts
    4,651

    Default

    China's just catching up with democratic countries. This has been part of the Patriot Act and Free Trade Agreement for nearly a decade now, and that's only on the official record.

    How do you suppose the media industry could sue people for downloading copyright materials in the West, without their own ISPs selling them out?
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

    "I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

  4. #4
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    I thought police can do this with a warrant or something now? The amendment won't much difference I think.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  5. #5
    Senior Member CC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    China's just catching up with democratic countries. This has been part of the Patriot Act and Free Trade Agreement for nearly a decade now, and that's only on the official record.

    How do you suppose the media industry could sue people for downloading copyright materials in the West, without their own ISPs selling them out?
    +1









    .
    Its BIxie Jianfa Gawdammit you guys!!!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    China's just catching up with democratic countries. This has been part of the Patriot Act and Free Trade Agreement for nearly a decade now, and that's only on the official record.

    How do you suppose the media industry could sue people for downloading copyright materials in the West, without their own ISPs selling them out?
    Each case in the USA needs to be treated individually and requires a warrant and, hence, due process. The media industry has to ask a judge for a warrant to get ISP's to give up their information. There is nothing in what China is doing that bespeaks of due process; it's do whatever the hell the CPC wants.
    Last edited by Dirt; 05-03-10 at 12:49 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Candide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    ( @ )( @ )
    Posts
    4,651

    Default

    The kind of due process that allows some greedy entertainment giant to sue a 12 year old girl downloading some Happy Birthday tune off P2P (a trivial "offense" by anyone's standard) for hundreds of thousands of dollars?

    There is nothing in what China is doing that bespeaks of due process; it's do whatever the hell the CPC wants.
    Same in America with the Patriot Act - something that Barrack "Bullsh!t you can believe in" Nobama keeps ignoring. You should check that out sometimes.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

    "I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

  8. #8
    Senior Member Dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    The kind of due process that allows some greedy entertainment giant to sue a 12 year old girl downloading some Happy Birthday tune off P2P (a trivial "offense" by anyone's standard) for hundreds of thousands of dollars?



    Same in America with the Patriot Act - something that Barrack "Bullsh!t you can believe in" Nobama keeps ignoring. You should check that out sometimes.
    I have. I hope that one day, it will be overturned. In the meantime, if I personally get wiretapped, I have the option of sueing the telecom company for invasion of privacy and the authorities have to prove that they had cause to wiretap me: I have recourse. What recourse does a Chinese citizen have except to get a show trial that lasts a couple days and then spend the next 5-10 years in prison?

    I know you Aussies are pro-authoritarianism, like internet censorship, but you guys still believe in the right to privacy, right?
    Last edited by Dirt; 05-04-10 at 10:51 AM.

  9. #9
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    I know you Aussies are pro-authoritarianism, like internet censorship, but you guys still believe in the right to privacy, right?
    The Australian Commonwealth was essentially founded by British convicts. Not sure how that would have evolved into a pro-authoritarian culture.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    The Australian Commonwealth was essentially founded by British convicts. Not sure how that would have evolved into a pro-authoritarian culture.
    The answer, I think, lies in its official name: The Commonwealth of Australia. They still pay lip service to an authoritarian figure. Albeit, only by name, but it means they still retain some of that thinking, the Internet Censorship law in their parliament proves something of this. Australia could easily be the Republic of Australia or, simply and officially, Australia. Also, while their head of government is elected into parliament, they don't elect their head of government; their head of government is essentially our Speaker of the House with executive powers; the people of San Francisco elected Pelosi to Congress and it was Congress that made Pelosi Speaker of the House.
    Last edited by Dirt; 05-04-10 at 03:46 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Candide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    ( @ )( @ )
    Posts
    4,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    I have. I hope that one day, it will be overturned. In the meantime, if I personally get wiretapped, I have the option of sueing the telecom company for invasion of privacy and the authorities have to prove that they had cause to wiretap me: I have recourse. What recourse does a Chinese citizen have except to get a show trial that lasts a couple days and then spend the next 5-10 years in prison?
    Oh please, don't tell us about American justice. Like you have a snowball chance in hell of suing a media giant with ocean deep pocket and an army of bullet proof lawyers.

    Sure the Chinese ain't doing any better, but they know they are under a dictatorship. You Americans live under a false democracy. Don't preach.

    I know you Aussies are pro-authoritarianism, like internet censorship, but you guys still believe in the right to privacy, right?
    The Internet censorship was brought up by a little prick in our government but it has not been passed because the vast majority are against it and in an election year, our pussy government does not dare risk their chance.

    Australia is not a Republic because Australians think it's too much work and can't be arsed changing into one. Australians aren't pro-authoritarian. They're just lazy. Feel free to ask the average Aussie what they think of our glorious PM and the Queen.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

    "I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

  12. #12
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Australia is not a Republic because Australians think it's too much work and can't be arsed changing into one. Australians aren't pro-authoritarian. They're just lazy. Feel free to ask the average Aussie what they think of our glorious PM and the Queen.
    'The Queen' is Queen Elizabeth II, right? Is Australia still under the rule of Great Britain? I always thought Australia is an independent country.
    Last edited by kidd; 05-05-10 at 02:45 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  13. #13
    Senior Member pemberly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    pimptown, USA
    Posts
    4,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
    The answer, I think, lies in its official name: The Commonwealth of Australia. They still pay lip service to an authoritarian figure. Albeit, only by name, but it means they still retain some of that thinking, the Internet Censorship law in their parliament proves something of this.
    don't you think you're reading too much into the name? there's also the commonwealth of massachusetts and the commonwealth of pennsylvania. if anything, it sounds communist.
    nytimes: Every hr you have 10 minutes where youíre not doing anything productive at work, & you canít look at porn. So you make a comment & fulfill this desire to show yourself off as a smarty-pants.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Candide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    ( @ )( @ )
    Posts
    4,651

    Default

    Yes we're a bunch of fairy commie pinkos down here who drink VB, greet each other with "G'day Bruce!" and sing the Philosophers song.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

    "I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

  15. #15
    Moderator Ken Cheng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    22,621

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidd View Post
    'The Queen' is Queen Elizabeth II, right? Is Australia still under the rule of Great Briton? I always thought Australia is an independent country.
    It is, but like Canada, the Bahamas, and other members of the British Commonwealth, they still pay a sort of lip service to the authority of the British Crown (such as it is). That's why although Canada is an independent country, images of Queen Elizabeth II appear on Canadian currency. I don't know if the same is true of Australian currency since I've never seen or handled any, but I suppose it is.

    When Canada and Australia became independent of Great Britain, they didn't cut ties quite as cleanly as the U.S. did.

  16. #16
    Moderator kidd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Somewhere Out There
    Posts
    13,110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng View Post
    It is, but like Canada, the Bahamas, and other members of the British Commonwealth, they still pay a sort of lip service to the authority of the British Crown (such as it is). That's why although Canada is an independent country, images of Queen Elizabeth II appear on Canadian currency. I don't know if the same is true of Australian currency since I've never seen or handled any, but I suppose it is.

    When Canada and Australia became independent of Great Britain, they didn't cut ties quite as cleanly as the U.S. did.
    Oic. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. Malaysia is also a Commonwealth country, but, we have our own Kings and Queens. So, I didn't know other Commonwealth countries still pay homage to Queen E2.
    Last edited by kidd; 05-05-10 at 02:54 AM.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

    和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

  17. #17
    Senior Member Dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    Oh please, don't tell us about American justice. Like you have a snowball chance in hell of suing a media giant with ocean deep pocket and an army of bullet proof lawyers.

    Sure the Chinese ain't doing any better, but they know they are under a dictatorship. You Americans live under a false democracy. Don't preach.
    I think if you asked the CPC what government the PRC has, the last thing they'd say is that they are a dictatorship. They are Socialists the Chinese Way, which includes oppression.

    Also, you're right, we don't have a true Democracy in the USA, our leaders and many of our documents rightfully says that we are a Republic. But it's still closer to a Democracy than your Parliamentary system of government.

    We both still live in countries who believe in individual freedoms. Don't hate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Candide View Post
    The Internet censorship was brought up by a little prick in our government but it has not been passed because the vast majority are against it and in an election year, our pussy government does not dare risk their chance.

    Australia is not a Republic because Australians think it's too much work and can't be arsed changing into one. Australians aren't pro-authoritarian. They're just lazy. Feel free to ask the average Aussie what they think of our glorious PM and the Queen.
    What about the Governor General?
    Last edited by Dirt; 05-05-10 at 10:47 AM.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Dirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pemberly View Post
    don't you think you're reading too much into the name? there's also the commonwealth of massachusetts and the commonwealth of pennsylvania. if anything, it sounds communist.

    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/commonwealth

    As with all words, there are always more than one meaning.

  19. #19
    Senior Member pemberly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    pimptown, USA
    Posts
    4,308

    Default

    man, kentucky is a commonwealth, too? it sounds so much worse then pennsylvania and mass.
    nytimes: Every hr you have 10 minutes where youíre not doing anything productive at work, & you canít look at porn. So you make a comment & fulfill this desire to show yourself off as a smarty-pants.

Similar Threads

  1. Prominent CPC critic gives up.
    By Dirt in forum World Happenings
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 01-17-11, 01:18 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-06-08, 04:54 PM
  3. Passing on Inner Power
    By Mojo Jojo in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-20-06, 03:42 AM
  4. The limits of Inner Power
    By Mojo Jojo in forum Wuxia Fiction
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-05, 02:37 PM
  5. the driving power??
    By cheungsowwei in forum TVB Series
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-24-05, 12:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •